PSA: Bug makes Platinum unobtainable

TrulySilentLie

Didn't see it really around here, but the gist of it, as it seems to be found in other places:

Scavenging is bugged. The leading theory is that if you die after getting the final collectible in a scavenging ground, but die before the game has registered the 100% completed, then you will most likely have the bug. It makes the game not register the scavenging ground correctly for the Legend challenge (it still gets registered right in statistics if you go back there to get the message) meaning it's impossible to get the trophy for doing all the non-repeatable challenges.

Reason why I post this now? Well I was going back to the game, and just found out my 29 hour run of the game is useless. And the latest patch that is talked about (1.06) didn't fix it. So yeah, won't ever be fixed and only way there seems to be to avoid it is make sure you never die in a scavenging ground before the 100% message as you pick up the last collectible, and to use a lot of back-up saves

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrulySilentLie said:

Didn't see it really around here, but the gist of it, as it seems to be found in other places:

Scavenging is bugged. The leading theory is that if you die after getting the final collectible in a scavenging ground, but die before the game has registered the 100% completed, then you will most likely have the bug. It makes the game not register the scavenging ground correctly for the Legend challenge (it still gets registered right in statistics if you go back there to get the message) meaning it's impossible to get the trophy for doing all the non-repeatable challenges.

Reason why I post this now? Well I was going back to the game, and just found out my 29 hour run of the game is useless. And the latest patch that is talked about (1.06) didn't fix it. So yeah, won't ever be fixed and only way there seems to be to avoid it is make sure you never die in a scavenging ground before the 100% message as you pick up the last collectible, and to use a lot of back-up saves

To be fair, the Scavenging bug has been know, almost since launch. I am surprised you didn't come across anything talking about it. It was one of the first things I saw when I looked at the .org guide. I looked in my stats after every one I picked up, just to play it safe. It never did glitch on me.

Edited by skateak

This is probably why I'm going to use cloud saves and have at least two USB save backups when I decide to play this game.

I love the idea of playing in a post apocalyptic wasteland but not if I'm forced to play a certain way to avoid glitches. Shame that Avalanche Studios still can't fix this bug, they spent one patch breaking something and another patch to fix it. That's basically 30 - 40 GBs of them fucking up and then patching it over.

They may as well have not put in updates 1.05 and 1.06 in the first place.

Edited by Spaz

• 1 month later...

I managed to plat the game without encountering any glitches.

On 9-1-2019 at 4:05 AM, skateak said:

To be fair, the Scavenging bug has been know, almost since launch. I am surprised you didn't come across anything talking about it. It was one of the first things I saw when I looked at the .org guide. I looked in my stats after every one I picked up, just to play it safe. It never did glitch on me.

It's not your statistics that can glitch though, but the scavenging related challenges, and you know if the glitch occurs by comparing the two.

That's probably what you meant but someone might think it's enough to check their stats and end up being locked out of the trophy.

Also the reason they didn't know about this bug is because the guide doesn't mention it.

Edited by fadingtrails
  • Like 1

What I did was keep a tally of my scavenging challenge and statistics values for scrap between every pickup, just in case.

As long as those match, you should be fine. It's not the exact same number as the challenges are progressive, but relatively easy to keep track of anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

51 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Does the glitch occur if you die or something happens while the game is saving? 

I definitely want to play this game, I played a little on another account and found it pretty enjoyable.

I'm copying and pasting what I put on another thread about the bug.

I found on a website where the scavenging bug is potentially related to you dying while the game autosaves after you 100% a location. I was particularly scared of this bug so when I would 100% a location I would freeze and not move and wait for the TWO autosave icons to disappear in the top right of the screen. Takes about 5 seconds for both. I got the platinum with no issues doing this.

To check if you have the bug, take the total number of scav locations (227) and you subtract the number of locations found (this number is listed in your "statistics" menu). This number should be equal to "reaper of the harvest" under the "Legend" menu (191 minus however many locations you have). If the numbers don't match you might have the bug.

To add to this I will say that I'm almost certain there is one location where the potential to die and get the bug is fairly high and people get it there. One area has a collectable on a long pipe you run up on and it's in a bird nest (you'll know it when you see it). Make sure to absolutely freeze until the saves are done. I myself actually fell off and died turning around and freaked out thinking I screwed myself over, but I did let the autosave icons disappear before I tried turning around. I never got the bug on the way to platinum. 

This game wasn't bad honestly. A bit repetitive but not the crapfest most say it is.

Edited by Jason-d-b
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason-d-b said:

I'm copying and pasting what I put on another thread about the bug.

I found on a website where the scavenging bug is potentially related to you dying while the game autosaves after you 100% a location. I was particularly scared of this bug so when I would 100% a location I would freeze and not move and wait for the TWO autosave icons to disappear in the top right of the screen. Takes about 5 seconds for both. I got the platinum with no issues doing this.

To check if you have the bug, take the total number of scav locations (227) and you subtract the number of locations found (this number is listed in your "statistics" menu). This number should be equal to "reaper of the harvest" under the "Legend" menu (191 minus however many locations you have). If the numbers don't match you might have the bug.

To add to this I will say that I'm almost certain there is one location where the potential to die and get the bug is fairly high and people get it there. One area has a collectable on a long pipe you run up on and it's in a bird nest (you'll know it when you see it). Make sure to absolutely freeze until the saves are done. I myself actually fell off and died turning around and freaked out thinking I screwed myself over, but I did let the autosave icons disappear before I tried turning around. I never got the bug on the way to platinum. 

This game wasn't bad honestly. A bit repetitive but not the crapfest most say it is.

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Regarding the same gold trophy, does your console have to be connected online?

I was going to start the game on patch 1.04 because after hearing about patch 1.05 and so forth I wasn't going to update the game because of two glitched trophies (that were later fixed). But I guess you have to update it to the latest version.

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Regarding the same gold trophy, does your console have to be connected online?

I was going to start the game on patch 1.04 because after hearing about patch 1.05 and so forth I wasn't going to update the game because of two glitched trophies (that were later fixed). But I guess you have to update it to the latest version.

I can't really tell you anything about the newer patches because I played it pre-eff up the game 1.05 patch. What I can say is that you do need to be online for the scrap to build up over time. Also do NOT put your game into rest mode when building up scrap for that particular achievement. I have a habit of putting my ps4 into rest mode when playing any game and it needs to be off for scrap to build up or it will just suspend your game where it is and build nothing. I probably cleared 60% of the game before I realized you have to have the game closed for the scrapper achievement or whatever it was called where you need like 10k scrap collected by the upgrade in the stronghold.

• 1 year later...
17 hours ago, Multicron said:

I have this for XBox, but was wondering is it even possible to platinum this game from start to finish, let alone in six weeks? Looking for risk assessment here - what is still glitched as of the final patch? Thanks

The glitch mentioned in the first post of this thread, was never fixed unfortunately :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

53 minutes ago, Multicron said:

I have this for XBox, but was wondering is it even possible to platinum this game from start to finish, let alone in six weeks? Looking for risk assessment here - what is still glitched as of the final patch? Thanks

Easily, the game isn't insanely long and the online trophies can be obtained in a few days.  I took 2 weeks, 18 hours and 2 minutes, however I don't like to rush games and just took my time (without a guide).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Multicron said:

Pretty sure the xbox servers closed/stopped working a while ago.

SERVER NOTICE: There are two Challenges that are dependent on an online connection to Warner Bros servers, namely A Penny Saved and Dividend. Since mid May this connection have ceased and at the time of writing this (9th June 2018) they have not been restored - making those two Challenges impossible to complete and in the extent making the Up To The Task-achievement unobtainable for anyone who haven't already completed said two Challenges. The servers might be restored in future - so check the comments on the solutions for this achievement

however this was 2 years ago.

Source: https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Mad-Max/walkthrough/2

About 1/4 down the page in a huge red textbox.

Edited by Reinachii-

17 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

The glitch mentioned in the first post of this thread, was fixed years ago but there are still a lot of gamebreaking glitches in this game so save often and make a lot of backups.

It’s not been fixed, I literally got it yesterday (statistics said 47, challenges said 46) so had to start again! ?

18 minutes ago, TrulySilentLie said:

The platinum is obtainable, however if the bug happens on your save, it means that save is null and void for one trophy and you will need a full new playthrough. There's more info about it in this topic, for example the likely culprit for it

Are you talking about the scavenging spot ? Becouse this bug happened to me so I retraced couple scavenging spots and found one unmarked , invisible spot , that I still could interact with and I got my trophy.