Rathalos Wing drop rate?!

I seem to be having no luck at all in getting Rathalos to drop his item. What I've been doing: replaying Rathalos / Twilight over and over again, beating him in about a minute each time. I've been using the M47 (rocket launcher) to take him down and it's just really beginning to test my patience now. I thought it would be smooth sailing after I S ranked all of the damn vehicle missions but that has not been the case..

For anyone who managed to get the item to drop, does this sound normal? Can you remember how you got him to drop his item? Lethal or non-lethal kill? Any advice/help would be appreciated.

As for now, I'm going to stop playing this mission and go back to batting Peace Walker Custom; haven't managed to get it's leg drop for Zeke either.. ?

1 minute ago, Deceptrox said:

If you are lucky, you'll get it without much trouble. If you are unlucky, like the vast majority, you will have to keep replaying that mission. Try and retry, rinse and repeat, you will get the drop eventually. 

I guess I'm part of the unlucky group. I've switched up my tactic.. I've been searching all over for the best ways of getting the item to drop and it seems that destroying his tail/wings/head with a lethal weapon and then proceeding to tranquilize him offers the best chance of getting the item to drop. Only time will tell I guess..

20 minutes ago, Uncharted_Baihh said:

I guess I'm part of the unlucky group. I've switched up my tactic.. I've been searching all over for the best ways of getting the item to drop and it seems that destroying his tail/wings/head with a lethal weapon and then proceeding to tranquilize him offers the best chance of getting the item to drop. Only time will tell I guess..

You can try that, but it won't make a big difference. Just like you, I guess it took me between 30 something to 50 tries to get the drop. I tried destroying its wings then tranquilize it, destroying all their parts with the M134/M47 plus bandana, etc... Just keep playing and it will drop when you expect it the least. Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

I was farming this for a while as well before i ended up giving up. Ill probably have to find someone that has it that can drop it for me

I’m about to go back grinding this.. I’ll message you once I’ve managed to get it to drop and can help you with the two trophies you have left then :platinum:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

You can try that, but it won't make a big difference. Just like you, I guess it took me between 30 something to 50 tries to get the drop. I tried destroying its wings then tranquilize it, destroying all their parts with the M134/M47 plus bandana, etc... Just keep playing and it will drop when you expect it the least. Good luck.

Just over 100 attempts later and the prick finally dropped the item... but now I have a new problem. It's saying I don't have the required staff to develop the item... but I have multiple staff in my Intel unit with the Japanese Patriot skill? My R&D team is at level 99 so there's no issue in that regard.. I guess I'll just go back to grinding mission 49 in hopes that the game registers that I have staff with the skill.. very disheartening.

Edit: Wow... turns out I couldn't develop the item because I hadn't any staff in my R&D department with the Japanese Patriot skill.. I had them all in my Intel team ? Panic over!

Edited by Uncharted_Baihh
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I got mine relatively quickly. I did solo S rank only tranq-ing and then joined a group, and shot off tail, broke head and wings, and tranq'd and got it either first or second game I tried.

I found the lowest effort way to fight these MH bosses is to take bandana, stun grenades, sleep grenades, and any LMG (I kept MG3 or M134). You can stunlock the main monster if you time and position the stun grenades right in front of him and have them go off right after certain animations, and either throw a sleep at the little dinos, or just let them get sleeped from proximity. When the monster shakes off the stun, and the stars disappear over their head, you can already have a stun grenade waiting. I think they DO get stunned out of the wake-up animation, if I am remembering correctly.

But yeah basically stun, and sleep the tiny dinos, shoot the tail until it severs, shoot the wings and head until you see the spikes on each have breaks in them, and then sleep grenade like crazy for the S rank. I'm not gonna say this is necessarily the fastest or highest drop rate, but just sharing something I found to be pretty easy to do. Will work with Tigrex and Gear REX as well, though Tigrex likes to wake up the little dinos with tail swipes and such, more often. I did get my drop in about 5-7 kills, but only broke all parts maybe twice? I think I just got really lucky on this one. Just be careful, it's easy to clip a tiny dino with your MG fire because they like to jump at you, and will jump into your line of bullets.