Where To Buy A PS3 Controller?

jjmello23

I'm looking to get another ps3 controller but there are so many bad fakes out there. I was wondering if there was a way to find a real genuine ps3 controller. I would buy a knockoff but all the reviews people say that they break really early in the lifecycle. I haven't been to my local Gamestop but people have said they also have fakes sometimes. Just wanna be able to play games like Bayonetta and use the XMB since the PS4 controller doesn't let me do those things.

1 hour ago, Cobby said:

There's a big website named after some river if I remember correctly.. Just can't quite remember the name. Thames? Nile? .. I dunno summit like that.

Lots of fakes on Amazon too, unfortunately. I started buying mine exclusively at retailers like Target, but the PS3 controllers at these stores are long gone.

Besides the river comment the fren up there mentioned, which is a great option BTW, I'm having a similar issue.

I hate the PS3 cheap plastic controller and would love to use the PS4 controller instead (Backlog is a bitch). In the past I've used a USB controller and can confirm that the XMB menu was accessible by pressing the good old analog button.

My idea is that maybe it's possible to use the PS4 controller connected to a Magic-NS adapter and maybe have access to the XMB menu. I happen to have one but only thought about this after reading this thread. I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know, if it works it will be a much cheaper and better alternative. 

Edited by BifeSTER
I mentioned the select button instead of the button that activates the analog sticks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BifeSTER said:

Besides the river comment the fren up there mentioned, which is a great option BTW, I'm having a similar issue.

I hate the PS3 cheap plastic controller and would love to use the PS4 controller instead (Backlog is a bitch). In the past I've used a USB controller and can confirm that the XMB menu was accessible by pressing the good old analog button.

My idea is that maybe it's possible to use the PS4 controller connected to a Magic-NS adapter and maybe have access to the XMB menu. I happen to have one but only thought about this after reading this thread. I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know, if it works it will be a much cheaper and better alternative. 

I have a Cronusmax and use the DS3 or Xb1 controller on the Ps4, in short I really dislike the DS4. Basically you can use any controller on any modern console with this.

My DS3 from EB was 2nd hand.

You may need to go to "ma 'n' pa" game shops that may sell decent third party company controllers.  I bought battery op'd Afterglow PS3 controllers and they can be sturdy for a time.  You should stock up on that brand before it becomes rare.  Never bother with GameStop because their refurbs are random and they really don't give a ratzazz about old game controllers.

Edited by DeepestTempest
ellaborating

9 minutes ago, GonzoArmstrong said:

You're better off buying a converter that allows you to use a PS4 controller on the PS3. (Converter allows for all the of features to be accessed properly). Technically you can use your PS4 controller on the PS3 without a converter but it blows.

Any suggestions on converters? Does it let you use the PS4 controller wirelessly and let you use the PS button? 

25 minutes ago, GonzoArmstrong said:

You're better off buying a converter that allows you to use a PS4 controller on the PS3. (Converter allows for all the of features to be accessed properly). Technically you can use your PS4 controller on the PS3 without a converter but it blows.

Why does it blow? I use my DS4 a lot on PS3 and its fine. 

4 minutes ago, jjmello23 said:

not being able to get to the xmb sucks and i stopped playing bayonetta because i couldn't do I think the dodge ability with a ds4. 

Doesn't bother me not been able to use PS button after you start console, but yea it doesn't work on a few games due to the triggers. Can use it wireless though which is a bonus. If you really want a DS3 isn't there any game shops or pawn shops near you? If you want a new one though they won't be cheap. 

57 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Any suggestions on converters? Does it let you use the PS4 controller wirelessly and let you use the PS button? 

I use a CronusMax Plus  (https://shop.cronusmax.com/cronusmax-plus.html). Everything works perfectly and it lets me use the PS Button. It is also wireless. There are no games I am unable to play at peak performance.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GonzoArmstrong said:

I use a CronusMax Plus  (https://shop.cronusmax.com/cronusmax-plus.html). Everything works perfectly and it lets me use the PS Button. It is also wireless. There are no games I am unable to play at peak performance.

I may look into this if all my current third party options run out on me.  I really need to stock up on controllers or peripherals that allow me to continue to game on the PS3.

1 hour ago, DeepestTempest said:

I may look into this if all my current third party options run out on me.  I really need to stock up on controllers or peripherals that allow me to continue to game on the PS3.

The cronusmax is fantastic tbh, Though bare in mind that it's frowned upon by allot of online players since you can use scripts and people see it as cheating. These players can't see you using it and I don't see any benefit in using scripts tbh. I've had mine for years and the only real benefit I see is the ability to use the controller you want, I use the XB1 pro when playing online and the DS3 when playing single player on ps4. I also combined the Magic ds with the Cronusmax and got the Switch pro working on the ps4. I even used the Wii U pro to play the entire Dragon Age Inquisition on the Ps3.

Edited by Z1MZUM

1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

The cronusmax is fantastic tbh, Though bare in mind that it's frowned upon by allot of online players since you can use scripts and people see it as cheating. These players can't see you using it and I don't see any benefit in using scripts tbh. I've had mine for years and the only real benefit I see is the ability to use the controller you want, I use the XB1 pro when playing online and the DS3 when playing single player on ps4. I also combined the Magic ds with the Cronusmax and got the Switch pro working on the ps4. I even used the Wii U pro to play the entire Dragon Age Inquisition on the Ps3.

I agree it may be frowned upon by legit gamers, but just like the OP I myself am near desperation with the dwindling amount of quality third party controllers for PS3.  Cannot rely on Amazon or eBay anymore because most vendors likely sell imported half-baked brands or counterfeits.  I just try to keep hunting indie game shops in person as much as I can.  Even the Frank & Son Collectible Show in the City of Industry, California is my Hail Mary of game peripherals.

12 hours ago, RNumbers said:

Lots of fakes on Amazon too, unfortunately. I started buying mine exclusively at retailers like Target, but the PS3 controllers at these stores are long gone.

Only buy from an seller who's order are fulfilled by Amazon and you can't go wrong.

Edited by majob
Miatakenly said Amazon certified seller

2 hours ago, majob said:

Only buy from an seller who's order are fulfilled by Amazon and you can't go wrong.

I don't really remember the details of my order since it was years ago. I just remember it being not as foolproof as I'd hoped. Maybe it is that easy though.

Back with an update, as promised.

I mentioned that I have a Magic-NS adapter but I have the Magic-S adapter and I can confirm that the XMB button works perfectly when using a DS4. 

I recommend not buying that DS3 crap unless you need it for the sixaxis functionality. Just buy the adapter for 20$, plug it into a USB port on the console, pair it with the DS4 and voilà.