RJP_X

do you care where you position in world and country rank?

108 posts in this topic

I have never took any notice to be honest. I just like this website for a number of reasons

1. Easy way to see what trophies I need to do and it has well put together guides if I am struggling on anything

2. Easy to set up gaming sessions for grinding online games

3. You get to see other users posting what games are coming out or future DLC/Updates without having to do the searching yourself 😄

Dont care, but i look some times at it to see the other ranks in my country how they get there and what kind of game/trophy lists they have. 

I am not in a constant race to gain ranks or something. But it is nice to see you are getting some more trophies and thus points, only thing i "care" about is overall completion percentage. That is the only thing i want to achieve as high as possible while playing all sorts of games. 

10 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I care that it's not red... because the red is ugly as hell. 

This is kind of how I feel about it as well. What's even worse is when one number is red and the other is green. Barf.

6 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I don't care about the ranks as many others have said but i do look at it and compare + laugh sometimes how different stats are in big gaming countries vs small gaming countries. Like i am 4k world and 400 Germany vs a guy from Egypt who might be 100k world and 200 country :D

This disparity is also interesting to me, but often from the perspective of "How the eff do you live in a country with less than 30k people, have 500 platinums, are are still only 5th in your country? WTF?!"

(don't think I've ever seen anything that extreme, but it's what it feels like sometimes haha)

I did have a goal last year based on world/country rankings... can't remember what it was, but I smashed it pretty quickly... seems like you jump A LOT per platinum if you're sub-100 platinums.

I don't, the world is far too competitive. My region is Japan, but I live in the UK now, I never look at what rank i am

Like others have been saying, I don't care enough about my rank to go out of my way to improve it, but I do keep an eye on it, especially the country rank. Truth is, I could rise in the ranks very quickly if I started playing all of these crap games with sub 1 hour plats that have released over the last couple of years, but that's not fun. It's a lot more interesting to me to see how far I can get without resorting to such cheap tactics. I know I'll never get close to the top because of this but that's fine by me.

Not really because of the number of extremely easy platinums that I refuse to do in order to boost myself. I just look every so often because it's interesting to see how high I can get without playing cheap games.  

I use to like looking where i am, but stopped caring when i noticed how illegitimate the leaderboard is. I just thought whats the point. 

Care is too big a word. I'm interested to see where I'm placed (within this limited subset of players) if I suddenly get a lot of trophies. I've also kind of set myself a mini target of getting into a sub 50,000 position by the end of the year but, honestly, it's not a good metric of anything. The people at the top will usually just play lots of games (and maybe just get lots of the easy starting trophies therefore), or just have far more time than me to play, or share their account with someone else (which usually also means 1 & 2 are also the case). 

If I cared about anything it would be average rarity, or something like that, but I don't. 

15 hours ago, mako-heart said:

I only care for country. I think at beginning of year I was around ~15k, now I'm close to ~5k. 

Basically, as long as the number is green, I'm happy lol. And since I have lulls, it usually is.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, not being American helps kek.

Yeah I like to be in the greens too. The last few days I been in the reds, and it kepted going down, 1 at a time. It felt depressing. haha

Nope. I did check it awhile back periodically just for shits and giggles but honestly lost interest in it after only about a week or so.

It's fun to rank up, so i do keep an eye on it, but i don't really care whenever i drop a few ranks, either. It's more fun to see how many plats i can rack up in general.

Posted (edited)

I generally ignore the leaderboards, I know my account will never be anything special plus I don't pad it with cheap plats. That said I do occasionally look at my country position, I guess it would be nice to make the top thousand one day or something.

Edited by g-bake_1986

I don't care too much about the world ranking but it is neat to see how fellow nationals are doing (Ireland in this case).

No because i will never be high enough to care about it

I do not give a shit about my country or world rank... but I have never cared about my number of trophies full stop. 

I agree with Spaz's initial point: You can play easy games for plats and exploit save states to gain plats from other regions. That's the quickest way to rank up.

Personally, for me, there's no incentive for me to aim for the leaderboards when there's no monetary incentive to do so. 

the ranking system means nothing when somebody can play mayo or slyde in 30 minutes or less and achieve the same gamer score from it as somebody who spends 300 hours on something.  If they ever devised a way to award more gamer score for more difficult or grindy games then it might be more fun.  Life is too sort and there are too many good games to play to play these games one has to play to rank high.

I sometimes click on my country rank to look at some players around my position.

I don't even know why that amuses me.

7 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

the ranking system means nothing when somebody can play mayo or slyde in 30 minutes or less and achieve the same gamer score from it as somebody who spends 300 hours on something.  If they ever devised a way to award more gamer score for more difficult or grindy games then it might be more fun.  Life is too sort and there are too many good games to play to play these games one has to play to rank high.

Sure, that’s true - but the ranking system is only  one of many facets of trophy hunting, and you only get out of it the information you go looking for.

You can use it to see positives as well as negatives:

For example, you are looking at the people above you in the rankings who got there by playing things like Mayo and Slyde, and taking that as a sign that it isn’t worth competing.

But conversely, why not look at all the people below you, who played those kind of games and still can’t reach your level? ;) 

I can barely remember what trophy level I am without looking, let alone where my ranking is :P Sometimes I look and see I'm close to a 'milestone' like breaking the top 2,000 in my country and feel accomplished when I get under the number. But then, a few weeks later when I fell down a few rankings, I see it again and have already forgotten that I reached that milestone, so it's a never-ending cycle of me getting nowhere but still feeling accomplished. 

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sure, that’s true - but the ranking system is only  one of many facets of trophy hunting, and you only get out of it the information you go looking for.

You can use it to see positives as well as negatives:

For example, you are looking at the people above you in the rankings who got there by playing things like Mayo and Slyde, and taking that as a sign that it isn’t worth competing.

But conversely, why not look at all the people below you, who played those kind of games and still can’t reach your level? ;) 

To each there own.  If you enjoy those types of games to rank high and find enjoyment in that i'm not knocking a person for doing that.  You also have a mixture of people who have been accumulating trophies for ten years while some others have only been at it a few.  I tend to agree with a comment that was made that if anything is to be considered it is average rarity.  I viewed an account a while back with an average rarity of a bit over 19% with over 100 platinums.  That is in my opinion a better achievement than the top rank on the leader boards.  Of course to obtain that you almost have to be seeking out game and playing them for low rarity like some people on the opposite side seek out games and play them for a cheap easy platinum.  For me playing games I like is the most important thing let the rankings and stats fall where they may.

Not really but if I overtake or get close to someone who used to be way ahead of me is pretty neat but I don't obsess over it.

i take notice every so often after say getting a platinum to see how high i went up in the country and world rank but aside from that i don't care too much for the competitive aspect of it.