Ys IX: Monstrum Nox announced for PS4

Vergil

Adol goes to prison for hentai crimes in Sony platforms.

Nice plot.

also,

oRMIhLU.png

wait, could this be another Ys game where Adol is not the protagonist?

Edited by Katt

I think they said the upcoming ys game is supposed to take place directly after 8 prior to announcement, and of course adol will be the protagonist. The whole series is built around being adaptations of adols journals(which justifies remakes being drastically different dispite telling the same story), You cant have a ys game without adol(ys origin is the one exception but thats justified since its a prequel taking place thousands of years before the series) thats like having a zelda game without link.

I'm glad to see more Ys on the way.  The new art style looks amazing.  I just hope the translation doesn't get botched again like the original was for Ys VIII.  Yeah sure, NISA or whoever localises it can do a rework, but I'd rather have them get everything good to go on day one.

If Adol isn't playable immediately, I won't be surprised.  Maybe you start with a different character who has to break him out early in the game?

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Falcom is using motion-capture in Ys IX. Beside Celceta, they are also considering other Ys games to be ported to PS4... I'm guessing we get Seven, Oath in Felghana, & Ark of Naphishtim. Some of their developers want another crossover like Ys vs Sora no Kiseki.

You gave me a really good news! More Ys games coming to the PS4! :D

https://www.dualshockers.com/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-first-gameplay/

At 2019's Dengeki Game Festival, Falcom has shown the 1st gameplay of Ys IX. With Monstrum Nox taking place after Ys Seven, Adol is 24 years old in this one & has a longer hairstyle.

I'm guessing the Fall '19 release date means September, which has been typical for Falcom lately.

Jump to 1:49:05 to see the part about Ys IX. There's no HP bars or other parts of the HUD since this is still so early. A couple of new characters are shown here with wall-running & flying abilities. Kondo does wish to remake Ys V, so I'm thinking that's the next Ys game after IX. After the bit about Ys in this video, Kondo also brings up Kiseki.

Ys IX looks like it may well be my personal 2020 GOTY (I'm betting on a Western release by September '20 if not a little sooner).

• 3 months later...

Falcom has just put up an official Ys IX trailer. For Japan, the release date is 2019 September 26. NISA probably will have it ready for the West within a year after that. The ToCS III staff will probably be busy with ToCS IV, but I'm hoping they get good localisers on this one who give it the same TLC that ToCS III looks to be getting.

After the Falcom logo at 2:00, there's a scene of Adol & all the player characters together.

• Like 3

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nihon-falcom-president-interview-feature-trails-of-cold-steel-3-switch-ys-9

Falcom has plans to talk about a Western release, just not until Ys IX has come out in Japan. After it does, hopefully we're not too far away from getting an answer to the $1,000,000 question.

Ys 9 is in development and releasing later this year in Japan. Can you confirm that it's coming to the west yet?

In terms of how we develop games, we're changing things pretty much up until the last minute when we have to send in the master to first party. So we don't like to talk to licensing partners or publishing partners until the game is actually mastered up and we have a complete product. So what that means is that we won't really begin those conversations for the west until this autumn when the game comes out. But you can probably expect, we will start doing that as soon as the game comes out this year, and then you can expect to hear in some form; from somebody that the game will be coming out later on.

• Like 1

More I view of the Monstrum Nox cast and snippets, more anticipative I get. :D Call me nuts (partially am) but I relished the warp/strike in FFXV and can't wait to unleash a variant of it as "seaworthy" Adol Christin. Liking the new playables also, White Cat = <3. Ys IX and Cold Steel III have become top two anticipated upcoming titles for me, and I readily expect I'll highly relish them both. Falcom has become my favorite developer of recent, to say nothing for their prior works; I can chart my Ys fandom back to Oath in Felghana on Steam - speaking of, those recent interviews, by Kondo and such? Give 'em to me. More Ys, more Trails (in the Sky, Ao, Zero, etc.), more Xanadu, new IPs, just don't burn out!

• Like 2

On 19-12-2018 at 1:44 PM, crimsonidol38 said:

I guess that's his punishment after breaking Feena's heart. Serves him right. :D 

That would explain why Adol has so much bad luck at the start of each game :giggle: .

On 19-12-2018 at 3:34 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Nice! This is a series I have yet to play but I'm still looking forward to this one. I'll have to start Ys: Memories of Celceta soon. I've heard great things about Ys VIII especially, at least putting aside the whole translation fiasco.

The translation fiasco was blown out of proportion, there were some odd sentences and names, but most of it was fine.

• Like 1

How the hell is the first I'm hearing of this game? I've played every Ys game bar VIII (really need to get round to it, I even have the game sitting on my shelf), though mostly on PC.

The character designs in the trailer look absolutely terrible, but I guess that's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gameplay however looks great, and the music sounds excellent as always, might even play 8 & 9 back to back depending on how long it takes them to localise this.