Just my thoughts

XLordXNightmareX

Apparently, PS3 consoles have stopped production in Japan right? Well, what about the problem of the YLOD of the limited number of consoles because of the production that has stopped last year? Would that make the console obsolete and unplayable or would Sony find a way to reproduce a similar console to the likes of the PS3 console so we can play older games on there that are not remastered for the PS4? What are your thoughts and opinions on that type of situation?

You can still find a working CECHA01 today, the first model launched. The PS3s that came after are less prone to getting too hot, but carry some known problems as Bluetooth/WiFi modules failing fast, but YLOD is not that common anymore. In any case, the last generation (Xbox 360/PS3) was indeed the most problematic, as I have read reports of people who bought three units of the same system due to consoles dying. I really hope Sony gives PS5 backwards compatibility with PS4 and any system released before it (the definitive PlayStation). 

Someone will mention PS Now, but that's not a service available in all regions, owing to low average download/upload speeds in the majority of countries. By the way, games that are disc-only, such as Yakuza 3, first Neptunia, Bleach Soul Resurreccion, Silent Hill Downpour aren't available on PS Now.

Edited by Neyaru
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neyaru said:

You can still find a working CECHA01 today, the first model launched. The PS3s that came after are less prone to getting too hot, but carry some known problems as Bluetooth/WiFi modules failing fast, but YLOD is not that common anymore.

Do you mean PS3 slims rather than fats?

Edited by XLordXNightmareX

20 minutes ago, XLordXNightmareX said:

Do you mean PS3 slims rather than fats?

Launch models (CECHA/CECHB/CECHC/CECHE): native compatibility but 90 nm CPU, hotter than anything released after. Incompatible with some games.

"FAT" with 2 USB ports: 65 nm CPU, it's said to be the most reliable system because the hot air actually gets out of the console.

"Slim" + "Super Slim": too cramped + slower fan (hot air is stuck inside), Bluetooth/WiFi modules fail more often.

Japanese "Super Slim": there is a rumor about a model with 22 nm CPU. If such thing exists, might be one of the latest models produced till 2017.

I would buy the latest model available if the rumor is true.

Edited by Neyaru
  • Like 1

It’s best to just pick up a backup (or even your first) console on the cheap (I scored one for $25, 2 years ago) as I don’t think Sony will do anything with PS3 systems anymore. They’ll just direct you to PSNow and like Neyaru said it has drawbacks and not for everyone. Or get it repaired if it breaks but the system might not last long after that (I’ve had bad experiences with all kinds of repair shops, so I try to fix my own stuff now). As far as different systems go, in my case, my launch model got YLOD after 4 years then I got a Slim which is still going strong (knock on wood) coming up on 8 years. Got some good mileage out of it too. Backup is the same model.