Does this game really deserve all the hate??

waterfields1

This game seems to be dead and buried before its even begun and I just dont know why.....

The pre launch marketing campaign was a disaster yes, people said some really silly things.....yes - Robo Lady social justice squad leader was a ridiculous attempt to push a social/political agenda on a userbase who quite frankly couldnt care less and just wanted a good game. Development of the game always felt as though it was on the backfoot, COD announced Blackout and it seemed like a knee jerk reaction by EA / DICE to announce Firestorm....clearly they never intended theere to be a Battle Royale mode, until thay saw the positive reation from the gaming community towards Black Out.

Having said all that, now the dust has settled, are we not left with a really good game? Im having lag issues which infuriate me but the gameplay itself seems more solid and fluid then I can remember a Battlefield game being for a long time. The much talked about additional content seems to be ticking all the boxes (As long as they deliver of course) - and the single player...was pretty good. To me is just seems like a refined, smooth, improved Battlefield, but yet nobody has bought or plays it. Just wanted to throw it out there and see why people dislike it so much? I frequently see people getting the Plat and then declaring how much they hate it and cant wait to delete it from their hard drive....so yea....whats the big deal??

Hey!

I'm currently playing Battlefield with a few friends, it's a nice game.
I played #4 #1 #3 and Bad company #2 too. I loved them all, it's a good shooter. 
PR is an important thing in the gaming world. Gamers are just your money maker, if you insult them, they will just leave your game be and play something else that is awesome.
Lucky for all of us, we have plenty to choose.  I believe the DLC for this game is free, so EA is at least trying to improve their bad reputation.

• Like 1

To be completely fair my man I think you actually do know why this game was buried before it even got released :P

You can pretty much copy paste your first paragraph and that's for the most part why. To make matters worse their beta didn't really do them any favors and I would say actually put even more people off to the game (myself included). I would say the final nail in this games coffin was the pretty lackluster condition the game was actually released in. Just like Battlefront 1, Battlefront 2 and I would even say Battlefield 1 this game didn't come packaged with enough content to keep players playing their game for very long when there is so many other great games releasing. As for the content that was there ... ehh I'm getting mixed signals on it. The progression systems seem like complete garbage and I've hardly heard anyone say otherwise so there's that. The weapons that were available at release were far fewer than say BF4, which would be fine if they all played great and were iconic representations of the era the developers chose, sadly this doesn't quite seem to be the case since they apparently reused like 8 guns from BF1 and didn't include guns like the M1 Garand ... soo yeah you get the picture, apparently some of the maps are problematic, the fact that you can only play as the British and Nazis at release were a disappointment (like come on .. this is a WORLD war, how can you only include two countries ..) and the list goes on. 

In conclusion I'll say this: PR matters. While a bad PR campaign can be negative for your product what we saw with BFV was something beyond bad. It was a complete disaster and quite honestly the developers should have released they were doing something wrong when they decided to taunt and ridicule a fanbase with actual concerns because of a few sexist people out there. 

Edited by Rune2303
  • Like 2

The game itself might seem ok, as in it is everything from above average to below average depending on who you ask, but everything around it turns people off. There could be whole essays written about all the things EA fucked up even before the game launched, even more about the things they are still fucking up. Adding to the problem is that EA is one of the most hated gaming companies in the world already, sitting at number 1 of many shitlists, so people are already wary of them and are quick to cancel preorders, which they thankfully did in droves this time. I would not have bought this game in any case because I already did not want to give them any money, but after all they have done this time, with the way they are trying to path for the rest of the industry, I actually dislike people who support this company while it actively breaks the freaking law to screw customers over.

• Like 1

I'm really not a fan of EA's handling of the PR on this game (as many others aren't), but I picked up the game for $30 a few weeks ago and I have to say, it is really fun to play. It didn't cost me that much, and I'm having so much fun in multiplayer. I'm okay with the amount of content in the game, it doesn't feel like it has been stripped bare, but it's clear that they tried to get the game out for the Christmas season, as the 4th War Story wasn't even available upon release (not to mention the Battle Royale mode). They have added a multiplayer map since I started, Panzerstorm, and so far I'm really liking all of the maps.

Trophy list isn't incredibly demanding either, it's mostly just "play the game and enjoy it and you'll get 70% of the trophies." The only horrible trophy was Death from Above imo.

However, from a gameplay perspective, the shooting feels slick and the matchmaking is fantastic, haven't had any problems with getting kicked out of servers and no lag. I think the main reason people hate on this game is because of EA's PR, and I'm willing to bet a number of people hating on the game haven't played it. I have seen that the incredibly dedicated Battlefield community has taken issue with some things, such as the change in time to kill (essentially making it take longer to kill players than it used to), but a regular Battlefield player like me didn't notice (or care). I think they've changed it since then iirc, so at least they're listening to the community.

Overall, I think it's worth dropping $30 on. If you have Battlefield 1 though, this game appears to be VERY similar and doesn't look like it introduces a whole lot of new stuff (besides the War Stories, which were okay, and some gameplay mechanic changes), so I would wait for a further sale if you have BF1.

• Like 1

It just goes to show that politics needs to be removed from the forefront of gaming as currently the discussion is about how the publishing company acted up to launch, the quality of the PR campaign, the image on the box, how buggy the beta was (why are people still shocked by buggy beta tests?). this has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself.

My opinion - I don’t give a shit about that, I’m a gamer: tell me if the game itself is any good and then I’ll decide to buy it or not.

iIt does concern me that normal people are being put off decent games by the left wing/right wing BS floating around gaming at the moment. The same is happening with FO76 just tell me that the game is off to a bad start or released too early and I’ll leave it 6 months to improve then look at it again, I don’t want to constantly hear about canvas bags or Plastic Nuka rum bottles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, InfraRedPS said:

It just goes to show that politics needs to be removed from the forefront of gaming as currently the discussion is about how the publishing company acted up to launch, the quality of the PR campaign, the image on the box, how buggy the beta was (why are people still shocked by buggy beta tests?). this has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself.

My opinion - I don’t give a shit about that, I’m a gamer: tell me if the game itself is any good and then I’ll decide to buy it or not.

iIt does concern me that normal people are being put off decent games by the left wing/right wing BS floating around gaming at the moment. The same is happening with FO76 just tell me that the game is off to a bad start or released too early and I’ll leave it 6 months to improve then look at it again, I don’t want to constantly hear about canvas bags or Plastic Nuka rum bottles.

Well actually I wasn't even referencing how buggy the BFV beta was (although now that you mention it wasn't exactly flawless now was it ?) the point I was going for was that the beta really felt more like a BF1 DLC than a completely new game (this might be in large part due to the fact that BF1 in many places had more of a WW2 feel to it than WW2 thanks to the abundance of fully automatic weapons and what not but still)

As for why people might be shocked/angry with buggy betas ... well probably because most betas these days are more like falsely labeled "demos" made available close to their respective games actual release date resulting in barely any feedback from the "betas" having any sort of impact upon the final games.

Sorry for the pointless reply, just felt like I should probably clarify my previous statement a little bit upon reading your comment ?

The problem besides the abysmal reveal trailer and the way they handled the criticism, the marketing of this game was awful.

The maps can look like BF1, but BFV is the most strategic/tactical Battlefield since Batlefield 2142 (2006). Tactics that were common place since BF3 will not fly in BFV because of the lower ammo count and the meat grinder approach (rushing and dying in the same area until someone will break through) will not be worth it because of the difference in the ways that flag superiority works. 

Pair that with features advertised not being online yet and the abysmal ways that unlocks are handled and you have a trainwreck in hand. EA should send several gifts to Bethesda and Blizzard because of the Fallout 76 and Diablo Mobile fiascos that diverted much of the negative press this game deserves. 

As mentioned by everyone above. The way Dice/EA treated their consumer is why this game is getting the most hate. That and they release an unfinished product and ask you to pay 60bucks for it. 

I fell sorry for anyone who bought this day one and paid full price only to have the game at 50% a few weeks later.

But i got it during sale so i'm happy. Atleast im not uneducated anymore.

i've played it at a relatives house. it's lacking features it was supposed to have like its battle royale mode and it honestly feels more like battlefield 1 with a worse skin smacked on. its being sold as a triple A game yet feels like a sub par clone of an actual good game. 

its whole PR marketing was a whole storm of bull that on its own merits killed the game but i ain't taking that into account. 

I just started playing the game yesterday and i'm not one of those guys that was following the pre-release campaign and all that commercial crap. But as I had played all of the other Battlefield games before, I wanted to play this one as well to complete my list. Now I have to say -just like some other people said before- this feels like BF1 with worse graphics and handling. This could have been a DLC to BF1, that is how it feels like to me.

Battlefield 3 was EPIC, Battlefield 4 was OK, Battlefield 1 was SO-SO, BF5 just like BF1. The gaming community expects games to get better and better.. not worse. Especially with the next-gen console, but often they lack visual quality and a good progression/reward system for weapons and gadgets. Another very good example of this is Destiny. D1 is way better than D2.

In short, I will play the game for the trophies, then put it aside. I have spent all the time i wanted to spend on a game like this during my BF1 time and there are better and more fun games out there. Just my opinion.

Edited by second_god
  • Like 3

this game is awfull. i asked my nephew to get it for me for christmas because i simply couldnt think of anything else and i wouldnt pay for this game.

the weird thing for me is originally before the game was released i hated the game because of the beta, and its pc politics

oddly enough when i got the game i realized the politics arent that big of a issue. the story is so short that i didnt listen to it. and besides hearing someone scream in multiplayer you really dont know who your killing or what race they are. so when i got it, the whole pc politic angle didnt bother me at all

what i did find was a game that could of been good but sucks bad. the maps are AWFULL. they been known for awfull base maps but usually you find that one like lets say metro thats nonstop action that you never want the round to end. this game just really sucks. the weapons run out of ammo and take forever to reload which sucks after you ran 5 minutes just to get shot, rinse, repeat. 

i did like that there were houses to destruct. battlefield was losing that destruction value they had in the past and they kind of seemed to add that back with the houses everywhere. still the map design is poor and boring.

the controls seems a bit better, but odd. the medic system and healing i dunno if i like it or not. i dont like how you drop a crate and have to pick something out of it instead of before when it would just heal you. and i dont feel like throwing thousands of bags of health pouches at people. the spawn time seems ridiculous to now that this medic system is different. i dont know if it is longer but feels like it

so originally i hated the game, then got it and hated it for other reason instead of my original reasons mostly lol. i cant wait till im done with the trophies so i can never play it again. this will most likely be my first bf i dont get the dlc for. i dont want to run through 100 miles of fields or bushes anymore

5 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Isn't the campaign less chaotic than other series and more tame?

For me only the campaign matters and from the looks of it, they did a great disservice to the SP.

I can't wait to pick it up for maybe $5

there is 4 short campaigns, you can easily get through it in a few hours at most. i guess its less chaotic because your forced to be stealthy because you have to play on hardcore to get the trophies. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's fun with friends, I don't think I would play it alone. EA has made so many mistakes over the last few years with there big titles that I think its starting to catch up with them a bit. 

The game overall looks great though and plays like one of the best shooters I have played.

I have even put up a few videos of battlefield V on my youtube, I mean this video here alone shows just how cool and realistic it can be.