Am I the only one who doesn't like JRPGs?

Livingstone7728

53 minutes ago, Livingstone7728 said:

I keep hearing people talk about how great JRPGs are and every time I play one I'm disappointed, they're buggy, unattractive graphics and when translated, done poorly. Am I missing something?

You are certainly not. The JRPG market has always been fringe, and it's fringier nowadays than it used to be.

Am I the only person who doesn't like jalapeno peppers?

• Like 2

I like them, because they have cute graphics and have even greater stories/characters. Usually much better ones then a lot of western RPGs. Which usually has some hero in it without any flaws or personality and does the same crap like any other hero in most western RPGs. No saying that all JRPG are good or even do things differently but some do, some of the are even bold when it comes to story telling. that's what I like in games in general. Of course there are great western RPGs too but they tend to be rather alike these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dj_helyx said:

Am I the only person who hasn't made a pissy thread to complain about some bullshit?

In all likelihood.

I want to know what games this guy is even alluding to, he seems to only play those 1 hour plat stackers. By all means he can go ahead and do that, but he clearly hasn't played a JRPG for more than 10 minutes on this account.

Edited by BeautifulTorment
  • Like 1

No definitely not. I'm a JRPG fan, but most gamers I talk to at work and stuff don't even know what a JRPG is. They all play Fifa, COD, Uncharted etc. My brother knows them but he hates anime, he things it all looks childish and prefers Western games that look realistic. For any genre, there are always going to be fans and haters. 

I find western rpgs boring in comparison to japanese rpgs, even though the West created the jrpg genre, thanks to old classics like Ultima and Wizardry.

On 10/01/2019 at 4:02 PM, fabmorais_2011 said:

You mean all games in the genre are like that? All translations of all JRPGs ever released are bad? Talk about blatant generalization.

He’s probably referring to the 80s and 90s, which ironically was Japan’s golden age of gaming, where translations were fairly poor due to problems like memory restraints in game cartridges. 

Gamers today don’t realise how good they have it with the industry now. I find them very entitled, especially on the world wide web.

Edited by thepeaguy

On 10/01/2019 at 6:44 AM, KingGuy420 said:

I only see two jrpg's on your list and they're both remasters of 15-20 year old games. I wonder why you find the graphics disappointing lol.

I also noticed a couple stacks of My Name Is Mayo... That's what? A marvel of modern video games?

Not sure what that has to do with anything? I'm just saying I hear all the time how great these games are... and I end up giving benefit of the doubt and it always ends up being an hour before I'm just like meh... for example any of the tales games... bought them in a flash sale because I heard so many people loved them... just couldn't get into it.. that being said I loved alot of games people hated... Tony hawk 5... for example 

4 hours ago, Livingstone7728 said:

Not sure what that has to do with anything? I'm just saying I hear all the time how great these games are... and I end up giving benefit of the doubt and it always ends up being an hour before I'm just like meh... for example any of the tales games... bought them in a flash sale because I heard so many people loved them... just couldn't get into it.. that being said I loved alot of games people hated... Tony hawk 5... for example 

It's a matter of taste, I really like the Tales games (well most of them) and I can say that most of them takes couple of hours to really get going.

On the other hand I did not managed to survive more then a couple of hours with any of the Borderlands game.

I even bought the Handsome collection hoping that I will power through the start of the games and manage to fall in love with them but it never happened to me.

Everyone finds their own taste of games over the years, could be that JRPG just ain't your thing like racing game and FPS aren't mine.

Edited by jon88_il

i'm actually kind of curious as to what your daily life is like if you "keep hearing people talk about how great jrpgs are"...for the record, I'm not a fan of them either but what is it we are here to discuss?...are jrpgs the only thing you hear people saying great things about that you disagree with?...as with almost everything, you will find lovers, haters, and those who are indifferent...you seem to understand this with the example of tony hawk 5...

were you hoping to hear us overwhelmingly say "jrpgs suck" so that you don't have to play them anymore since it would seem you feel forced to give them benefit of the doubt based solely on people praising them?...or would you really like to like them and were hoping we could convince you otherwise?...in which case, perhaps a tad more productive discussion might've been something along the lines of "i've played x games (list your jrpg games) and didn't like them for so-and-so reasons...could anyone recommend ones that meet the following criteria?" :

- have modern graphics...

- are properly translated...

- are not overly buggy...

we've got some real jrpg experts here that I'm sure could recommend ones that would suit these requirements...

in the end, you just might discover, as I and many others have, that jrpgs are just not for you...and life goes on...

Edited by ProfBambam55

Well everytime i go to GameStop.. it's all those guys talk about... How AAA Games are overrated and how instead I should buy the latest JRPG.. I was hoping maybe I'd get a suggestion on a good starter one... Even the comment about tales games and how they take a while to get into kinda makes me wanna give it another go... 

I wouldn't say I'm big on JRPG's as I've played very few in my gaming life, I'm definitely more a western style RPG guy. But if there's one I can't recommend enough it's Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. 

It's very user friendly, and if you're at all familiar with Pokemon it's very similar in the sense that you have little monsters to collect and feed and they even evolve, and they can fight with you...but the gameplay is far more fleshed out with a really heart warming story. It is a PS3 game though, so you'd have to be willing to venture back to last gen. The second game is on PS4, but I have yet to play it. 

Edited by Viper

17 hours ago, Livingstone7728 said:

Well everytime i go to GameStop.. it's all those guys talk about... How AAA Games are overrated and how instead I should buy the latest JRPG.. I was hoping maybe I'd get a suggestion on a good starter one... Even the comment about tales games and how they take a while to get into kinda makes me wanna give it another go... 

What's your taste when it comes to plot in games/movies/shows?

In my opnion JRPG are usually very plot centric and if you are not into the plot you will not enjoy the experience.

For example Tales of Berseria is very dark and tells a story of revenge and the rise of an anti-hero while Tales of Zesteria is very "chosen hero need to save the world" (if it's not clear I like Berseria way more then Zesteria).

Ni No Kuni that was mentioned above is also a great game about a child that suffered a loss and tries to find his place in he world.

On the other hand Ni No Kuni 2 is the story of a king in the making trying to build a peaceful kingdom for everybody.

There is always the Final Fantasy seires which a staple of the JRPG genre and even there every game is very different from the other.

If you want to try a JRPG I would choose one where the plot would hook you in rather then the gameplay.

But this is just my opnion, it may be different for you :)