ive been looking for the carolina parakeet for 10 hours

coolcol26

16 hours ago, cam_wick said:

ok I gotta ask man. what side quest are you referring to?? I 100% completed this game recently. you don't need a Carolina parakeet for any trophy or side quest!

there's a funny side quest where you can personally make the carolina parakeet go extinct by killing a certain number of them. not sure what the number is it might be 20-25 of them. apparently it costs you quite a bit of honor though and you don't get anything for it other than some feathers and gamey bird meat i assume. i didn't attempt it myself since it wasn't required for the zoologist trophy or to 100% the game but that's what OP is referring to.  FYI the carolina parakeet was a real bird that actually did go extinct around the time the game took place.

also OP as far as your question goes i don't think there's a quest giver. the quest only shows up on your log once you have already killed one of them. i don't know if it's kosher to link to other gaming message boards here so i'll just say that if you search for carolina parakeet rdr2 there's a link to a post on another board with some info that might help you.

Edited by caseyelsie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Do you guys have a list of animals not needed for zoologist / skin deep? Apart from the Guarma ones I mean.

like the guy before me said the platinum list is really helpful. also if you're having issues with a specific animal just look up some youtube videos and they'll give you pretty good spawning points for the most point. i got most of the animals naturally in my playthrough just by going around to all the areas and hunting plus using my binoculars to scan the skies pretty regularly for birds that i hadn't studied yet (since only about 10 of the larger ones are skinnable).

the animals that gave me the most trouble and that i had to actively spend time searching for and looking up videos of spawn points were both varieties of the moose (you can get the female moose to spawn consistently by leaving herbivore bait on cairn lake and the only semi-reliable bull moose spawning point for me was the western side of lake isabella) and the rio grande turkey. i spent about an hour wandering the desert just expecting it to spawn somewhere since the eastern turkey is so prevalent but then i found out it's one of the rarest spawns in the game. thankfully if you go south of fort mercer there's a spawn point there. also as far as being able to study predators like the cougar, panther, gray and timber wolf, etc. the best way is to shoot them with a poison arrow or two and then follow them. you have a little bit of time to study them before they die instead of them pouncing on you in 2 seconds before you even realize they're there. good luck!

Edited by caseyelsie
  • Like 1

I can help.

Go to the Y in "Bayou" and just run up and down the side of the water on your horse.

Eventually... They will spawn. And when they do you need to murder 15 of them to "extinct'' them. They are bright green and blend in with the grass so it's impossible to really sneak up on them. They just ''spawn" suddenly and fly away. Be quick to dead-eye them & Study them.

Just so you know tho that sidequest gives NOTHING. Nada. Zip. It's not even needed for 100%.

Good luck!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, caseyelsie said:

there's a funny side quest where you can personally make the carolina parakeet go extinct by killing a certain number of them. not sure what the number is it might be 20-25 of them. apparently it costs you quite a bit of honor though and you don't get anything for it other than some feathers and gamey bird meat i assume. i didn't attempt it myself since it wasn't required for the zoologist trophy or to 100% the game but that's what OP is referring to.  FYI the carolina parakeet was a real bird that actually did go extinct around the time the game took place.

also OP as far as your question goes i don't think there's a quest giver. the quest only shows up on your log once you have already killed one of them. i don't know if it's kosher to link to other gaming message boards here so i'll just say that if you search for carolina parakeet rdr2 there's a link to a post on another board with some info that might help you.

Interesting hadn’t heard of it. I have the official guide and it’s not a stranger mission maybe some random encounter...

If you already completed the game (or in the epilogue chapters), you cannot find the carolina parakeet if you are looking to complete the animal compodium.

You have to actually be in chapter 3-4 to find it... I searched for it for 20 hours during chapter 2 and couldnt get it either. But found them when i wasnt even looking for them in chapter 3-4. But nothing in the epilogue since by that time the parakeet had already been extinct

• 2 months later...