Fighting the Urge / Completion Rate

iJLAW_

So I have had many PSN accounts in the last decade for one reason or another. Whether it be not liking the name, just wanting a fresh start, or whatever. I made one more that is going to be my account until the day I die (FinalFormYT) and the only concern with this one is I want my completion rate to stay at 100% but I cant fight the urge to keep playing/starting new games. Difficulty of games isnt a concern to me as I believe anyone can platinum any game if they REALLY want to, nor is time to platinum. I just either get bored of playing one game, or excited to play another, and move on without finishing.

Do you guys have any tips for maintaining that completion rate and sticking to one game? Yes I know it is as simple as dont play another game until I finish one, but for whatever reason I cant seem to do that. My completion rate has dropped from 90+ to 70% in about a week  

I have the same goal, and already put myself through some shit to accomplish it. I don't want that ambition to stop me from playing games I enjoy, but I don't really want to make another account either so I am facing some big challenge to get back to 100% at some point (Hi there, Super Meat Boy). The thing you have to realize is that you do not have to do one game after another, if you don't feel like grinding one game to the finish, or are just fed up with a challenge, you can easily go to another game and return to the game that pissed you off later, or play both of them. I returned to Tomb Raider and Ground Zeroes after sidelining them for a long time and completed them, usually no problem there.

The time you actually spend with 100% showing on your account is rather short, whenever you begin a new game it instantly drops, so don't worry about it too much. The only thing you really have to keep an eye on are potentially permanent blemishes on your completion rate. Games with buggy trophies, games that have online trophies that just become impossible at some point (like every game done by shit developer 2K) so you either have to avoid them entirely or you have to finish them before they become impossible. I am currently facing this problem with Orcs Must Die Unchained, the servers will die in april and I still have one really grindy trophy left to go, but I knew the risk when I started that game and I have a good chance to make it in time.

Just do a check up on the trophies of a game before you start it to avoid bugged trophies or trophies with a very short time frame and you are good. It should still be a fun experience so don't force yourself to sit through a challenge in one go if you are just miserable doing it all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

Some people are meant to be completionists, others aren't. You seem to be the second case. I would advise against trying for a 100% account. I know someone that started over for 100% and it broke the person because he simply didn't have the mindset of a completionist. At the same time, there are people like @LeetWolf2 who dropped their main account and started anew, doing one or two games at a time and completing those before moving on.

Poor impulse control leads to lower completion ratios.

Gaming gotta be fun. Adding extra goals is great, but that cannot make you have less fun than normal. Trophy hunting is a hobby, a passion, not a job. If it's stressing you day and night, you are doing it wrong and I bet it would stress you to keep your games completed at all times.

Should you ignore my advice however, i'll give you another one. Main another account and play games there. Whenever you feel like you will be able to go for the platinum/100%, then do it again on this account. Extra effort, yes, but you can't fail that way.

I'm with Yuri on this. If you keep failing at your attempts to get 100% completion, it's probably not for you. 

Um... if you have multiple accounts, why not try new games on one of your other accounts, and keep this account that you want to maintain 100% completion on for games that you enjoy enough that you're going to want to see them through to the end?

Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem like a difficult problem to me.

• Like 1

Its hard to maintain 100% these days with so many new games coming out all at once and would need a shed load of willpower and determination to keep pushing at a single game whilst being bombarded with sales and new releases. Also, when your friends all start on a new game as well, it's tough not to join in before it becomes gaming history. 

The only practical solution I can think of is to have your 100% account to work on the game you are trying to platinum, and use another account to play random games you want to play for fun in between. At least then you can avoid the mental drain and pressure of having to play a single game for ages. 

I know without a shadow of a doubt that 100% is not for me. I like gaming too much to finish every single gsme I start. 

SOME GAMES ARE NOT WORTH PLAYING. 

Unfortunately you never really know for yourself whether a game will keep you interested until you've started it. So either do what others said and try stuff on a 2nd account first, or learn to be happy with a smaller number and just work to keep it there. 

I hit 75% three different times in the last two years and each time I've almost immediately dropped back into the 73% range. As long as I can keep it around/above this number I'm content. 

Be one of those people who only syncs trophies when they have platinum or 100%, if you get sick of a game midway, just format your PS4 and start again.

My advice is just to enjoy gaming, you will miss out on tons of cool games if you decide not to get a game just because it has a hard platinum or you have to waste your life grinding or doing boring stuff on games you already have.

Seriously, even if your list is at 100% completion rate, what good is that in real life? Especially if half the time you are miserable and putting yourself under pressure to stay at 100%. It's a losing battle it really is and there will come in a time in your life where you probably will look back and think, was it worth it?

Like Makilio suggests, stay at an average of over 90% and then move on when you've got most of the trophies on a game. I have that goal too, over 90% completion rate and also under 500 unearned trophies. If I go over 500 I'm not allowed to start another game until I've caught up.

Those are goals that are more easily achievable. I mean these days, there are many games that you platinum and then a new game+ mode or extra hard mode comes along adding 1 trophy to your list killing our 100% And that FORCES you to play a game again you might not want to touch again, forcing you to play the ENTIRE game again. You might have sold it by then, who knows.

PS I love the irony of your name "Final Form", and yet you keep changing form and making new ones :) haha

Edited by enaysoft

• 3 months later...

I feel your pain. I was your average Playstation user, just playing games for fun when a friend of mine who is a completionist made another account strictly to maintain a 100% completion rate (because I guess they are OCD  about it) and it kind of rubbed off on me. xD I wanted to attempt to do it as well. I had a ton of uncompleted games but I feel like a good mix of business and pleasure in this case is what is best. If you go into it with the mindset of "just doing it" then you're going to flounder. Take a break, relax, re-gain composure and figure out your next best course of action. :D