Bungie Splits from Activision

Splathew

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

What games aside from Destiny published by Activision are incomplete?  I cant think of any games that are rendered unplayable once a DLC is available, no folks, this mess is all bungies doing.  Oh how the mighty have fallen. Sales have declined, playerbase has dropped Activision didnt want to hemorrhage any more money into a stale franchise so they cut their losses and said you aint gotta go home but you gotta get the fuck outta here

You poor sad soul.

• Like 1

I'm really interested in seeing what Activision does to correct their current course. Aside from Blizzards offerings Activision still has what successful properties still in circulation, Call of Duty? And they have turned many people off charging $1 for a red dot reticle in that game.

As for Bungie I don't believe for a moment that all of the Destiny franchise's missteps were Activision alone.

We shall see what happens next.

37 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

I'm really interested in seeing what Activision does to correct their current course. Aside from Blizzards offerings Activision still has what successful properties still in circulation, Call of Duty? And they have turned many people off charging $1 for a red dot reticle in that game.

As for Bungie I don't believe for a moment that all of the Destiny franchise's missteps were Activision alone.

We shall see what happens next.

Currently they only have The N Sane Trilogy, Spyro, and COD. Later this year they will have two more games in Sekiro and Crash Team Racing.

Whatever money they were going to invest in the next Destiny can now be put into 2-3 other console games. Of course, I don't know if they will do that. 

14 hours ago, majob said:

Much of what went wrong with Destiny was Bungie's own doing. Activision just gave them enough rope to hang themselves

Unless that company is a communist co-op, odds are they're going to be concerned with profits and even communists need to pay rent at the end of the day.

How silly to label anything that is not the worst of the worst that captialism has to offer as "communism". As if no company within a capitalist system would be able to make a living without resorting to the shady business practices that Activision indulges itself in.

34 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

How silly to label anything that is not the worst of the worst that captialism has to offer as "communism". As if no company within a capitalist system would be able to make a living without resorting to the shady business practices that Activision indulges itself in.

Voluntary transactions are hardly the worst of capitalism and many people these days label any profit motive to be "greedy" and it's both tiring and annoying to see.

• Like 1

The worst for gaming of course. But you are right, it could get even worse. In fact, I am pretty sure it will. I like to think that the standard edition of a game will soon be in black and white only, and you can unlock colors by buying DLC or microtransactions or whatever they think of next. I hope (no demand!) to see that within the next two years. Merely as a personal victory towards everyone that told me it would "never get that bad" that yes, just before the major crash, it did get that bad. Who knows, maybe as soon as the next Call of Duty you can unlock crouching with a lootbox. Don't say it would never happen ;)

That was not really my point though. The point was: it's not either Activision or Communism, there can be something in between. In fact, if you want to stop your own market from collapsing in front of you at some point then it's absolutely pivotal to strike a healthy balance between what you get and what the audience gets. With monetization spinning slowly but surely out of control, the balance is shifting gradually towards the point where the audience that really matters here (the so much despised 'casuals') will stop giving a shit about games. That's the point where we all lose.

Make a good product, sell it at a good price, make a profit. That's not greedy, that's a responsible way of doing business. You're making profits and not taking liberties with your audience. Liberties like, I don't know, a red crosshair for a dollar? And no, not even that crosshair is greedy in my book. But it does look borderline desperate, and that can not be good in the long run for anybody. Not even geeks like us notice that one, everybody does.

Anyway, if that opinion makes me a communist then I'd say dig up McCarthy and I will try to give him a run for his money.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

Slippery Slope is a poor argument here because the industry isn't going  to crash and burn because an optional item was made available for purchase. You're not compelled to buy it nor are you forced to. Even with your stance, these transactions bring in Billions, with a B, in revenue so if people were honestly tired of them, they'd stop selling and companies would stop making them and regardless, who am I to tell them what to buy?

As for a major crash, people forget that Atari more or less stood alone while today we have a variety of strong companies in the industry, a crash is less likely to happen when we have the leveled playing field that exists right now and everyone is doing something different.

You're not forced to buy anything here, if you disagree with a company's practices or offerings, then don't partake in them but don't presume you're being had when you have never been at any point forced to participate. And I called no one a communist, I merely made a comparison. Companies exist to make money or to drive whatever the personal goal of it's owner or owners forward, usually meaning a profit. They're not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts and you're also not compelled to do business with them

Edited by majob