Favorite "soulslike" game?

SleightRocket

Easily Bloodborne, nothing even comes close to it for me. I have yet to play The Surge (own it but haven't got around to playing it) & Sekiro (Getting it in april. Either of them would have to be a masterpiece to top Bloodborne for me, Sekiro seems like it might be able too but I don't think The Surge stands a chance in hell at taking Number 1.

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 1

When it comes to the actual Souls series, I'm still fondest of Demon's Souls—I love it so much that I've platinumed it three times.

As for similar games by other devs, The Surge is actually really solid, and WAY better than Lords of the Fallen. I haven't played Nioh yet, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 3:50 PM, ExHaseo said:

Bloodborne is the only good one imo. The other games just feel unfair and are only difficult because of intentionally bad and awkward controls. Bloodborne has a little bit of that, but overall there's more than enough control for it to feel fair.

this right here, Souls games have clunky and sluggish controls intentionally and I am not a fan those kind of controls. So for me it would be Bloodborne and Salt and Sanctuary, I do not believe it counts nor do I agree but many players have said that Darksiders 3 is like Dark Souls due to the combat being methodical, but methodical is not the same as clunky and sluggish.

I have played:

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Dark Souls 2

The Surge

Lords of the Fallen

Blood Borune

Salt and Sanctuary

Still would like to try Nioh and Sekiro

Edited by Void
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

About a year ago I bought  Lords of the Fallen bundle for an amazing price. Kept to to one side and eventually tried it and was so gutted that it was crap, Even the bargain price couldn't urge me to push on. It was like the floor was made of tar and the entire thing set in slow motion. Horrible. 

So the only game I can say is Dark Souls itself as its the only one I stuck with. Never again though. The amount of times you have to complete it for 100% completion got right on my moobs. 

But Bloodborn does look gorgeous and seems to have unique story to it. Maybe someday. 

• 2 weeks later...

I played most of the typical Souls-like games, and I love all of them. So it's actually very hard to say wich one is my favorite.
As for the Soul Series itself, I'm gonna go with Dark Souls 1, it was the first one for me, I played it for so many hours on PS3 and PS4, and there will be many more !
Outside the Souls series I'll go with Nioh. That game is just brilliant, the story is awesome, the level design is gorgeous and the combat system is well made. Played it through Way of the Saint or whatever it's called and I still had much fun with it!
And for sidescroll Souls games, definitely Salt and Sanctuary. Strange style at first, and storywise not the best, but interesting nonetheless. Finding new secrets in the levels, new bosses, new shortcuts was always amazing, and the game was definitely not easy! And that music from the endboss - priceless. Also, making you kneel before the final boss in a way, only this game can. Perfect.

What I played:
Dark souls 1 (all DLC)
Dark souls 2 (all DLC)
Dark souls 3 (all DLC)
Demon's Souls
Nioh (all DLC)
Bloodborne (all DLC)
Salt and Sanctuary

I watched my brother play Death's Gambit, Sekiro and Lords of the Fallen
And I'm definitely gonna play
- Code Vein - looking forward to that since the first Trailer !
- The Surge - got it from PS+, and it gets a second game, it can't be that bad then, right?
- Dead Cells - Watched a trailer, looks nice
- Death's Gambit
- Sekiro

• Like 1

I can only judge on what I've played so...

1. Bloodbourne (everything about it was amazing, lore, atmosphere, bosses, game mechanics etc et) 

2. Dark Souls Remastered (same as BB but it's 2nd because there's something that BB that left a lasting feeling of satisfaction of getting the plat)

3. Dark Souls 2 (contrary to what critics and gamers say I'm actually enjoying it and might have to make it 2nd when I finish it)

4. Nioh (just did not grab me)

Yes I'm enjoying DS2 (atm) more then DS1 for reasons that I'm not going to get into now.

I still have to plat DS2 (busy with) and DS3 and then onto Sekiro so I'll change my post again after that. But Nioh will stay last:giggle:

Such a tough question.

First off I can rule out Dark Souls 2 because it's Dark Souls 2. ?

Demons Souls was my first and I was instantly a fan. By Instantly I mean after 3 to 5 hours of running across the same bridge and getting destroyed only to respawn at the beginning.

Dark Souls was amazing once I worked out that heading through the skeleton infested graveyard wasn't the only path to take. :facepalm:  The level design of Dark Souls is brilliant.

Sekiro still deserves to be included in the "Soulsborne" series even though it is quite different but at the same time very similar. ? Sekiro was great but severely lacked in the replayability department.

Bloodborne was incredible. A game that is also very different but similar to Dark Souls. If anything it's more like Sekiro as the player was encouraged to be more offensive than defensive. Surely Bloodborne 2 has to happen in the future.

So obviously the last one left, Dark Souls 3 was my favourite. It didn't have the brilliant level design as Dark Souls or the intense atmosphere that oozed from Bloodborne but what wins it for me is the openness of most of the areas, enemy variety and epic boss battles. 

Previous Souls games a lot of times felt cramped with trying to battle enemies through narrow winding corridors. 

The Nameless King, for me will be remembered as the most epic boss battle of probably any game I've played.

Others such as The Surge, Nioh, Salt and Sanctuary and Lords of the Fallen are all good games but still fall a little short to the true Souls games.

Yep, Souls Fanboy, right here. ?

Edited by reiner-

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

From best to worst:

Dark Souls 2

Bloodborne

Dark Souls 3

Demon's Souls

Nioh

The Surge

Dark Souls 1

Lords of the Fallen

Another Dark Souls 2 fan!

It’s my favourite too, seems an unpopular opinion though!

Not played Salt and Sanctuary? It’s the best Dark Souls that isn’t a Dark Souls

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Another Dark Souls 2 fan!

It’s my favourite too, seems an unpopular opinion though!

Not played Salt and Sanctuary? It’s the best Dark Souls that isn’t a Dark Souls

Yep! It's my favorite, the diversity of builds,  bonfire ascetics, covenant of champions (who other than  making the game harder lets me play unharmed Senator Armstrong style), all those types of magics it had,  or the elements, even letting me go as far as having a poison build, there are so many ways  to enjoy the game, and the scenery is beautiful, I especially liked Drangleic Castle, Majula, Iron Keep, Dragon Aerie and Forest of the Fallen Giants, not to mention the DLCs and the exciting fights they had.  Story also got me hooked, I did not like the characters as much as say Gwyn my favorite of the entire trilogy,  but I really enjoyed the dynamics between Vendrick, Nashandra and Aldia. I did not play Salt and Sanctuary but I'll be sure to buy it after I work on my backlog a tiny bit, I still have to plat Nioh on another account after all.

• Like 1

I was curious about Soulslike games that existed before the FromSoft series and I found a few examples that, as far as I played, I enjoyed more than  modern takes and have some things in common (3rd person camera, weighty sword/medieval weaponry based combat...)

RUNE

Enclave

Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm

Knights of the Temple: Infernal Crusade

Nightmare Creatures I and II

Warriors of Might and Magic

Crusader of Might and Magic

Blade: The Edge of Darkness (also referred as "Severance: Blade of Darkness")

...and there might be more out there, I'll keep searching!

A friend of mine recently got into The Surge and I was a bit hyped when I saw it, but a flood of negative reviews are making me wait for a price drop.

48 minutes ago, Eremoto said:

A friend of mine recently got into The Surge and I was a bit hyped when I saw it, but a flood of negative reviews are making me wait for a price drop.

Here’s my review: Buy The Surge! It’s great! :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, SleightRocket said:

Personally, my favorite is Bloodborne; has the most interesting story line and the combat feels a lot better to me. I like the idea of not being allowed to use a shield, and the idea of parrying with a gun is SO COOL. Chalice dungeons are an amazing addition as well, it felt like there was so much more to the game after I completed it and I still don't get tired of them. What is your opinion?

Bloodborne it is.

If I had to say a non FromSoft one:

Nioh.