EA sales slump $350mm, Battlefield V to blame?

Bullstomp

1 minute ago, Durandal said:

They still make way too much money if you ask me. Year after year the same lineup the same games with only minor changes, especially their sport games, and worst of all they push the microtransactions to a new level with each new game. A cynic would argue that they no longer care for either the games nor the gamers but only for their shareholders, oh wait ...

Truth be told they should make huge losses year after year until they remember what their customers expect from them. But then again all the big publishers are doing the same but some of the at least try harder to please their customers. EA doesn't, instead they shut down studio after studio because they don't make enough money or shut down well loved franchises for the same reasons. And worst of all is the arrogance of their statements, it sounds like they are making the greatest games that everyone wants. Nothing can be further from the truth if you ask me.

I totally agree with everything you said. What keeps them profitable now are the Ultimate Team microtransactions that they charge in Madden and FIFA. Every other franchise they have is going backwards. 

• Like 1

@Bullstomp

Yeah, it really is a curse. The profit from these microtransactions is so huge nowadays, it is no wonder that making good or innovative games is only secondary for them. And even if they fuck it up like they did with that Star Wars desaster last year they still do it because they know people will continue to buy all that in game crap. Makes you wonder why some people even bother to play a game when all they do is buy cosmetic stuff. I guess it's vanity!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Krove-34 said:

They said : don't buy the game , so that's what we did 263a.png

Did you not buying the game cause all tech stocks to plummet?  Getting stock advice from game analysts and game journalists isn't the smartest way to handle investments.  I don't really get what stock price has to do with gamers as a matter of playing games as a hobby tho. 

Do what you do. I guess.

19 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Getting stock advice from game analysts and game journalists isn't the smartest way to handle investments.  I don't really get what stock price has to do with gamers as a matter of playing games as a hobby tho. 

How else is a prospective investor supposed to know if they are going to make a return? Of course a company like EA is going to tell an investor that "X" game is going to have high sales, as they use that investment money to develop the games. Investors view of sales is way different that a game company, as the only care about money. In fact, they don't probably don't know anything about games or care...just money. Even if a game wins awards or sold millions compared to another game, it's about meeting that target sale number (look at BioWare). Investors are milking the cow here. So, when there is PR disasters like SWBF2 or BFV, investors could sell their stocks and invest their money elsewhere.

Personally, I think the future of BF is in trouble...which is sad I like the series. If EA really care about making quality games, they could with patience and investing some of their own resources to make an amazing BF games. Who knows.

This is great news! People are starting to get wise. EA are just a bunch of money grabbing as hats, all they do is reskin the same games every year and charge full price for them, and add further insult to injury with ridiculous DLC and micro transactions. Keep on sinking EA, the games industry as a whole will be better without you! 

I've been boycotting them for years and I will continue to do so. If I have to buy a game made by them, I buy them used

Edited by zer007uk
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, DUDEwithCOFFEE said:

How else is a prospective investor supposed to know if they are going to make a return? Of course a company like EA is going to tell an investor that "X" game is going to have high sales, as they use that investment money to develop the games. Investors view of sales is way different that a game company, as the only care about money. In fact, they don't probably don't know anything about games or care...just money. Even if a game wins awards or sold millions compared to another game, it's about meeting that target sale number (look at BioWare). Investors are milking the cow here. So, when there is PR disasters like SWBF2 or BFV, investors could sell their stocks and invest their money elsewhere.

Personally, I think the future of BF is in trouble...which is sad I like the series. If EA really care about making quality games, they could with patience and investing some of their own resources to make an amazing BF games. Who knows.

Probably the $5.2 billion of projected earnings. The online hate they get doesn't pair well with the amount of money being generated.  Which is the truly confusing part. If the hate also came alone with massive sales losses then these PR disasters could be a meaningful event for investors. SWBF and BFV haven't stopped that Fifa or Madden money from rolling in. 

As far as selling off stocks go. People are getting out because they think the prices will go lower, and they will because of the sell off. Of course, when some random analysts start prattling about how much money companies are making(not that they stopped making money during the stock sell offs) then people load back up causing the stock prices to raise. These people are not selling off based on game to game reactions among fans.

They can make quality games by investing their own money? Well unless you're advocating for EA to become an private company the entire point of being publicly trade is to be able to use investors' money. Which comes with more responsibilities, not less.

Just now, lildunkin342 said:

They've garnered a (well deserved)  horrible reputation from their last couple of releases. I would say that Battlefield 5 is the main cause but it certainly did not help.

They had a horrible rep far before their last couple of releases. They had been awarded "Worst Company in America" on no less than 2 occasions.

Just now, TJ_Solo said:

They had a horrible rep far before their last couple of releases. They had been awarded "Worst Company in America" on no less than 2 occasions.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but its hard to deny that there were not nearly as many people actively on the "Screw EA" bandwagon before the release of Battlefront 2, and each subsequent release has garnered more and more hate towards the greed that the company practices.

Good. 

EA has been a stain in the gaming industry for the past decade. I only buy and rent games they developed/published that are several years old. 

Nobody cares about games that came out years ago. What people do care about is how sales and marketing have fared for their latest blockbuster. Here it’s Battlefield 5, which has done a lot worse than what Battlefield 1 did before. 

The people running that company are just as out of touch and as stupid as the current Trump administration and the United States Congress. 

When you put people on a pedestal, give them the title of executive or politician, and let them sit there they start drifting off into their fantasy world. 

Maybe people are finally starting to see through EA. Which I must say is long overdue.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 6:25 AM, Bullstomp said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vgr.com/ea-2019-earnings-battlefield-5-sales/amp/

EA Revises Projected 2019 Earnings Following Poor Battlefield 5 Sales

Matt Morgan

Although Battlefield 5 has hardly performed on a comparable level to Titanfall 2, which some analysts were predicting ahead of its launch, Battlefield 5 sales have certainly been below EA’s expectations. The company has now given the first indication of just how far below expectations they were; a revision to their financial year 2019 revenue projections. All told, the revision factors in a drop of around $350 million.

Battlefield 5’s launch has been troubled, to say the least. After the release date was postponed by one month, EA avoided launching the game in-between Call of Duty: Black Ops 4and Red Dead Redemption 2; the situation where analysts drew a comparison between the game and Titanfall 2. Nevertheless, it released during a very crowded and competitive launch window. In addition, EA’s reputation among gamers is far from being positive at present; a situation not helped by a number of controversies prior to the game’s launch. Some of these were driven by misogynistic rhetoric online, but others were certainly more justified, such as gamers’ belief that the game was releasing in an unfinished state. Indeed, many of the game’s major modes aren’t coming out until March next year.

All of these conditions combined to cause Battlefield 5 sales to drop below projections at launch. While the game’s release hasn’t necessarily been a failure; (indeed, official review scores have largely been positive), the sales are much lower than what EA was hoping for. As such, EA has now revised their projected revenue for the 2019 financial year, as initially reported by Seeking Alpha. Previously, the company had projected earnings of $5.5 billion, but that figure now stands at $5.2.

EA is also suffering from a drop in shares of around 45%, with a new low for the financial year occurring this week. While this fall does come within a more general fall for the whole of the technology market; something which has been ongoing for several months, that only accounts for a portion of EA’s recent drop. It remains to be seen what EA will be doing in the new year to counteract the projection loss of around $350 million, or what that will mean for the future of Battlefield.

Is this a actual 350 million loss though?

let me explain this by comparing it to the car crisis in America. When all these car companies a few years back were saying they were losing 100+ million dollars after looking into it i learned they werent really losing that much. They actually just werent meeting their estimated profit of what they calculated to make. So the fact is alot of these articles when they say losing, they arent really losing anything, they just arent making as much profit as they predicted. 

if i read the article correct they actually made a 5.2 billion, instead of a 5.5 billion. again they dont say if thats really profited after recouping costs, or pure profit, or estimated really

if they did lose money though i wouldnt doubt it. they pushed fans to far with star wars and battlefield for all these years and i think the people finally stood up to EA by skipping this title. red dead took 1-2 months to complete and will still sell, and call of duty is the alternative to half the shooter community. horrible release timing, horrible game, and nobody wants politics pushed in their face. especially with a awfull game. i couldnt even tolerate the alpha

Edited by melodicmizery