Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NL_Sion

California Horned Owl location

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am almost finished with the singleplayer, and at 99,2% of game completion.
However, I also still need for the trophy Zoologist 1 more creature, the California Horned Owl.
I have spend days if not ingame weeks now to find that owl at night.
I have looked at YouTube video's of where others have found him. Lurked at Bear Claw camp in the night, because 2 owl spawn there on the roofs of the fallen building.
In tall trees as well I spend nights near the trapper overlooking the river and scanning the sky.

In all those times I have seen a lot of owl, and they where all Great Horned Owl's, but I cannot find that California Horned Owl.
There must be a place where he spawns for sure?
I am getting kinda desperate...

Edited by NL_Sion

I found "mine" flying from the Bear Claw area towards Beecher's Hope in the early morning time, around 6 am, but that is probably just a coincidence.

It's also the only owl which can be found around whole New Austin. Have you spent some nights in the desert yet?

NL-Zion I feel your pain. Spent hours looking for that.

Finally found mine NW of Ridgewood Farms just above the letter "C" of Cholla Springs.

Good luck to you.

one of the hardest animals for me to find as well. i found one in New Austin, just Northwest of the "C" in "Cholla Springs". it was evening.

i have since found one more while riding through the same area, which is slightly frustrating after how long i searched.

Posted (edited)

I read this entirely wrong. Thought you wanted the Coastal Horned Owl. You could still try this area in my video & hope you get the Californian.

The Californian Horned Owl is a bit of a bitch to find.

Lookup the Zoologist video by GamingwithAbyss.

His video will show the "area" of the Californian.

Once he told me the extra info NOT in his video I found that owl in about 20 mins.

Once you know the location from his video the time is between 3am & 4am. I shit you not bro. That owl will fly over your head towards the mountains. So be on your horse ready to give chase to Study.

Just be careful of the panther in that area. The owl will fly from the North to the North-West between 3am & 4am.

Edited by dokkanexpert
Thread Do-Over

16 hours ago, dalailama1989 said:

I found "mine" flying from the Bear Claw area towards Beecher's Hope in the early morning time, around 6 am, but that is probably just a coincidence.

It's also the only owl which can be found around whole New Austin. Have you spent some nights in the desert yet?

This is a good area too. I found him here too but while trying to study a damn bear attacked me.

20 hours ago, NL_Sion said:

I am almost finished with the singleplayer, and at 99,2% of game completion.
However, I also still need for the trophy Zoologist 1 more creature, the California Horned Owl.
I have spend days if not ingame weeks now to find that owl at night.
I have looked at YouTube video's of where others have found him. Lurked at Bear Claw camp in the night, because 2 owl spawn there on the roofs of the fallen building.
In tall trees as well I spend nights near the trapper overlooking the river and scanning the sky.

In all those times I have seen a lot of owl, and they where all Great Horned Owl's, but I cannot find that California Horned Owl.
There must be a place where he spawns for sure?
I am getting kinda desperate...

Ok i was really hellbent on helping you on this so here ya go:

551dkVx.jpg

Sleep until 12am & between 3am & 4am you will see it fly over you (towards the direction of the moon (west) [or railroad tracks if that helps]).

Make a save at arund 2:30am so you can reload just in case.

The time is crucial. 3am-4am.

Enjoy your trophy!

Posted (edited)

I did it!!!
I found him, he was flying west above Ridgewood farm, exactly the position in the image but around 21:00 time.

Studied him, and I think I did study all animals now, but the Trophy didn't unlock... 😱

Thanks everyone for finding this Owl. 😎
Now I have to see why this Trophy is not unlocking....

Edit:
I was also missing one of the 2 pidgeon species, and now the Trophy unlocked And I also got the 100% one. 😆

Edited by NL_Sion

Guess I lucked out. I found it randomly one night near Tall Trees.

The spot in the above image, between 3-4am... Not a single thing in the sky for 6 in-game nights. So if dude's tip isn't helping you- don't feel alone. Didn't work for us either. 

I found mine in the swamp area like a ton of them I just sleep till night time and about 3-4 show up each time throughout the night both coastal and regular owls

On 3/22/2019 at 1:09 AM, Taliesin_2943 said:

I found mine in the swamp area like a ton of them I just sleep till night time and about 3-4 show up each time throughout the night both coastal and regular owls

This comment. All 3 owls spawn between 9pm-6am in the swamps above St. Denis. They are the largest bird flying around that area. Got all 3 in one night after spending hours at other "supposed" spawn sites.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, TrophyHunterTyler said:

551dkVx.jpg

Sleep until 12am & between 3am & 4am you will see it fly over you (towards the direction of the moon (west) [or railroad tracks if that helps]).

Enjoy your trophy!

Worked like a charm. The owl was the last animal i needed to study. And just like you said, it appeared between 3-4am flying over the farm. For those wondering, it took me about 5-6 nights of standing around till the fecker appeared.

Funny thing about this stupid owl, it took me a while to find it for the story, but Ive already killed 2 in the middle of the day outside Blackwater while playing MP...

On 03/01/2019 at 2:09 AM, TrophyHunterTyler said:

551dkVx.jpg

Enjoy your trophy!

im at this very spot right now, and just as i stumbled on this post, i looked west on my screen and there it is, the owl spawned! HAHAHA