Poor choice of words? Or are we loosing acess to PS3 and vita Games we saved from PS+ forever?

32 minutes ago, Ai-ds_low said:

WOW you just shattered my universe O_O

I swear pretty much every german (bc I can only speak fpr german ppl I know) use it like that, we even learn it that way :o  (well could be just my english teacher, who knows)

But I guess for us it makes sense: looser comes from lose, right? and looser was a popular word for a long time in germany ^^" so everyone seems to think loose is the correct way to spell it bc everyone knows the word looser, but not everyone speaks english on the same level.

I'm German as well and I used to write loose as well because of the association with looser. And then I had a teacher who told me it was written with only one o and to help me remember it he said that "the word had lost its second o, that's why it is written with only one". Maybe that will help remembering :P

But yeah most Germans tend to write it with two o's and most teachers don't correct it. I was just lucky I had one that really looked after our spelling regarding most common mistakes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ai-ds_low said:

WOW you just shattered my universe O_O

I swear pretty much every german (bc I can only speak fpr german ppl I know) use it like that, we even learn it that way :o  (well could be just my english teacher, who knows)

But I guess for us it makes sense: looser comes from lose, right? and looser was a popular word for a long time in germany ^^" so everyone seems to think loose is the correct way to spell it bc everyone knows the word looser, but not everyone speaks english on the same level.

I didn't mean to shatter any universes :o

Also, yes, your English teacher is just mistaken. It is actually another pet peeve of mine where people assume they can teach English (or any language) just because they can speak it. I took a TESOL course and it was filled with 20 somethings who just wanted paid vacations and could not tell you what a pronoun was (and that is not a joke one of them actually asked me "what's a pronoun")

Lose is to misplace something or to not win. So I can "lose a race" or I can "lose my glasses". So if you lost the race you can be called a loser. 

Loose is something that is not tight or attached. For example "that man has a loose grip" or "I need a wrench to loosen these bolts" 

Also don't feel bad about not using it correct because most native English speakers can't use it correctly either. It is just that one word that it seems that 99% of the population gets wrong every time. 

4 minutes ago, Lagoon Aris said:

I'm German as well and I used to write loose as well because of the association with looser. And then I had a teacher who told me it was written with only one o and to help me remember it he said that "the word had lost its second o, that's why it is written with only one". Maybe that will help remembering :P

But yeah most Germans tend to write it with two o's and most teachers don't correct it. I was just lucky I had one that really looked after our spelling regarding most common mistakes.

That is actually a great way for a teacher to teach the difference. 

I still remember my teacher teaching us that Dessert has 2 Ss because you want to have 2 desserts and only 1 desert :P

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 1:10 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

I didn't mean to shatter any universes :o

Well, it's better this way xD

Also, yes, your English teacher is just mistaken. It is actually another pet peeve of mine where people assume they can teach English (or any language) just because they can speak it. I took a TESOL course and it was filled with 20 somethings who just wanted paid vacations and could not tell you what a pronoun was (and that is not a joke one of them actually asked me "what's a pronoun")

Lose is to misplace something or to not win. So I can "lose a race" or I can "lose my glasses". So if you lost the race you can be called a loser. 

Loose is something that is not tight or attached. For example "that man has a loose grip" or "I need a wrench to loosen these bolts" 

The funfact is, when I read it in the proper context I absolutely know what it means and never feel that there is something wrong. (loose grip, a favorite of all the fanfiction authers in the world xD)

And in german all meanings of the word are exactly the same. But you also wrote loser instead of looser so I asume that the famous affront also must be very wrong xD thats pretty hilarious

Also don't feel bad about not using it correct because most native English speakers can't use it correctly either. It is just that one word that it seems that 99% of the population gets wrong every time. 

That is actually a great way for a teacher to teach the difference. 

I still remember my teacher teaching us that Dessert has 2 Ss because you want to have 2 desserts and only 1 desert :P

These are indeed good mnemonics :o 

Something learned today - ✔️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ai-ds_low said:

Well, it's better this way xD

The funfact is, when I read it in the proper context I absolutely know what it means and never feel that there is something wrong. (loose grip, a favorite of all the fanfiction authers in the world xD)

And in german all meanings of the word are exactly the same. But you also wrote loser instead of looser so I asume that the famous affront also must be very wrong xD thats pretty hilarious

These are indeed good mnemonics :o 

Something learned today - 2714.png

:D Glad I could help. Also Looser is a word. It is the opposite of Tighter. 

Also, just because I got my English language skills going, assume is spelled with 2 Ss because "to assume something is to make an ASS out of U and ME" :P

Alright I am done now. 

• Like 1

I can see a P.T with this in regards to not being able to redownload games to your PS3 or Vita from the store but its doubtful you will lose access to the content that is already download it since PS+ is still active. Also MP servers on PS3 and PS Vita if they are still active on games would be another indicator that you can still play them because there are plenty of active MP servers that have not been decommissioned yet. 

Also pro tip if you do not own a PS Vita but plan on getting one you can download the free PS Vita titles to your PS3 and just store them there until you get a Vita console to transfer them too.

Also you can do this if you run out of memory card space to maximise your PS+ membership. 

Just some insight. 

16 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

I can see a P.T with this in regards to not being able to redownload games

Again, everyone, stop bringing P.T. as an example. It was NOT a real game. There are countless items on the Store that are no longer usable, i.e. beta clients.