• Final Fantasy VI
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Final Fantasy VIII
    • Final Fantasy IX
    • Final Fantasy X
    • Final Fantasy XII
    • Final Fantasy XIII
    • Final Fantasy XV

Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite from the main series, IX being the runner up. I played them all from VI on, but whenever I think Final Fantasy, I think of VIII. The intro alone still hooks me, it was fantastic how it stops just before Squall and Rinoa would fall in each other's arms. Except for Yuna from FF X, the characters are the most memorable to me, and the soundtrack is really good. I played the game through three times in a row. Those were the times when the name Final Fantasy still had a magic ring to it, but ever since FF XIII, that magic has been lost for me.

VIII > IX > X > X-2 > VII > XIII-3 > XII > XIII-2 > VI > XV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XIII

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DrHambone said:

VII is my favorite, followed by IX. Can't get enough of Cloud and the gang!

Well then you must play Tactics :) Getting Cloud in that game is super easy you just have to do the following (and mind you if you screw up any of this you can't unlock him :P)

To recruit Cloud, you must have reached chapter 4 in the game. It is 
impossible to get him any earlier than chapter 4, so you'd be best off not 
wasting your time. You also have to have kept Mustadio alive and in your 
party. If he crystallized or if you dismissed him, then you're screwed. 

Step 1:  Head on over to Zeltennia Castle and hit up the bar for rumors. You 
need to ask about the rumor of "The Cursed Island". Once you've read up on 
the situation, return to the world map. You should see a new path open up 
towards an island to the north. Unfortunately, you can't go there yet. 
There's still more you need to do.  

Step 2:  Head on over to Zarghidas Trade City. Inside you'll see a flower 
girl. Remind you of someone? Well she better or you're not Square fan! 
Anyways, be sure to buy a pretty little flower from her like the nice guy you 
are.

Step 3:  Head to Goug Machine City and watch the cutscene that follows.

Step 4:  Now you need to recruit Beowulf before you can advance. You can find 
him at Lesalia Imperial Capital. Here's the good party, you don't need to do 
anything to get him to join you party. Just agree with what he has to say to 
you and he'll join automatically. 

Step 5: Now there are 2 more things you need to get. One is the character 
Reis, and the other is the Aquarius Zodiac Stone. Head over to Goland Coal 
City and start fighting your way down. After a few battles, you'll find Reis 
the dragon. She needs help. Kill off the enemies in the battle while keeping 
her alive and she will join you. You'll also pick up the zodiac stone. Now 
get yourself out of there.

Step 6:  Now you need to do some back tracking. Head to Goug Machine City 
once again and check out a new cut scene. Now you'll be rewarded with a new 
character, Worker #8.

Step 7:  You can now head to that island you unlocked. Unfortunately, you're 
going to have to fight your way in. You can kill all the little guys first, 
or just take out the worker to end the fight quickly. Either way, the battle 
can prove quite challenging. Congratulations, you just earned another Zodiac 
Stone.

Step 8: Finally, you can get Cloud. Head back to Goug once again. Watch the 
cutscene and bam, you're spiky blonde friend has returned. Unfortunately, so 
has his schizophrenia. He promptly runs off and now you have to chase him 
down. 

Step 9:  Go to Igros castle, watch the cutscene, then go to Zarghidas Trade 
City again. There he is!

Oh and once you get him he is Level 1 and completely underpowered and by now you have a bunch of super OP characters...but you still have Cloud :)

On 1/22/2019 at 2:07 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

Oh and once you get him he is Level 1 and completely underpowered and by now you have a bunch of super OP characters...but you still have Cloud :)

Didn't you have to pick up his materia blade to get anything out of him? I remember being massively disappointed by Cloud.

11 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Didn't you have to pick up his materia blade to get anything out of him? I remember being massively disappointed by Cloud.

See the first time I played (and beat) tactics I got Cloud but never used him because my team was so powerful I didn't need him.

I had mostly Ninja/Lancers so they were jumping all over the map and taking two turns each :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

You need his blade for his class limit break skill set, but otherwise you could build him up like the other characters. I never used him, though, because there are enough powerful classes and accessories to dominate the field.

Out of the ones I've played I'll have to say VII was my favorite as well. I can imagine that most of the gamers who chose VII as their favorite were ones who grew up in the ps1 era (including myself) than those who played the port on the ps4. This would make a lot of sense since VII was really a breakthrough in gaming at the time (along with Metal Gear Solid) since many of the games back then didn't even come close to the quality that VII was, imo at least. It is one of those rare great gaming memories that stuck with you and that you could only fully understand if you had lived through it at the time. Others that I've played were VIII, X, XII and XIII, which I liked them each in their own way and that are all on equal footing in terms of enjoyment. X-2 and IV were ones I've also started but haven't had the chance to play them all that much. I plan on doing IX later down the line.

• Like 1

I'm new to the final fantasy series, the last time I played was on FF 3 as a kid, only played for a few hours on the snes and never picked up the series since. But after seeing lava_Yuki mention how hard FF X was, I decided to check it out. I am now 160+ hours into the game and I'm still grinding for the sphere grid, already set myself up to complete the game, but I want to kill the dark aeons first and get lulu sigil.  I have loved every moment of playing final fantasy X and I am still determined to plat this game, never felt so happy to get the chocobo rider with 16 balloon's, no birds and I think it was 35.6 sec on the clock, have to double check my screenshot. I hear how much a pain this trophy is and jumped for joy when I got it, just got the lighting dancer and chocobo master standing in the way of my plat.

I love playing old school games and FF X has reiginated my nosteligica and have made me a fan of the FF series, so this has become my favourite series, can't wait to get stuck into X2 and XV. will be looking for older series to play, but at the moment having the ability to cross play on the vita/ps4 for FF X is a godsend for the grind.

• Like 1

On 31/1/2019 at 1:53 PM, ninjagirl657 said:

I have loved every moment of playing final fantasy X and I am still determined to plat this game, never felt so happy to get the chocobo rider with 16 balloon's, no birds and I think it was 35.6 sec on the clock, have to double check my screenshot. I hear how much a pain this trophy is and jumped for joy when I got it, just got the lighting dancer and chocobo master standing in the way of my plat.

Whoever in Square was responsible of the Chocobo Rider minigame should be publicly executed. Those birds... ?

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 0:22 PM, marc_cp said:

Whoever in Square was responsible of the Chocobo Rider minigame should be publicly executed. Those birds... 1f606.png

I swear the developers put those annoying mini games, just to annoy gamers and drive them insane. Blame the director for the mini game idea, those birds were a nightmare when they hit you once, twice, and then three times for more pain ?. So glad I done it and finally got my lighting dancer and chocobo master, never want to see lighting or a chocobo ever again. Be glad when I plat it later, 214 hours grinding, mostly mini games, the sphere grid was not to bad, as had fun when I beat the earth eater over and over, nice amount of triple overdrive weapons for 100,000 a piece and fortune spheres.  But those birds will forever haunt my dreams...?

I've played most of the games from this saga, some that I liked more than others. But my choice definitely has to go to the eight chapter.
Final Fantasy VIII was my very first Final Fantasy game, played it for hundreds and hundreds of hours on my PS1. And I loved literally everything from that game.

Sure, one could reasonably argue that the Junction system was too overcomplicated, or that the whole thing about drawing magic from the enemies and the map was a let down, or even that the storyline wasn't the best, filled with plotholes... 

But still, Final Fantasy VIII still is an awesome videogame, and one of the best JRPG of the PS1 era. The soundtrack was gorgeous as always, but in this game Squaresoft probably reached their peak. Liberi Fatali and that intro scene still send me shivers everytime I play it... or The Landing, coupled with another majestic FMV. The music of Balamb Garden, of the the World Map, of every enemies encounter, everything was top notch.

The lore of the games was also quite complex, although it wasn't as explored as let say the ones from Gaia and Spira. I liked how - storywise - the magic was treated and the whole conflict against the Witches. Collecting Guardian Force and levelling them up felt almost like a Pokémon game, and don't get me started with Triple Triad. I loved collecting cards!

Zell Dincht isn't as edgy as Kain Highwind (my avatar tells it all ?), yet he's probably one of my favourite FF character of all times. And then there are Squall, Rinona, Selphie, Edea... Quistis and Irvine were fine, not like the others tho. I could literally write an essay about this game!

If I were to choose other FF very close of being my favourite, I'd say IV and X. And I really need to play VI as well.

• Like 4

On 9/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, ninjagirl657 said:

I swear the developers put those annoying mini games, just to annoy gamers and drive them insane. Blame the director for the mini game idea, those birds were a nightmare when they hit you once, twice, and then three times for more pain 1f621.png. So glad I done it and finally got my lighting dancer and chocobo master, never want to see lighting or a chocobo ever again. Be glad when I plat it later, 214 hours grinding, mostly mini games, the sphere grid was not to bad, as had fun when I beat the earth eater over and over, nice amount of triple overdrive weapons for 100,000 a piece and fortune spheres.  But those birds will forever haunt my dreams...1f425.png

Tell me about it, I abandoned the game for nearly two years due to the chocobo minigames, until I decided to try again and by some miracle I did them ? Congrats on the platinum!

• Like 1

Ouch, that's a long time to be put off a game, but those chocobo mini-games do require skill, a good grind and luck. I nearly wanted to do that, but I used the vita for the chocoobo master, much more easy to control. At least you platinum the game, most people wouldn't even bother going back. Thanks my first time playing FF and got my 1st FF plat, now on FF X-2. Like the secret of mana plat you got.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninjagirl657 said:

Ouch, that's a long time to be put off a game, but those chocobo mini-games do require skill, a good grind and luck. I nearly wanted to do that, but I used the vita for the chocoobo master, much more easy to control. At least you platinum the game, most people wouldn't even bother going back. Thanks my first time playing FF and got my 1st FF plat, now on FF X-2. Like the secret of mana plat you got.

Too much luck, in fact. Placement of balloons mattered immensely, if memory serves. If the birds go for your opponent, rather than you, it really helps. 

I never was able to do this on PS2 (I managed to hit 0.00 twice, but you actually needed to be under 0.00, so it didn't count). Finally got it on PS3. Vita controls were better, huh?

The lightning game was much better on PS2. I had a ton of trouble with it on PS3. 

4 hours ago, marc_cp said:

Tell me about it, I abandoned the game for nearly two years due to the chocobo minigames, until I decided to try again and by some miracle I did them 1f604.png Congrats on the platinum!

You and me both. November 2014 to July 2017 for me.

Edited by starcrunch061

Out of all the main Final Fantasy games (those being 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 12, and 13), I can say that my top favorites would be 4 and 5, with 4 being the better game in my opinion. I've tried watching someone play 7 and I don't think it holds up as much as the SNES games.

13 is not that bad, but I also don't have the attention span to finish it. That being said, 1 is my least favorite.

8 hours ago, ZachGM91 said:

Out of all the main Final Fantasy games (those being 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 12, and 13), I can say that my top favorites would be 4 and 5, with 4 being the better game in my opinion. I've tried watching someone play 7 and I don't think it holds up as much as the SNES games.

13 is not that bad, but I also don't have the attention span to finish it. That being said, 1 is my least favorite.

What makes you think VII, IX or X are not "main" FF games? ?

1 hour ago, marc_cp said:

What makes you think VII, IX or X are not "main" FF games? 1f914.png

Apparently not everything I typed showed up. What I meant to say was out of the main games THAT I PLAYED. Nothing agenst those three (in real five, because X-2, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns are also main seires games that I haven't played). 

• 2 months later...

I like XIII the most, it was the first one I played. The battle system in XIII was fast and fluid. I adored Lightning and Vanille.  VII was pretty good especially the card component which was fun and drawing magic. X would be my third favorite, I really Tidus's character quite a bit and I liked the water aesthetic.