Have you ever played a game where, to this day, a certain music or sound effect still scares you or makes you feel nervous?

IceSoul21

Well, this is my very 1st post in the forums, so I apologize if this isn't in the right place.

Anyway, I got curious about something: I was thinking about Silent Hill and how cool it'd be if someday, they released a (good) HD Collection of the games. The Collection'd include SH Origins, 2, 3, 4 The Room & maybe a Remaster or Remake of SH 1, but when I thought about it, I remembered a part of SH 4 that always scared me, and kinda still does to this day, and that is the sound the ghosts of the victims make when you use the Sword of Obedience to stop them from moving & attacking you. Something similar with SH Origins and a certain sound it has when you're in the Asylum, where it is like a high pitch that ends abruptly and starts again immediately.

Another sound/music that still makes me feel nervous is when The Regeneradores appear in Resident Evil 4.

So, as the title says, in your case, have you ever played a game where something similar happens to you?

• Like 2

Well, the Luigi's Mansion "Dark Room" theme plagued me with nightmares at a very young age thanks to my overactive imagination and putting myself in the game. Doesn't effect me now but boy once i woke up to my books about to eat my face I had to call it quits for a while 

2 minutes ago, IceSoul21 said:

Wow, I didn't expect a Mario (or in this case, a Luigi) game to be able to scare people with its music :o. When we're little our imagination can go wild sometimes.

Games had bad effects on me back then. There was this PC game called the Neverhood I played a lot back then that made my nightmares worse because of the games sound effects (just general overall) combined with the creepy claymation art style. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bella said:

Games had bad effects on me back then. There was this PC game called the Neverhood I played a lot back then that made my nightmares worse because of the games sound effects (just general overall) combined with the creepy claymation art style

Sorry to hear that you had some bad times back then :c. Ok, the "creepy claymation art style" convinced me that if I had played that game when I was little, I'd have gotten scared too.

Pac-Man theme song.

I swear that song must have given me anxiety. I had an old bulky orange handheld Pacman game (this one to be exact) and I can still remember sitting in the car and getting so stressed out and my ten-year-old heart would be beating very fast because of the song paired with the ghosts chasing me to perma dealth. I also remember the handheld being super loud with no real sound control, so having it blaring did not help my suffering. After I lost, I wouldn't want to play again solely because of the music. I eventually muted the music and I still mute most video game music to this day out of habit. 

A happier song that's not really a video game song per se is my Hip Hop Rabbit toy song. My best friend and I would play the rabbit for good luck when we were having difficulties with Super Mario Bros to the point that the poor toy broke (or ran out of batteries). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

This still gives me the chills 21 years later... I used to mute the music as a kid because it was so unsettling

Damn, that music is indeed unsettling. And the zombies's moaning and screaming must make that dungeon a not very nice place to go to 

12 minutes ago, IceSoul21 said:

Sorry to hear that you had some bad times back then :c. Ok, the "creepy claymation art style" convinced me that if I had played that game when I was little, I'd have gotten scared too.

That was some scary sh*t. Thanks though. I haven't touched the game since 2001-2003ish though. Best left in the past to be honest 

2 hours ago, Bella said:

That was some scary sh*t. Thanks though. I haven't touched the game since 2001-2003ish though. Best left in the past to be honest 

I can imagine it was :C.

YW. Yeah, I think it's best to leave it in the past

2 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Pac-Man theme song.

I swear that song must have given me anxiety. I had an old bulky orange handheld Pacman game (this one to be exact) and I can still remember sitting in the car and getting so stressed out and my ten-year-old heart would be beating very fast because of the song paired with the ghosts chasing me to perma dealth. I also remember the handheld being super loud with no real sound control, so having it blaring did not help my suffering. After I lost, I wouldn't want to play again solely because of the music. I eventually muted the music and I still mute most video game music to this day out of habit. 

A happier song that's not really a video game song per se is my Hip Hop Rabbit toy song. My best friend and I would play the rabbit for good luck when we were having difficulties with Super Mario Bros to the point that the poor toy broke (or ran out of batteries). 

Hmm, I remember having played Pac-Man when I was little, but don't remember much of the music, so IDK if I agree with you ?, but I imagine having the blaring music was like a hell to you.

The poor toy couldn't handle all your need of good luck ?

Edited by IceSoul21

The alligators in MGS3. Not just the alligator noises they themselves make but whenever they hit you Snake makes a damage sound that always startled me because of how sudden it is.

And in the same game whenever you get hit by The Sorrow's ghost tentacle beam.

Outside of that yeah, the Regenerators from Resident Evil 4 still creep me out. The Library from the first Halo I'm sure still does. Nothing like endless waves of creepy, moaning, and gross monsters that try to melee you in a long level with the only company you have being a floating robot that hums sometimes.

There was also a level in Resistance 2 where you're at Chicago and you're all alone in this hotel full of alien cocoons that may or may not burst open and have an alien run at you. The noises the cocoons and the aliens themselves would make kept me from doing the level for a while. I really hated it.

1 hour ago, Redgrave said:

And in the same game whenever you get hit by The Sorrow's ghost tentacle beam.

Outside of that yeah, the Regenerators from Resident Evil 4 still creep me out. The Library from the first Halo I'm sure still does. Nothing like endless waves of creepy, moaning, and gross monsters that try to melee you in a long level with the only company you have being a floating robot that hums sometimes.

There was also a level in Resistance 2 where you're at Chicago and you're all alone in this hotel full of alien cocoons that may or may not burst open and have an alien run at you. The noises the cocoons and the aliens themselves would make kept me from doing the level for a while. I really hated it.

The alligators are indeed sudden, but that attack from The Sorrow wins IMO. Still need to play the HD Collection though ^^;

I think everyone felt uncomfortable when playing RE 4 for the first time and reaching the part where The Regeneradores appear.

Well, I own both Resistance 1 & 2, and now I know there's a moment in the game where I could feel scared.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dennish8stennis said:

Resetti's theme from Animal Crossing: Wild World always used to make me cry as a kid, so much so that I would panic if the game happened to be turned off without saving. Still spooks me a bit even to this day. 

I think I'd cry too. That music is not nice ?

5 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

?

This is so relatable

2 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Lisa moaning in pain from P.T. I've played it a few times now and I end up having to stop moving for a few seconds every time I hear her.

Since I don't have a PS4, I can't talk from personal experience, but when I watched some Youtubers playing the demo and reaching that part, I got really scared 

2 hours ago, IceSoul21 said:

Wow, I didn't expect a Mario (or in this case, a Luigi) game to be able to scare people with its music :o. When we're little our imagination can go wild sometimes.

You'd be surprised. When I was very young, there was one piece of music, and one death animation that terrified me so much that I never wanted to be in the SAME room as any game.

I'll go ahead and admit it was so bad that I actually had nightmares of this sprite walking into my room at night and this music playing. 

I never saw this commercial growing up, but its the perfect example of what I'm describing.

Edited by RedRodriguez87

11 minutes ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

I'll go ahead and admit it was so bad that I actually had nightmares of this sprite walking into my room at night and this music playing.

Ok, I'll admit that having a dream where you can hear the music+seeing the sprite walking towards you, is indeed a bit scary.

And regarding that commercial, my reaction is: what the hell Nintendo?

These motherfuckers...

redneck-turd.gif

from the first person shooter

redneck-rampage-logo.gif

Used to play this old first person shooter on the PC a lot back in 1998 - 1999. This game was given to my sister from my uncle as a chrismas present but she didn't like it that much so eventually I grabbed a hold of it.

If you guys are wondering, yes, I was probably a bit too young to play this game.

Anyway, Redneck Rampage is a bit of an oddity since nobody knows about it anymore. The developers took the old Build engine that John Carmack (of DOOM fame) made to make Duke Nukem 3D. That game along with Blood, Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage all used the same engine. This game however looked a bit more advanced and had pretty good graphics for the time.

I finally managed to beat the first two levels in the game since all the fucking keys are in fact the same, and this had some pretty bullshit puzzles you had to solve. The third level has one Turd Minion (alien in the picture) and they scared the shit out of me when I was younger.

They are fairly weak but they're basically made of shit and they throw piles of shit at you. They run and jump at you awkwardly, have that high pitch voice and they can suicide.

There's an entire level that only has Turd Minions. Let me tell you I had nightmares for quite a while after that.

---

Was very unfortunate to hear this particular track when I was young, couldn't sleep after listening to it...

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

The Seymour battle music at Macalania temple in FFX creeped me out as a 12 year old kid. Also, Anima's overdrive game me nightmares on top of it that I closed my eyes everytime. Now as an adult and having played the remake, I could barely listen to that music and still found it hard to stomach his overdrive.

• Like 1