Favorite Video game lore

Beyondthegrave07

I'm not asking what is your favorite video game story or series of stories, but instead what is your favorite backstory or lore in a video game? 

Personally, I'm finding the lore in Nier Automata very interesting. I'm still making my way through the story, but what really interests me so far is the robots, the androids, and their idiosyncrasies. I wonder if all my questions on the backstory of the aliens taking over Earth will be solved by the end of the game, but we'll see.

Legend of Zelda also has some interesting lore as well with the multiple time lines created from the Ocarina of Time and how each timeline turns out. One where Link defeats Ganon as a kid, one where he defeats Ganon as a teenager/adult, and one where he's killed or defeated by Ganon. Each one leading to new games and new aesthetics in the series. The lore is a little more subtle than others, but it's definitely present in each of the games.

I used to religiously follow the Resistance: Fall of Man lore until the third game came out and just sort of ended everything without really explaining much. Some of Halo's lore is also pretty neat depending on what point you're looking into.

Otherwise the only other lore that keeps me interested still is Metal Gear Solid and pre-Fallout 4 Fallout. And I guess technically it counts since there's some video games based on it, but the Warhammer 40,000 lore is pretty good.

54 minutes ago, NightRusticDawn said:

<video snip>

Nothing comes close.

Are you trying to subtly manipulate me into doing The Mario?

Spoiler

Because I'll do it.

• Like 1

When it comes to games, currently I'd have to go with Final Fantasy XII. I always liked the political atmosphere in the game and the bestiary entries + sage knowledge provided great world-building, in my opinion. On my first several playthroughs, it kept me wanting to read the entries every time I defeat a new enemy or unlocked its sage knowledge. Would have been better if we could have explored ALL of Ivalice, though.

• Like 1

The Assasins Creed series altough i am not a fan of stealthy games but i like this fact of a war in the shadows between two factions, one for dominating Earth and enslavering humanity, the other to mantain her free with the conflict spanning in all of world history.

Edited by Vampirehunter145
Correcting words.

Without a doubt Kingdom Hearts! Although the story was complex, I really liked the idea of Heartless, Nobodies and Organisation XIII, Unversed and the dream eaters. It was also interesting how the characters are linked via these things, like Namine being Kairi's nobody and Roxas being Sora's. My favourite KH was in terms of story was Birth By Sleep followed by KH2. 

Another game was Tales of Xillia 2. I liked the idea of the parallel world and with it having an alternate version of each of the characters, like Mila and Muze that Ludgar had to destroy. Also Victor, Ludgar and Elle and how they were linked was really interesting as well. It was also fun to make choices throughout the game.

Final Fantasy X had my favourite FF Lore. The whole idea of summoners and their pilgrimage, Aeons and temples, Sin being reborn every 2 years, Spira being the spiral of death and how people can technically "live" even though they are dead until a Summoner "sends" them was all pretty cool. It's the game that got me into FF and was my first as well. The conflict between the party, Yevon, Seymour and Al Bhed were all reminiscent of war and religious hatred in real life.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 7:06 AM, Deluziion90 said:

Can't think of a favorite for now but first thing that came into my mind is Bloodborne.

That game has some serious lore which you have to discover for yourself.

Can't agree more, although I don't mind listening to people like VaatiVidya presenting their interpretations of the story.

Another lore which I enjoyed immensely was in The Witcher series, but I may be partial here as, for one, I am Polish, and also I was familiar with the books (well, at least some of them).

• Like 2