What are the top 3 Indy platinums on your profile?

Bullstomp

Not sure if these are indys or not :hmm: but since Dead Nation is published by Sony I think these will count. Also I don't know if these are my top 3 but they are the first ones that come to mind :)

1. Velocity Ultra and Velocity 2x - Seriously if you haven't heard me rave about these games then I don't know what to tell you. Games where the phrase "Git Gud" actually applies because the difficulty is based on you getting better and learning the levels and layout of enemies/items. Pick both of these games up and you are guaranteed to have a blast :)

2. Dragon Fantasy Book Volumes 1 and 2 - DFB1 doesn't have a platinum but who cares. These are throwbacks to Old School RPGs and despite "nostalgia" humour being very low on my list of acceptable forms of humour these games pull it off masterfully and are just a great throwback to an age of gaming that has long since past us :(

3. Guacamelee - This game is a fantastic Metroidvania style platformer and the art style, level design, bosses, combat etc are all top notch and it is Canadian :D

• Like 3

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Enter The Gungeon

Downwell

- I like roguelikes. Isaac is probably my favorite game of all time, I've been playing it since it was on PS+ back in the 2014. Gungeon is similar to Isaac, but you use guns instead of your tears. Downwell was brutal, but extremely satisfying Platinum to get.

• Like 3

Well Guacamelee was the first game that came to my mind :D

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice as 2nd. It's a fantastic adventure in which i felt immersive as no other before it...

The last i want to name is ICEY. Such a humorous game in which you hear a narrator becoming mad or disappointed for what the heroine does, like falling down a cliff on purpose :D

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 2

Maybe not on my profile but I've played over 150/200 hours per each of those games and I'm in love with them:

1. The Long Dark - I love survival games and it delivers on so many aspects... Amazing game. I even played it once in the middle of cold winter with all windows opened in my room (I live in the dormitory) and being dressed in a few layers of winter clothes. IMMERSION INTENSIFIES.

2. This War Of Mine - This one is personal as I knew a few people who were working on this game - I was born in the same city. Great experience, it makes you think about your decisions and not just to grind it out and delete from your HDD after you've completed the story. I highly recommend it.

3. Subnautica - When they will fix all the bugs and frame issue, that will be the best survival game that's out there, period.

• Like 2

1. Furi

Loved everything about this game, from the soundtrack to the environments to the bosses. Must play indie title.

2. Nex Machina

Also a housemarque top down twin stick shooter that’s so much better than dead nation, so @Bullstomp give it a try. It’s awesome.

3. Titan Souls

Just as Furi I got this for free on PS Plus. Just as Furi it’s a simple boss rush game. Loved it.

Some honorable mentions:

Broforce, Guacamelee!, Klaus, Rive, Transistor.

• Like 2

Guacamelee! & Guacamelee! 2 - These games are so much fun. They are very humorous and are full of easter eggs. Any fan of Metroidvania games should play these. I even made the sequel my 400th platinum. :)

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The fact this game was made by one person still astounds me. The art style is beautiful, combat is smooth and has an engaging story with interesting characters. 

SUPERHOT - One of the most unique games I've ever played. Time moves when you moves so it's very tactical and the challenges in the game make you play in many different ways. In my opinion, everyone should at least try this game as I feel it is an underrated gem. Also, it has a VR version which I have yet to try.

I still have a lot of indie games I need to play with some honourable mentions being Horizon Chase Turbo, Headlander, Ruiner & Tiny Trax. I am maybe missing a few here but I don't really know what the cut off is for being an indie title. Like would Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset Redux be considered indie titles? If so, they are definitely on the list.

Edited by Banana_Sausage47
  • Like 2

I've only recently started to try out indie games and these are the games I've enjoyed so far. I have plenty more bought and not downloaded yet!

La54747.png

Fun, unique game. You take control of a character in the form of a detached head and use this to progress through each area. You can dock and undock between a wide range of bodies throughout the game - typically citizens and guards. The game rewards exploration in the form of upgrades for your head making it more versatile and agile in use. Would highly recommend this game, it also has an interesting story on top of the great gameplay.

L1349ae.png

A fast paced 8-bit style platform game with challenging gameplay and a great soundtrack. The background music almost encourages you to rush through every level. Each level lasts roughly 30 seconds each, making it a great game to dip in and out of. Some of the platforming is very precise, especially during the later levels. I think I had around 1500 deaths by the time I had finished up the game. It can be frustrating at times but I found it to be an enjoyable experience overall.

L9c4de4.png

Very chilled out game with no combat and a focus on exploration. It has a mixture of platforming and puzzle solving with neither of the two being that difficult. Certain puzzles at the end can become tricky but there's guides up on YouTube. An atmospheric game that also boasts a great soundtrack.

• Like 1

little Nightmares - Got the 100%. Considering there isn't a platinum, I guess this won't count. But, neither will my other selections lol. Anyways, this game; I found myself completely immersed in its creepy but beautiful little world and also found myself continuosly watching and reading content to do with the game long after completion.

OlliOlli - Played it on xbox.

Rad soundtrack and I just seem to love that "in the zone" going for high scores kind of gameplay loop. So addictive and fun!

Cuphead - Played it on xbox. Stupidly gorgeous art style and music. Ridiculously tight and solid gameplay. Very talented developers.

I've found myself really craving these kind of games recently. I feel like they offer so much bang for your buck; if you're looking in the right places. Really looking forward to picking up a few more games that would make these kind of threads, top of my list are games like Hollow Knight, Dead Cells and Dust: An Elysian Tale. 

Edited by Barbell-Disciple
  • Like 3

Looking at my platinums I realize that I don't have many indie ones, probably because quite often they are too hard for me. However, from the ones that I have achieved I will definitely pick Transistor (my first platinum, I remember being absolutely overwhelmed with the huge variety of options plus the mesmerizing soundtrack and an intriguing story), then Salt and Sanctuary (this game greatly surpassed my expectations, I had immensely enjoyed Bloodborne just a few months earlier and then got a 2D game which, to me, delivered a comparable type of experience) and finally Cosmic Star Heroine (probably not a masterpiece but a solid turn-based RPG, not difficult but making up for it with excellent humor). An honorable mention goes to Apotheon, which I also had a great time with.

• Like 4

Downwell

L31c6b8.png

Guacamelee

L78d059.png

The Witness

L5d1a3d.png

Just one word to Downwell. I am really a fan of indie games and I have to admit, that Downwell is one of my alltime favorites. I platted this game for so many friends aswell just because I would love to play this game forever. If you haven't played it yet, do it. 

• Like 1

Cat Quest - PS4

Absolutely loved this game i love cats i love RPGs and this game gave me both had i have known it was a mobile game beforehand i would have bought this earlier on my phone. But this game i can't wait to play its sequel Cat Quest 2!!! In 2019 yay.

SirEatsAlot - PS Vita

Ever since i saw the announcement of this game on Play-Asia i could not be more interested i read some articles online from developer notes and interviews and was fascinated also it was the only game in recent memory that utilised the PS Vita's controls to the max! Which actually immersed your more in the game, granted some bits where a bit finickly but i really want a SirEatsAlot 2 or another game on Vita from them. However looking like it might be on Switch from their news a few weeks ago regarding an unannounced project.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Two - PS Vita (not sure if this counts) 

The game i was craving playing something like a Kingdom Hearts game but i was not quite ready to sit in front of my PS4 or PS3 and fire up Kingdom Hearts so i picked this up for a relatively decent price on the PS Vita. The gameplay is very much similar to Kingdom Hearts but instead of swords you have a paintbrush that can erase or manipulate enemies to get them to do your bidding. Its a really fun platformer with plenty of content to keep you going. The PS3 version is identical to the PS Vita version but some sections are slightly longer drawn out and some side quests differ to be more time-consuming. Great fun recommend the game to anybody. Just have PS+ active if you play on PS Vita as that cloud-save is a life saver if you mess up. 

• Like 1

L53d0b0.png

This is honestly one of my favourite games I’ve played in years.  It’s a brand new collectathon entry reminiscent of the good old days, but brought more up to date.  This is gonna sound sad, but - I was genuinely very happy for my entire playthrough, I seriously couldn’t stop smiling because of how much I was enjoying the game. The game it reminded me of most was Mario Sunshine (and also a little bit Mario 64), so if you played that and enjoyed it then you’re in for a treat here.  If you hate those type of games, I don’t want to be your friend. If you haven’t tried them but want to play something light-hearted and fun, then you should definitely give some serious thought to this game.

Every level feels completely different from the last, and each Time Piece within each level also feels different from each other, so nothing ever gets repetitive or boring, and there's a lot of fun/humour in the dialogue, especially if you talk to all the NPCs. Also they’re meant to be bringing out multiplayer in the future (it's out on PC already, and I'm still eagerly awaiting news of updates on the console versions, especially the DLC level and death wish mode), which will make it more fun. I’ve never found another collectathon that’s done this.

Only downside is it's quite short, given the price tag. But it does have decent replay value at least.

L3fd369.png

This series is the single greatest co-op experience I've ever played. It's fun and chaotic in equal measures, and will cause a lot of yelling at each other to get plates washed quicker, or vegetables chopped sooner, or not letting the food burn. But throughout all the yelling and arguing over whose fault it is you missed an order, it's a genuinely great experience that encourages good co-operation, and leaves you feeling like you and your game-partner make a pretty awesome team when you pass a level you were previously struggling with. I've never found another series that does the co-op element quite as good as the Overcooked games.

I would 100% recommend this if you have someone to play with - though I wouldn't recommend it as a solo venture. It's doable for sure, but nowhere near as fun.

Ld505fc.png

This game gets a lot of hate at times, but I loved it, personally.  The developers delivered exactly what they promised - a game that was basically a new Banjo Kazooie game.  It wasn’t really anything beyond that, and a lot of people complained that it wasn’t modernised enough or anything new. But given I was just looking for a new Banjo game as I’d played the first two (screw Nuts n Bolts...no pun intended) so often that I could probably get 100% with my eyes closed, this was exactly what I wanted.  So I personally thought it was great.

If you loved the Banjo games, I'd 100% recommend it. But if you didn't like them, or expect something more added than just Banjo with a different skin, you probably shouldn't play it.

Honorable mention:

Hollow Knight - the only reason this isn't on my list is because I don't have the plat yet, and the thread is for top platinums. But it is seriously one of the best indie games out there. It's an incredibly well-made 2D Souls-like game (a proper one, though, not all these garbage games that pretend to be Souls-like), and it's perfectly coded (I died a tonne, but it was never down to the game - which is always a concern in indie games - it was always my own mistakes that killed me, and it never once seemed unfair). The huge amount of bosses all feel like individual challenges that (while I died to most of them initially) you need to learn in order to overcome. I would 100% recommend this to those who like a tough but fair game.

• Like 2

L045c36.png

Created and developed by @breathofwater

Perils of Baking is a 2D retro style platformer inspired by classics like Super Mario World

its super fun, simple and easy, its right up many of your alleys!

it has a north american and european stack along with a cross buy vita port

you can follow my guide on here or on playstationtrophies.org and have this platinum in about 3hours or less!

Lb0c989.png

88 Heroes is a 2D action platformer where you play as 88 different heroes (all with different abilities and attacks, some are better than others) in order to save the world.  If you fail a level, that character is dead and you are then selected another hero at random.  You can resurrect a dead hero after you collect enough coins, i believe its 88 but i could be wrong, theres a big 88 theme in this game.  There are 88 levels and you have 88 seconds to clear each level and 88 minutes to beat the game.

L8b1e96.png

Dragons Crown is a hack and slash action RPG, in my opinion.  Its beautiful hand drawn 2D art style is what originally grabbed my attention and then once you start playing it, its highly addictive and very enjoyable.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2019 at 1:57 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

1. Velocity Ultra and Velocity 2x - Seriously if you haven't heard me rave about these games then I don't know what to tell you. Games where the phrase "Git Gud" actually applies because the difficulty is based on you getting better and learning the levels and layout of enemies/items. Pick both of these games up and you are guaranteed to have a blast.

More people need to play these two games.

Definitely a challenge. But the music is awesome and the games are never unfair.

• Like 1

It really is hard to pick just three, so I'm going to exclude games that were on PS+ or that were popular enough that a lot of people are familiar with them already.  So, let's see what I've got:

L6ad428.png

The Banner Saga -- It's a story driven tactical RPG and it's a three parter.  I haven't actually gotten to the end of the third game yet, but I did platinum the first two and really enjoyed them.  I got sidetracked on the third one, but plan on going back to it sometime "soon".

L4ee95d.png

Jotun -- It's a top-down action game that's all about boss battles.  OK, there's some other fluff in there in-between, but the real meat is the boss battles.  It's a challenging game and challenging to platinum.  It kind of reminded me of Titan Souls in that regard, although expect fewer and longer boss battles.

L12bd33.png

Joe Dever's Lone Wolf Console Edition -- This game might have the goofiest name of any game I've played, but I did really enjoy it.  It's a timer-based RPG with a lot of reading.  It can be very challenging if you don't have a good build and a good idea of what you're doing.  It has a more old school feel to it in that if you have a poor build and poor inventory management (burn through all your healing items etc), then it just sucks to be you.  Between that and all the reading, I'd expect a fair number of people to hate this.  So, fair warning.  :P

• Like 3

On 1/6/2019 at 1:36 AM, Bullstomp said:

With the AAA publisher relentless whoring of lootboxes and microtransactions nowadays I find myself playing more older and independent games. It's not hard to do research on older AAA games but independent games are tougher due to lack of media coverage.

It's pretty obvious.

There's no way in hell that I'm paying over $100 for the Ultimate Edition for Assassins Creed Odyssey. That's just too much money for something that I may end up not liking that much anyway.

AAA games are just too much of the same thing. Older games like Dead Space 2, Resistance 3 and Sonic Unleashed I still intend to play, but you can pretty much find guides almost anywhere for these titles and I already looked at gameplay footage prior to buying them. To be honest I'm more interested in playing the older AAA games than I am playing the new AAA games.

I don't want people to think all indies are good however, because there is a ton of shit on PSN and especially on Steam in the form of shovelware. There are however, some nice hidden gems like you mentioned, but you have to do your research on them.

Anyway, I already commented once on this thread so instead of derailing it I'll just post my top three...

--

1. Velocity 2X

L44c87e.png

If you need one game from FuturLab Games you should play, this is it.

It's a fast paced platformer and shmup where you try to beat levels in a certain time while trying to gain those "Perfect" medals. This game is tough and it encourages you to learn from your mistakes, much like Super Meat Boy does to players.

The soundtrack is great and keeps you in the mood. The levels are very well designed and the gameplay is never unfair. Even the Dual Core DLC levels, as challenging as they were for me, can be done given enough time and practice.

Overall a great game and one I recommend for those who want a fast paced game.

2. Rogue Legacy

L311f0d.png

Another great indie game from Cellar Door Games that encourages you to learn from your mistakes.

Not as difficult as Velocity 2X and is slower paced. However it is a rogue platformer with random elements, meaning you won't be entering the same dungeon as you did last time.

Soundtrack isn't nearly as good but playing around with the classes was fun. The game is never unfair.

This game has a quirky charm to it, and I own this game on Steam so I play it fairly often on my computer.

3. Shovel Knight

L06321f.png

One of the best soundtracks in any indie game out there. Period.

Very good gameplay. Shovel Knight combines elements of Mega Man, Super Mario Bros 3 and Castlevania and puts them to great use. A definitive game for anybody who grew up in the NES era of gaming. 

I still have to do the feats for Plague Knight and Specter Knight, but Shovel Knight is a game you should not miss out on. Worth every minute spent, and has a charm of it's own that I feel is unmatched.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Been playing a ton of indie games and there are always some gems to be found.

Top 3 for me so far are

Laab78b.png

Dex - A cyberpunk "D Action-RPG. Great gameplay, story and quests, that not enough people have experienced.

Lec3386.png

Beholder - Interesting game, in which you play as a apartment manager for a totalitarian government and are ordered to spy on your tenants and report them, if they're doing something illegal. You also have to to take care of your family while you're at it, well or you can just let everyone die :P .

L911575.png

République - Another game set under a totalitarian rulership. This one is a stealth game, and while the stealth aspect is a bit clunky the story and soundtrack are great. Unfortunately a lot of the story will be missed, if you don't find the collectibles spread out through the game.

Honorable mentions.

L539f6a.png

One of the best 2D Action-platformers ever. (This is coming from someones who generally dislikes platformers)

L004390.png

Puzzle game with a great soundtrack, original gameplay.

L4af889.png

Doesn't have a plat, but is phenomenal. It's a Taiwanese horror game, that's set in a time where the country was under marital law. Be warned though, the game is grim as hell.

L6f36e3.png

A great psychological horror game. The DLC is pretty mediocre though.

• Like 3

Ive played so many since I got the PS4 it would be a sin not to show love to all of my favourite ones. 

L3478c0.png

One of the best games I've ever played. I spent over 200 hours but the time flew by so quick and I enjoyed every second of it. It's basically a challenging tactical turn based roguelike rpg with some lovecraftian Mythos. 

La71225.png

Best metroidvania/roguelike out there no argument. How they managed to make such a small game feel so complexe is quite an accomplishment in my opinion. The game also has some great combat and traversal. Only con would be the boss fights, there should of been more of them. 

L8cede5.png

My personal favourite twin stick shooter. If you're into this kind of game then this one is a must play. 

L1a73cf.pngThis would be my second favourite twin stick shooter. Game looks great with all the effects on screen going off, great soundtrack, the gameplay is just excellent and provides some good challenge on higher difficulties. Sad that these games aren't profitable enough which is why we won't see more arcade games like this. 

L4ee95d.png

Gorgeous art style and some well designed boss fights. My only complaint here is the rng is a little too much especially if you're going for the platinum which is pretty damn tough.

L0baf17.pngThis is the game that got me into ultra rare hunting. Great combat and a killer soundtrack. 

L6594b0.png

Another one of those games that seems simple on the surface but gets deep as you progress. Very addictive gameplay loop. 

L6ad428.pngA tactical turn based rpg with excellent writing, characters, beautiful soundtrack and meaningful choices with actual repercussions. These games were quite the success on pc but it doesn't seem to get much attention on consoles which is sad. If you see any of the banner saga games on sale give them a try they're all great games. 

L252040.png

Probably not the best survival game out there but it's surely one of the more unique ones. My only complaint with this game is that it's a bit too simple which can get repetitive quickly if you're playing for long and the game doesn't throw anything new your way. With all that being said it's still a fun game with a unique art style and great music that appears every now and then. 

Edited by NaseemJohn
Images wouldn't show
  • Like 4