Mat Drasgen's 2019 Trophy Goals

Matrim_Drasgen

34 minutes ago, maiathewinners said:

Good luck! I made this for 2018 and it worked like a charm, I think I will do it again this year but this time make it public

Cool. Thanks for the support. Yeah, make it public this year and let me know. Love to check it out and support. Maybe we can even hook up on some MP game.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my first trophy guide written and published. It is for Dungeons II. See below for the link as well as above in my original post stating my goals for the year. I am off to a decent start. Working on some games I have already started (FFIX and FFX-2) for a Platinum that is almost earned with FF9 and boosting my completion rating with X-2.

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/8261-dungeons-2-trophy-guide

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

• 1 month later...

I was able to get my second Platinum trophy for the year and was able to get it in FEB. I had to resort to a cheap trick with Gem Smashers as it is a very short game and I was able to Plat it in about 4.5 hours. No bronze trophies and there was a great amount of gold trophies (8 of them) to help with my level boosting goal, gold point total over my silver point total (they are tied and I didn't even plan it!!! Lol) as well as just plain old numbers. Great game for my Trophy Goals purposes and that was one of the reasons I bought it but it was not a game I enjoyed. Looks fun but the controls are not friendly and despite playing with all three characters and beating the game with one (as required for trophies) I never could get used to how your little animal avatar responded to the environment or my inputs. I was hoping it would have replay value but as soon as the Platinum 'POPPED', I closed the game, deleted all screen captures, save files, and the game itself.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

Alright! Started off strong in March, getting my Platinum early and finishing off a game that has been in my backlog since February 2016!!! Yikes. Lol. However, FFX-2 wasn't a bad game, I just struggled with gunner's gauntlet and so I put the game down, next thing I know I forgot about it and it's low 6% percentage haunted me and my stats, so I figured with my trophy goals this year it was a perfect game to get back into and achieve 100% in and I am glad I did. I like Final Fantasy, it will always be the Number One Series in gaming though they will make crap games (looking at you 8 & 15) but I will never turn my back on them. This helps me be 3/3 for the month portion of my goals and helps me out with getting either two Platinums this month or in April. Still haven't found a good trophy competition I want to enter yet and I need to write a second guide but I am tracking along and am slightly ahead. If I can keep the press on, I should be able to accomplish every single one of my goals for the year.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it is April now. I am still pushing forward but starting to worry that 20 Platinum trophies for the year might be a bit much. Hard playing two games in a month to get Platinum trophies. I know others do it and I could clean up my personal schedule some but I enjoy my Friday night karaoke and the past couple of Saturdays, just been a little drain with video games. I think the big reason for that is the two games I am playing right now, Thief and Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms, are very grindy and time-consuming. Hope to make a big push on Thief this week and Platinum the game. That will really free my mind up and allow me to find the next game to begin prepping for May as I keep working on Idle Champs.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

Got my fourth Platinum trophy of the year, Conan Exiles. A very quick Platinum when you work with others online. You can make it even easier using the Admin function and control your server or you can play solo and make it very hard and slow. First survival, build game and while the game is buggy and needed some patches, it is not a bad game. I am slowly building a fortress on two islands in the middle of the big river in the game. This game also gave me first Platinum 'C' game trophy as part of a little event called A-Z Platinum Club 2.0. Whole idea is to beat a game for each letter of the alphabet and earn a Platinum. This game gave me my 13th different letter (13 Letters out of 34 Platinums, yikes!!!) and helps me out to get a second Platinum this month, which I really need if I am going to get my 20 Platinums for the year, got to start doubling-up (or even triple!) to make my goal.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

6 hours ago, SuperSmash5U said:

Glad you did Dragon Sinker. What did you think of it? I think it was okay until you had to get the Enah's Pal trophy, that took a lot of work to get the stats for it. May I recommend Bonds of the Skies next? It's a great game by the same company.

Dragon Sinker was fun. It was a nostalgic RPG that for me personally I wish the graphics were more than 8-Bit. I know for a lot of people the 8-Bit look is part of the charm and nostalgia of playing the game but I personally want the game to be a bit more in the graphic department. The game itself was fun, had challenging moments, couple of decent puzzles, and a worthwhile story. Enah's Pal trophy did take some work but I had read about that trophy before I started so I worked towards the goal from the beginning, kept my human leader in the party all the time, leveled up to 99, gave him all the job scrolls. It took me two tries.

I have not heard of Bonds of Skies but I will look into, thank you for the recommendation.

Earned two Platinums this month (April) for the first time during my trophy goal hunt for the year (but not my Trophy Hunting career). The second Plat was Peasant Knight. A 2D platform jumper game that is actually a little challenging especially when you look the trophy list as well as completion time. I was doing alright, not super fast but was making good progress but then the skeleton boss (Level 29) just grinded me to a complete halt. I spent over an hour trying to pass the stage. Gave up on for the night, came back to it the next day and got it within a half a dozen tries. Some stages after that had some moments but nothing like Level 29. Took me about hour to get the last portion but a fun game. Still a decent game, has play time after earning the Plat. I bought it for $3.25, got a decent amount of trophies with 17 but 9 of them were Gold which really boosted my level percentage as I am now within striking distance of Level 18, and further increases my Gold trophy point total over Silver.

So digging into Trophy Hunting career, I have earned two Platinums in a month 6 previous times (April 2015 with Platinum #5 Dragon Age: Inquisition [first PS4 Platinum] and Platinum #6 Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, then April 2017 with Platinum #13 with The Order: 1866 and Platinum #14 Overlord: Fellowship of Evil, then May 2017 with Platinum #15 Gauntlet and Platinum #16 Rebel Galaxy, then August 2018 with Platinum #23 Evolve and Platinum #24 Hardware: Rivals, then September 2018 with Platinum #25 Helldivers and Platinum #26 Spider-Man, and then finally in December 2018 with Platinum #29 Final Fantasy XV and Platinum #30 Dungeons II).

• 2 weeks later...

I earned three Platinums in one month for the first time with Queen's Quest 2: Stories of Forgotten Past. Another very simple game with easy Platinum and no real replay value but the puzzles were fun, especially when I challenged myself to solve them without using guides. I have sort of water downed my profile this month's with my last three Platinums. Wasn't intentional. Conan was a free game, I was intrigued by it when it released, and do find the game to be enjoyable though the community is not there and it does have some bug issues. Peasant is fun, a different kind of platform jumper, and has value beyond the Platinum. However, all three games served another purpose beyond helping me with all my trophy goals. They all helped me get a Platinum for a game starting with 'C', 'P', and 'Q', which I needed for a forum club called A-Z Platinum Club. The idea of the club is you earn a Platinum from a game that starts with each letter from the Alphabet as well as a Number. With the completion of these three games, I now have 15 letters with a Platinum, so my other 21 Plats are duplicates. As I work on my own trophy goals, any game that I can play that will assist me in the A-Z Platinum Club will most definitely have a serious look if I am to play it or not. Got to get back into cleaning up my back log with Thief (all the grinding trophies really throw me off that game, need to finish it. Might make it my May Platinum, though I am chugging along in Idle Champions (another game needed for the A-Z Platinum Club) so it could be my May Plat, and I will push Thief out to June) and probably going to pull FFXII to the front lines and clean it up some too but those damn concurrences for the Mist Walker trophy are such a pain!

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

• 2 weeks later...

My May trophy fit into my A-Z Platinum Club I am working on with Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story. A super fun game, that I got cheap during one of the past sales. I was happy to get a 'V' game for cheap but the real pleasure was in the game itself. A very fun RPG that had some unique twists with the building of the Academy your adventurers use as a base of operations. There is some pressure keeping up with the demand of graduating a student every 6 months and having to graduate a total of 50 for a trophy but it is this addition to the game that makes it a challenge. The story is great, the art is simple yet clean, and not every fight is walk through the park. Joy to play. Joy to Plat.

EDIT: I didn't give this post and by extension, the game, the credit it deserves. Valthirian is a very simple RPG but it is this simplicity that drove it home to be a great game. Visually it is cartoonish but it was beautifully drawn. The maps for battle are simple and repeated regularly with some twist like boulders blocking paths that they didn't the last time you played but there is still some exploration to make sure you find every item and kill every monster. You don't get 100% control of the Academy you build but you chose where your upgrades go and how many you have to increase the stats you believe are important. There are three Tiers of classes with Tier 1 having only one class, Tier 2 is an upgrade that gives you three classes, and Tier 3 gives you two upgrades for each Tier 2 option for a total of 6 Tier 3 classes. Each class plays very differently and brings their own uniqueness to battles. A great addition to my video game collection, the game has replay value, trophies are well thought out, trophy design is enjoyable, and helped with my 2019 Trophy Goals and my A-Z Platinum Club membership. I highly recommend buying the game if you like RPGs.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

• 3 weeks later...

Got another Platinum this month with A Plague Tale: Innocence. This game is the newest game on my list having come out earlier this month. It is beautifully designed, voice acted, and the gameplay is smooth and enjoyable. Glad I was able to get another Plat for the month. The gameplay style of Innocence is different for me and what I normally play/like but I enjoyed playing the game. I'm marching down the line and heading towards my Trophy Goals.

However, with that said about the game: SPOILERS AHEAD

Spoiler

1. The ability to magically control rats like your a damn fucking Ratbender from Avatar ABSOLUTELY ruined the game. Story ruined. Gameplay ruined. Just all of it fucking stupid and ruined.

2. Crazy rat tornadoes that attack fires was damn weird. This is based off the first point but it was acceptable until Ratbending was invited.

3. Two companions die. I get that, it's more realistic that way. Drama. Emotional spikes and heartache. The way they died, however, was crap. One because he decided to lift a boulder that was way too heavy for him instead of the sword that was right fucking there. The second companion dies in a noble sacrifice but I successfully killed every damn soldier and archer on that pathway and then at the end he just magically has arrows in him.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

• 3 weeks later...

My June Platinum and my 9th Platinum of the year is Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales. The game is very beautiful, great music, long and enriched story with many choices that have great rewards and consequences. Part of The Witcher series story though I don't know it as I have never played a Witcher game before but do have Witcher 3 on my list to play, just not sure if it will be this year for my trophy goals or not. Thronebreaker is a card game. If you like the Witcher series and want to know more of the story, this game is a great addition because even someone with no knowledge of the world saw hints in it about characters and places that the series deals with in other games. The only let down was how the card game itself played. It had a unique twist, you couldn't attack your opponents unless through special abilities. The point was just to have a bigger force than them in a best two out of three fight. It made the fight a lot longer then they had to be and prevented the game from being as fun as it looked to be in trailers and other videos online.

• 2 months later...

My July Platinum is based on my favorite hobby, Dungeons & Dragons. Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms is a fun game that is simple and easy to play. The best part of an idle game is your away time from the game (playing another game, sleep, work, school, etc.) still rewards you with progress. Yes, you would make better progress by actively playing, but since it is impossible to play around the clock, it's nice to get rewarded while you are away from the game. It was a great game to play and push to the back-burner when I needed to focus on other games/Platinums.

This Platinum put me at 10/20 for the year. So I am a little behind but have some games on my radar that I believe I can pump-out a 2-3 a month. I feel confident I will make my goal for 20 and a Platinum each month. It's going to be tricky and require focus and desire to complete but it's not impossible or impracticable.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

August Platinum, Grim Legends 3: The Dark City, is another puzzle game that is of the same style and gameplay as Queen's Quest 2. Simple, straight-forward, quick, and enjoyable. It was part of a three-game deal for under $40 on the PlayStation Store, so two more games/Platinums of this type will be added to the list for my goals this year. There are guides and video walkthroughs but a look over of the trophies, it was a challenge to play without the help. I hit some snags but got through the game and POPPED the Platinum at a decent pace.

• 3 weeks later...

My 12th Platinum of the Year is Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered. I love the Final Fantasy series and as a whole, it is my favorite franchise with God of War being 2nd. FFVIII is not my favorite of the series but it was good to get back into the game. I also was able to accomplish another trophy goal with this particular game as I wrote the trophy guide for the game!! Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered Trophy Guide. It was a big challenge to write for such a huge game (in terms of time, complexity, and its fanbase) that I wasn't as intimately familiar with as I am with other games of the series. There was a trophy, Obel Lake Secret, that I never even knew about the side quest associated with the trophy. So I quickly had to learn about it but still relied on posting the video I watched to earn the trophy. Going to try and see if I can figure out how to say in words what is happening in the video without death by text. This Platinum also brings Final Fantasy series up to two entries on my list as the third Platinum of the Year was Final Fantasy X-2.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

Trophy goals are challenging. Well, at least mine are, Lol. What felt reasonable and accomplishable, has turned out to not be the case. 20 Platinums seemed reasonable. One Platinum a month, with eight months doubling up. I was able to earn three of them in April. Figured it was reasonable. I am in the last four months with eight Platinums to go. I am so close on several games, such as Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy XII, that I wouldn't be this disheartened if I could push through and accomplish them. The Thief Platinum still eludes me as well due to the trophies being such a grindfest. I enjoy gaming and I enjoy Trophy Hunting, but when I get trophies that hold me up for months at a time, sort of a kick in the teeth about my skills as a gamer. Enjoy the game and beat the game, boom. No big deal. Now, there is this validation if I am even capable of doing something and online visual proof if I can't. I am gonna keep pushing for this year's Trophy goals because I want to finish it and see what I can actually accomplish. Don't think I will do another yearly Trophy goal for 2020, at least one not so intensive. Will also keep trying to clean up those few trophies that are preventing me from earning my Platinums.

My thirteenth Platinum trophy of the year on my niece's thirteenth birthday was my second of the month, Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault. This was a very fun TD game. You have a city (you end up in charge of five cities) and it is circular. The enemies attack you in a 360 and you have to eliminate them before they make it to the center and destroy your Command Center. At first, you don't have the power outage or the resources to build a tower to cover your city 360, so you have to rotate your city (sometimes quickly) to defend yourself all around. I got a little bogged down as the mid-game shifted into the late game because I needed a particular resource and I wasn't aware that I hade to convert other resources to get it. So I did several more missions then needed in the wrong city but once I learned, I was able to get my game back on track. I took a little longer then I thought I would have to get the Platinum (both game time and how many days) but as with all things, life called me to other things. I got my next game lined up for this month to get myself a 3rd Plat for September. This will leave me with six Platinum Trophies to earn in three months. Very doable. My October Platinum that I have been wanting to play for a LONG time (I think over a year) and will get started on its trophies this month, so September is looking good for me. I will earn three Plats and will earn some (though hopefully a damn good chunk like 50%) trophies towards my main October game. I have several backlogged games that I have already earned trophies for but they have all stalled out for nearly the same reason, grindy and time-consuming. Which normally doesn't bother me entirely BUT when you put yourself on a deadline, you have to be able to notice when to spend your time wisely. A few more months to go and slightly more than that in Plats but I think I have the time. Just got to keep up the effort.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

Well, less than eight hours later and I am back making my next post! Platinum number fourteen for the year has been earned!!! Path of Sin: Greed is another one of those quick, easy, yet surprisingly fun puzzle games like Platinum Six - Queen's Quest 2: Stories of Forgotten Past - and Platinum Eleven - Grim Legends 3: The Dark City. This game was the least tricky of the three. There was a lot more back and forth and it offered fewer puzzles. I was able to breeze through it a lot faster than the other 2 games with a total Platinum time of 3 hours and 11 minutes!!! In fact, this Platinum completion time is the fastest I have ever earned a Plat - beating my old record of 4 hours and 18 minutes with Gem Smashers set back in February with my second Platinum of the Year. I wasn't expecting to get through this one so quick nor set a new record so I am stoked by that. Add in it is the third Platinum for September, I can now start on my October game, I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and I think I can make it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my big plan since like February was to make Vampyr my October Platinum trophy because NOTHING is more Halloween then Vampires and I held off playing for quite some time in order to achieve that goal. It is such an amazing game. There is one trophy I thought was going to ruin the natural flow/play of the game but it didn't. Gold trophy Not Even Once doesn't allow for you to Embrace the NPC in the different districts for their WAY ABOVE AVERAGE experience gains, vastly helping you level up. You can still kill and suck blood from the enemies that attack you out and about in the city, but you only get 5 exp from them (50 from late-game Vampires) which is not a lot. So you have to make sure to do all the side-quests (investigations) and heal everyone's ailments to get as much experience as possible. Bit of a shame that I couldn't go through and kill the NPCs for their experience but as I played, I learned, story-wise that would have been very detrimental and would have actually caused the game to be a little more difficult and way less enjoyable as you constantly go from district to district, talking, selling, advancing side-plot. The addition of the trophy was a great idea to prevent that and also to reward you with being patient, having a lower level, and not mass slaughtering your way through the game.

DEFINITELY check it out Vampyr. Of my 15 Platinums this year, it is definitely was my most favorite and enjoyable one to earn. It has some replay value and it has also been the best game I have played all year, so from a gamer's perspective or a Trophy Hunter's, you will NOT go wrong playing Vampyr!

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

• 2 months later...

November's Platinum trophy is dedicated to one of the best stories of Light vs Dark, Star Wars. The latest addition to this wonderful universe is Star Wars JEDI: Fallen Order where you play as a Padawan named Cal Kestis. Visually, this game is amazing. You only visit a handful of planets but each one is vastly different in size, looks, environment, and scope that they each play uniquely. The story is well done, fits nicely into the Star Wars universe and helps bridge the gap in between Revenge of the Sith (Episode III) and A Hew Hope (Episode IV). Some of the trophies are references to the Star Wars universe and the other mediums, like Silver Trophy to 100% explore every planet A Galaxy Far, Far Away and their trophy artwork fits each trophy with the Platinum, A New Hope, being the iconic Luke & Leia pose. There is definitely a lot here for any level of Star Wars fans and I am sure even little things that the most avid fan probably missed and needs more than one playthrough to discover. Unfortunately, that is one of the game's major drawbacks - it does not have a lot of replay value. You explore just a few planets and have to visit each one more than once to collect everything as you grow in your Jedi Force powers, that not a lot of people are going to want to replay again, at least not immediately. There are a lot of collectibles that can and do bog down the playing of the main mission, up to a couple of hours at a time. A lot of visual collectibles that don't affect the game at all. This is severely disappointing because they have several lightsaber collectibles that alter the way it looks but nothing else, no additional power or health or anything. It is nice to have things visually your way in your characters looks but I thought nearly every collectible for Cal, BD-1, the Mantis, and even your Lightsaber were crap looking and/or you couldn't see them that you forgot you changed them. A lot of collectibles for maybe a 1% payout of enjoyment, IMO. My other VERY big peeve was the Holomap that BD-1 projected to help you on your travels. By its very nature, it is hard to read most of the time because it is not filled in as it is projected over your environment with only one color (which is a translucent light blue) and is very difficult to read. In the grand schemes, as you are playing for the main mission it doesn't matter as much, but as you are tracking down all the collectibles, fully exploring every map, gathering important, critical lore about the game and Star Wars as a whole, the map sucked.

The game is great but is a long haul. It is one of the best Star Wars games (FAR outplaying and better enjoyment then the recent Battlefront games) and provides a lot of information. Great game but does have its drawbacks.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

Platinum #17, Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden, is another game like Path of Sin, Queen's Quest 2, and Grim Legends 3. It is a quick, easy, yet fun game. The stories are nice, good voice acting, and decent visuals. The only thing I didn't like about this game was you had to play through it twice to earn the Platinum. In each of these four games, they have puzzles with hidden objects in them. In the other 3 games I mentioned, nothing is unique during these puzzles, you find 12 objects that have been hidden within the image. Easy, sometimes challenging (especially if you do not know the word), yet always the point of those puzzles, find the object. However, in Abyss, they not only reward you for solving these puzzles (like in the other games) with trophies but you are given the option of not searching for the hidden objects at all. Instead, you are allowed to play dominoes to complete the criteria, and the domino games also give you trophies! So you had to play through twice to earn all the trophies necessary. This irked me a bit because the game never mentions you can opt out of playing the hidden objects games by playing dominoes instead. So I had to look it up and find where to play the dominoes for my trophies! Lol. Still, I recommend the game (as well as the other three) if you like puzzles, mysteries, and easy, sweetly fast Platinums