Rogue One Writer: Pull EA's Star Wars License!

Bullstomp

All that shit over business as usual decisions:

When EA’s top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Warsproject that’s now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that I’ve heard next-gen consoles will launch. (Might be a bit earlier; might be a bit later. From what I’ve heard, next-gen plans are definitely still in flux.)

https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-world-star-wars-game-1831786371

So a project that was early in development was cancelled in favor of making another game that would release sooner. 

Goodness, you reactionary numb-skulls were all raised on Fox News and TMZ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullstomp said:

I REALLY hope this is the first of many articles with high profile people calling for Disney to pull the Star Wars license from EA. After nearly 6 years with the license and only two lackluster releases I truly hope Disney opens the license up to other developers. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/gary-whitta-rogue-one-disney-ea-star-wars-license/amp/

Thanks for sharing! I do hope other developers and publishers can have a go at the franchise soon. Imagine CD Projekt Red creating an open world rpg with the same quality as Witcher 3. Or Sony sealing the deal on another exclusive (seeing as how they already made it work with Marvel) to kick off the early years of the next generation. The Star Wars franchise and universe has too much potential and too many corners to explore to leave it solely in the hands of EA's neglectful care.

• Like 2

Since EA got the license I've got

Jedi Starfighter, Bounty Hunter, Racer Revenge, and Super Star Wars on PS4

Battlefront (2004) and Battlefront II (2005) on Xbox One

Lego Complete Saga, Lego 3, Force Unleashed, Force Unleashed 2, on 360 when they hit BC

Force Unleashed, Battlefront 2 (2005), Lego 3, BF: Elite Squadron on PSP to toss my physical copies (God I wish Lego SW 2 was digi)

Battlefront (2015) and Battlefront 2 (2017) on PS4.

Oh, I forgot, I also bought a copy of Disney Infinity 3 (and the ANH and TFA sets) for both myself and a friend

They're just the digital ones, so 16 there. I also bought Lego TFA on PS4 AND Vita, so 18 "sales" so far, all of which would be contributing to overall sales and income, this is to say nothing of all the other Star Wars games I've picked up preowned here and there, got a copy of Clone Wars on 360 a few months back, picked up Lego 2 on 360 for 3 bucks a while back was stoked to see it hit BC and popped another 1000GS, all 3 Legos on original DS, Lego 2 on PSP digitally, a non platinum copy of Ep 3 on PS2, TFU on PS2, Lethal Alliance on DS and so fucking on, there's a tonne more, that's not the point, the point is I'm still buying and enjoying the recently released Star Wars games.

Oh, I forgot, I also bought a copy of Disney Infinity 3 (and the ANH and TFA sets) for both myself and a friend

Well, enjoying most of them.

Both of the rebooted Battlefront games are so average and mediocre it's not even funny, and you know what, I could actually forgive Battlefront 2 for being just another shooter in a Star Wars skin if I could at least play *ALL* the content offline, but I can't, I can play dick all of it, and online just does not fucking interest me at all, but whatever. 2 out of 20 is by no means bad, that's a 90% success / enjoyment rate, everyone makes mistakes, it's all good man, 2 out of 20 is absolutely nothing, that's a great record.

Wait.

Wait, there's a pattern.

It seems that I will enjoy just about any Star Wars game I can get my hands on, it seems that most of them are unique enough from their predecessors or well made enough that I can have a right good time playing through them. Those two though, the pattern, maybe it's that series, maybe shooters aren't for me? Nope, wait, BFII 2005 is my equal second favorite game of all time, can't be that. Maybe the new ones are shit then? What's different about these two games to every other Star Wars game I've ever played?

Oh right, they're the only ones made by EA out of all of them. They're also really generic, have nothing unique going for them, lock a tonne of their content behind multiplayer, forced you to buy a ridiculously priced season pass the first time if you wanted to overall have even half a game's worth of content, had that whole thing with microtransactions where they straight out lied and shit all over their userbase, and also come from the company that cancelled multiple promising SW games, is the reason 1313 won't ever happen, and still hasn't given me a new Simpsons game in over a decade. 

I love a good rant. Though shout out to Disney Infinity, and Lego, for ignoring EA's deal and just making their own fucking Star Wars game anyway, really weird, but they are by fucking far the best Star Wars games to come out since Force Unleashed 2. Also Disney Infinity 2 is genuinely great and deserved better.

Addendum:

I actually bought Battlefront 2015 on PS4 on disc, for both myself and a friend. I later bought the digital complete version when it was on super sale, so add 2 more sales for that game. Battlefront 2 2017 I bought on PS4 digitally (preordered actually, as a birthday gift for the previous friend) and that game dropped so low so quick I couldn't have regretted it more, could have bought us both a copy for the same price and had some change but fuck, at least I didn't give them 2 sales. What I did give them though, was me counting as a player on BF 2015 and BF 2017 through EA Access so that's like another half sale as I'd be counted in the overall player base. Those new Battlefront games are just so disappointing it's not even funny. Like when that reboot was announced at EA, I was watching live and I swear, if I wasn't the limp dick piece of shit I am, my erection would have made a hole in my roof. 

Addendum II: 

While watching the Kinda Funny interview with Witta they mentioned The Old Republic, I also bought KOTOR on Android, and on Xbox digitally (and also picked up a disc copy for cheap as well). Funny how that game isn't too bad either, and also isn't an EA one. Also, mini extra, I'll be grabbing Republic Commando and the other BC Xbox games if they ever go on sale too, but right now, I'm happy with my disc copies of most of them.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

All that shit over business as usual decisions

So a project that was early in development was cancelled in favor of making another game that would release sooner.

That's not the point. The problem is that EA obviously don't know what to do with a valuable license like Star Wars. And while it is true that the game wasn't in development that long it was still a redesign with substantial assets from the original design. Furthermore who cancels a project with Amy Henning at the helm and a studio like Visceral Game as the developer in the first place? And that they canceled this new game now is no surprise if you ask me, they simply didn't make enough money! Both Battlefront games weren't received well by fans and critics alike, so it is safe to assume that they weren't as profitable as EA would have hoped they would be and now having to invest in a game that would take years to finish isn't that profitable either. So EA got cold feet again and now they start to chop the license into small pieces and make a bunch of small games in the hopes to earn enough money to pay for the license. I guess they announce a Battlefront game for iOS and Android soon. I mean if Blizzard can do it why not EA, right?!

But it also shows who stupid Disney really was to hand the license to just one company. It would have been way better to make a deal with several studios/publishers. It is safe to say that we would have seen really good games already this way. But that is what's wrong with this business nowadays, it is all about the money, but I guess it is no secret anymore.

And while I am at it, maybe it is time that all these big time publishers start to realize that it is more important to understand the market and not just look at the profit. It isn't that hard, Sony delivers really good games on a regular basis even Ubisoft does, of course they can still do better. But they seem to understand what the fans want and they are willing to take risks. And what is EA is doing? Remaking the same bunch of games every year for more then a decade now, because it is the easy way! And along the way they shut down every franchise that wasn't profitable enough. And now they even don't even come up with any exciting game anymore, instead they shy away from everything that seems to be too risky. And a company like this should be solely in charge of making Star Wars games?! Hell no!

Edited by Durandal
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Durandal said:

The problem is that EA obviously don't know what to do with a valuable license like Star Wars

Is it a valuable license though? Has there ever been a hugely successful Star Wars game?

I guess there is one... Old Republic... An EA game. They won't lose the license as long as Old Republic is still bringing in those subscriber dollars.

Edit - Did a little research and it seems the last Battlefront is one of the highest selling Star Wars game. Also made by EA. Yeah, they're gonna lose the license for sure lol.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

@KingGuy420

There has been I think, but it is more then just the profit aspect. It is about the entertaining aspect too and what the name Star Wars brings to the table for any developer.

As for the games, well there was Knights of the Old Republic (not an EA game) and the Jedi Knight games. Tie Fighter and most of the old Star Wars games and the first Battlefront I suppose. Sure they might not have made a shitload of money like some games these days but that's exactly what I was talking about. Make game for the fans and not for your shareholders!

Maybe I should have said "rich" because Star Wars has so much to offer when it comes to things like characters and the universe itself. And because of that it really boggles the mind that most games never really made a shitload of money so I guess you are right. But I am a gamer and not a shareholder. And maybe it just shows what's wrong with us consumers too, we tend to spend way too much money on shit like Battlefront and Fifa Games while the real gems barely make enough money to pay the rent, so to speak. And the weird thing is that we start to complain about this every time we realize that these companies just drain our wallets with the same crap year after year. But do we stop supporting this businenss? Of course not!

Edited by Durandal
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Durandal said:

Maybe I should have said "rich" because Star Wars has so much to offer when it comes to things like characters and the universe itself.

There's some truth to that. But I don't think EA is the problem. Disney giving EA exclusive rights to the license is the issue. There's no reason EA couldn't do their thing and still allow other devs to take a crack too. That's the side of it I don't understand. To be fair though, Disney has always had issues with video game licensing.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

There's some truth to that. But I don't think EA is the problem. Disney giving EA exclusive rights to the license is the issue. There's no reason EA couldn't do their thing and still allow other devs to take a crack too. That's the side of it I don't understand. To be fair though, Disney has always had issues with video game licensing.

Yeah they have, although I have only limited knowledge of Disneys involvement in the gaming world. Maybe it is because Disney has a different perspective and wants to focus on the family market given their history. And EA has made a lot of money with all their sports licenses, so they probably thought it would be a win win deal for both of them. Oh well, the gaming world seemed so simple back in the 80s when games were made in the garage and we bought them directly from the people who made them. But then again I hardly paid for my games back then. Whoops did I say that out loud?! ?

Edited by Durandal
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

This was the whole point of the thread if you take a look at this sentence in my initial post:

"After nearly 6 years with the license and only two lackluster releases I truly hope Disney opens the license up to other developers."

10 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

This was the whole point of the thread if you take a look at this sentence in my initial post:

"After nearly 6 years with the license and only two lackluster releases I truly hope Disney opens the license up to other developers."

I wouldn't say that's what the whole thread is about. One line out of a wall of text but OK.

And "lackluster" is debatable. Battlefront 1 was the highest selling Star Wars game and Battlefront 2 did well despite the hate too. Not to mention Old Republic is one of the more successful MMO's, and the multiple mobile games all perform incredibly well. Disney just cares about the numbers. They couldn't care less what average Joe gamer wants lol.

Edited by KingGuy420

No. Wait until Respawn releases the Star Wars game they've been working on, then you can take the license away.

Why is this an issue anyways? Disney doesn't know how to handle video game licenses, they always sell them then think they can open their own studio and make their own games. A few years later, it's fire everyone and sell the rights out again.

I'm all for this, both battlefront games have been average at best and EA has proven they just want that microtransaction/lootbox money more then making a competent game. Though i blame Disney for giving it to them in the 1st place

• Like 1