jon88_il

How do you name your video game protagonist?

32 posts in this topic

First option is always the default name. If it's not stated directly in the game I'll Google it. 

I don't like using my name in games. I used to do so regardless of gender (my legal name can conveniently be broken down into 1 female and 2 unisex names) but after I started playing online games and visual novels with dating elements I decided I no longer felt comfortable in doing so. :P A couple of years ago I started using Senka (from "сенка" = shadow) on a whim when naming a cat in Nintendogs+Cats and it ended up sticking. Although the original was a male and now I use it mainly for female characters. I haven't named a male character in a while. I'm not really sure what I'd go with if I did. Maybe I'd just shorten Senka to Sen. 

Either something that fits in with the lore of the world for RPG purposes or just something very dumb like terrible puns. Like naming Link "Enlace" whenever I play Zelda, just because enlace is the spanish word for link. And sometimes I'll go for the classic arcade "AAA" or "ASS" for the three letter limit in old-school games.

If there is a default name, I usually go with that.

Otherwise I name my protagonist (male or female) almost always Fluppi. It's a way to say plunger in german. The first time I heard that term I couldn't stop laughing, and since then it's my character name! 😂

m.u.l.e.

1. Throwback to a childhood Commodore 64 game featuring Multiple Use Labor Elements (m.u.l.e.s), tasked to turn any difficult endeavor into profit.

2. SciFi reference to an unexpected mutation who single-handedly overturns the predicted evolution of human society.

3. That other thing that differentiates mules from donkeys and horses, which explains why there are fewer mules than donkeys or horses...

Sometimes I'll name the character after myself. Other times, use things from past games, books, etc. Nothing special.