How do you name your video game protagonist?

jon88_il

Either something that fits in with the lore of the world for RPG purposes or just something very dumb like terrible puns. Like naming Link "Enlace" whenever I play Zelda, just because enlace is the spanish word for link. And sometimes I'll go for the classic arcade "AAA" or "ASS" for the three letter limit in old-school games.

m.u.l.e.

1. Throwback to a childhood Commodore 64 game featuring Multiple Use Labor Elements (m.u.l.e.s), tasked to turn any difficult endeavor into profit.

2. SciFi reference to an unexpected mutation who single-handedly overturns the predicted evolution of human society.

3. That other thing that differentiates mules from donkeys and horses, which explains why there are fewer mules than donkeys or horses...

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So when I was 12-13 I would always name the male characters after my boyfriends. ? 

Then I sometimes named them after my favorite character’s default name in OTHER games. Like for awhile I named everything Zidane (FF9) or Serge (Chrono Cross). 

For female characters I usually had names I had picked up from video games or I would look up names from ancient mythologies that had meanings I liked, but there weren’t a lot of nameable female protagonists back in the day. 

Now it depends on the game. Like if I’m playing something like Skyrim I might like to get into the lore and use a name generator that fits my race. Other times I just make something up that sounds interesting to me. 

I also just use the original name but if I have to choose one myself then it depends on the game. Sometimes I go for a cute but intimidating name like Friede for a girl, other times I just put in a random word like Carrot. Depends. ?

On 2/7/2019 at 8:42 PM, neko-chan251191 said:

If there is a default name, I usually go with that.

Otherwise I name my protagonist (male or female) almost always Fluppi. It's a way to say plunger in german. The first time I heard that term I couldn't stop laughing, and since then it's my character name! 1f602.png

Fluppi sounds lowkey cute for someone who doesn’t know German.

• Like 1

If the game has a preset character with an official/default name who you can name (like Link), I usually go with their actual name. If it has a "make your own"-type character or a character meant to be a player avatar, I'll go with Zanreo (or sometimes Zan, especially if it doesn't accept 6-letter names). I'm also more likely to go with Zan than Zanreo for male-only characters (despite "Zanreo" sounding gender-neutral enough) since I'm a girl and would prefer using my username for female characters

On ‎07‎.‎01‎.‎2019 at 1:05 AM, jon88_il said:

Hi guys,

I was wandering

Yeah… but where to?

Topic: I actually think about what kind of character I want to play (depends heavily on the game of course) before I name them.

For example in the Souls series, on my first playthrough of each game, I always gave my protagonist an old german name that ends with ''bert''. Like Norbert, Herbert, Gunibert or Albert.

Most of the time though I try to think of a cool name and end up being way edgier than intended. Then I regret it for the rest of the game until I make the same mistake again.

And if I'm lazy it's mostly ''Pale'' these days.

If there's a default name or one already predetermined (ie. older Final Fantasy games), I go with that.

If it's a fantasy themed game, I'll go with Dreakon.  If a last name is required, I'll go with Dreakon Thirteen.

If it's a more present/realistic or future setting, I'll just go with my actual name.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 6 months later...

Most of the time I just name my character after me, if not I just pick the first thing that comes to mind.

I personally suck at picking names so I'd rather not sit hours in front of a keyboard screen because I can't think of something (yes, this has happened quite a few times in the past)

10 minutes ago, Biertje373 said:

Most of the time I just name my character after me, if not I just pick the first thing that comes to mind.

I personally suck at picking names so I'd rather not sit hours in front of a keyboard screen because I can't think of something (yes, this has happened quite a few times in the past)

I usually stick with a random name generator. Removes the need to have an imagination.

https://www.behindthename.com/random/

• Like 1

Default if the option is there. If there's not, it's using either a random name generator, googling to see what others called theirs for inspiration or just trying out names until something sticks.

If I've played a similar game in the past, I might go with whatever character name I chose in that. Back when Skyrim first released in 2011, I spent 5 minutes making noises to come up with a name. 5 minutes of "Brevdon...Bregdon...Bragnon...Bragnur...Yeah, that works". Now every fantasy style game I play with a create-a-character has Bragnur the wolf slayer as the main character.

Default name. If not listed in game then if it's a Japanese game then I'll use whatever some radio piece/manga/whatever of the game used. If no such things exist then I'll try to come up with something that fits the setting. It's rare I deviate from that though there has been some cases. Code Vein for example I made my character look like a Disgaea character so I named them after that character which I was real happy with as I straight up did the job myself, no getting a code or whatever from someone else.