Is this game good?

tjoe1bkhjtqxm

Wanting to see reviews before buying something isn’t a revolutionary concept. People have limited time/money.

Yup, that's a good use of reviews if you need help deciding on games. Although neither reviews nor word-of-mouth actually tell you what you will like.

“Worth a buy”, “Buy, sale, rent”,  “Is it good” all obfuscate the true intention of reviews.

If you liked Housemarques Twin-Stick Shooters, then go for it. From reading tests I would say it's more like Ruiner.

One shot you die. No masses of enemies, not as fast as Nex Machina. Bossfights. Slow-Mo action.

Has a nice electro OST.

I would say the trophies could be challenging, surviving until day 2 in a one-shot-dead game. 

I havent played the game yet, but I take any decent twin-stick shooter, especially after Housemarques quitted the genre (sadly)

Edited by Mori
  • Like 2

On 23.1.2019 at 1:09 PM, NaseemJohn said:

It's been getting mostly positive reviews so there's that. Can't wait to play it myself, love twin stick shooters and it's rare to see any new ones nowadays. 

On 29.1.2019 at 9:01 PM, yowzagabowza said:

Thanks for 90% of the replies being completely unhelpful and just condescending instead. I was hoping for some real opinions on the game but I guess not.

It's a bit late now since the scrub patrol has been rolling through, but the game overall is solid.

On the upside it's a real good twin stick shooter with solid mechanics, and it doesn't go into absolutely stupid territory by giving you rocket launchers and such. The rules of the game are simple and more often than not, you dying will be on you.

One of my complaints with the game so far is that the challenges are the exact same with each level. I didn't really expect anything different, but it'd be nice to have challenges that proposed something more diverse rather than just "do level within time limit, do level without slowmo and do level without missing a shot".

Also a personal annoyance is how the dodge requires momentum, so if you run to the right, then hold left and dodge, it won't work because the momentum will be reset.

And I'd prefer SOME sort of melee attack. I get why it isn't there, but still.

So it's by no means gonna blow your mind, but if you're already into other twin stick shooters like mentioned in above replies, you should enjoy this one too, though with some minor caveats like waiting a split second longer to shoot because you're going through a door so your bullets don't get absorbed into it.

• Like 2

On 29.1.2019 at 9:01 PM, yowzagabowza said:

Thanks for 90% of the replies being completely unhelpful and just condescending instead. I was hoping for some real opinions on the game but I guess not.

Okay, here is my take on the game after I got the plat (still waiting for the patch, but I did everything needed)

Storywise, meh. Not that its necessary. I skipped everything after a few levels.

Soundtrack is nice if you like electro beats.

Levels are fairly small, almost all levels can be completed under a minute. You start with a pistol and can buy weapons and upgrades for those with "stars" you earn by completing a level the first time and for each completed challenge. You can always choose a weapon before starting a level. Other weapons are shotgun, uzi and rifle. You can also pick up weapons from each killed enemy.

You can dodge (you cant be hit during a dogde), and you can use slow-mo. Both together are mostly the best way to tackle a level.

The challenges are always the same on each level (except boss levels which have no challenges at all)

1. Beat level under xx:xx time

2. Beat level without slow-mo

3. Beat level without missing a shot (shotgun is usually the best option here, not always)

The boss levels are repetitve, you have to run upwards a few corridors (with a few enemies), while the boss runs alongside with you on the other side. Each boss has a health bar and takes several shots, while you die always by one shot.

Later a new enemy type gets introduced, which can be super annoying, because they take two hits instead of just one.

Another annoyance for me was the button layout. L2 is slow-mo while R2 is shooting and R1 is dodging. If you want to use everything at the same time, while aiming you need to switch really fast or use ur fingers a bit differently (middle finger for shooting instead and index for dodging, which messed with my aim a bit)

After all, I would say its more like Hotline Miami, than Ruiner. If you like twin-stick shooter, go for it. Its a decent game.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

If you love Hotline Miami, then this game is for you. If you haven't played that, then get it. I got the platinum and I'm pretty useless at those kind of games, but practice makes perfect. Just wish I could say the same for HM2 which isn't as good.

In truth, this game made me hankering for a Strangehold sequel, or a remaster of the PS3 version with trophies. That game was absolutely fun to play.

Edited by KHDelBoy
  • Like 1

Basically just wait until someone buys it and posts a YT on it.  That way instead of going by word of mouth, you can actually see the game in action.  That should give you a good idea if you might like it or not. (Graphics, interface, gameplay)

1 minute ago, Commander Waffles said:

Basically just wait until someone buys it and posts a YT on it.  That way instead of going by word of mouth, you can actually see the game in action.  That should give you a good idea if you might like it or not. (Graphics, interface, gameplay)

The graphics seems low quality during the cutscenes. I don't know if it is intentional though.

• 2 years later...

It's okay.

TL;DR: If you're buying one twin stick shooter game that's not Hotline Miami, buy Ruiner instead. 

Longer: It's Hotline Miami with worse controls, a different coat of paint, blurry visuals, barebones story, and a challenging trophy list (day five's medals). 

I hope Vreski succeeds. The proof of concept they showed for their next game looks cool but I'll need a more polished and complete package to buy their next game. 

• Like 1