Have you ever played a game where, to this day, a certain music or sound effect still scares you or makes you feel nervous?

IceSoul21

The most unnerving music I ever encountered in a game is also my favorite theme from any Final Fantasy game ever:

I would absolutely love to hear this theme fully orchestrated in a game.

As far as a scene, I don't scare easily from a video game. The closest was probably that chainsaw wielder at the beginning of RE4, or the bathtub scene in Eternal Darkness.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 3:13 AM, RadiantFlamberge said:

One of the games on Midway Arcade Treasures (PS2/PSP), 720°, has a voice blaring out "SKATE OR DIE!!!!" when the time expires on the world map. After hearing this, you had better hit one of the parks ASAP or else a swarm of bees will get you. You can avoid them for awhile, but they will keep getting faster by the second. The first time I heard that, I almost jumped. You have no tickets left, with several thousand points to go until the next one... bam, here it comes. Now you're feeling reeeeally screwed.

720° is also on the PS3 Midway Arcade Origins, but I've tried that version & remember it having some bad input lag. PSP & PS2 versions are fine.

I mean, the sound bees, wasps and anything related to its species make isn't a really pleasant sound ?. Still, it must've been very stressing if you were playing when you were little

On 11/9/2019 at 8:48 AM, AndyKazama said:

Been said a thousand times, but deserves to be mentioned over and over. Regerators. That. damn. breathing.

I love how these guys have scared/made so many people feel nervous xD

On 11/9/2019 at 1:33 PM, starcrunch061 said:

The most unnerving music I ever encountered in a game is also my favorite theme from any Final Fantasy game ever:

I would absolutely love to hear this theme fully orchestrated in a game.

As far as a scene, I don't scare easily from a video game. The closest was probably that chainsaw wielder at the beginning of RE4, or the bathtub scene in Eternal Darkness.

I'll say that I laughed a little at reading "the Pervert" ?. Also, I remember that a friend of mine had the game on his portable PC (since he was using an emulator) and I didn't play much cause I think I wasn't into RPGs at the time & because I didn't understand how the system worked.

Anyway, yes, the music is both great and chilling

9 hours ago, Martain2 said:

Both from Resident Evil 2

The start as you are surrounded by burning zombies in the street after the opening cutscene wreck.
The theme that plays as soon as you make it inside the Police Station.

It's great to see how much impact RE had during its first years. But since I haven't played it, I can't give an opinion.

Still, I'm sure a lot of people felt the same way when they played it.

9 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

only slightly related...not scary but the sound when you pick the lock on lockers in bully and the lasergewehr in wolfenstein have the same sound effect...every time I was picking lockers I would think "oh $hit, the supersoldaten is gonna catch me"...

Haha, it's kinda funny how the human mind sometimes ends up relating stuff with things that have little or nothing to do with other things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/9/2019 at 8:54 AM, DEMON said:

Mr X's footsteps in the Resident Evil 2 remake... it doesn't exactly scare me but it definitely sets my anxiety levels to high.

Whenever you've any character chasing you and you hear the footsteps, it'll always make you feel anxious/nervous.

I think I should change the title of this topic after reading the 2nd part of your comment ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mysticmosh said:

The static on the radio in Silent Hill 1. When it got louder, to say something might be near in the fog, I needed to reach for the incontinence pants1f4fb.png1f631.png

I never played the 1st game, but whenever I heard the static in SH 3 and saw those monsters that looked like the Lying Figures, I got so nervous. IDK why, but their design freaked/still freaks me out 

Yep there is only one game that really got me with 2 sound effects : Shadowman ! 

51V9578GG0L._SX342_.jpg

This was a setting in Louisiana Bayou with heavy voodoo themes. There were 2 sound effects that scared the living shit out of me : 

In the specific playroom area, there were some pig zombies with hooks instead of hands or chainsaws and whenever they spotted you they were squealing and chased you really fast. Paired with the awesome sound design (A music box + a woman yelling in the background ) it was grotesque.

Actually scratch that,the entire level is friggin horrible. Added a video too (time is 49 seconds for whoever wants some disturbing effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxbWdaOP3I0&t=49s

And the skeletons/really thin zombies. I think the sound was actually bugged for them because they had a jumpscare effect. Most of them were behind corners or appeared behind you and their growl was way louder than the general sound of the game. They really got me shivering.

Alien:Isolation

Pretty much most of the sound design in Alien:Isolation. The developers had access to all of the original sound recordings from the original movie which they added some of their own too. These would be the ones that still hit me when i hear them/think of them:

• The scuffle noises in vents and ceiling panels that aren't actually the Alien, just ambience designed to unnerve you.
  • The thud thud thud of Xenomorph footsteps, with a pause and a hiss as it stops to listen, then back to the thud thud thud. Bonus creepy points if the noises are getting louder and closer.
  • The whining noise of the transport trains on the station which sound like people screaming or wailing.
  • When you are in an area and you hear a handful of metal clacks and a thud. Which basically means the Xenomorph has just dropped out of a ceiling panel and is now present and ready to hunt you.
  • The recorded phrases that the Working Joe's are programmed with. When you don't see them, but you hear them say "You and I are going to have a talk about safety". And it fills you with dread, because that kind of phrase usually means that one is moving towards you from somewhere to grab you. This video i found is a good reason why I think they are just as scary as the Xeno - it's a bit graphic so don't watch if you are squeamish:

Really wish this dev team would make a Predator game with this same level of tension and creepiness.

Resident Evil 7 - Mia Possession noises

Whenever Mia gets possessed, the breathing and growling noises are just terrifying. This scene pretty much sums it up. Honestly when i played this for the first time i did it back when i was streaming and I was terrified. When you hear her breathing on the stairs. Completely unnerving.

I have a huge issue with anything possession related. People going all demonic / haunted / psychopathic really really disturbs me. RE7 is still my favourite RE game though, next to the RE2 remake that is.

This video i found is a bit graphic for anyone squeamish so watch at your own discretion:

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 4:12 AM, Copanele said:

Yep there is only one game that really got me with 2 sound effects : Shadowman ! 

51V9578GG0L._SX342_.jpg

This was a setting in Louisiana Bayou with heavy voodoo themes. There were 2 sound effects that scared the living shit out of me : 

In the specific playroom area, there were some pig zombies with hooks instead of hands or chainsaws and whenever they spotted you they were squealing and chased you really fast. Paired with the awesome sound design (A music box + a woman yelling in the background ) it was grotesque.

Actually scratch that,the entire level is friggin horrible. Added a video too (time is 49 seconds for whoever wants some disturbing effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxbWdaOP3I0&t=49s

And the skeletons/really thin zombies. I think the sound was actually bugged for them because they had a jumpscare effect. Most of them were behind corners or appeared behind you and their growl was way louder than the general sound of the game. They really got me shivering.

This...does look like a scary game. That video you linked is pretty disturbing indeed.

Maybe I'm messed up, but I think I'd like to try this game out ?. 

On 7/10/2019 at 5:16 AM, Crispy_Oglop said:

Alien:Isolation

Pretty much most of the sound design in Alien:Isolation. The developers had access to all of the original sound recordings from the original movie which they added some of their own too. These would be the ones that still hit me when i hear them/think of them:

• The scuffle noises in vents and ceiling panels that aren't actually the Alien, just ambience designed to unnerve you.
  • The thud thud thud of Xenomorph footsteps, with a pause and a hiss as it stops to listen, then back to the thud thud thud. Bonus creepy points if the noises are getting louder and closer.
  • The whining noise of the transport trains on the station which sound like people screaming or wailing.
  • When you are in an area and you hear a handful of metal clacks and a thud. Which basically means the Xenomorph has just dropped out of a ceiling panel and is now present and ready to hunt you.
  • The recorded phrases that the Working Joe's are programmed with. When you don't see them, but you hear them say "You and I are going to have a talk about safety". And it fills you with dread, because that kind of phrase usually means that one is moving towards you from somewhere to grab you. This video i found is a good reason why I think they are just as scary as the Xeno - it's a bit graphic so don't watch if you are squeamish:

Really wish this dev team would make a Predator game with this same level of tension and creepiness.

Resident Evil 7 - Mia Possession noises

Whenever Mia gets possessed, the breathing and growling noises are just terrifying. This scene pretty much sums it up. Honestly when i played this for the first time i did it back when i was streaming and I was terrified. When you hear her breathing on the stairs. Completely unnerving.

I have a huge issue with anything possession related. People going all demonic / haunted / psychopathic really really disturbs me. RE7 is still my favourite RE game though, next to the RE2 remake that is.

This video i found is a bit graphic for anyone squeamish so watch at your own discretion:

I never watched the 1st Alien movie ?. I know it's one of the greatest movies out there, but I haven't checked it yet. Though, I didn't know that the sounds came from the actual movie :o.

I should buy and play the game at some point and see if I feel the same things you and any other people felt while playing the game.

In what regards RE 7, I watched like the 1st hour of the game in some Let's Play channels (Mark, Jack, etc) to see if the game looked interesting and when I saw how Mia got possessed, I was like "Wha the hell? Are we dealing with demons or stuff like that now?"

Seems Capcom made a good job at bringing back the horror aspect in RE7.   

If I've done this right, video should start at ten minutes. I'm not normally bothered by any type of media, games, movies ect. That quickly changed when like the dude in the video, Psycho Mantis didn't spawn or spawned under the map for me. Which meant I couldn't prevent this almighty roar from Sahelanthropus, with headphones on, at full volume.

I only wanted to be able to hear his footsteps so I could gage distance when I wasn't looking at him, so I knew when it was safe to turn around and fire. Instead I got my heart almost erupting through my chest. I finished the fight with the headphones on, but I've never used them in any game since :lol: 

The Shadow Temple/Bottom of The Well soundtrack in Zelda Ocarina of Time. These dungeons haunted me as a child and it still give chills to my spine.

Ikana Canyon in Majora's Mask is also a very creepy place with one of the scariest soundtrack in the series for me.

Edited by Lorhyan

I was watching a video where someone mentioned the Flood from Halo 2 and they played the music from one of the levels and the music is still pretty unsettling even today but I remember when playing said level it was dark out and I also remember feeling really cold so the mood for it was just right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 11:31 PM, FarSideOfSaturn said:

If I've done this right, video should start at ten minutes. I'm not normally bothered by any type of media, games, movies ect. That quickly changed when like the dude in the video, Psycho Mantis didn't spawn or spawned under the map for me. Which meant I couldn't prevent this almighty roar from Sahelanthropus, with headphones on, at full volume.

I only wanted to be able to hear his footsteps so I could gage distance when I wasn't looking at him, so I knew when it was safe to turn around and fire. Instead I got my heart almost erupting through my chest. I finished the fight with the headphones on, but I've never used them in any game since :lol: 

While it is not scary or anything, I understand why you'd react that way. I'd react the same way if that happened to me ?.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:24 AM, Lorhyan said:

The Shadow Temple/Bottom of The Well soundtrack in Zelda Ocarina of Time. These dungeons haunted me as a child and it still give chills to my spine.

Ikana Canyon in Majora's Mask is also a very creepy place with one of the scariest soundtrack in the series for me.

It's pretty surprising how Nintendo made a game that scared/made so many people feel nervous and everything. 

Those videos you linked, yeah, the music does a very good job at making it creepy.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:29 AM, Redgrave said:

I was watching a video where someone mentioned the Flood from Halo 2 and they played the music from one of the levels and the music is still pretty unsettling even today but I remember when playing said level it was dark out and I also remember feeling really cold so the mood for it was just right.

Talk about having the right atmosphere :o.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2019 at 0:13 AM, EcoShifter said:

Reminds me of Kingdom Hearts when you're low on health ?

On 23/10/2019 at 8:02 PM, Clarink said:

The suspense music from the Phoenix Wright series, always makes me nervous or uneasy. Had to close the windows one night playing the first one when I was a teenager. Its more powerful with context though (and darkness)

Even though it's suspenseful, I think it's a pretty good music :o 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Malo de Vigny's chase theme in Amnesia: Justine

Though the game isn't short, it still has permadeath.

The first two suitors are pretty simple enough to avoid and sneak past.

The third suitor Malo de Vigny however?? *shudder* ?

I remember that this is the first moment in gaming that actually made me hyperventilate ?

Edited by chester_abellera

I remembered another one that scared me as a kid being the IG-88 boss fight from Shadows of the Empire. His intro cutscene makes him look pretty menacing but throughout the fight he makes weird garbling sounds that I remember would creep me out and because of his rapid fire gun that did high damage I had a hard time beating him and was too scared to keep fighting him so I never beat him until I played it again years later.