i'm getting a tablet for christmas.

RJP_X

which i requested, however i know very little about them. besides my two younger siblings having tablets of their own. i've always used laptops but kinda wanted to switch to something that appears to be a bit less complicated, over the years i've run into computer issues and sometimes they kinda, drive me crazy.

so i wanted to know if anyone with experience has any sort of advice with tablets. some of my concerns are, do they require virus protection? the only semi-unsafe kind of sites that i frequent are 3rd party anime streaming sites. which what can make them unsafe is ads, however on the laptop i have ublock origin so i don't ever deal with ads. however, i'd like to know, on a tablet is there any ad protection you can use? i know pretty much next to nothing about them.

however i'd like to use the tablet to function for what i use a laptop for, basically internet browsing, bookmarking walkthroughs/trophy guides. streaming music off spotify, and streaming anime. i don't do anything overly complex with computers as it is, so kinda wanted a simplified device to function those needs. i don't even know if you can bookmark pages with them lol.

like i said, over the years i've run into a lot of computer issues, and learned a lot which i wouldn't have cared to known, and sometimes computer issues can be overly far to technical at times that causes stress when you try to get to the root of things. i've had laptops last me years for each one i've had, and i've been especially careful with the latest one. i don't do anything past what i've mentioned in the above paragraph on it.

• Like 1

$40? How old and fifteenth hand is it for that price? My iPad cost me over $1000. Since I got my iPad I pretty much never use my PC for anything anymore as I can do everything but update things on my iPod/iPhone on it. You shouldn’t need to worry about anti-virus software as viruses are far less common on tablets and phones. Having a tablet is extremely handy for trophy hunting as you can have trophy guides, YouTube, notes all right next to you as you game. Can’t say anything about streaming on a tablet as any videos I watch are through apps.

40$ sounds like one of those Amazon tablets (if they were on sale that is) I wouldn't get your hopes up anyway. A gift remains a gift, hence you should always be greatful for it no matter the cost. As for the the go-to option, I would highly recommend anything that runs on Android. 

14 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

$40? How old and fifteenth hand is it for that price? My iPad cost me over $1000. Since I got my iPad I pretty much never use my PC for anything anymore as I can do everything but update things on my iPod/iPhone on it. You shouldn’t need to worry about anti-virus software as viruses are far less common on tablets and phones. Having a tablet is extremely handy for trophy hunting as you can have trophy guides, YouTube, notes all right next to you as you game. Can’t say anything about streaming on a tablet as any videos I watch are through apps.

its new, not used. it was practically on top of the walmart page at the time. had 4 out of 5 stars from a lot of ratings. its by RCA.

how about ad blocker? can you run those on tablets?

10 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

its new, not used. it was practically on top of the walmart page at the time. had 4 out of 5 stars from a lot of ratings. its by RCA.

how about ad blocker? can you run those on tablets?

Having a quick look at the Walmart site I’m guessing you’ll be getting the RCA Voyager? The iOS app store has ad blocking apps so the Android store should as well though I don’t use one myself so I can’t tell you how good they are.

29 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Having a quick look at the Walmart site I’m guessing you’ll be getting the RCA Voyager? The iOS app store has ad blocking apps so the Android store should as well though I don’t use one myself so I can’t tell you how good they are.

ah i see, yeah just looked it up again and it was a voyager that lists android in it, and it comes with a keyboard. phew, that's a relief. thanks for your help. i get nervous with ads as i hear they can try to forcefully download things that give viruses, or even steal your info. the only thing i have of value online is my PSN. 

My kid has an older version of that tablet.  She got it as a hand me down. From her grandpa who bought it and rarely used it. It is  fine. It's not going to impress anyone as the latest and greatest tech, but it works well for general browsing and streaming. Yours will probably be an improvement to hers and be better than fine. Maybe even pretty good! ?

Viruses and stuff are less common on Android than windows. You'll need to get an app for ad blocking but that won't be a hard thing to find in the Google Play store.

If you're using the Mozilla Firefox browser (it's also on Android) there's uMatrix, by Raymond Hill who also made uBlock Origin.  You can use it to selectively block 3rd party sites, web bugs, scripts, cookies, iframes, ads (namely the malicious ones), etc.  I love it.

Edited by gameoverDude189

On 12/23/2018 at 4:12 PM, BigHonkingOne said:

My kid has an older version of that tablet.  She got it as a hand me down. From her grandpa who bought it and rarely used it. It is  fine. It's not going to impress anyone as the latest and greatest tech, but it works well for general browsing and streaming. Yours will probably be an improvement to hers and be better than fine. Maybe even pretty good! 1f61d.png

Viruses and stuff are less common on Android than windows. You'll need to get an app for ad blocking but that won't be a hard thing to find in the Google Play store.

i just set it up today, haven't had a lot of time these past few days helping my mom and siblings set up many christmas items.

i cant seem to figure out how to set up an adblock extension. looks like ublock origin is only for desktops. :c i think i'm in the right place, its called a playstore and there's many adblock browsers which are separate from the chrome browser, but cant seem to figure out how to put one as an extension for the chrome browser itself if anyone knows/can help in that department lol!