Have you ever played a game where, to this day, a certain music or sound effect still scares you or makes you feel nervous?

IceSoul21

This. I was like 4 years old when my dad got this game on ps1. I snuck into the room while my dad was playing it and saw the cutscene where the rat turns...into a scarier rat lol. That scene gave me nightmares for a LONG time. Went back when I was older and loved the game, but the music still to this day gives me chills.

I've beaten Saints Row IV like three times and the part where you glitch into Saints Row 1's main menu—soundtrack included—still freaks me the fuck out. Like some creepypasta shit only it's actually legit creepy.

Edited by Valzentia

On 2/12/2019 at 3:04 PM, chester_abellera said:

Malo de Vigny's chase theme in Amnesia: Justine

Though the game isn't short, it still has permadeath.

The first two suitors are pretty simple enough to avoid and sneak past.

The third suitor Malo de Vigny however?? *shudder* ?

I remember that this is the first moment in gaming that actually made me hyperventilate ?

Wow, the sounds that creature makes are really well done, in the way that they're scary. I imagine playing this game wirh headphones, alone at night and hearing him...

On 4/12/2019 at 2:40 AM, Redgrave said:

I remembered another one that scared me as a kid being the IG-88 boss fight from Shadows of the Empire. His intro cutscene makes him look pretty menacing but throughout the fight he makes weird garbling sounds that I remember would creep me out and because of his rapid fire gun that did high damage I had a hard time beating him and was too scared to keep fighting him so I never beat him until I played it again years later.

That's and interesting choice they made for his sounds. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:33 AM, ChimJiminie said:

Any of the noises Hydrus makes in SoTC, but I’ll link it’s little wail:

(Don’t know if it worked but it’s around the 1:53 mark if it didn’t.)

Just... any underwater creature noises or underwater noises like sonar, creaking metal, that kind of thing creeps me out especially in games but I think that’s more a fear of large bodies of water than a fear of these sounds themselves... they certainly make me feel uneasy though, and the Hydrus fight is genuinely hard for me to watch and play.

I understand what you're saying. I've seen pictures of mythological creatures and all, and seeing how they're about to attacks boats or people who are falling down is really scary.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:13 AM, rotoninja said:

Probably the OST for Chapter 13 in Max Payne 3 (think it's called U.F.E). I died SO many times on this chapter in NYMHC, as soon as this chapter would start my hands would sweat.

Haha, the frustation you experienced made you fear this chapter 

On 5/12/2019 at 1:03 PM, simpjkee said:

The creepiest I can remember is the Regenerators in Resident Evil 4 that you have to shoot with the infared scope. That breathing sound they make is creepy af.

I feel this is something everyone that played RE4 can agree on

On 5/12/2019 at 3:03 PM, InvaderJakee said:

This. I was like 4 years old when my dad got this game on ps1. I snuck into the room while my dad was playing it and saw the cutscene where the rat turns...into a scarier rat lol. That scene gave me nightmares for a LONG time. Went back when I was older and loved the game, but the music still to this day gives me chills.

The choir music also helps making the fight a bit more intense/scary.

At least you're able to play the game, even if it still scares you.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:20 AM, Reinachii- said:

Loved this mini game. Such a good boss theme

I don't consider the music that scary or anything like that, but it still sounds great

11 hours ago, Valzentia said:

I've beaten Saints Row IV like three times and the part where you glitch into Saints Row 1's main menu—soundtrack included—still freaks me the fuck out. Like some creepypasta shit only it's actually legit creepy.

Is the soundtrack that freaky?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2019 at 11:38 PM, Valzentia said:

nah just unsettling as fuck in the context

Oh, I see

On 16/12/2019 at 6:07 AM, launcestondevil said:

Well, I'm not gonna lie, I was about 10/11 when I first played resident evil 4 when it first came out. And the first encounter with the regenerators freaked me out, the music/atmosphere was horrific, with their intence breathing. Once I got past it I could finally chill...until the iron maiden appeared!!! 

I think I played RE4 around that age as well, and even to this day and knowing the game and all, the Regeneradores still makes nervous

On 29/12/2019 at 3:24 PM, Viper said:

Max Payne 2, that blood trail level...the sound of that screaming baby haunts my soul to this very day.

Sounds like an interesting level ?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is not a Playstation game, but in The Sims (1) on PC there was this sound whenever a burglar came on your property.  

First time I heard that sound (I believe I was 8 years old) I just turned my screen of and started crying :P 

And there's another game on PC called Puppet Combo, which is a very creepy horror game where a nun chases you down. The sound effects when you're in a chase are utterly terrifying. My friends booted up this game on my laptop without telling me what it was. My face when hearing the sound for the first time wasn't pretty.....

Edited by its_ArchroniX