Yen's Pop('d) Plats

Yen-Pop

Okay, it's finally done! Probably only going to update when I finish a game, hit a milestone, or finish a DLC. I made this to replace a list I already had going for myself, so I hope to use it as a catch-all place for my trophy related accomplishments and events that I'm participating in! If anyone has any questions about games that I've played, I'll be writing little blurbs as I finish games but I wanted to keep them out of the OP just in the name of not bogging it down more than it already is ?

Right now, I'm working on:

S701135.png Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator 73% complete. It hasn't been too much of a slog so far, but I know now that I've gotten some of the easier/more common RNG phrases out of the way, I know that this is where the grind begins, especially for the infamous Say No More trophy. Hopefully if and when I do finish it, I won't hate anyone who is interested in photography!

Sf7217d.png Middle-earth: Shadow of War 9% complete. I didn't play it at all when all that loot box craziness was around it, and now playing it without those elements in the game I haven't really felt like the progression system is unfair - so far anyway. So far I like it a lot more than Shadow of Mordor for the simple fact that a lot of the movements and commands feel better and actually feel like they work. I haven't yelled about Talian nearly as much as I did in the first game, that's for sure!

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Guacamelee 2 any harder than the first game?

Not a bad list at all.

Thanks!

And I wouldn't say it's much harder but I would definitely recommend doing the Hard Mode run and 100% run in seperate playthroughs. There were a handful of collectible sections that would have been easier on normal and that could have been avoided all together on hard.

• 1 month later...

1Sa7d0c1.png

Kingdom Hearts III :platinum: Complete Master

February 19, 2019

Well then! After getting almost no games done because I was waiting for it, Kingdom Hearts III finally came out and I finally got a platinum in my favorite game series! I've played the main entries multiple times, and I've attempted and failed to platinum Kingdom Hearts games in the past - and to be honest, I had already accepted that I wouldn't in this one either - but this time I've done it. Probably helps that other than a little RNG there's not really too much difficulty to it. We'll see if they add a NG+/difficulty trophy if they end up adding DLC to the game, but until then I feel pretty freakin' victorious. 

S701135.png I have made just a little progress on this pig of a game, leaving me with just one last trophy but unfortunately it's the dreaded Say No More ("Your wife is interested in photography, nudge nudge!"). I'm not just dedicated I am bloody determined to get this platinum. It's gotten personal now. I hope that it doesn't take me 10000 years but even if it does I will persevere!

Edited by Yen-Pop

1S385fed.png

Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator :platinum: Platinum

I AM SCREAMING. You don't have to go too far to hear the trophy hunter horror stories about this particular gem, thanks in no small part to the atrocious RNG. The game itself is not hard - you 'duel' the computer in insult contests and try to put words together to wear down their health bar first. The trophies are mostly hitting milestones - like participating in 100 duels, using Satan in an insult 66 times, etc - and then putting together certain phrases. NOW. A lot of the phrases you can get fairly easily, like "Your mother was a hamster", "Your mother is your father", you get the picture. But then there was the trophy Say No More. "Your mother is interested in photography, nudge nudge!". I thought, well, it was broken before but the developers came out and patched it, it's probably just rare because people never went back right? Wrong. Oh, so wrong. Even with the patch, even with the obscure hint from the developers on Twitter, EVEN WITH everyone sharing their experiences and how they laboriously earned their own hard-fought platinum trophy, it still took me more than a month of playing about an hour a day to even ever come close. Today when I sat down with it I promised myself I would only waste an hour of my time, since so much of my time had been squandered on it already, and when the elusive 'nudge nudge!' came up I literally screamed. My trophies popped and I deleted it from my hard drive immediately. As of right now, PSNP is doing maintenance so I can't update my profile yet, but I'm not waiting. I'm taking my victory lap. 

? Thank you Video Game Gods.

0/10 would not recommend. 

Edited by Yen-Pop
  • Like 1

1S08dae6.png

Middle-earth: Shadow of War :platinum: The Bright Lord

March 1, 2019

Well I officially finished it and I can say definitively that without all the loot box/micro-transaction nonsense Monolith did a really good job rebalancing the game, especially the Shadow Wars end game section with the various seizing of and defending of forts - where it used to be ten rounds, now it's only three! And thankfully, there wasn't a resurgence of the 'get x level relic' BS from the first game. Even the hardest trophies had cheese-y work arounds and, despite taking a break for Kingdom Hearts III, it really didn't overstay it's welcome at all. Don't know that I necessarily recommend playing both games so close together, but if they came out with a third I wouldn't be too mad. I'm even thinking of adding the DLC to my ever-expanding DLC backlog ? as if I needed one backlog, let alone two. Ah well, thank goodness for Community Challenges!

• 1 month later...

1S632ac6.png

Burly Men At Sea :platinum: Ye've Done It

April 12, 2019

Oof, been awhile since I got any Platinums, but I've made headway on a few games just not anything significant. So I did this free one! Why not? Also because it fit into the categories I needed for Community Events so, it works on a lot of levels. It was fine? It wasn't amazing or ground breaking. Some of the sound effects being made by mouth where interesting and it was interesting seeing all the ways it could go but other than that it was just... Fine? Eh. 

Sc6ccb6.png One I completely gave up on was The Witness. My mistake was hubris at the end of the day. I used a guide too much and didn't learn the different types of puzzles well enough to be able to finish the last challenge and I have no one to blame but myself. I could replay the game to get to that point, but why? I still won't learn them because it's too much like math homework - I know answers are in the back of the book, and I can't help but take a peak. Also, I could Share Play it but that just feels like extra cheating. 

1S7f0f1c.png

2064: Read Only Memories :platinum: Plasteel and Silica

April 16, 2019

Well it's finally over. After three full playthroughs, with an extra thanks to glitches, and five times through the awful 'final fight' portion, and multiple hours wrestling with the controls during the arcade game and robot fights, it's finally over. I do absolutely recommend a few things: 1) Don't play it on the Vita because every glitch I ran into happened on the vita,  including having to replay the whole thing again for one trophy; 2) Threat Neutralized is so much easier with the touch pad than the D Pad. I really did enjoy this game but I have a hard time recommending it if you didn't get it free through PS+ and really love point and click games. The music, the art, and the voice acting were sublime though - especially the Jim Sterling cameo! All in all, I'm glad it's over but I enjoyed (most) of the ride.

Edited by Yen-Pop
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

1Sd0c73b.png

Gravity Rush 2 :platinum: Ultimate Shifter

May 15, 2019

Another long time occupant in my backlog finally done! I'm still plugging away at the DLC, but with all the glitchy-ness I had to take a break so I didn't break myself. I really like these games and I love how different and interesting the art style, music, and movement styles are and all in all I did genuinely enjoy this game. HOWEVER. My two biggest complaints with Gravity Rush 2 are fairly simple: intense controller lag and the needless grind. With the controller lag, at first I thought it was my controllers so I had them replaced thinking that my troubles were coming from older controllers. Nope! Still happening with the new controllers, and not in any other games or on the PS4 menu, which made the game almost completely unplayable and more than once I had to shut off my controller, the game, or even my system just to be able to hold my own in a boss fight. And the grind... I mean, I'm already not a fan of trophies that require you get an insane amount of something, but to get the number of gems needed to fully upgrade Kat, it took several hours and several grinding sessions. It was until those two things, which incidentally both came up towards the end of the game, that I really loved it. But those two bumps kinda spoiled the broth for me, so to say. 

S3fd666.png

Gravity Rush 2 DLC ? Another Story: The Ark of Time - Raven's Choice

May 16, 2019

GAHHHH THE CONTROLLER LAG. I almost let this game suffer the same fate as the first Gravity Rush where I just left the last DLC trophy go unearned because I was just over it by the time I was done, but this time it was personal! The controller lag in the DLC is so real, and maybe it's just my download or my system - it sure as hell isn't the controllers - but good lord the amount of time it took me to get the last trophy "Furious Collector" just because Raven would just fly away and not be able to attack or look where I needed her too. I liked the story and it was a touching wrap up of Raven's Ark (pun not intended) but goodness I was annoyed. I deleted both before even turning the game off. I don't want people to not play it just because of my experience but the lag really soured the whole thing for me.

S9e162c.png

Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin ?

So as a small update, turns out the terrible, awful controller lag I was experiencing in Gravity Rush 2 was not the game but was actually the HDMI router that's used for my VR. Whoops. But on the upside, ayyyy I got a VR! And my first completed VR game is this little gem. I won't lie, it's pretty short - I clocked in at just under 2 hours, and that's with taking a small break about half way through. But it's so enjoyable and charming, I loved every second of it! Psychonauts is definitely required reading, so to say, for this game however I get the impression that instead of this being integral to the story of the upcoming Psychonauts 2 it'll act as more of a knowing nod to people who have played it. I loved it! And needless to say, I've really enjoyed the VR too.

Except the fact it causes controller lag. Ah well, easy fix! 

• 1 month later...

1S1f8535.png

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 :platinum: Time to Put Things Right

July 1, 2019

Scf1b61.pngS615b1c.pngS65337e.png

Scf4800.pngS436d23.pngS50fbe3.png

DLC ? Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 | Marvel's Black Panther

Cloak and Dagger | Runaways | Marvel's Ant-Man and the Wasp

Well June was kind of a thing. A lot more having to be an actual adult and a lot less being able to enjoy little things like playing video games. And while it doesn't look like the terrible adulting is close to being over, especially now that I'm job searching, Lego has been a nice little escape from reality when I got it. I also completed all the DLC, thanks to the Deluxe Edition being on sale in May/June for ten whole dollars ✌️ This also kicks off my submissions to the Gaming By Numbers 2019 Event!

I also was able to successfully complete the Songkran event with the Event Badge and Bonus badge completed, even if I didn't actually complete the whole list of games. Feels good man to have some successes this month, even if they are just video game related ?

4TvsGDn.pngNW2DQAp.png

1Sd7ed62.png

Accounting + :platinum: "ATROPHY"

July 1, 2019

S89d5eb.png

DLC Trickshots

Well that was fast! What a weird, delightful game and honestly if you have a VR I would argue that it's a must play, especially because of how weird and cool it is. I mean, it's Justin Roiland, so you know it's voiced and written extremely well and is perfectly weird and hilarious. And the Trickshot DLC is not only fun and free, but it lends to the weirdness especially when everything stops and announces T-T-T-TRICKSHOOOT. Been awhile since I got two 100%s in one day!

S13eb39.png

Tales of Monkey Island - Chapter 2: Siege of Spinner Cay ?

July 8, 2019

Even though I have the rest of these games on my list for the Bingo Event, I gotta thank Gaming by Numbers for encouraging me to continue with these delightful, bite-sized romps. I kinda wish more of the Tell Tale games were like this, like genuine point-and-click games with replay-ability (missable trophies) rather than having you make choices which all ultimately result in about the same story being told with some differences. That being said, I do still really enjoy those games - between the PS4 and Xbox One I think I've played most of them - but there's something just so great about a Lucas Arts adventure game! I'll be finishing up the rest of the episodes after I finish a couple other games I'm working on, mostly Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Inpatient, and I'm pretty excited to get back to them!

S347a5b.png

In not quite a trophy update but close enough news, I got my hands back on a PS3 that I had started playing Borderlands 2 on 1000 years ago when my boyfriend and I were long distance. We started playing it on his PS3 in a hotel room while snowed in, and at the time I didn't really care about trophies or completion rates, so syncing the trophies we earned wasn't a priority. When he then gave the PS3 to a friend, I thought nothing of it. But then when I started going back through my old games and completing trophy lists, I realized the error of my ways! Well she ended up giving it back, so I got to sync the trophy list and got my four or so trophies back. Nothing ground breaking but it'll be nice to have them out of my trophy adviser and maybe it'll even encourage me to go back and at least get the platinum! 

Edited by Yen-Pop
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

S8ed2d3.png

Here They Lie ?

July 26, 2019

Well it's been a pretty terrible month in my real life. After seven years of being together, my partner decided to call it quits because he's in love with someone else - someone who until this point I considered a good friend of mine. So playing video games has (it goes without saying) not been my main priority. But I decided to give this bad boy a try because I seem to always default to spooky content whenever I'm sad. And it kicks off with a couple breaking up. Neat! And it doesn't get any better from there - with a guide I'd say the whole thing takes between four and five hours but it still feels like a slog with the bull crap pseudo philosophy mashed into every collectible.

It was free and it fit in with the Gaming with Numbers event. Otherwise I really wouldn't recommend it at all. But hey, maybe I just wasn't in the right head space for it.

1Sacea57.png

The Inpatient :platinum: True Patience

July 26, 2019

But hey if all I can stand to consume is scary content, good thing there are so many games with dark themes and horror elements amiright? Especially when the only emotion you can't fake is terror ??? hey-o. On another note though, this game is also not that great. I really, really loved Until Dawn so I really wanted it to be good, but it's honestly like DLC that got released on it's own and made for VR as a sales gimmick. It's certainly not the worse VR cash grab I've seen, but thankfully I only paid a little bit for it. If you love Until Dawn it's cool to get some background and a better understanding of what happened to Blackwood, but at the same time Until Dawn does a great job of fleshing that out on it's own. Either way, it was a nice $10 distraction.

• 2 weeks later...

Sbee31c.png

Tales of Monkey Island - Chapter 3: Lair of the Leviathan 1f4af.png

August 1, 2019

Sfad639.png

Tales of Monkey Island - Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood 1f4af.png

August 1, 2019

Sd1ddee.png

Tales of Monkey Island - Chapter 5: Rise of the Pirate God 1f4af.png

August 3, 2019

So I finally finished up the Tales of Monkey Island games and honestly I'm sad that it's over! The games are just so charming and delightful, that I really wanna play the other Monkey Island games on the PSN. I love Tim Schafer and his type of humor, so it's really strange that I never played them before, especially since I also love point and click games. I highly, highly recommend them! 

• 4 weeks later...

1S3c861b.png

Yesterday Origins :platinum: Triskel

August 27, 2019

So admittedly I bought this game because it was super cheap and because I needed a game that started with Y for Bingo Bonanza and it just so happened to end in 9 in the url, so it also worked for Gaming By Numbers. I didn't really care if it was good, just that it worked for my needs and I spent the better part of August working on the DLC for Ni No Kuni II and was hardcore in a game hole. Imagine my surprise when it was actually a really good story about the occult and a point and click, which is so my jam you wouldn't believe it. I didn't play Yesterday, but now would be really interested in playing it on PC because this game honestly had such a good plot as a sequel/pre-sequel, and it didn't really matter that I hadn't played them because the world building was really meticulous. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised to have enjoyed it!

S606abf.pngS606abf.png

Ni No Kuni II DLC 1f4af.png Adventure Pack | The Lair of the Lost Lord

August 5, 2019 | August 27, 2019

So I've spent a lot of time going back to this wonderful little game. My save file went from 110 hours to about 180 hours ? Maybe it's because I suck or because I kept attempting dungeons and areas I was woefully under-prepared for the areas I kept running headlong into, but I have really loved diving back into this world, and it's made me even more excited for the re-release of the first Ni No Kuni on the PS4! I finished the story of the final DLC, and I may even keep going back to it until I finish it off. If you played the base game and liked it, I can recommend the DLC for sure - it adds more backstory to some of the characters, more context for things, and the dungeons are just fun to run through. 

S3e72c2.png

The Bridge 1f4af.png

September 1, 2019

Well to be honest this game was like a buck fifty on PSN, but when I looked into it to see if it was worth it I was introduced to an award winning indie darling that happens to also be an imaginative puzzle game. Score! I really, really enjoyed it, to the point that I held off looking at any kind of guide for as long as possible because the difficulty was really satisfying. I played it on PS4, but I'm really curious how the controls would have been different on the vita and if the 'tilt' would have been easier to control - admittedly I turned it off on the PS4 just because it seemed like it would orient to each puzzle incorrectly and send me flying off the puzzle. All 'n all, I really loved it! 

(Especially for $1.50)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1S5026d5.png

Crossovers by POWGI (Vita) :platinum: Crossoverachiever

September 14, 2019

I mean... should I be proud? I'm not. But they're great brain teasers for when you just need something to play while you're sitting around waiting for job interviews to happen, and they're cheap for the Vita, so ? Not mad. Not proud, but not mad.

1S6a752f.png

World to the West :platinum: Omniscient

September 14, 2019

I've had this game in my "Pile of Shame" for a couple of years now - back when I used to work in a video game store, I remember when this little gem hit the shelves and I kept hoping someone would buy it so I could find out what it was like, because (just like now really) there wasn't much information online to go on. But it looked so cute, and I love adventure games. Eventually, someone traded a copy in and I bought it right away! And then... Just never played it. Thanks to the Bingo Community Event, I finally forced myself to play it! And man, I wish I hadn't waited but I'm so glad I played it. It's sort of a isometric metroidvania like game where the whole map is at your disposal at all times, it's just contingent on the characters' ability and availability. All the trophies are tied to the collectibles - one trophy per battery collected - and collecting them was actually fun unlike some games looking at you Assassin's Creed II feathers because to get each one was like another mini puzzle. Because of this you could platinum the game without actually ever beating the game, but you'd really be doing yourself a disservice if that shiny platinum is all you're looking for.  

If you like the art style, adventuring games with a lot of puzzles, and amazing music, I can't recommend this game enough. 

S0d0bdf.png

King's Quest (PS4) 1f4af.png

September 20, 2019

I'm okay, I'm okay 

????

I'm not okay

10/10, especially if the Sierra King's Quest games are at all anything you've ever liked or cared about. I loved the puzzling, I loved the riddling, and I loved the story so much. I wish I hadn't waited so long to play this game, but it was such a treasure all the way through. I really did love this, and if the first episode is something you finished when it was free and you see the other episodes come up for sale, or even if you don't, I highly recommend playing the rest!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Yen-Pop said:

S0d0bdf.png

King's Quest (PS4) 1f4af.png

September 20, 2019

I'm okay, I'm okay 

1f62d.png1f62d.png1f62d.png1f62d.png

I'm not okay

10/10, especially if the Sierra King's Quest games are at all anything you've ever liked or cared about. I loved the puzzling, I loved the riddling, and I loved the story so much. I wish I hadn't waited so long to play this game, but it was such a treasure all the way through. I really did love this, and if the first episode is something you finished when it was free and you see the other episodes come up for sale, or even if you don't, I highly recommend playing the rest!

It made me cry too. ?

Part of it is probably nostalgia (most, really), but I think this is the best game I've played in 2019. I'm glad you had a chance to play it. Growing up, I felt like I was the only person who ever even heard of KQ, and I still don't feel it gets the recognition it deserves -- this game included. I just wish it was longer. I would've liked more chapters of Graham as a young man, and the last chapter felt rushed. If they do make a sequel (which I hope they do), I'd like to see them move away from the episodic formula. An open world Daventry with some light RPG elements would be a dream come true.

• Like 1