Another easy game

Rufy21050

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

First one had 150 puzzles to it. I'm hoping this has a similar number. 

I've counted over 200 puzzles in this one - each 'picture' requires numerous picross puzzles to create an image. I would say this is going to last longer than the previous Pic-a-Pix Color

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WavesOfActivity said:

I'll be picking this up.  Adding mosaic puzzles was one of the things I had asked for in their next release, so I should support it.  If anyone is into these types of puzzles, there is also a good site with several similar puzzles that I have been addicted to for the last year:  Griddlers.net

On top of is I'll also recommend Falcross and Pixelogic. Both free with no ads on iOS. Pixelogic has a bunch of puzzles available and then a new one every day on top of that, and Falcross has hundreds of them and is constantly getting new ones from users (and has 10 daily highlights from community-created puzzles.)

Should never run out out picross puzzles to play with Falcross, which is mostly why I havent bought Pic-a-Pix tbh.

12 hours ago, madbuk said:

On top of is I'll also recommend Falcross and Pixelogic. Both free with no ads on iOS. Pixelogic has a bunch of puzzles available and then a new one every day on top of that, and Falcross has hundreds of them and is constantly getting new ones from users (and has 10 daily highlights from community-created puzzles.)

Should never run out out picross puzzles to play with Falcross, which is mostly why I havent bought Pic-a-Pix tbh.

So, serious question, how do you get on with puzzles larger than 10x10 on mobile? The 15x15s in Pic-a-Pix are fine on Switch but are a bit fiddly on Vita if you tap and drag directly in the grid. That's why we allow you to move the cursor by scrubbing along the clue area, if you really want solve a 20x20 with touch only. I suspect most players have switched to buttons long before that point, though.

I know Pixelogic has a way of compressing part of the screen so the squares you touch are larger - how do you find that? We've researched and prototyped various ways of zooming a puzzle including imitating those used in other games and (to put it politely) we decided not to imitate any of them. If you can't see all the information all the time, you end up guessing or getting frustrated with the UI. It's a common request though, and I'm still holding out for a perfect solution...

Oh, the other thing about Pic-a-Pix Color (and Pieces) is... color! You solve the game with color pixels, instead of painting a black-and-white splodge and watching it get colored in afterwards!

Ugh, my British English spell-checker did not like that last sentence! Anyway, that makes it either easier or trickier, depending on your perspective; it definitely makes it different!

14 hours ago, madbuk said:

I prefer Pic-a-Pix to Falcross due to the color element that's involved in solving the puzzle.  You are told the number of colored tiles in each Pic-a-Pix row, so there's a strategy in solving certain colors first. Also, unlike Falcross, Pic-A-Pix won't fill in spaces for you if you get a specific row correct. It will highlight the numbers if you are following the sequence, but it won't automatically fill in empty spaces. 

They are both fun games though,a slight difference in puzzle solving, but Pic-a-Pix is worth playing on PS4 (I don't own a Vita).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luckydonut said:

So, serious question, how do you get on with puzzles larger than 10x10 on mobile? The 15x15s in Pic-a-Pix are fine on Switch but are a bit fiddly on Vita if you tap and drag directly in the grid. That's why we allow you to move the cursor by scrubbing along the clue area, if you really want solve a 20x20 with touch only. I suspect most players have switched to buttons long before that point, though.

I know Pixelogic has a way of compressing part of the screen so the squares you touch are larger - how do you find that? We've researched and prototyped various ways of zooming a puzzle including imitating those used in other games and (to put it politely) we decided not to imitate any of them. If you can't see all the information all the time, you end up guessing or getting frustrated with the UI. It's a common request though, and I'm still holding out for a perfect solution...

Oh, the other thing about Pic-a-Pix Color (and Pieces) is... color! You solve the game with color pixels, instead of painting a black-and-white splodge and watching it get colored in afterwards!

Ugh, my British English spell-checker did not like that last sentence! Anyway, that makes it either easier or trickier, depending on your perspective; it definitely makes it different!

I don't play Pixelogic much due to the 1 per day limitation, but the way Falcross does it is by adjusting the numbers so that they become smaller depending on how many there are/how large the puzzle is. So if you have a bunch of 1s in a row, the puzzle numbers will be adjusted compared to a puzzle that mostly has full 20 rows or simple splits like 8/11, so that the puzzle space remains the same and the numbers dont force the play area to be smaller. I can't honestly tell you how well that works on an iPhone because it has been a few years since I played it on that, mainly play it on iPad now, but it uses the same trick if I remember right. Perhaps the numbers get a bit hard to read though

It does also have a zoom function, but yeah I agree that zoom doesn't work too well with a puzzle like Picross because you kinda need to see the whole board. Here's a screenshot I found of 20x20 on an iPhone:

screen1136x1136.jpeg

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

I prefer Pic-a-Pix to Falcross due to the color element that's involved in solving the puzzle.  You are told the number of colored tiles in each Pic-a-Pix row, so there's a strategy in solving certain colors first. Also, unlike Falcross, Pic-A-Pix won't fill in spaces for you if you get a specific row correct. It will highlight the numbers if you are following the sequence, but it won't automatically fill in empty spaces. 

They are both fun games though,a slight difference in puzzle solving, but Pic-a-Pix is worth playing on PS4 (I don't own a Vita).

Fill in spaces? Pixelogic makes it so if you've completed a row you cant put in any more blocks (so for example you cant do anything with a 0 row) but Falcross doesn't do anything like that for me. Maybe it's an option that I turned off at some point, idk.

@luckydonut So I noticed that Pic-a-Pix is actually on sale at the moment. Maybe I'll give it a shot after all. I own a Vita and PS4, which do you think is the better experience? Having it on a handheld device would be nice, but maybe the bigger screen from the PS4 version makes it better. I'm a bit torn :P

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Fill in spaces? Pixelogic makes it so if you've completed a row you cant put in any more blocks (so for example you cant do anything with a 0 row) but Falcross doesn't do anything like that for me. Maybe it's an option that I turned off at some point, idk.

@luckydonut

In my version of Falcross (on my iPad), once you mark the correct number of spaces in a row, the rest of the row will automatically  fill in with X's. It could do that because I never manually put X's on my board. Or it could be an option the game starts with. Not sure.

Regardless, we both like logic puzzles and both versions are fun.  Thanks for suggesting Falcross to me. So I'll recommend Pic-a-Pix to you! As you are experienced, you will zip through the 5x5 and 10x10 puzzles. The 15x15 and bigger is where the fun begins! 

2 hours ago, madbuk said:

@luckydonut So I noticed that Pic-a-Pix is actually on sale at the moment. Maybe I'll give it a shot after all. I own a Vita and PS4, which do you think is the better experience? Having it on a handheld device would be nice, but maybe the bigger screen from the PS4 version makes it better. I'm a bit torn :P

Just making sure you know it's cross-buy, so you get both anyway... but as it has separate trophy stacks I suspect you want to pick one and stick with it. If you're worried that it will be a bit small on Vita, jump straight to the last puzzle on the last page and check it out for comfort before committing to the first trophy :)

I prefer playing these games handheld myself. They live in my pocket, and keep me up at night :)

• Like 2

PlayStation Store in Europe lists the game as PS4 only, but it's definitely cross-buy. I can absolutely confirm that you get both versions when you buy this - it's just a glitch on the store listing, and we're trying to get it fixed.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP3597-CUSA14372_00-PICAPIXPIECESBUN

The "BUN" bit at the end of the URL tells you it's the cross-buy bundle versions :)

On 1/6/2019 at 6:39 AM, manuel-yahoo_it said:

Seems more easy then Pic-a-Pix Color or not ?

So, I played a few hours this morning and it's definitely more challenging than the first. Colors had 150 puzzles whereas Pieces has around 350. The puzzles also take more time because instead of revealing one picture per puzzle, you are just revealing one square of a mosaic picture that has six, 12 or 24 parts. So what you are revealing in each puzzle won't make a whole lot of sense until you unveil a good portion of the total picture. In Colors, the picture in the puzzle would start making sense after awhile and it would make the final moves easier. 

A 6-part picture with 20x20 puzzles took me around 70-80 minutes to solve today. This game will definitely take longer than Colors and I'm okay with that because these games are awesome!! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:00 AM, luckydonut said:

Just making sure you know it's cross-buy, so you get both anyway... but as it has separate trophy stacks I suspect you want to pick one and stick with it. If you're worried that it will be a bit small on Vita, jump straight to the last puzzle on the last page and check it out for comfort before committing to the first trophy :)

I prefer playing these games handheld myself. They live in my pocket, and keep me up at night :)

Just saw that Pic-a-Pix Pieces had released - enjoyed the first one on my Vita - and the trophy hunter that I am wants to thank you for making the game have two lists!

• Like 1