California Horned Owl location

RiverBeaver

I am almost finished with the singleplayer, and at 99,2% of game completion.
However, I also still need for the trophy Zoologist 1 more creature, the California Horned Owl.
I have spend days if not ingame weeks now to find that owl at night.
I have looked at YouTube video's of where others have found him. Lurked at Bear Claw camp in the night, because 2 owl spawn there on the roofs of the fallen building.
In tall trees as well I spend nights near the trapper overlooking the river and scanning the sky.

In all those times I have seen a lot of owl, and they where all Great Horned Owl's, but I cannot find that California Horned Owl.
There must be a place where he spawns for sure?
I am getting kinda desperate...

Edited by NL_Sion
  • Like 2

I read this entirely wrong. Thought you wanted the Coastal Horned Owl. You could still try this area in my video & hope you get the Californian.

The Californian Horned Owl is a bit of a bitch to find.

Lookup the Zoologist video by GamingwithAbyss.

His video will show the "area" of the Californian.

Once he told me the extra info NOT in his video I found that owl in about 20 mins.

Once you know the location from his video the time is between 3am & 4am. I shit you not bro. That owl will fly over your head towards the mountains. So be on your horse ready to give chase to Study.

Just be careful of the panther in that area. The owl will fly from the North to the North-West between 3am & 4am.

Edited by dokkanexpert
Thread Do-Over
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dalailama1989 said:

I found "mine" flying from the Bear Claw area towards Beecher's Hope in the early morning time, around 6 am, but that is probably just a coincidence.

It's also the only owl which can be found around whole New Austin. Have you spent some nights in the desert yet?

This is a good area too. I found him here too but while trying to study a damn bear attacked me.

• Like 1

I did it!!!
I found him, he was flying west above Ridgewood farm, exactly the position in the image but around 21:00 time.

Studied him, and I think I did study all animals now, but the Trophy didn't unlock... ?

Thanks everyone for finding this Owl. ?
Now I have to see why this Trophy is not unlocking....

Edit:
I was also missing one of the 2 pidgeon species, and now the Trophy unlocked And I also got the 100% one. ?

Edited by NL_Sion
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 1:09 AM, Taliesin_2943 said:

I found mine in the swamp area like a ton of them I just sleep till night time and about 3-4 show up each time throughout the night both coastal and regular owls

This comment. All 3 owls spawn between 9pm-6am in the swamps above St. Denis. They are the largest bird flying around that area. Got all 3 in one night after spending hours at other "supposed" spawn sites.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, TrophyHunterTyler said:

Ok i was really hellbent on helping you on this so here ya go:

551dkVx.jpg

Sleep until 12am & between 3am & 4am you will see it fly over you (towards the direction of the moon (west) [or railroad tracks if that helps]).

Make a save at arund 2:30am so you can reload just in case.

The time is crucial. 3am-4am.

Enjoy your trophy!

Worked like a charm. The owl was the last animal i needed to study. And just like you said, it appeared between 3-4am flying over the farm. For those wondering, it took me about 5-6 nights of standing around till the fecker appeared.

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2019 at 2:09 AM, TrophyHunterTyler said:

551dkVx.jpg

Sleep until 12am & between 3am & 4am you will see it fly over you (towards the direction of the moon (west) [or railroad tracks if that helps]).

Enjoy your trophy!

im at this very spot right now, and just as i stumbled on this post, i looked west on my screen and there it is, the owl spawned! HAHAHA

• 6 months later...

I am embarrassed to say how many hours I've spent looking for the coastal horned owl.  I have looked in every location possible.  I can get the other owls to spawn but not this one.  I can get the great horned owl to spawn reliably with minimal hassle at one location in particular so I'm sure I know what I'm doing.  I have spent three real-life hours focused around the above location, following the instructions to a tee, but still no coastal owl.  I have stood at the point where the character is standing on the above map.  I have stood at the location where the waypoint is placed.  I have even stood where the horse is standing.  Still no coastal owl.

I pre-ordered this game and remember putting off the remaining trophies until I had more time but this is just ridiculous.  I did not anticipate it being impossible.  It feels like a lottery, and I have already spent far more time than I can justify on it.  I had hoped to dip into multiplayer but I'm going to lose my mind if I spend any more time in this game.  :/

47 minutes ago, fauxtronic said:

I am embarrassed to say how many hours I've spent looking for the coastal horned owl.  I have looked in every location possible.  I can get the other owls to spawn but not this one.  I can get the great horned owl to spawn reliably with minimal hassle at one location in particular so I'm sure I know what I'm doing.  I have spent three real-life hours focused around the above location, following the instructions to a tee, but still no coastal owl.  I have stood at the point where the character is standing on the above map.  I have stood at the location where the waypoint is placed.  I have even stood where the horse is standing.  Still no coastal owl.

I pre-ordered this game and remember putting off the remaining trophies until I had more time but this is just ridiculous.  I did not anticipate it being impossible.  It feels like a lottery, and I have already spent far more time than I can justify on it.  I had hoped to dip into multiplayer but I'm going to lose my mind if I spend any more time in this game.  :/

Did you try in the swamp area ? I found all of mine there 

39 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Did you try in the swamp area ? I found all of mine there 

I have but for the hell of it, I'm going to try again.  If I still don't have it within the hour (and I'm not hopeful) I'm ejecting the disc and forgetting about it.

Irritatingly someone on YouTube got this owl to spawn at Lone Mule Stead.  I got 18 great horned owls to spawn there not a single coastal one.  lol.  On the off-chance it's of use to anyone passing through, just ride between A and B repeatedly and on your way back to B (between 9pm-10pm and 3am-4am) an owl will swoop over you and land on the chimney.

gIE84s2.png

Naturally if anyone does get the coastal owl to spawn at that location they are going on my sh** list.  ?

Edited by fauxtronic

9 hours ago, fauxtronic said:

I have but for the hell of it, I'm going to try again.  If I still don't have it within the hour (and I'm not hopeful) I'm ejecting the disc and forgetting about it.

Irritatingly someone on YouTube got this owl to spawn at Lone Mule Stead.  I got 18 great horned owls to spawn there not a single coastal one.  lol.  On the off-chance it's of use to anyone passing through, just ride between A and B repeatedly and on your way back to B (between 9pm-10pm and 3am-4am) an owl will swoop over you and land on the chimney.

gIE84s2.png

Naturally if anyone does get the coastal owl to spawn at that location they are going on my sh** list.  1f61c.png

I think I actually camped out in that triangle area on the left I remember it was near train tracks and a bit of water and a feild I ran around in and saw several owls per night

• 6 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 7:09 PM, dokkanexpert said:

551dkVx.jpg

Enjoy your trophy!

Tysm bud you are the best. After a very frustrating time trying to find it and few unproductive/patched spots checked I saw your comment and at the 2nd try I found it just flying over my head. 4:11 exactly. I was skinning the cougar who just attacked me and I saw that damn owl above me during the animation. Tysm as Dutch said I just needed FAITH xD

• 2 months later...
On 1.1.2019 at 10:41 PM, NL_Sion said:

I am almost finished with the singleplayer, and at 99,2% of game completion.
However, I also still need for the trophy Zoologist 1 more creature, the California Horned Owl.
I have spend days if not ingame weeks now to find that owl at night.
I have looked at YouTube video's of where others have found him. Lurked at Bear Claw camp in the night, because 2 owl spawn there on the roofs of the fallen building.
In tall trees as well I spend nights near the trapper overlooking the river and scanning the sky.

In all those times I have seen a lot of owl, and they where all Great Horned Owl's, but I cannot find that California Horned Owl.
There must be a place where he spawns for sure?
I am getting kinda desperate...

I know, there are lots of videos where players found them. I searching for over 2 days for the coastal owl; should also spawn in bear claw but no;( only found one but I killed it and forgot to scan before. So since this time I never found one again. You did?

On 2.1.2019 at 5:18 PM, dokkanexpert said:

I read this entirely wrong. Thought you wanted the Coastal Horned Owl. You could still try this area in my video & hope you get the Californian.

The Californian Horned Owl is a bit of a bitch to find.

Lookup the Zoologist video by GamingwithAbyss.

His video will show the "area" of the Californian.

Once he told me the extra info NOT in his video I found that owl in about 20 mins.

Once you know the location from his video the time is between 3am & 4am. I shit you not bro. That owl will fly over your head towards the mountains. So be on your horse ready to give chase to Study.

Just be careful of the panther in that area. The owl will fly from the North to the North-West between 3am & 4am.

I need the coastal owl. Could you help me where to find it? Thank you

On 22.3.2019 at 6:09 AM, Taliesin_2943 said:

I found mine in the swamp area like a ton of them I just sleep till night time and about 3-4 show up each time throughout the night both coastal and regular owls

Could you explain where in the swamp? I was there too but no coastal owl for me;(

On 23.1.2020 at 0:06 AM, fauxtronic said:

gIE84s2.png

Naturally if anyone does get the coastal owl to spawn at that location they are going on my sh** list.  1f61c.png

Same here! No owl for me after hours? 

I’ll try it at lone mule. Thx

2 hours ago, BumNudlZua84 said:

I know, there are lots of videos where players found them. I searching for over 2 days for the coastal owl; should also spawn in bear claw but no;( only found one but I killed it and forgot to scan before. So since this time I never found one again. You did?

Could you explain where in the swamp? I was there too but no coastal owl for me;(

I don't currently have the game installed but if memory serves it's near a train track and a split in the road and kind of am open field it's hard to describe snd it's been awhile I swear I saw the location in a video or an animal guide may not be specifically for the owl your after but the location spawns all of the owls

4 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I don't currently have the game installed but if memory serves it's near a train track and a split in the road and kind of am open field it's hard to describe snd it's been awhile I swear I saw the location in a video or an animal guide may not be specifically for the owl your after but the location spawns all of the owls

Thanks for the message. I’ll try. I found a video on YouTube (German Youtuber) who shows the owl guide too, and he found it at day, not night. I’ll never found one at the day time 

7 hours ago, BumNudlZua84 said:

found it!!! thanks. You made my Day?.

but no trophy, I think some animal left. need to find the list

Thank you all for the help with the owl. You are all together the first ones who really helped me out!! Thanks for that!

ill hope I’ll find the missing pigeon to. Should be somewhere around annesburg

On 02/01/2019 at 6:09 PM, dokkanexpert said:

551dkVx.jpg

Enjoy your trophy!

My mate got his outside saint denis, i struggled for the california horned owl. Just started spamming the binoculars in that location managed to spot him. Thanks for the location.