Have you ever played a game where, to this day, a certain music or sound effect still scares you or makes you feel nervous?

IceSoul21

Let's think about it...

I remember being so unsettled from hearing those screeching vocals in the background in Majora's Mask, and the whole tribal feeling of this soundtrack (and the temple as a whole) didn't help either. I was genuinely scared when I playing this game for the first time.

This also comes to mind. Max Payne is the last game in the wolrd you would think of when considering horror games.
With the exception of the nightmare sections. Those are utterly frightening.
Christ, the whole levels are terrifying, playing as Max exploring those corridors covered in bloods and... and that baby crying still haunts me...

Although not really a scary track on its own, this particular soundtrack of Tomb Raider The Last Revelation will always be connected to one of the most frightening experience I had as kid playing the series. Facing a nearly immortal, ancient Egyptian minotaur-like god is something that I'd never forget. Especially if the aforementioned runs faster than you and is also equipped with a giant hammer that could hit you even while climbing the only ladder that is the only exit of the level... you know, fun stuff. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 11:53 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

I sure wouldn't mind all of the Serious Sam games brought over to PS4.  I was not too pleased with the framerate on the PS3 version of Serious Sam 3, but PS4 should be able to handle that with no probs. It's a damn good series.

That'd be nice. That way me & people who never played it might be able to do so. 

On 6/3/2019 at 1:38 AM, Vizard-Ichigo-- said:

Dead Space.... all of it.

I know what you mean. The scream of those exploding Necromorphs still scares and makes me nevrous everytime I hear it.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, EmaNGR94 said:

Let's think about it...

I remember being so unsettled from hearing those screeching vocals in the background in Majora's Mask, and the whole tribal feeling of this soundtrack (and the temple as a whole) didn't help either. I was genuinely scared when I playing this game for the first time.

This also comes to mind. Max Payne is the last game in the wolrd you would think of when considering horror games.
With the exception of the nightmare sections. Those are utterly frightening.
Christ, the whole levels are terrifying, playing as Max exploring those corridors covered in bloods and... and that baby crying still haunts me...

Although not really a scary track on its own, this particular soundtrack of Tomb Raider The Last Revelation will always be connected to one of the most frightening experience I had as kid playing the series. Facing a nearly immortal, ancient Egyptian minotaur-like god is something that I'd never forget. Especially if the aforementioned runs faster than you and is also equipped with a giant hammer that could hit you even while climbing the only ladder that is the only exit of the level... you know, fun stuff. 

Seems Majora's Mask is the most scary game in the Zelda franchise. I actually liked the music, but the screeching and tribal sounds makes it a theme that can make you nervous. Regarding Max Payne, if a baby appears in any game, then it's most likely that something messed up or scary happened/will happen.

And regarding Tomb Raider, yeah, fun stuff indeed

This here is one of the earliest scares that come to mind:

I only saw the english version years later. This is the one I saw as a child:

No matter which version, this will probaby have any child be on edge, especially since getting through the level was already hard enough even without shitting your pants. Hearing the sounds and the soundtrack made me feel a bit uneasy, most likely because I remembered what a hard time I had with this level and Monster Ock making me nervous as hell.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:13 AM, Nighcisama said:

This here is one of the earliest scares that come to mind:

I only saw the english version years later. This is the one I saw as a child:

No matter which version, this will probaby have any child be on edge, especially since getting through the level was already hard enough even without shitting your pants. Hearing the sounds and the soundtrack made me feel a bit uneasy, most likely because I remembered what a hard time I had with this level and Monster Ock making me nervous as hell.

A chasing sequence makes you feel nervous/on edge most of the time 

• 1 month later...
On 29/4/2019 at 6:40 PM, Asvinia said:

The noise Ecco the Dolphin made whenever he took damage. *EEEERRRKKKK EEEEEERRRRRRKKKK* Makes me jump even now and I never have completed it because of that.

I remember having played a little bit of the game when I was little, but I don't remember the noise. Though I don't think I'd like to listen to it ?

10 hours ago, IceSoul21 said:

Thanks, I guess...

Wait, is that creature an alien? :o 

Yeah, the whole story/lore of Ecco is one huge trip. Find space crystals to repair a time machine left by the ancient Atlanteans to travel back in time, learn a song, travel to the future again and and kill aliens

• Like 1

There's a little sound before the change of music in Dragon's Dogma  while you play the Dark Arisen DLC, the sound you hear when a tough enemy spawns suddenly in the same room you are. The sound is accompained with darknest effect on the screen just before the dramatic music starts, it does not really sacred me but everytime I heard that I felt the presion of an upcoming battle (specially when is the second time in a row you hear in the same fight?).

The Bottom of the Well is filled with medieval torture devices, poisonous acid, rotting corpses and the Dead Hand.  I do not like this music playing when I'm in such a dark place trying to figure out my way to navigate. (I was young too) D:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 11:10 AM, Asvinia said:

Yeah, the whole story/lore of Ecco is one huge trip. Find space crystals to repair a time machine left by the ancient Atlanteans to travel back in time, learn a song, travel to the future again and and kill aliens

What? That sounds awesome. Who could have said that a game in which you control a Dolphin'd have this type of story.

On 7/5/2019 at 11:47 AM, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

There's a little sound before the change of music in Dragon's Dogma  while you play the Dark Arisen DLC, the sound you hear when a tough enemy spawns suddenly in the same room you are. The sound is accompained with darknest effect on the screen just before the dramatic music starts, it does not really sacred me but everytime I heard that I felt the presion of an upcoming battle (specially when is the second time in a row you hear in the same fight1f612.png).

Hmm, I've the game but haven't played it that much. I'll try to pay attention to it when I get back into playing the game & its DLC.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:16 AM, cocoboku said:

The Bottom of the Well is filled with medieval torture devices, poisonous acid, rotting corpses and the Dead Hand.  I do not like this music playing when I'm in such a dark place trying to figure out my way to navigate. (I was young too) D:

I understand the feeling. That's not a place you'd want to go to, even if it's needed to keep on progressing through the game

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/5/2019 at 2:07 AM, Jamescush147 said:

THIS GAME!!!!! 1f61d.png

Still not finished my Hard run because I never want to leave the locker. 1f627.png

It's kinda funny seeing how this game made so many people feel so nervous xD. Though, I still haven't played it. It's in my list, but I'm in no rush to get it 

I would have to say the clickers from Last of Us. I played the game until 6 am one night because the story sucked me in. I could not for the life of me sleep properly without hearing those ghastly noises echoing in my head. For weeks I swear I could hear clickers in the distance and it freaked me out a bit. To this day I cannot continue the game not even for the sake of trophies ?

On 12/6/2019 at 9:02 AM, Emiinah said:

I would have to say the clickers from Last of Us. I played the game until 6 am one night because the story sucked me in. I could not for the life of me sleep properly without hearing those ghastly noises echoing in my head. For weeks I swear I could hear clickers in the distance and it freaked me out a bit. To this day I cannot continue the game not even for the sake of trophies 1f630.png

I remember feeling really nervous whenever a Clicker appeared in the game. Those noises are nightmare fuel D:

Edited by IceSoul21
  • Like 1

On 14/6/2019 at 6:33 PM, BlazikieronUS said:

The sound of Bacchus belching in Hand of the Gods

I know there's a game called God Hand (I think) for the PS2.  Is this game you mention related to God Hand? :o

4 hours ago, SarDarniTron said:

When he falls through the doors of hell, all those screams, the music,... gives me the chills. Epic moments.

Indeed. Even if the game tried to copy GoW, it still had its epic moments.

On 25/6/2019 at 1:48 PM, Okarin22 said:

Resident Evil 4: Hearing the regenerators breathe while they're slowly coming at you was probably the scariest thing in the entire game 1f616.png

The 1st time I played the game and saw the Regenadores they freaked me out a lot. I still get nervous when I hear their breathing everytime I play RE 4 ?

Edited by IceSoul21

• 2 months later...

One of the games on Midway Arcade Treasures (PS2/PSP), 720°, has a voice blaring out "SKATE OR DIE!!!!" when the time expires on the world map. After hearing this, you had better hit one of the parks ASAP or else a swarm of bees will get you. You can avoid them for awhile, but they will keep getting faster by the second. The first time I heard that, I almost jumped. You have no tickets left, with several thousand points to go until the next one... bam, here it comes. Now you're feeling reeeeally screwed.

720° is also on the PS3 Midway Arcade Origins, but I've tried that version & remember it having some bad input lag. PSP & PS2 versions are fine.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge