Quink666

Can we make it so platinum achievers can vote on the difficulty of a game and also show that in the guides?

78 posts in this topic

Definitely a feature that should be an ADDITION to the current feature and NOT a replacement. If the community is allowed to vote how long it takes to get a Plat, only Plat owners have the right to vote. Someone who has 50% game done in 16 hours is just going to guess the time until Plat. They have no true way of knowing. They could read forums or guides or ask, but still all they are doing is taking data from somewhere else and regurgitating it as their own when they cast a vote. I would trust one vote from a Platinum owner over a million from non-owners. Of course it is subjective, absolutely no way around that but as more and more data/votes are gathered, a better understanding will be achieved. Especially if you add in a comments section with the votes and names so you can look at someone's profile to see what games they play. This of course won't prevent trolls or give concrete evidence, it just helps make informed decisions. The guide's time and difficulty are for the guide. The Plat owners' vote does not necessarily have to be for the guide, just the game and Plat in general and their comments would hopefully reflect this.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

On 12/24/2018 at 3:49 PM, Quink666 said:

Alot of guides put games at a 2-3/10 when in reality it is closer to a 4 and maybe even a 5.

You have as remarkably sensitive plat ranking system if you see that much difference in a guide that says a 3, but you believe in your heart that it should be a 4. 😀

On 12/24/2018 at 8:29 PM, mekktor said:

No, it can't. You have no idea what went into the number that a particular guide writer chose, so no way to know how to scale it. With user voted ratings, you get consistency across games. You know that if racing game A is 2 points higher than racing game B, it's because game A is harder, not because the guide writer is bad at racing games.

What I don't understand here is why people would even argue against this. Even if you can't see the benefits, what do you gain by trying to stop it from being implemented? Especially if you end up with both the guide writer and the user voted ratings? Sometime it seems people want to argue just for the sake of it.

Late to the party, but I agree with both people here. I don't see any reason why we can't have a poll for plat difficulty here, and I'm saying this as a guide writer who often has no idea how to rate difficulty of a game, since I'm completely in a vacuum. 

HOWEVER, I'd rather that such difficulty be separate from the guide writer's difficulty. The reason is, a lot of times people don't use the guides properly, and then bitch that the game is harder than the guide says. Both numbers have relevance, I believe.

I don't think this is going to solve the "2-3/10" problem. It was the same way on https://www.playstationtrophies.org/ . You'd have many people trying to claim that games such as Muramasa Rebirth or Silent Hill 2 are 2-3/10, which doesn't make any sense. The platinum trophy rates on this site prove as much. And that is actually what I feel is the best way to get an idea for how difficult a game is. Obviously looking at the platinum trophy rates isn't perfect, but it's much more reliable than having a group of random people rate nearly everything with a 2-4.