Rogue One Writer: Pull EA's Star Wars License!

Bullstomp

5 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

Battlefront 1 had significant backlash due to DLC. It did well because its Star Wars, not because it was an awesome game.

This, right here. People don't seem to realize how powerful brand recognition is. Even before Disney you could pretty much put Star Wars on anything and people were more than willing to buy it. If you took out all the stuff in Battlefront that made it Star Wars and took out the name it would basically just be another Battlefield game.

However we should also remember when the first game came out, that being a month before The Force Awakens showed in theaters when Star Wars was pretty much everywhere and there was so much buzz about it where it was basically impossible to avoid any discussion over it. Before and after The Force Awakens along with Rogue One there was this revived love of Star Wars until Battlefront II happened with the controversies and then The Last Jedi subverting expectations into the ground to where it turned away a lot of Star Wars fans from the franchise altogether.

It was kind of similar in the 90's and whenever the prequels came out. Before Phantom Menace you still had some quality games like X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire etc. and when the prequel movies were out, despite whether or not people thought they were good or bad, you still had gems like KOTOR, Jedi Knight, the original Battlefronts, even the Lego Star Wars games. Whereas now you only have an MMO that's pretty "meh" overall and two Battlefield games that hardly anyone plays anymore.

But I will go ahead and say that I don't think EA is the first to squander the game license. If anything it was LucasArts themselves since it seemed some time after the prequels there was this drought of good Star Wars games. You had some good things like Empire at War and a couple Lego games as well as The Force Unleashed which was okay overall however the second one really didn't do well despite the fact they clearly did intend a sequel for it. And then instead of Battlefront 3 which seemed promising we got this instead.

In regards to The Old Republic I feel like people either forget or misremember how well that game actually did. It had a massive hype train going for it the day it released the Deceived trailer but when the game finally came out it quickly started falling out and the playerbase leaving after a few weeks to the point where people started calling it TORtanic. It went free-to-play in less than a year and if it weren't for that and the fact they do take time to update it, it would have more than likely died out after it went free-to-play. Hell I sometimes forget it's even active still until I see a video recommended to me on it.

But yeah, the basic gist of what I'm getting at is yes the video game license is squandered and the only thing I can't really say for sure is if it's EA or Disney's fault. You think EA would be taking advantage of a practical money printer and make as much games and projects as they can, unless they really thought they could just ride off of two games with microtransactions and lootboxes. The only other thing might be that Disney have to approve of what they want to do and probably don't want them to make anything that would interfere with the movies and whatever else they are trying to make. But it's a two-sides of the same coin sort of issue if you ask me, and so it doesn't really make much of a difference whose fault it is either way.

• Like 2

Lootboxes should GTFO of here.  I see them as a form of gambling when you pay for something that's random.  If you don't get what you want, you buy another LB.  Repeat as necessary.

The ESRB doesn't see LBs as gambling.  What the hell are they smoking?  How do we know loot boxes aren't rigged to give out "that one item" only once every few hundred times?

7 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

We shall see what happens but I for one would love to see another publisher get a shot, like CD Projekt Red, dare I say, FROM software. 

Exactly that.  CDPR would do something great I'm sure.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, kidson2004 said:

I'm all for Disney pulling the game from EA. The only Star Wars game I've ever enjoyed was The Force Unleashed. Haven't played any other Star Wars games since as they don't appeal to me or was rushed, broken, etc. 

Shadows of the Empire, Episode 1: Racer and Rogue Squadron for the N64 are all awesome games as well :)

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Shadows of the Empire, Episode 1: Racer and Rogue Squadron for the N64 are all awesome games as well :)

But that was when Lucas Arts still existed. They made some amazing Star Wars games. (X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces & Jedi Knight)

27 minutes ago, soniq said:

But that was when Lucas Arts still existed. They made some amazing Star Wars games. (X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces & Jedi Knight)

I know, I am just saying they were great Star Wars games :) 

7 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

What the hell was Disney thinking?

That they could make a lot of money. I mean it is the same thing they are thinking releasing 4 marvel films a year and a Star Wars movie every year.

58 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I know, I am just saying they were great Star Wars games :)

Maybe it had to to with Star Wars not being as ubiquitous as it is today. To me it feels like the shitty Star Wars games started as soon as A Phantom Menace came out and they released that awful movie game.

8 hours ago, soniq said:

Maybe it had to to with Star Wars not being as ubiquitous as it is today. To me it feels like the shitty Star Wars games started as soon as A Phantom Menace came out and they released that awful movie game.

But Rogue Squadron and Episode 1 Racer both came out after PM and those were both great :)

13 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

But Rogue Squadron and Episode 1 Racer both came out after PM and those were both great :)

Never really played Ep 1 Racer except for the demo on PC, but Rogue Squadron came out a few months before Ep 1. I think it was the last game of that era of classic Star Wars games.

15 minutes ago, soniq said:

Never really played Ep 1 Racer except for the demo on PC, but Rogue Squadron came out a few months before Ep 1. I think it was the last game of that era of classic Star Wars games.

Oh was it before? There was a Naboo fighter in it so I thought it came out afterwards (it was an unlockable in the game...remember games that used to have stuff unlock instead of just DLC)

I dunno, I think EA did just enough to "fix" BF 2 after Disney made them, that they are still in Disney's good graces. And as @Super-Fly Spider-Guy said, somehow we got LEGO Star Wars TFA and Disney Infinity 3 after the Disney/EA deal. This is what LucasArts was for, years ago, making exclusive SW games. From Disney's perspective, an exclusive EA deal makes sense, but maybe now they'll take the effort to accept pitches from various developers.

I would welcome the change but I think Disney is fine for EA to keep pumping out games that rake in profit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 0:23 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

I definitely remember those games. Had a lot of fun playing them with my old friend when we used to have sleep ins.

3 hours ago, HellcoreFire said:

A Star Wars game à la Uncharted might have pulled me in the Star Wars universe. Maybe they could give it to Naughty Dog, they need a new project since The Last Of Us Part 2 is probably almost finished.

I agree, this is a huge opportunity missed.  God of War and Spider Man proved single player narrative games can still rake in cash but EA thinks they are passe.

30 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

I agree, this is a huge opportunity missed.  God of War and Spider Man proved single player narrative games can still rake in cash but EA thinks they are passe.

This whole thread is an opinion piece, which is conjecture of the business practices of EA and the success of single player only games. While I love EA games and hate their business practices this whole thread is pointless since Mickey Mouse disagrees with you and that agreement is going nowhere.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/disney-video-game-star-wars-ea-1203129606/

On 1/20/2019 at 6:25 AM, KingGuy420 said:

I'm a pretty firm believer that Rogue One was a massively overhyped turd. So for some odd reason, the writers opinion on the state of the franchise isn't particularly high on my list of things I care about lol.

At least I got a little enjoyment out of EA's games. More than I can say for Rogue One.

While I didn't get a lick of enjoyment out of EA's titles, Rogue One was indeed a steaming pile.

That being said, I like the idea of Disney threatening to pull some licenses. I think companies get lazy when they have virtually perpetual licensing deals. I don't think Star Wars has been helped one whit by the EA titles, so it makes sense to say, "Put up or shut up" if you're Disney.

2 hours ago, ClockWorkPhantom said:

This whole thread is an opinion piece, which is conjecture of the business practices of EA and the success of single player only games. While I love EA games and hate their business practices this whole thread is pointless since Mickey Mouse disagrees with you and that agreement is going nowhere.

There's no question that Disney is bad at video games, and should stay far away. That doesn't mean that other companies can't do (and do significantly better) what EA is doing.

Edited by starcrunch061

2 hours ago, ClockWorkPhantom said:

Disney is funny because they have done an exceptional job with Marvel properties since they acquired them. Movies, video games, merchandising . . .up until now.

However Star Wars is completely different. Each movie has made progressively less money, unsold merchandise helped Toys R Us crash and the video games, both of them, have had lukewarm receptions at best.

I think the problem is Kathleen Kennedy,  she has no idea what she's doing. Yes, its my opinion but the facts I mentioned support it.

Edited by Bullstomp

55 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

However Star Wars is completely different. Each movie has made progressively less money, unsold merchandise helped Toys R Us crash and the video games, both of them, have had lukewarm receptions at best.

I think the problem is Kathleen Kennedy,  she has no idea what she's doing. Yes, its my opinion but the facts I mentioned support it.

I think there is some truth to this, but honestly, I also think they were blindsided by the strange plot decisions in episode VIII, as well as the general bad vibe of Solo. That being said, Disney seemed to have a clear goal to protect their Mary Poppins property (which ultimately didn't work out as well as they hoped), so part of Solo's problem might have been Disney's lukewarm attitude towards it.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 0:29 AM, Spaz said:

I definitely remember those games. Had a lot of fun playing them with my old friend when we used to have sleep ins.

Yeah they were great. A sad but kind of funny story, I was actually nervous about playing Shadow of the Empire because it would have been the first 3D game I would have played and that jump in dimension actually worried my 12 year old self :P

On 2/9/2019 at 9:53 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

Yeah they were great. A sad but kind of funny story, I was actually nervous about playing Shadow of the Empire because it would have been the first 3D game I would have played and that jump in dimension actually worried my 12 year old self :P

The game was difficult as fuck if you played on higher difficulties.

Looking back, the train level was a nightmare to get through, then there was that boss that was a pain for me because he kept moving all over the place.

I loved the old movie trilogy, so the game made me appreciate the lore that much more.