Sales tax charged on PSN Store (QC - Canada)

visighost

And now excuse me my French... 

Osti d’bande de crosseurs! C’était pas assez de payer le crisse de jeu neuf 80$ plus taxes, et augmenter le prix de tout? Et maintenant on paie également les taxes sur le PS Store?!?! Me demande pas pourquoi j’achète jamais de jeux dès leur sortie et que j’attends jusqu’aux soldes! J’SUIS ÉCŒURÉ! ? Le Gaming c’est devenu un luxe!

1 hour ago, BeautifulTorment said:

There was also a time when the dollar was on par. The price of everything was still more expensive here. 

It was for about 4 month sept to dec 2007,if we go further the previous time was something like 30 years ago. Game got a price increase in Canada in 2013-2014. So for about 6-7 years game were cheaper in Canada than in the US. In fact as long the canadian dollars is worth less than 0.75$ US dollar game here are cheaper. 

Also with the inflation game are around the same price than in 1995

1 hour ago, Max654 said:

And now excuse me my French... 

Osti d’bande de crosseurs! C’était pas assez de payer le crisse de jeu neuf 80$ plus taxes, et augmenter le prix de tout? Et maintenant on paie également les taxes sur le PS Store?!?! Me demande pas pourquoi j’achète jamais de jeux dès leur sortie et que j’attends jusqu’aux soldes! J’SUIS ÉCŒURÉ! ? Le Gaming c’est devenu un luxe!

Why would some company need to charges tax and others dont? It wont be fair.

Edited by Nieird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nieird said:

It was for about 4 month sept to dec 2007,if we go further the previous time was something like 30 years ago. Game got a price increase in Canada in 2013-2014. So for about 6-7 years game were cheaper in Canada than in the US. In fact as long the canadian dollars is worth less than 0.75$ US dollar game here are cheaper. 

Also with the inflation game are around the same price than in 1995

Why would some company need to charges tax and others dont? It wont be fair.

From 2008 to late 2013 the Canadian dollar was on par ot close to it with the usa barring a 3 month blip in 2009. That is 5 years. Why are you so insistent on suggesting that Canadian PSN prices are justified? For 5 years we paid significantly more despite the dollar parity. Canadians never paid less.

I must admit I did not look much into it, also I am new to the ps store, but games, especially AAA ones, are more expensive on the EU stores, 70 Euros which is about 80 us dollars. I have to wonder if it's a similar tax, or if they are testing how consumers will react to an increase in price. For most of those games it's cheaper to get them retail.

Edited by sillyrobo75

13 minutes ago, sillyrobo75 said:

I must admit I did not look much into it, also I am new to the ps store, but games, especially AAA ones, are more expensive on the EU stores, 70 Euros which is about 80 us dollars. I have to wonder if it's a similar tax, or if they are testing how consumers will react to an increase in price. For most of those games it's cheaper to get them retail.

That's nothing like that, it's simply the 1:1 US dollar to Euro conversion... 

We always paid more than the US, it's no news and there was never other conversation.. 

Said that, nowadays sometimes we get a fairer conversation on some random game prices.. 

Don't even want to think how it will look if we need to pay taxes over it.. 

But at least here in Portugal, the psn cards bought on stores have VAT charged on them, but we don't actually pay it (so, 20€ for a 20€ store credit), so someone has to pay for that.. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

@Han_the_Dragon: the 1 us dollar = 1 euro is something I expected since it also happens on other platforms, and if it was just that I would be glad, but it's not, it's worse because we don't pay 60 euros for Spiderman (for example) but 70 euros while on the us store it's 60 $, from what I can tell it just happens with a few games, pretty much the big titles, so it might be a publisher decision or something then. Now all we need is also more taxes on digital goods too...

5 minutes ago, sillyrobo75 said:

@Han_the_Dragon: the 1 us dollar = 1 euro is something I expected since it also happens on other platforms, and if it was just that I would be glad, but it's not, it's worse because we don't pay 60 euros for Spiderman (for example) but 70 euros while on the us store it's 60 $, from what I can tell it just happens with a few games, pretty much the big titles, so it might be a publisher decision or something then. Now all we need is also more taxes on digital goods too...

Ok, odd. 

I know that since the current gen started they tried to bump the base price to 70€, but it ended up being just for a few games, most release at 60€ with day 1 editions at 70 (usually with some digital perks or steelbooks), but I thought that they were doing the same in the US, so I didn't knew that. 

That's likely because I don't buy many AAA games at release, and the few that I get, I usually get special editions (mainly for Steelbooks), so, I never look those at the psn store. 

8 hours ago, Nieird said:

The price of a game is set in US currency. So at this moment the canadian dollars is worth 0.74 us dollars. If you would have to change your money in US currency to buy the game it would cost you 81$.

If they dint do this and keep the same price (it use to be in early 2000), games in canada would be 25% cheapers. At one point the canadian dollars was worth 0.62$ american dollars, everyone in the State would have create a canadian account to have games 25-35% cheapers. 

For your salary, if you make 20$ / hours thats 15$ / hours in us currency(using the 25% difference). So its not 25% more its the same price with the rate change applied.

Like I already said, I understand how economics works lol. I did go to high school. What I'm saying is that I did not magically start making more money to make up the difference. Where a new game used to cost 6% of my paycheck, now costs 8% of my paycheck. No matter what economics are in play, that's a price increase. The cost of the game technically didn't increase, but the amount of money coming out of my pocket sure as hell did.

Again, I understand how economics and world currency works. I don't need it explained again lol.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:47 PM, NekoRave said:

Can't you just go to stores and redeem PSN codes for face value without a debit or credit? In California and other states those are non-taxable.

If the PSN store itself charges taxes that's when I'd be pretty bummed for the future of gaming.

PSN cards don't have a tax on them but you get charged 10% when you buy on the Store.

• Like 1