Beyond Good & Evil 2 will be always on

MidnightDragon

If you're playing SP & you lose your connection for a moment, that could mean the game pauses when you don't want it to- which would be disruptive.  Your flow is broken, & suddenly the connection comes back.  When the game unpauses... BAM!  An enemy that was offscreen suddenly takes you out.   Watch this game probably go down to $24.99 all too quickly.

Think I'll forget this one until the PC version hits GOG later alongside the first BG&E, if & whenever it happens.

Edited by gameoverDude189

12 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

I'm quite sure they never release always-online games on that platform.

Ubisoft has dropped always-online from at least 2 other games which used to have it.  Silent Hunter 5 & H.A.W.X. 2 for PC have ditched it, while Uplay is still needed.  Even if BG&E 2 never gets a release on GOG, just dropping this certain kind of DRM would probably get me to buy it.

Strangely, the Steam version of H2 Interactive's Raiden IV: Overkill PC port cannot be played offline, even as the game is also on GOG with NO DRM. 

There is one PS3 game I can think of that had it- Capcom's Final Fight Double Impact.  Skipped it for that reason.

On 12/26/2018 at 3:14 PM, Elvick_ said:

And in 10 years you dumped your money into a game you’ll never be able to play again since the servers get shut down.

This exactly.  Losing your progress on a game due to a connection outage is one thing... but this would be the worst.  It don't matter if it's $9.99 or $59.99.  Losing what you bought is inexcusable.

• Like 2

And in 10 years you dumped your money into a game you’ll never be able to play again since the servers get shut down.

It would be a bummer for those that randomly want to play certain games a decade after their respective release but with that constraint in mind why not enjoy it while you can? Oh right...nvm. Rhetorical question.. 

50 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

H.A.W.X. 2 for PC have ditched it, while Uplay is still needed.

That game is garbage from a technical point of view, at least on PC. I think i've never, ever, EVER seen a game where cutscenes literally don't trigger and you directly start to fly in empty worlds, and in some cases your wingmen crash by themselves, or if you're using the C-130 gunship, it crashes in the sea... and 7 years after its release nobody knows the cause. In some cases i had to attempt the missions tens of times because of this, it's literally the only semi-unplayable game i've ever seen in my life.

So this always online fiasco aside...I see other posts in this thread of people saying this game was looking bad before this.I watched a gameplay video about a couple weeks ago, and I thought the game looked incredible. I mean it definitely looks like one of those sequels that's a far cry from it's predecessor...basically working on a whole new gameplay premise, but I was pretty damn impressed with what I saw. An open world game that allows me to also travel in space? That alone got me interested. So what were other people seeing that was so bad, that I apparently didn't see?

It does effect single player for sure not only internet issue but because the game will be balance base on multiplayer and will get too much of complicate with diminishing something in the game in order to get youu spend. and of course: story will be watered down.

Many game try to say it can be play single player but in the end you know it isn't going to work well. Look at Anthem, i bet you you can't just play on your own in the end because enemy will be too tough even at easiest difficulty.

Edited by FielVeredus

Because I could enjoy countless other games which will still be there in 10 years to re-experience. 

Not everything gets revisited or lasts decades. 

Look at my profile, I go back to games. 

Some games. Not every game. Going back to this game in a decade would require desire from the game and availability of the game servers.  Offline games only depend on one of those two factors.  You still need to get to the point of LIKING the game first before wasting your words worrying what you might be doing 10 years from now. 

Maybe the game isn't for you. Maybe there are people with internet connections that have no issue playing a game for however long it holds their interests then moving on to something else. If that get the desire to play the game again in 10 years and the servers are down then that would be the time for disappointment.

It does effect single player for sure not only internet issue but because the game will be balance base on multiplayer and will get too much of complicate with diminishing something in the game in order to get youu spend.

Many co-op and MP games can be balanced around the number of players present, including when there's only 1 playing. So, yes when there are multiple players together the game will scale accordingly but when there's 1 person the game will still scale accordingly. The few instances of that not being the case is IF there are raid level fights that outright require a team. That remains to be seen and instantly a problem just for existing that way.

They've caught flack for always-on once before & ditched it in 2012.   With the game still being in development, hopefully something like this can happen again.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-05-ubisoft-ditches-controversial-always-on-drm-for-pc-games

Macintosh owners are now locked out of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because of always-on DRM.  When Transgaming, the company responsible for the Mac port of MGRR went bye-bye- so did the game!  Really sad.

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

They've caught flack for always-on once before & ditched it in 2012.   With the game still being in development, hopefully something like this can happen again.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-05-ubisoft-ditches-controversial-always-on-drm-for-pc-games

Macintosh owners are now locked out of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because of always-on DRM.  When Transgaming, the company responsible for the Mac port of MGRR went bye-bye- so did the game!  Really sad.

The efforts to curb piracy are almost always stupid and only hurt legitimate consumers in the long run. DRM is part of the reason I'm not big on PC gaming.

On 2018-12-29 at 6:51 AM, Yen-Pop said:

On the plus side, Jim Sterling will have a real banger of a rant coming soon.

It’s been a week and yet, I don’t see YongYea, LegacyKillaHD, Downward Thrust, ReviewTechUSA or Jim Sterling covering the always-online requirement to BG&E2.

2 hours ago, majob said:

The efforts to curb piracy are almost always stupid and only hurt legitimate consumers in the long run. DRM is part of the reason I'm not big on PC gaming.

YOu mnean that you don;t liked 3rd party software like Denuvo. 

There's always been some form of license management used for games, music, and movies. The NES carts were a form of DRM. CDs for PS1 used a specific wobble frequency for reading and region locking. All these "stability" parches also attempt to detect/ban modded consoles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIC_(Nintendo)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout

Edited by TJ_Solo

54 minutes ago, Max654 said:

It’s been a week and yet, I don’t see YongYea, LegacyKillaHD, Downward Thrust, ReviewTechUSA or Jim Sterling covering the always-online requirement to BG&E2.

What did you expect? I predicted that people would've stopped moaning about Diablo Immortal two weeks after the announcement, and so it happened.

2 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

There's always been some form of license management used for games, music, and movies. The NES carts were a form of DRM. CDs for PS1 used a specific wobble frequency for reading and region locking. All these "stability" parches also attempt to detect/ban modded consoles.

I've never had a problem with the soft anti piracy measures like those found in Earthbound or Arkham Asylum but software like Denuvo is just straight anti consumer because pirates will crack it eventually like always and it's the legitimate customer that's stuck with a game that needs to always be online or one they can simply be straight up locked out of if the company goes under.

I personally don't see a point to it seeing as how pirates always make a crack either months or days later. Companies should find other, more consumer friendly ways, to curb piracy

2 minutes ago, majob said:

I've never had a problem with the soft anti piracy measures like those found in Earthbound or Arkham Asylum but software like Denuvo is just straight anti consumer because pirates will crack it eventually like always and it's the legitimate customer that's stuck with a game that needs to always be online or one they can simply be straight up locked out of if the company goes under.

I personally don't see a point to it seeing as how pirates always make a crack either months or days later. Companies should find other, more consumer friendly ways, to curb piracy

I don't know what anti-consumer and consumer friendly means in the context of how you're using them.

When BG&E2 releases I will play it for however long it holds my interest. The company going out of business, servers getting shut down, the Sun running out of hydrogen...all matters that may come to pass but aren't going to kill the limited amount of time I will have access to this game.

13 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Not so much reason to mod consoles now that Sony & Microsoft don't region lock.

I've played some PC games with Denuvo.  While I have not personally had trouble with it, I'm glad when I hear about it being removed from a game because there are some who report problems with it.    Katsuhiro Harada has blamed Denuvo for some performance issues with Tekken 7 on PC, calling it a "problem with encryption program".  Akuma's Shakunetsu Hadoken caused the game to lag sometimes, but with that being awhile ago, I'm sure that's been fixed.  Rime has had Denuvo officially removed, & is said to run better.