Herbalist Challenge or Exotics side quest(which one to do first)

abhinandhan22

10 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

Yes they overlap and you should have Herbalist Challenge #9 going at the same time as the Exotics sidequest.

Yes exactly. I was doing herbalist #9 when I ran into a problem. I had picked 2 Acuna's Star Orchids already & according to my guide it says they "only spawn once per stage". So i had to do the exotics quest in order to get them to spawn.

So I am in agreement with @FilmFanatic. Do them *both* at the same time. And for the love of God (trust me on this)... 

MAKE A CHECKLIST! Seriously!!! Write down each of the 43 plants (30 herbs & 13 orchids) & cross off as you go. I made a post last week if you wanna see my checklist you can just search my post history or scroll down the thread names.

It was a bitch to finish cus i had to pick all 43 again when I hit 42 herbs and didnt know which was my last. I know why i got confused tho. I thought since I picked "Evergreen Huckleberry" that I had also picked the "Wintergreen Berry" (I dunno why I got mixed up) but i realized it was the wintergreen i was missing when i saw i had only picked 9 of those berries.

So yeah... Long story shortened.... Make a manual checklist.

https://www.docdroid.net/zJr1013/red-dead-redemption-2-herbalist-challenge-part-9-checklist.pdf

here's a link to a checklist, I used this and can confirm it's complete. definitely do these simultaneously and if you can't find a certain orchid where it should be, don't worry. some of them don't respawn till the stage you need them for on the exotics quest. happened to me with 2 orchids, they grew back at their respective stages. if you use this list it's totally trivial and you can just pick herbs as you go while completing other missions/challenges etc. oh and fyi herbalist challenge 10 you need a crab to eat. I had JUST sold the one I had picked up while going for the zoologist trophy. so keep that. and larger fish species for the flaky meat. and the seasoning of course

On 1/8/2019 at 1:57 AM, dokkanexpert said:

Yes exactly. I was doing herbalist #9 when I ran into a problem. I had picked 2 Acuna's Star Orchids already & according to my guide it says they "only spawn once per stage". So i had to do the exotics quest in order to get them to spawn.

So I am in agreement with @FilmFanatic. Do them *both* at the same time. And for the love of God (trust me on this)... 

MAKE A CHECKLIST! Seriously!!! Write down each of the 43 plants (30 herbs & 13 orchids) & cross off as you go. I made a post last week if you wanna see my checklist you can just search my post history or scroll down the thread names.

It was a bitch to finish cus i had to pick all 43 again when I hit 42 herbs and didnt know which was my last. I know why i got confused tho. I thought since I picked "Evergreen Huckleberry" that I had also picked the "Wintergreen Berry" (I dunno why I got mixed up) but i realized it was the wintergreen i was missing when i saw i had only picked 9 of those berries.

So yeah... Long story shortened.... Make a manual checklist.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:37 PM, cam_wick said:

https://www.docdroid.net/zJr1013/red-dead-redemption-2-herbalist-challenge-part-9-checklist.pdf

here's a link to a checklist, I used this and can confirm it's complete. definitely do these simultaneously and if you can't find a certain orchid where it should be, don't worry. some of them don't respawn till the stage you need them for on the exotics quest. happened to me with 2 orchids, they grew back at their respective stages. if you use this list it's totally trivial and you can just pick herbs as you go while completing other missions/challenges etc. oh and fyi herbalist challenge 10 you need a crab to eat. I had JUST sold the one I had picked up while going for the zoologist trophy. so keep that. and larger fish species for the flaky meat. and the seasoning of course

Thanks for the tips and most importantly reminding me to keep track of what I am collecting. Thankfully I had only collected two herbs and had luckily remembered what those two were before I saw this and started to take note of the rest. 

51 minutes ago, abhinandhan22 said:

Thanks for the tips and most importantly reminding me to keep track of what I am collecting. Thankfully I had only collected two herbs and had luckily remembered what those two were before I saw this and started to take note of the rest. 

You're very welcome, friend. If you want some great help with this challenge use https://rdr2map.com

Very useful website since you can ZOOM in and get EXACT/PRECISE locations whereas my guide I would need a magnifying glass to see shit.

Good luck!!

Edited by dokkanexpert
Added clickable link