WHAT PLAYSTATION 4 DO YOU OWN

Squarevii87

PS4PRO OR BASE MODEL  

337 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT PLAYSTATION YOU OWN?

Have a standard PS4, upgraded to 2TB internal HD and 4TB external..... still need more space, lol, so looking at getting 8TB external ?

Will probably end up getting a PRO in the lounge room as now have 4K tv there now thanks to a free upgrade from TCL when original 65 inch broke down ?

...also have 2x PS3's, 3x Vitas, PS2, PSTV and PS1

• Like 1

OG PS4, the one with the touch buttons and glossy HDD cover with a 2TB Internal. I just got me my first 4KTV...but I don't see a point in getting a Pro unless this PS4 kicks the bucket....the PS5 will likely be my first 4K console. 

Also have a PS3 Super Slim (had a Slim that got YLOD), that I still use and a PS1 up in the closet. Used to have a PS2 but it was stolen out of my apartment in 2006. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I have a PS4 Pro.

Also, why is this thread turning into a PS4Pro vs. base PS4 thread?  Nobody cares if you don't think the pro is worth it or that you don't understand how it's an improvement so you just say it's not worth it because you read that somewhere on the internet.  

Its not a vs thing,i just want to ask what ps people own  at this site

Edited by Squarevii87

Still have my launch PS4. 500GB is fine for me as I just delete games. Does need cleaning out like every 6 months due to fan and I also have VR which is great. Not gonna get a pro, will just wait for PS5. I don't care about graphics too much and don't play on any top of the range modern TV or anything although I guess I'll have to upgrade that at some point, probably in a few years.

500GB Original PS4 with 1TB external. Just formatted the drive few months ago (some corruptted cluster took about 100 GB so I formatted it) so I don't have memory problem soon.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:54 AM, Viper said:

Also have a PS3 Super Slim (had a Slim that got YLOD), that I still use and a PS1 up in the closet. Used to have a PS2 but it was stolen out of my apartment in 2006. 

Yours are quite like mine. Have a slim PS1 and PS3 in the shelf and my PS2 slim was stolen too, back in 2011. Damn burglar also took my Wii sensor too, without touching the Wii itself.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:28 AM, ResoluteRock said:

Base PS4 with 500 GB hard drive, which isn’t nearly enough room, but my 2TB external storage is more than enough now.

Never going to buy a PS4 Pro, not worth it for the slight visual/performance upgrade. I’ll wait for the PS5 instead and see how that looks.

My thoughts exactly.

Like I've done with the past two generations (including this one), I'm going to wait a couple years and then make my decision.

It's just not worth it to buy a console at launch anymore. Just look at the PS4. It's completely different now from what it was in late 2013 when it released.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:22 PM, angelgrievous said:

I have a PS4 Pro.

Also, why is this thread turning into a PS4Pro vs. base PS4 thread?  Nobody cares if you don't think the pro is worth it or that you don't understand how it's an improvement so you just say it's not worth it because you read that somewhere on the internet.  

I don't care either.

But what bothers me is when people start to brag about their PS4 Pro saying it's so cool and 4K graphics are so amazing.

I bought my PS4 in July 2015, and that came with Batman: Arkham Knight bundled. I must say that was a good investment, not only because I had a brand new system but also because it came with a AAA game I was looking forward to.

Some use the PS4 Pro as bragging rights. The Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 generations had changes to their consoles, every version was more slim and yet contained more space than the previous model. But this is the first time in console gaming history that we have seen a mid generation release that is an actual improvement over the previous model, both in frames per second and obviously the upgrade to 4K graphics.

If you love your PS4 Pro, that's great. That's really all that matters. But I'm tired of people on social media websites like Facebook and Twitter saying how much better their PS4 Pro is than my vanilla PS4 model. I don't feel discouraged playing Marvel's Spider Man or Detroit: Become Human on an older PS4 console. What matters to me is the gameplay, not a bunch of shiny, fancy graphics that little kids are going to cling to like Halloween candy.

As someone who has been gaming for over 25 years, gameplay is what matters. The 4K graphics is basically a selling point for these giant corporate companies to make profit. Yeah sure, 4K graphics will become standard eventually, but we haven't reached that plateau just yet. To me it doesn't matter if a game has 8 - bit, 16 - bit, 32 - bit, 64 - bit or whatever graphics. If I really enjoy it, then that's getting my money's worth.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I don't care either.

But what bothers me is when people start to brag about their PS4 Pro saying it's so cool and 4K graphics are so amazing.

I bought my PS4 in July 2015, and that came with Batman: Arkham Knight bundled. I must say that was a good investment, not only because I had a brand new system but also because it came with a AAA game I was looking forward to.

Some use the PS4 Pro as bragging rights. The Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 generations had changes to their consoles, every version was more slim and yet contained more space than the previous model. But this is the first time in console gaming history that we have seen a mid generation release that is an actual improvement over the previous model, both in frames per second and obviously the upgrade to 4K graphics.

If you love your PS4 Pro, that's great. That's really all that matters. But I'm tired of people on social media websites like Facebook and Twitter saying how much better their PS4 Pro is than my vanilla PS4 model. I don't feel discouraged playing Marvel's Spider Man or Detroit: Become Human on an older PS4 console. What matters to me is the gameplay, not a bunch of shiny, fancy graphics that little kids are going to cling to like Halloween candy.

As someone who has been gaming for over 25 years, gameplay is what matters. The 4K graphics is basically a selling point for these giant corporate companies to make profit. Yeah sure, 4K graphics will become standard eventually, but we haven't reached that plateau just yet. To me it doesn't matter if a game has 8 - bit, 16 - bit, 32 - bit, 64 - bit or whatever graphics. If I really enjoy it, then that's getting my money's worth.

Whew, lot to unpack here.  I'll try and articulate my thoughts as best I can but I can't make any promises.  Please bear with me.  

First, if you let internet trolls on facebook and twitter get to you over stupid console wars then you're taking it to personally.  Who gives a flying fuck what those people say/care about?  You should never feel shame for playing a game on anything you can/want to.  Anyone saying otherwise isn't worth listening to.  Everyone should be able to play a game how they want, where they want, on what system they want, whatever.  I don't care if you buy full priced games just to speed through it with a trophy guidet to get the platinum and move on.  

Why the fuck would I care how someone else plays a game?

I like to play games for all kinds of reasons and I like to get as much out of a game as I can.  I agree that, for me and you at least, gameplay takes top spot in how I enjoy games, but I'd be lying if I said it was the only reason, or the most important reason.  

I like my games to look and run the best possible.  I think the story and acting in a movie is the most important aspect of a movie but I'll be damned if I settle for watching something like "There Will be Blood" on DVD when I can watch in on Blu-ray or 4K.  Hell, even older movies like "The Royal Tenenbaums", or "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", despite being two of my favorite films of all time, will never enter my house as a VHS tape.  I've owned them on VHS.  I've seen them on VHS.  Even though I hold story and acting so high up as an important aspect of any film, the upgrade provided by blu-ray and 4k enhance the experience so much that I can never go back.  Same for games.  

And finally, yeah, 4k/HDR have become selling points for the "giant corporations", but what did you expect?  This is where things are going, and console makers have to keep up with it to stay competitive.  They're no longer just competing with other consoles.  They've got phones and computers breathing down their necks.  Sony decided to try it's hand at a mid-gen upgrade targeted to people that wanted such a thing.  I did, some didn't, nobody should care too much about it though.  The Pro offers an upgrade to the base PS4.  I find the upgrade to be significant enough to warrant a purchase.  If you don't that's fine but this thread was about which system you own, not why you think the pro isn't worth it.  That's all I was saying, or trying to anyway. 

Also, I'm sorry if I seem like a little kid clinging to Halloween candy because I like my games to look clean and crisp.  Try playing a SNES game on an original system, hooked up to a crt, using just the composite cables vs playing it on a Super Nt hooked up to a modern television set.  It's just the better way to experience the game.   

54 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

First, if you let internet trolls on facebook and twitter get to you over stupid console wars then you're taking it to personally.  Who gives a flying fuck what those people say/care about?  You should never feel shame for playing a game on anything you can/want to.  Anyone saying otherwise isn't worth listening to.  Everyone should be able to play a game how they want, where they want, on what system they want, whatever.  I don't care if you buy full priced games just to speed through it with a trophy guidet to get the platinum and move on. 

Why the fuck would I care how someone else plays a game?

I don't let them get to me for the most part. But there are a few who feel they have such an advantage over those with a Slim/Pro that they have to mention it on their shitty fuckin Twitter profiles anyway.

And besides, most of these people are high school kids and young early 20 somethings who have nothing better to do than to bitch on Twitter and post their idiotic memes everywhere. That website is cancer.

I like my games to look and run the best possible.  I think the story and acting in a movie is the most important aspect of a movie but I'll be damned if I settle for watching something like "There Will be Blood" on DVD when I can watch in on Blu-ray or 4K.  Hell, even older movies like "The Royal Tenenbaums", or "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", despite being two of my favorite films of all time, will never enter my house as a VHS tape.  I've owned them on VHS.  I've seen them on VHS.  Even though I hold story and acting so high up as an important aspect of any film, the upgrade provided by blu-ray and 4k enhance the experience so much that I can never go back.  Same for games. 

If you want your games to look and run the best possible, you are playing the wrong platform. The custom PC market has plenty of sources and guides out there to help you on building your PC so it can provide the best looking graphics known to man. It already has the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One beat. But wait, you want to play some of the exclusives, so I guess you have the Pro to begin with.

Graphics don't make the movies themselves better. VHS I can understand because that was a format that came out in the late 1970s, early 1980s. It can hold maybe two and a half, maybe three hours of video footage at most.

DVDs when they came out in the late 1990s, early 2000s were a huge significant jump. Subtitles, a main menu, and exclusive footage such as interviews and commentary were a big deal. Blu-Rays are mostly the same thing, only it holds a lot more space and the resolution is higher. I just see 4K Blu-Rays as pointless.

I do not need 4K Blu-Ray to enjoy "There Will be Blood", which was a movie I actually watched in theaters when it came out. I enjoy the movie itself, but I don't need some snazzy, high res graphics to get the most out if it. A shitty movie is a shitty movie regardless of what resolution it is in. Am I at a big disadvantage for watching Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator on DVD? Should I watch every movie George Clooney has made in Blu-Ray/4K Blu-Ray? No.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is a late 1960s film. Like you that is one of my favorite films, without a doubt one of the best westerns ever made. I'm all for polishing old films so they look a little more crisp and clear, but releasing 4K Blu-Ray on those older movies is even more pointless. What are you getting that you haven't already gotten on DVD or Blu-Ray? It's every bit as stupid as the idiots who sell their regular Blu-Ray sets for their 4K Blu-Ray sets. What's the fucking point?

You can't compare DVDs and Blu-Rays with VHS and DVDs. The jump from VHS to DVD was very significant, the jump from DVD to Blu-Ray, not so much. I myself own a Blu-Ray player and I have some Blu-Ray sets of my favorite television shows and movies just like anybody else. But I don't need 4K, because what are you truly getting that you didn't already get with Blu-Ray?

And finally, yeah, 4k/HDR have become selling points for the "giant corporations", but what did you expect?  This is where things are going, and console makers have to keep up with it to stay competitive.  They're no longer just competing with other consoles.  They've got phones and computers breathing down their necks.  Sony decided to try it's hand at a mid-gen upgrade targeted to people that wanted such a thing.  I did, some didn't, nobody should care too much about it though.  The Pro offers an upgrade to the base PS4.  I find the upgrade to be significant enough to warrant a purchase.  If you don't that's fine but this thread was about which system you own, not why you think the pro isn't worth it.  That's all I was saying, or trying to anyway. 

Also, I'm sorry if I seem like a little kid clinging to Halloween candy because I like my games to look clean and crisp.  Try playing a SNES game on an original system, hooked up to a crt, using just the composite cables vs playing it on a Super Nt hooked up to a modern television set.  It's just the better way to experience the game.  

This is what bothers me.

So many people like to say the enhancements for the PS4 Pro are so great that those of us with a PS4 Slim or Vanilla PS4 are at a disadvantage. For some people it takes a while for them to adapt, but what I mostly see coming out of this is games that look closer to real life.

This is why I buy a lot of indies because truthfully I don't need a 100 GB game in 4K to enjoy the game play. If this game is a small little game that some guy made in his garage in a few weeks that I ended up enjoying, that's good enough for me. Just look at Undertale.

I respect Nintendo for this because they have stayed true to their roots. The latest Legend of Zelda game was met with a lot of praise and guess what, it didn't look all too impressive compared to the behemoths Sony and Microsoft have been cranking out. Gameplay is what matters to me most, and I respect Nintendo because they have been delivering for nearly 40 years. There's a certain charm and appeal that you just can't get with modern day 4K video games or movies, at least in my opinion.

Call me "stuck in the past" because I watched some DVDs, still use my vanilla PS4 and still have my PS Vita and PS3 hooked up. You just contradicted yourself here because "Everyone should be able to play a game how they want, where they want, on what system they want, whatever." Yet you're telling me to try playing a SNES game on a original system complete with CRT television. You're getting the same game regardless if you play the original console, the Super NT, or an emulator you downloaded online. It's the same thing, you're just playing the games on more modern systems.

But to end this post, I care about the gameplay more than the graphics, and the acting and script direction in the TV shows/movies. Doesn't matter if I watch something in VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray or 4K Blu-Ray if the movie itself is a piece of shit and most people hate it. The content itself is what truly matters.

All I want to say really is I don't want others to feel discouraged by playing games like Marvel's Spider Man on a Vanilla PS4 or Slim PS4. It's a good game, and that's what counts.

Your entire argument to me is no better than the PC nut fanboys that think they're better because they have all these customization options and whatever that a PS4 and Xbox One do not. I don't care about your specs, your 4K graphics card or any of that. But obviously you think different than I do, and if my opinions come across as offensive then feel free to say it. We just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Spaz

Mine is a plain jet black 500GB slim, bought autumn last year. It came with 2 DS4. 

I figured I wouldn’t be playing my PS4 nearly enough between my VITA, PS3 and if going to voc school later this year as planned to justify a 349€ 1TB slim (for the double space) + a 2nd 59€ DS4 or 399€ 500GB pro (my TV is 7ys+ but the extra power sounded appealing) + a 2nd 59€ DS4. If I’d spent that much, I’d have felt bad later. (Adult + back to school = no income.) ಡ_ಡ

I hooked up a 1TB Intenso ext HDD to my PS4 last month because 2x FFXV (186GB) took up far too much space on the internal drive. I tend to keep a lookout for deals on physical copies, so space won’t be a critical issue from here on out (...I think).

Edited by Fenrirfeather
Gummy Bears

I've got both the original PS4 (500 GB) & the Pro.  I added a 4 TB external HDD to the Pro, because some of the AAA games are really expensive to install (some easily taking 50+ GB).  What made me want the Pro was Boost mode & the performance options some games offer.

I used to have a 42" Zenith (another LG brand) plasma TV hooked into it but got rid of that.  That's because it was only 720p... good enough for 360 & PS3, but this TV was 8+ years old & it was time to upgrade. Now I'm using a 43" 1080p LG flat panel.  Not in a hurry to jump to 4K just yet.

PC master race & console wars, 8-16-32-64 bit, 1080p/4K... whatever, I just tune out the bickering... no jealousy, no heartache!  I'm not in any hurry to rush out to buy one of those Nvidia RTX cards. There are some games before my time that I've played & enjoyed- maybe not as flashy as what we have now, but still with some good gameplay.  I don't write off a game for being a 1980s release.  Some 80s arcade titles are on the PS4 for just a few bucks (Arcade Archives series) & turn out to be pleasant surprises that I'm glad to have gotten a chance to buy & play.

• Like 1

PS4 Pro 1TB glacier white, it looks so clean & minimalistic. I heard It's a gamestop / ebgames exclusive but they always restock them, so not that rare I'd say. Literally have no idea why anyone would more than a terabyte on their drives. A simple gamedata cleanup should suffice. The 4k feature seems so irrelevant as well, hardly any games support it and when they do well.. the experience stays the same, nothing impressive. The only reason why I chose the Pro version is for the decreased load times, I'm all about the efficiency.

18 hours ago, MisterGibraltar said:

Damn burglar also took my Wii sensor too, without touching the Wii itself.

Lol, that's funny. Not the actual theft, just their choice. Maybe all they needed was the sensor and everything else was just to throw you off their trail. Or they honestly didn't know and thought the sensor would net them a good cash payout. Had my original PS4 stolen in late 2017 as I moved across the countey due to work. Having to restart and loss of all my screenshots and trophy captures hurt worse then buying a new 1TB PS4 at $300. Still may not ever 100% Nioh because I don't feel like playing the base game before I can step into the DLCs, which are just replays of the base game on harder difficulties for some of the trophies, nearly have to replay 4 times. How I understand it at least.

• Like 1