Electronic Arts Stock Gets Downgraded

Bullstomp

16 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

PREACH! 

I used to absolutely love EA but what they were when they started and what they are today are polar opposites. 

I used to love EA, because they published some of my all time favourite games but they went completely and utterly down the toilet in the early 2000s and never recovered :(. EA deserve all the hate they get these days, because of all their scummy and unforgivable practices.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Should be in the dumpster when they have exclusive rights to AAA Star Wars and have done nothing with it. That should give them a nice way to earn money, but they’ve cancelled as many games as they have released. 

Speaking of, apparently that one Visceral was supposed to be making also got cancelled. Leaving only that one Respawn is supposed to be making but after Battlefront I and II, I'm not holding my breath over it.

Sigh I wish we could get another Jedi Academy or KOTOR. Even another Rogue Squadron would do but I guess it really is too much to ask.

• Like 1

Their Desert Strike on Genesis is good.  I wouldn't count on today's EA to give us something like that.  If they did, you'd probably get only 3 missions for the base game, then the other 3 would be DLC for $10-15 each.  For every good thing EA does today, they do at least a couple shitty ones.

One thing they did OK with more recently was the Crysis series.  Not theirs, but good on them for publishing it.  I'd like to see Crytek get this series back from EA, like Hitman's developer IO Interactive did with Square Enix.  A Crysis Trilogy pack on PS4 would be welcome, but I think EA is totally through with that series.  Don't know about C3, but I'm sure the PS4 could run the other games in the series maxed at 60 FPS.

I'm not too happy about them (or was that BioWare's call?) putting always online DRM in Anthem.  You can play alone but it's the same sad story as BG&E 2.  Internet connection goes out, you don't play. So, why not just have separate offline-only & online-only game saves?   Online-only saves could be put in the cloud.

If EA did Skyrim, it'd probably be a $249.99 game masquerading as a $59.99 one.  Anything not on the main questline would probably be DLC.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2019 at 0:54 PM, Bullstomp said:

PREACH! 

I used to absolutely love EA but what they were when they started and what they are today are polar opposites. 

They were different back in the 1990s. Used to have a good selection of games such as the Road Rash games and the helicopter games Desert Strike/Jungle Strike.

Madden was actually worth playing, EA had a lot of good sports titles. 

Since EA gobbled up Maxis I have had zero respect for them. 

I still blame the Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3 controversies to be mainly EA’s doing.

• 2 weeks later...

EA Japan had some good stuff for Saturn owners... Battle Garegga (worth getting on PS4, that $35 is a better deal than the obscene amounts a Saturn copy is going for now) & Soukyugurentai.

Just can't help wondering how Mass Effect would've been if BioWare were not taken in by EA.  No doubt Andromeda would've been an Unreal Engine 4 game if that were the case.  I think they'd have had an easier time with making it on UE4.

Edited by gameoverDude189

14 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Just can't help wondering how Mass Effect would've been if BioWare were not taken in by EA.  No doubt Andromeda would've been an Unreal Engine 4 game if that were the case.  I think they'd have had an easier time with making it on UE4.

Bioware's been under EA since 2008 I believe. EA has just changed since then. Same thing has happened with developers like DICE.

FIFA is an absolute cash cow. They are not worried. It's like Microsoft being worried that Windows Phone was a failure, and Xbox One S and X are another. Windows and Office are cash cows too. Even with backlash, the average buyer just buys their crap. They don't even know what a microtransaction is, they'll probably pay it happily.

6 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Bioware's been under EA since 2008 I believe. EA has just changed since then. Same thing has happened with developers like DICE.

EA acquired them in October 2007, right before the first Mass Effect (20 November 2007) came out for the Xbox 360 with Microsoft publishing it. They were separate from EA when making the first game. Pretty sure that EA was pushing their developers towards the Frostbite engine around the time Andromeda was in development... & even before (Dragon Age: Inquisition is also on Frostbite).  It's said Frostbite doesn't work too good with RPGs.  BW had a tough time with Inquisition as well.  An Andromeda developer said about Frostbite, "When it does something well, it does it extremely well.  When it doesn't do something, it really doesn't do something".

https://www.pcgamesn.com/mass-effect-andromeda/mass-effect-andromeda-frostbite-problems

Edited by gameoverDude189

7 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

EA acquired them in October 2007, right before the first Mass Effect (20 November 2007) came out for the Xbox 360 with Microsoft publishing it. They were separate from EA when making the first game. Pretty sure that EA was pushing their developers towards the Frostbite engine around the time Andromeda was in development... & even before (Dragon Age: Inquisition is also on Frostbite).  It's said Frostbite doesn't work too good with RPGs.  BW had a tough time with Inquisition as well.  An Andromeda developer said about Frostbite, "When it does something well, it does it extremely well.  When it doesn't do something, it really doesn't do something".

https://www.pcgamesn.com/mass-effect-andromeda/mass-effect-andromeda-frostbite-problems

That would mean ME2 and 3 were published by EA. ME2 is amazing and although ME3 was underwhelming, it was still a decent game. The multiplayer was also pretty enjoyable and I never felt the need to buy microtransactions. They were also both developed in Unreal Engine. EA's just become greedier over the years, probably because of new management or something to that effect. I can't help but think Bioware aren't what they used to be either. 

I wish they didn't ditch the Mako in ME 2 & 3.  In the original ME, doing drive-by shootings on Geth was a big part of the fun... though maybe just a little overpowered. It was nice to see the Nomad in Andromeda, even if it didn't have its own mounted cannon.

Yeah I'm sure thinking that Bioware may have changed, but not for the better.  I thought Andromeda was fine, though I'm not too excited about Anthem with its always-online requirement.  Why can't you play solo offline?  They should just have separate character profiles for SP & MP.  They can take the games as a service model & GTFO! At least the microtransactions are cosmetic only (so no P2W) & it's not supposed to have those damn loot boxes.  That said, some of them are ridiculously overpriced.  Some of the cosmetics go for 2000 shards.  With 100 shards being around $1, that's about $20.  You don't need to pay cash, since they can also be bought with coins found in-game.  I have a feeling you might have to grind like hell for that... they're not going to make it easy enough to keep players from feeling tempted to go buy shards.  Maybe this is what we get for the absence of loot boxes?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 0:46 PM, Xerxes said:

The downward slope of EA continues. Maybe they realize that they need to change their ways? Unlikely

*looks at micro prices in Apex shop*

Nope.

I've read plenty of articles stating that EA haven't had as much of a hand in Apex as other games they publish but the micro prices scream "EA" more then any game I've played that they've  published.

I don't like seeing companies fail but I especially don't like seeing companies spit in the faces of their consumers, so fuck them.