How is it now?

cosmicanomaly

Just finished Sniper Elite 3 and 4 and really enjoyed them and would like to continue with the sniper type gameplay.  Reading reviews for SGW3 many reviews talked/complained about the bugs and glitches in the game, but most of these reviews were when the game first came out.  Has the game improved with patches?  Is it playable now with few problems?  Is it a fun enjoyable sniping game?  The Playstation store has it on sale for a good price so would be tempted to buy it if your responses are somewhat positive.  Thanks.

I love this kind of sniper settings and enjoyed the game with patch 1.04, but must replayed the game for few trophies on patch 1.07. I think there few little bugs in the game, but they do not annoy me. I love the sniper gameplay of this game. Only annoying is the fact that the loading time for the start of the game or switching between the three maps (I think ca 2min). The open world has some nice interestic points but not so many like a AC.

All in all, if you like to sniper soldiers similar to sniper elite and you have no problem with an open world game, where the focus is only on the campaign and few side quests, then I recommend it

• 1 year later...

Its still terrible. I cant imagine how bad it must have been before.  These guys should never make another game.  So many little issues.  Random crashing, missions not progressing, pathetic load times, and overall poor game design.  Finished a mission? Back to the safe house to start the next one, oh look its right beside the mission I JUST finished.  Huge waste of time this one is.  I really enjoyed the previous two.  Shame. 2/10.  Hardest part of getting the plat is sticking with this trash. 

EDIT - so last night i had it consistently crashing when reloading a checkpoint, enemies are still disappearing and reappearing through my scope. Its just a bad joke. Had I paid for this game I would be looking for a refund.

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 2020-02-25 at 11:21 PM, audiopile said:

Its still terrible. I cant imagine how bad it must have been before. 

Agreed. I can't believe I just spent about 30ish hours playing this broken mess. Despite the tons of feedback about how buggy this game is, I stupidly caved in and played it because it was so cheap (6.99 for the GOTY) and I like sniper games. 

Although it's a 2017 game, a lot of the NPC faces and animals look like they're from a 2005 game. The driving is bad, the climbing sections are awful, and the story and voice acting are forgettable. And sweet Jesus, the loading times are the worst of any PS4 game I've played. Like, laughably long (that's on a PS4 Pro, too).

To top it off, I just had my save file corrupt right after I finished the main story. The game had a message that it was restoring something (the cloud save?) and I was able to resume playing, but there were a bunch of issues. When I finally hit the 100 km of driving mark for the trophy, the trophy didn't pop (I drove a little more and sit at 105 km driven and no trophy). I did the triple kill with one bullet twice for the trophy I still needed and it didn't pop. And the map was all messed up. When I was in one region and checked another region, some of the collectibles I was missing were marked on the map, as well as the Dam side mission unlock icon. But when I travelled to the region, none of those things would show up on the map.

I thought I'd get this platinum, but I'm checking out with 74% of the trophies completed. This game is a textbook example of buyer beware and I'd strongly advise anyone to skip it unless they're very patient and are willing to deal with the guaranteed aggravation they'll have with it. 

• 1 month later...
On 08/12/2020 at 6:29 AM, Thrillhelm said:

It is a much better experience on PS5.

Load times cut by 2/3s, no game crashing and no freezes.

Had run into the bug which caused the game crashing when you fail a mission (getting detected) on PS4, switched over to PS5 and the problem got solved.

Any problems with trophies? Thinking on buying it as it's $7.  I'm on PS5 too. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 4:59 PM, Thrillhelm said:

It is a much better experience on PS5.

Load times cut by 2/3s, no game crashing and no freezes.

Had run into the bug which caused the game crashing when you fail a mission (getting detected) on PS4, switched over to PS5 and the problem got solved.

i am starting this on PS5 right now :P

• 2 months later...

Just to say, I’m about 5 hours into this and I haven’t experienced any crashes or glitches so far (PS4 version).

It feels like a very different game to the previous two (which I preferred). This feels very much like a remake of Far Cry 2. Seriously! 

Overall I’m having fun with it, but navigation through the maps are a chore and the load times are awful. Sniping is still fun. 6/10.

playing on ps5, loading are way faster than in ps4, but still takes a while. There are less glitches now, but i got one that the side mission opium war 5 did not show up even after completing the game so i can't unlock one trophy. Don't know why did this happen or if there is a way around without starting a new game, since i have a save that theoretically is before the mission that unlock that side mission, and after replaying that save 2 times nothing appeared. 

On 25/05/2021 at 11:19 PM, batman844 said:

Just to say, I’m about 5 hours into this and I haven’t experienced any crashes or glitches so far (PS4 version).

OK, I take it all back. It was glitch free until I reached act 2.5. Since then it’s been crashing everyday (usually when trying to reload a checkpoint). I’ve reached 94% story completion with 70% trophies, but it’s been a real chore. I’ll be glad when this one is over. It’s a shame because under the surface there is quite a good game trying to get out!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

It's now 90% off in the UK store. Is it worth it for 3 quid? 

Unless there’s a particular reason you want to play it then I’d pass even at that price. There are far better sniper games around like the Sniper Elite series. And far better open world military shooters like Ghost Recon Wildlands or The Division.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Unless there’s a particular reason you want to play it then I’d pass even at that price. There are far better sniper games around like the Sniper Elite series. And far better open world military shooters like Ghost Recon Wildlands or The Division.

Thanks. Sniper Elite v2 is only £1 more so should I go for that instead? 

I've played this cursed game to 100% at least 3 times across multiple patches. The gun collectables trophies have glitched out on me everytime. At this point in time the guns are now in different locations but I'm not sure if i can ever finish it due to not wanting to deal with the incredibly long loading times (even on ps5) and the fact that the game is longer than it deserves to be. 

I've cleared all saved data, blah blah, not much has helped. I'm almost positive I'll get the collectable trophy on a new run, but dang....

I had the same issue with Dying Light at launch (took 3 full 100% collectable runs to work thanks to faulty patches) and its exhausting. 

For those who choose to play the game now they will likely be fine with trophies popping, I just had the misfortune of collectables not counting properly. The game isn't terrible but it's your run of the mill scout enemy bases, tag foes, use a drone (wildlands style) game. 

Someone above mentioned the Sniper Elite series being superior, and it is. At least if you like games with sniping mechanics. 

God I hate this game, lol.

Edited by RoxasOnFire
Spelling
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoxasOnFire said:

For those who choose to play the game now they will likely be fine with trophies popping, I just had the misfortune of collectables not counting properly.

Since I don't own a PS5, how does it run on PS4 standard? :hmm:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

Since I don't own a PS5, how does it run on PS4 standard? :hmm:

I've never played on the standard ps4, mostly on a ps4 slim and one play on a ps4 pro. I started recently on ps5 but remembered how much I hated the game so I quit after a few hours.

I would think standard ps4 would be a pain to play on with loading times. The game has many loading screens. Deaths, fast travels,  swapping territories, and initial game loading were terrible even on my ps4 pro.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoxasOnFire said:

I would think standard ps4 would be a pain to play on with loading times. The game has many loading screens. Deaths, fast travels,  swapping territories, and initial game loading were terrible even on my ps4 pro.

Thank you. I'm kinda immune to long load times since platting games like Assassin's Creed Unity, MGSV: The Phantom Pain, etc. xD

• Like 2