Can we make it so platinum achievers can vote on the difficulty of a game and also show that in the guides?

Quink666

Just now, Hakoom said:

i would also recomend a true platinum time vote.. ( more accurate)

many games ive seen have a platinum time of 10mins or 30mins when they actualy are 2~4hours in real gaming time 

it confuses trophy hunters 

That would be awesome aswell. As a competing site has this feature in their guides i should be possible? 

I just prefer using the guides on here since im lazy and i'm only 1 click away and it scrolls me down to where i want to go.

Having the guide author opinions on both time and difficulty and below that we get a community opinion.

Good idea. I still go to .org to the platinum difficulty forum of a game if I want to know how hard a game is. Especially the comments are always helpfull. Would be nice to see something similar on this site.

• Like 3

I guess the comment section is there for a reason. I check the comments before fully reading the guide because I might find some useful stuff there - other solutions, other opinions, a critic to the guide itself.

Either way, it’s hard to tell a precise rank for each game. You might be good at racing games and give it a 2/10 while other people are an absolute 10/10 :D I rather start the game in an alternative account and give it a try, ratings like that don’t affect my interests...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Banana_Sausage47 said:

This would be a nice addition.

Hahahahaha thanks for making my day! Love that DSP gif!

1 minute ago, TurtlePM said:

I guess the comment section is there for a reason. I check the comments before fully reading the guide because I might find some useful stuff there - other solutions, other opinions, a critic to the guide itself.

Either way, it’s hard to tell a precise rank for each game. You might be good at racing games and give it a 2/10 while other people are an absolute 10/10 :D I rather start the game in an alternative account and give it a try, ratings like that don’t affect my interests...

Yeah but if only platinum achievers can vote on it or people with high completion i think you would get a fairly accurate rank/time. On other sites it seems to work fine but anyone with a account can vote there since there is no way of checking if you own the game or have the platinum. 

Yeah you can check the comments but few actually do unless they have questions.

1 minute ago, eigen-space said:

I personally know that when I write guides, I assume that people will have an easier and quicker time with things than I did because I'm literally handing people a roadmap on how to most efficiently get their trophies. Sometimes just figuring out how to solve a puzzle, finding the best place to grind, or figuring out a boss strategy on your own can take HOURS... but if you would have known from the beginning, it would reduce it by half. Same goes for difficulty if the guide gives really good info about leveling or gear builds, etc. If a player uses a guide as a last resort, then I could definitely see the times/difficulty I input as being underestimates.

I also feel like player bias comes into play with guides-- players familiar with and good at genres tend to write the guides, so it might be harder or more time consuming for a non-genre player.

I think it would be interesting to implement something like you suggest. Might give more reasonable estimates of an overall player base, especially for games with high volumes of players (I would imagine skewed data with low player bases).

Maybe have it so the author of the guide can choose to have this feature or not? 

If the author feels really confident in the diff/time estimates he/she has choosen maybe they decide not to use this feature.

I don't think it should be limited to just platinum holders, but rather anyone who has the game on their profiles? Other than that, I strongly agree with this suggestion. I often find the difficulties and time needed on this site is skewed a bit low. Most other trophy sites have this implemented and there is usually a consensus around the average time/difficulty so it shouldn't be too skewed. 

• Like 4

I'm all for it.  I'd be fine with even going further and just having the community vote shown instead of both that and the guide writer's opinion.

41 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

The comment section will show you people who disagree with the ratings, but people who agree with something are generally quieter.  A voting system would provide a more accurate measurement of what people think than just reading complaints.

• Like 2

I feel like this feature would artificially inflate the score of a lot of games though. Most guide writers are pretty open to what the community says and adjusts it accordingly, but I'm pretty sure we'll all seen the threads where people say a 5/10 (maximum) platinum like God of War is considered an 8/10 because of one frustrating part or trophy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

I once put the platinum difficulty up to a vote for a guide I wrote, just like playstationtrophies does in their forums. No one took it seriously and it attracted a couple troll votes.

Thats why i would prefer only people with high completion or plat can vote, to avoid some troll votes. Simply to get a more accurate score to help people using the guide. You will always get troll votes there is no way around that. On other sites  you always get a good medium after a few votes have been collected.

Did you start a poll or just write in comments or a forum thread for your guide? If it was in the forums or comments people probably didn't want to give a vote simply because some people might not agree with them and that might start and argument. But if you can vote anonymously it will probably attract more voters.

• Like 1

I feel like besides the really easy games (Telltale) and really hard games (Super Meat Boy SF4 etc.)  the rating scale really isn't useful to begin with. For example even the easiest racing game to me is an 8/10 because I simply am bad at racing games while it may be a 3/10 or a 4/10 for the average racing game fanatic. I really don't trust ratings I see on guides or forums unless it is really easy or really hard, and the game's notoriety usually takes care of that for me anyway. The # of hours to complete kind of falls in the same ballpark.

• Like 1

The assumption that a voting system would fix the issues you’re noting is incorrect. As an example if there were voting and the average or majority claimed a game to have a 4/10 difficulty you could still think the difficulty is 2/10. These numbers are estimates that may or may not reflect your personal experiences. Nothing to fix. YMMV and all that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

The assumption that a voting system would fix the issues you’re noting is incorrect. As an example if there were voting and the average or majority claimed a game to have a 4/10 difficulty you could still think the difficulty is 2/10. These numbers are estimates that may or may not reflect your personal experiences. Nothing to fix. YMMV and all that.

Yeah but you get an idea what players feel the difficulty its like  instead of just 1 persons opinions.

That's if people vote but still leaves you with the same issue if their opinions aren't aligned with yours. Hell, even without the voting more people could disagree with you now in the guides you have a problem with. Adding a poll really just shows your how close you fall inline with a group's opinion instead of one person.It’s a lateral move even with the odd decision to stratify the way the opinions are collected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mekktor said:

Then take the number you see and scale it to your own abilities. Good at racing games? Take some points off the difficulty. It's not that hard.

Nobody is claiming that a user voted difficulty rating should be framed and celebrated as some objective truth that applies to everyone. Well maybe you and the other people against it are, but that's clearly not what it's supposed to be. It's a starting point for you to use to judge for yourself, and it's a better starting point than the opinion of a single gamer with who knows what kind of biases.

The same can be said about the single opinion held within the guide. "Scale it to your own abilities" 

However, if that was said then this topic wouldn't exist.

It should be anyone who get at least 10% to prevent troll and 10% should give some idea about platinum difficulty to warrant a vote. it is only 10% because some game it is somewhat hard to come by at first (The Last of Us for example)

I agree that I don't know why some guide on various site state the difficulty that is no way accurate the actual difficulty when play, maybe to attract people to use their guide ?

The best way to do is. Author Difficulty Rating and Voter rating, show both. I pretty much agree with this system, should be very helpful.