PS Classic price ALREADY reduced 40%

Bullstomp

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiIqYfXq8HfAhWwct8KHU-7APcQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2Fplaystation-classic-gets-huge-price-cut-which-says-a-l-1831338278&psig=AOvVaw3PzWYr-5Zhw6dFZM8N-L-B&ust=1546045833695745

In the US the price of the PS Classic has dropped from $99.95 to $59.95 at most major stores in less than a month at retail. So I guess the demand to play Mr. Driller really wasn't that great. Who knew?

• Like 2

So I guess as PS2 classic is out of the question? :/

Sony really did a half assed job with this PS Classic. They couldn't have made it any more obvious that this was just a cash grab while piggy backing off the success of the NES and SNES classic. Only difference there is that Nintendo made some effort with their classic console range. 

• Like 2

I bought one. It was entertaining for about a day. Unfortunately, it lost its appeal fast. Not so with the NES Mini. They just really picked some obscure games.

Edit: I did really enjoy Intelligent Qube, and actually played this obscure title on the real PS1.

Edited by B1rvine

Mr. Driller?  I think I'd swap this out for something else.  I like it, but it's a bit too obscure for most.  Strider 2 would've been a better choice.

I was so afraid the PS Classic wouldn't take off like Sony expected. What Sony should really have done is take the PlayStation TV & rebrand it as PlayStation Classic instead of releasing this new flop.  Not only would you be able to buy PS1 games from PSN, but also Vita ones.

They're using PCSX ReARMed in this.  Why mess around with open source emulation when they've already made their own & it's so good?

Edited by gameoverDude189

This thing deserved to flop given how little effort Sony put into making the thing. It's extremely barebones and even the basic stuff like emulation is done poorly. Not worth the price, even with the reduction. There are much better options if you want to play PS1 classics and many of these are from Sony themselves (Vita, PS3, etc). Instead of chasing the "Classic" trend, they should just make PS1 games available on PS4. There's really no excuse...

• Like 3

When hackers are able to run PS1 games on the SNES Mini and it runs better than the PS1 Classic you know you screwed up.

Seriously I just hope Sony acknowledges they screw up instead of using this as an excuse of why people don't use Backwards Compatibility like when that Sony Exec used the fact that the PS1 and PS2 era Gran Turismo's looked ugly.

• Like 1

Oh Sony, Sony, Sony... tsk-tsk-tsk, you reaaaally screwed up.  BAD.

Like I said, they would've been better off dressing a VitaTV up in a PS1 shell.  It'd cost more to be sure (maybe $150 instead of $100?) but it'd actually be worth it.

I would not even buy a PSC for $20.  They'd have to pay me to take it.

Maybe re-release some PS1 games on a PS4 disc with trophies added?  A bundle of 8 games on a disc for $40 would be fine.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 8:30 PM, DaikichiKawachi said:

I would have given the price point a pass and would have likely bought this day 1 if they had added trophies to those games, but this offered nothing I couldn't already do on my Vita.

Sony should've just taken the existing VitaTV hardware & dressed it up in a PlayStation 1 shell rather than starting from scratch.  Then on PSN they could've sold us more PS1 games to use with it... not to mention offering the PSP & Vita game libraries also.  Too good an idea for them?

Joke's on you, Sony. 

When you announced it and sent out emails saying to preorder now because they'll sell out, I was almost tempted for the shit of it. But I didn't. Then the full games list came out, and I was happy I didn't. Then it turned out there was no one anywhere even close to selling out. Day one release came along, everyone had a tonne of them on the shelf. A month or two later, now you've dropped it from 150 down to 90 RRP, and I'm just like, ho, that should have been the launch price. Fair few places have been selling it for 70-75 as well, Costco have it for 80 standard price, meaning within a couple months you could buy the thing for half price basically without looking too hard... I truly feel if it came out at this price, it would have done well, or at least, a lot better.

The Nintendo Mini launched for 100 here. The Super Nintendo Mini launched for 120. SNES has been on sale for around 90-100 numerous times, and the NES has been 80 odd pretty much every other week. 

This price drop on the PS Mini, puts it pretty much in the same price range of the Nintendo ones. THIS is how they should have started the thing. 150 was too much, I was tempted but couldn't be arsed at that price. If it dropped at 90, which would be $30 less than the RRP of the SNES (AKA 25% less than it's direct, *quasi last gen* competition), I'd have been very interested. Once you hit 100 bucks, you're way too far gone for impulse buy territory, and y'all missed out on Christmas season sales because of it. If you can get a console, with two controllers, and twenty games, for under a hundred, that's a perfect gift, and a perfect impulse buy for yourself (baring in mind, that the full RRP of a game here, is 100 dollars, though you can get most for 60-70 at department stores at launch). 

A micro console, with two controllers, and a stack of classics, for the full retail cost of one single game, released right before Christmas, that description sells itself really, but they cocked it up completely by not dropping at 90 day one. 150, is almost the cost of 3 AAA physical games at launch at Big W / Target (59 is commonly the chosen launch price, I bought RDR2 for 59 day one, Spider-Man for 59.20 (now 39 already, everywhere), and so on). That 60 bucks more takes it from impulse buy territory into "why the fuck would I buy this when I could buy some actually recent games?"

Dropping the price now, after the mark, *after* all this shit has come out over how lazy the thing is, doesn't earn any good will either. It just shows you are happy to screw your early adopters, you are happy to make a huge mark up, you are happy to sell a lazy 3rd party emulator, and you are happy to overall treat your consumers like shit (though, if you have any idea of Sony's stance on cross play, PlayStation Plus value, backwards compatibility, and so on, you should know already). 

Drawing back to my opening line, the joke is on you Sony. 

You took me from being someone who was this close to buying one of these things at full price, to someone who swapped out the lazer on his old dead chipped PSone and bought a stack of CDRs for 3 bucks, and instead bought an NVIDIA Shield TV for just over 200, and loaded the thing up with games from the NES all the way up to the Wii. 200 odd bucks and I have pretty well every game I want, shoved onto a 200GB Micro SD. 150 of that could have been yours, and the other 50, I probably would have spent on getting some pizza and shit delivered while playing said 150 dollar toy. But instead, now I have something so infinitely better, I won't even look at your emulation box until it's going for 20 or less. And even then, I probably wouldn't bother giving up one of my precious HDMI slots for it.