Best single player offline completion games

DaveMcDamage

Hi everyone,

A few months back I started a new profile which would be based on single player only games. Not trophy boosting, no server worries, just single player games which I would eventually 100% complete and platinum. 

Played some awesome games so far and recently went through the Yakuza trilogy (Zero, Kiwami and Kiwami2).

So could you guys recommend some awesome single player only games. Either disc based or digital is fine just as long as I can 100% them on my own. I've played tonnes of games over the years so not missing out by having a specific profile like this if thats what you think, and I still have my other profile for online gaming with pals. 

There will be the obvious choices which will get named a few times and thats fine, because that shows what awesome games they are. Also. I'm not doing this for quick and easy to build up some kind of competitive profile. Its just a single player only profile which gives me awesome games to play. 

A few I want to consider. 

Vampyr. Is this any good? I know it has a select following and people rave about the story but dislike the combat mechanics. Should this game be bought when its on sale rather than paying full whack?

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2. These were nice games back on orginal release and I can't remember most of what went on. But does a splash of paint for remastered visuals mean anything if the game feels old and clunky to play?

Are there any racing games (more towards realistic vehicles rather than goofy cartoon stuff)? 

Wish they made Elite single player only completion as that would have been amazing. Top game but has online crap that I can't be bothered with. 

Anyhoo. Suggestions please. 

• Like 3

Many thanks for the recommendations mate. Really appreciate it. 

Yes I've only got a PS4 these days. 

Nice to hear they removed that online trophy for Darksiders 2. Might indeed give those two games a shit at a later day. Played them to death back on PS3 and Xbox 360. Amazing games though. 

Not played an Assassins Creed game since A2. Ubisoft have not blown my socks off with a game in years, but a lot of people have good things to say about Origins. 

Its a shame the remasters of the Tomb Raider series stuck with online trophies, especially as it seems the third game has only SP completion. Very odd. 

Even though I've never played any of the Persona games, is Persona 5 worth playing even though I would be obviously late to the franchise?

Mass Effect trilogy

NieR and NieR: Automata (Still recommend)

Okami HD

God of War 1, 2, 3, Newest God of War

Samurai Warriors 4

Tales of Berseria

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (If you enjoyed Yakuza then you'll enjoy this)

Devil May Cry 1-4 and the DmC reboot

Bayonetta

Batman: Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Arkham Knight.

Final Fantasy VII

Bully

Shenmue I and II

Rebel Galaxy

Ni no Kuni I and II

Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Fallout 4

Edit: Oh, only PS4.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 5:33 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Many thanks for the recommendations mate. Really appreciate it. 

Yes I've only got a PS4 these days. 

Nice to hear they removed that online trophy for Darksiders 2. Might indeed give those two games a shit at a later day. Played them to death back on PS3 and Xbox 360. Amazing games though. 

Not played an Assassins Creed game since A2. Ubisoft have not blown my socks off with a game in years, but a lot of people have good things to say about Origins. 

Its a shame the remasters of the Tomb Raider series stuck with online trophies, especially as it seems the third game has only SP completion. Very odd. 

Even though I've never played any of the Persona games, is Persona 5 worth playing even though I would be obviously late to the franchise?

If you only have a PS4 then Dragon Age: Inquisition is a 50/50. It keys off of an ending in Dragon Age II's dlc, but I wasn't aware of it until I looked it up after a specific character statement. It does have some things from the previous 2 games but overall it's its own story. Still a great single player experience to me and the DLCs add a lot of extra content. The GOTY edition goes on sale from time to time for $10 digitally which is why it's one of the very rare instances I chose it over physical. 

As for AC Origins and Odyssey. They are completely different from the games before them and galaxies apart from what AC2 is like. Origins, in my opinion, is the better game and it's DLC Curse of the Pharaohs is what I believe a DLC should be.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is still worth the go. It has its own story and only barely references the game before it I believe. However, I have no idea if they plan on sneaking some sort of online trophy in in the future so waiting might be best if you're looking for only offline SP/100% games.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

You asked about Vampyr, which is a yes from me. I had no real problems with the combat. Shouldn't be too pricey now.

I'm personally a big fan of the Quantic Dream games. I know that they have their detractors, and even I'll admit that the writing can be a little cringe, but they're all worth it. Detroit: Become Human is easily their best. Haven't played Heavy Rain since it came out, so I forget what it was really like. Beyond: Two Souls is good, but is probably their weakest game, and it does have a trophy for completing it in co-op mode, but it's structured in such a way that you can do it easily by yourself, but you still need two controllers.

Edited by communistwookiee

1 hour ago, Redgrave said:

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (If you enjoyed Yakuza then you'll enjoy this)

I never heard of this game but I just looked it up and that looks awesome! Added to wishlist ?.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, keep them coming as I will decide which game to buy tomorrow as well as use this thread for future reference, as can others no doubt. 

I do own Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood. Not played them in a while but still not got the urge to go through them again, though saying that I've not played Old Blood to this day. 

Dragon Age Inquisition. Yeah it was decent and certainly not the worst of the series, but personally feel its only worthy of a single playthrough. Had the 100% on previous profile, doubt I will do it again though. 

I thought the new Hitman games contained online trophies? Looking forward to playing Absolution again, but never at its current price. Don't know what the hell they were thinking. 

As for Tomb Raider possibly getting online trophies. This is indeed a problem. I remember on my previous profiles I had the 100% on GTAV and all online trophies, but then 3-4 years later they go and decide to add the Doomsday trophies which were aimed at getting gamers to buy shark cards in order to afford retries. Very dirty and also wrecked two completion profiles. 

I was going to get Thronebreaker or whatever the new Witcher game spin-off is called. Glad I looked into it as it seems on all formats its badly broken. Even at its current sale price no game is worth paying for if its broken. 

I'd say Vasmpyr has a 50/50 for love and hate for the games between fans, so at a sale price its worth a chance. Cheers for the info, Wookie. 

Fist of the North Star even gets mixed opinions from hard core fans of the show, and the gameplay does look dated in places. Could be worth a risk when it goes for a great sale price though. Cheers. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

21 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

I never heard of this game but I just looked it up and that looks awesome! Added to wishlist 1f601.png.

Awesome, hope you like it :) It might not be a full Yakuza game but it's definitely worth it if you like the series.

12 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I thought the new Hitman games contained online trophies? Looking forward to playing Absolution again, but never at its current price. Don't know what the hell they were thinking. 

Fist of the North Star even gets mixed opinions from hard core fans of the show, and the gameplay does look dated in places. Could be worth a risk when it goes for a great sale price though. Cheers. 

For Hitman I know Hitman 2 has the multi-player mode but I'm not sure if there's actually any trophies for it.

Yeah, North Star from what I understand does take a lot of liberties but to be fair, it's a manga series that went on for several years so it would be hard to condense all of that into a game without making it really bloated or having to make multiple sequels. I still found it to be a pretty enjoyable game overall apart from the grind but if you can do Yakuza grinds then North Star is doable.

Gameplay I'm not sure what you mean by dated, but compared to Yakuza 6 there's about as much if not slightly more side stuff to do and the combat is a bit more fleshed out.

40 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Never listen to hardcore fans. Overly critical and generally never give anything close to a fair review. I've never played a Yakuza game or read the FotNS series so I can't give any opinions on it. But I know manga/anime fans and they can be...almost as bad as gamers when it comes to their tastes.

• Like 1

ill just throw out most, if not all, of what i have that is single player only. i recommend them all, they're great fun. do you care about DLC? some of these might have DLC trophies. i only own a PS4, i played all these games on their PS4 releases or through PSNow on my PS4.

Darksiders 1, 2, and 3. little bit of zelda, little bit of GoW, little bit of Souls, all round a great series, play the remastered versions of 1 and 2, 3 is pretty new.

God of War games, for obvious reasons. classic game series. (ascension technically has one trophy linked to its multiplayer mode, but all you have to do is complete the tutorial which can be done solo)

Infamous 1, 2, and Second Son.  really fun open world series with a great story and really fun gameplay. (2 has trophies linked to user generated missions, but they can be done solo as well)

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian. cannot recommend these enough, incredible and beautiful games all made by my favorite game devs of all time. Shadow of the Colossus is the best of the 3 by far.

Dishonored 1 and 2. Stealth based gameplay is one of my favorites, and these games do it right. the same developer also made...

Prey. i was completely surprised by how good this game was. absolutely amazing sci fi story, with about a billion different ways to do everything.

Horizon Zero Dawn. another impressive new IP that emerged. the creature design in this game really wins it for me, so creative and cool.

Kingdom Hearts. all of it. the series holds a special place in my heart, but i truly believe they are great games even without the nostalgia.

the developer Telltale games m̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ made great visual-novel style games, if you're into that choose-your-own-adventure stuff. ive played Game of Thrones, Tales From the Borderlands, and Walking Dead

South Park: The Stick of Truth and Fractured But Whole. if you like south parks brand of humor anyway. if not, then maybe avoid these lol

Spider-Man. what more needs to be said? Spidey has always been the best superhero to play in video games.

The Order: 1886. VERY short but decent. can be found cheap.

Far Cry Primal. animal companions in this are fun. never played other FC games but this caveman one is good

Resident Evil 7. if you like horror games, this a new take on a classic series.

Nioh. guide says some of the trophies require an internet connection, but i think its just so the game can update the missions that change.

Soulsborne series. these games have multiplayer functions kinda laced through them, so if you want to avoid them i understand. pretty sure you can play in offline mode and plat them though. correct me if im wrong.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst. excellent parkour gameplay. very smooth, and decent graphics. (again, user generated content trophies.)

Asura's Wrath. very over the top anime style storytelling. heavy action. super fun.

the recent remasters of classic ps1 and ps2 titles are also great choices. personally i picked up the Jak and Daxter series and the Spyro trilogy.

wow. uhhh, sorry. that turned into a lot.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 4

Some games that I’ve platinumed that were great single experiences are:

-Bloodborne

-Nioh

-Nier: Automata

-God of War

-Infamous: Second Son

-Batman: Arkham Series

-Ratchet and Clank Series

-Salt and Sanctuary

-Uncharted series (UC4 has online trophies, but I don’t think the remasters do)

-Guacamelee

-Monster Hunter: World (has easy online trophies and it’s more enjoyable/easier in multiplayer imo)

-The Last Guardian

-Gravity Rush

-Bioshock: Infinite

Hope you have fun on whatever you play next!

• Like 1

God of War... Sheesh! When the Xmas sales were on I had a £15 psn voucher and could have got GoW for £10 with the sale price that was on. But I really wanted to finish the Yakuza series so got Kiwami 2. Then 4 days later it went half price in the sale..... GAH!

Spider-man is definitely on the radar as well, but I'm hoping for a sale price again with all the dlc, or maybe they will do a complete version on disc.

Batman. When I got the 100% on Arkham City it pretty much broke something inside me. All the combat and campaign rooms wrecked me and to this day I cannot go near the Arkham Knight game. Haha.

Nioh is also on the radar and have a pal who is going through it at the moment. 

Well I'm off to the shop soon so I will see what game I can get.

Cheers for all the help everyone and keep the suggestions coming. 

Just got back from the shops and managed to sell something at CEX and then buy Vampyr from GAME which ended up only costing me £3 for the new game. For that price, faults with any game can be forgiven so hopefully get to enjoy this. 

Like I said though keep the suggestions coming, and don't worry about posting the same suggestions as others as that only shows how awesome the games are. When I get a moment later I shall edit the first post with all the games you guys have been suggesting.

Remember. Its all about the awesome single player experience for 100% offline completion (though dlc is allowed as long as its only digital but sp only), not so much the 2nd crappy easy plat stuff just for the sake of a platinum.

Will definitely go through the BioShock and Uncharted trilogies again at some point. Only thing putting me off the Uncharted games is how many frikkin times it wants you to complete the same game over and over. 

• Like 1

It's too bad you've ruled out games with online trophies because Red Dead Redemption 2 is a must play. It's second only to The Witcher III in terms of being the best game on PS4.

All of these games are tons of fun, have good stories and aren't too taxing to plat:

Marvel's Spider-Man

Dishonoured Definitive Edition

Dishonoured 2

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Assassin's Creed Origins

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Infamous Second Son

Far Cry 3 Classic Edition

Detriot Become Human

South Park: Stick of Truth

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Canis Canem Edit (Bully)

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feral said:

It's too bad you've ruled out games with online trophies because Red Dead Redemption 2 is a must play. It's second only to The Witcher III in terms of being the best game on PS4.

All of these games are tons of fun, have good stories and aren't too taxing to plat:

Marvel's Spider-Man

Dishonoured Definitive Edition

Dishonoured 2

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Assassin's Creed Origins

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Infamous Second Son

Far Cry 3 Classic Edition

Detriot Become Human

South Park: Stick of Truth

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Canis Canem Edit (Bully)

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

I did 100% Dishonoured back on 360 and will never go for it ever again lol. That dlc which had you jumping all over was a real stress fest. Great story experience though. Might try the sequel some day. 

As for ruling out MP trophies. Its mostly MP trophies which destroy games for me. Doing the same crap a thousand times just for the sake of it, and by the time I'd get the plat there would be no self-reward, just confusion as to why the hell I ever attempted it in the first place. I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out by not playing Red Dead, and since GTAO and its success with shark cards, all Rockstar Games can do now is build around an economy. Gets very tiresome doing it legit, and buying your way with real money is just a no go for me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I did 100% Dishonoured back on 360 and will never go for it ever again lol. That dlc which had you jumping all over was a real stress fest. Great story experience though. Might try the sequel some day. 

As for ruling out MP trophies. Its mostly MP trophies which destroy games for me. Doing the same crap a thousand times just for the sake of it, and by the time I'd get the plat there would be no self-reward, just confusion as to why the hell I ever attempted it in the first place. I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out by not playing Red Dead, and since GTAO and its success with shark cards, all Rockstar Games can do now is build around an economy. Gets very tiresome doing it legit, and buying your way with real money is just a no go for me. 

Lol fair enough. Yeah the DLC is a bitch. Fortunately the sequel doesn't have any DLC other than the standalone.

100% agree with you, MP trophies are massive pain in the arse and MP is not all that interesting in general. It's worth playing RDR2 for the singleplayer experience. Well mostly the stuff you can buy is clothes, weapons and shit for the camp but yeah spending real money on that is bloody stupid.

• Like 1