CHOSEN CHAMPION?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take home the champion crown?

• Dragon-Archon
    • Fabiansc83
    • Jemmie
    • Kevvik
    • Kingofbattle8174
    • Ladynadiad
    • Leon Castle
    • Sealightbreeze
    • Warped Savior
    • xZoneHunter

1 minute ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Congrats :yay: .

So, how was the game? And the grinds? :awesome: 

I found the characters to be all the worst types of stereotypes for the girls and even the MC is painfully annoying in his interactions with the idols.  Ayumi, the old manager, was the only character I felt had any brain cells to speak of.  Story was minimalist at best, though the combat system had potential if there had been any real flexibility to set up combos in Advanced Mode other than spamming Cosmic Fan whenever possible. The grind was reasonably long and unenjoyable but still considerably shorter than my benchmark for pointlessness that is held by MeiQ.

Disappointing overall, and glad to be done with it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

In regards to the multipliers: shouldn't it be 3? A normal game is worth x1, double game adds another x1 (which brings the total to x2), and LP games have another 1 multiplier.

The scoring actually details LP as a bonus x2 multiplier though @ladynadiad and I were debating earlier in the thread if it was an baseline x2 so that LP games with no other bonuses were worth x2 (my assumption) or baseline 1+2 for the multiplier so that regular games with only LP bonus were actually worth x3 (Ladynadiad's proposal). I have yet to see a ruling from @kingofbattle8174 either way and no one else really weighed in so I have not adjusted my scoring yet.  I expect the decision will be done when King has time to update the scoreboard.

The scoring also does detail specifically that double and triple points games with LP bonus are worth x4 and x5 which is why I used x4 here.

While we are discussing scoring, I also proposed that we cap the Beast Mode bonus at x1.5 or x2 so that we don't abuse the system too badly with Tales, Neptune, or other massive series titles.    Love to hear your thoughts on this as well.

50 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

In regards to the multipliers: shouldn't it be 3? A normal game is worth x1, double game adds another x1 (which brings the total to x2), and LP games have another 1 multiplier.

Yeah, I brought up a bit ago that there may have been an error in how we were calculating multipliers for anything x2 and above.  And it was advised that whatever you get from a multiplier is added to the base score or you add 1 to the multiplier.  The issue I brought up was that with how we were doing the math something that adds x1 (like new release + beast mode, or the third game finished in a series) was coming out the same as double points when double point games and LP games should be worth more than those.  When @kingofbattle8174 gets back from family stuff they were going to update and check over the math to ensure no one was shorted points.

55 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

The scoring actually details LP as a bonus x2 multiplier though @ladynadiad and I were debating earlier in the thread if it was an baseline x2 so that LP games with no other bonuses were worth x2 (my assumption) or baseline 1+2 for the multiplier so that regular games with only LP bonus were actually worth x3 (Ladynadiad's proposal). I have yet to see a ruling from @kingofbattle8174 either way and no one else really weighed in so I have not adjusted my scoring yet.  I expect the decision will be done when King has time to update the scoreboard.

The scoring also does detail specifically that double and triple points games with LP bonus are worth x4 and x5 which is why I used x4 here.

While we are discussing scoring, I also proposed that we cap the Beast Mode bonus at x1.5 or x2 so that we don't abuse the system too badly with Tales, Neptune, or other massive series titles.    Love to hear your thoughts on this as well.

24 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Yeah, I brought up a bit ago that there may have been an error in how we were calculating multipliers for anything x2 and above.  And it was advised that whatever you get from a multiplier is added to the base score or you add 1 to the multiplier.  The issue I brought up was that with how we were doing the math something that adds x1 (like new release + beast mode, or the third game finished in a series) was coming out the same as double points when double point games and LP games should be worth more than those.  When @kingofbattle8174 gets back from family stuff they were going to update and check over the math to ensure no one was shorted points.

Ok, in that case I should look over some of my games too. 

@Kevvik I'm ok with adding a cap to the Beast Mode bonus.

1 hour ago, Kevvik said:

Well, you could count Trails as a massive series since it has 9 games on PSN, but the fact that only currently two, soon three, are even localized is a huge deterrent from anyone getting those plats and I seem to be the only one playing Japanese versions. 

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

Well, you could count Trails as a massive series since it has 9 games on PSN, but the fact that only currently two, soon three, are even localized is a huge deterrent from anyone getting those plats and I seem to be the only one playing Japanese versions. 

Logic for me is still the same. If you play more than 4, the Beast Mode should be capped at x2 though I liked your idea of the number going down after a point as well.  I just used Tales and Neptune as quick refs.  FF, Trails, Atelier and several others could crank the BM bonus up pretty high and I just don't think that should be allowed to get out of hand.

I just DL'd the first Trails for Vita and will have it in the next KYC (hoping to do a 100% Vita for the event this time).  I played the first Legend of Heroes games on PSP and am looking forward to this one.  Hoping that the 2nd might go on a good sale soon.  I did grab Tokyo Xanadu ex+ on the last sale (skipped it at Golden Week but the last one was even better so caved on it) but don't want to start anything big on PS4 until I close out some others.

Edited by Kevvik

1 hour ago, Kevvik said:

Logic for me is still the same. If you play more than 4, the Beast Mode should be capped at x2 though I liked your idea of the number going down after a point as well.  I just used Tales and Neptune as quick refs.  FF, Trails, Atelier and several others could crank the BM bonus up pretty high and I just don't think that should be allowed to get out of hand.

I just DL'd the first Trails for Vita and will have it in the next KYC (hoping to do a 100% Vita for the event this time).  I played the first Legend of Heroes games on PSP and am looking forward to this one.  Hoping that the 2nd might go on a good sale soon.  I did grab Tokyo Xanadu ex+ on the last sale (skipped it at Golden Week but the last one was even better so caved on it) but don't want to start anything big on PS4 until I close out some others.

I'm guessing you mean Trails of Cold Steel since the actual first Trails game's Vita version is Japanese only.  Trails of Cold Steel is actually the third arc in the series, but the first Cold Steel game is a good starting point for newbies to the series.  I'd hope the second game would get a good sale too, but with the third game being localized by a different company and the PS4 version coming out recently, that may not happen.  When you beat the first one though you'll probably not care so much because you'll want to play the second that bad.

Don;t blame you for wanting to hold off on Tokyo Xanadu eX+.  It's minimum 2 playthroughs for the plat, and that's if you are either insane enough to do calamity difficulty on your first run or are insane enough to do calamity difficulty + infinity mode on your second.  I'm not insane enough to do either, so it's three playthroughs for the plat for me.  But if you get the quest trophy on the first run, get most of the friend notes and most of the dungeons S ranked, the second run isn't too long.  I'm already nearly done with my second run.  I'm also trying to clear out my incomplete PS4 games before starting anything else, with the exception of CS3 and Ys IX.

The plat drought is over. It's comeback season!

Platinum #2 - Mary Skelter - 82.23 + 70 = 152.23

Total Score - 741.07

On 6/15/2019 at 2:43 PM, Kevvik said:

I may be a bit biased here, but I still stand by that the scoring shouldn't really be changed mid-event. If anyone had a problem with any of the bonuses, they should've said so back when we first started. I'm not going to fight it that hard though if I end up being in the minority.

Edited by jemmie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jemmie said:

The plat drought is over. It's comeback season!

Platinum #2 - Mary Skelter - 82.23 + 70 = 152.23

Total Score - 741.07

I may be a bit biased here, but I still stand by that the scoring shouldn't really be changed mid-event. If anyone had a problem with any of the bonuses, they should've said so back when we first started. I'm not going to fight it that hard though if I end up being in the minority.

I understand and am generally the same way. I didn't really think about it initially but when we were discussing another topic, it occurred to me that you could knock off, for example, 10 to 12 Neptune titles or more and end up with, including the Let's Play bonus, multipliers of x7, x8 or higher which felt really unbalanced and not with the spirit of the event.

I threw out the suggestion but if it doesn't go with what the group wants and it doesn't fly, then I won't lose sleep over it.

37 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

I understand and am generally the same way. I didn't really think about it initially but when we were discussing another topic, it occurred to me that you could knock off, for example, 10 to 12 Neptune titles or more and end up with, including the Let's Play bonus, multipliers of x7, x8 or higher which felt really unbalanced and not with the spirit of the event.

I threw out the suggestion but if it doesn't go with what the group wants and it doesn't fly, then I won't lose sleep over it.

I don't think many people would go that far to win a small competition like this (says the guy who saw the benefits of this system and picked all Neptune bonus games). If someone is a fan of a large series, chances are that they have already platted several games from that series and won't be able to reap as many benefits. Sure, in a year's time, someone may abuse this system, but what you call lack of spirit I call dedication.

2 hours ago, jemmie said:

I don't think many people would go that far to win a small competition like this (says the guy who saw the benefits of this system and picked all Neptune bonus games). If someone is a fan of a large series, chances are that they have already platted several games from that series and won't be able to reap as many benefits. Sure, in a year's time, someone may abuse this system, but what you call lack of spirit I call dedication.

Honestly I admit I am finding it fun seeing which of the various different strategies are working for people.  There are some folks slowly working on games that will net large bonuses and then you got me with the most completions because I'm playing shorter RPGs and have barely touched bonuses.  It will be interesting to see which strategy comes out on top in the end no matter what we do regarding beast mode.

Honestly, I don't see anyone going over 2.0 on that and this discussion may end up being a moot point in the end.

Well, Dauntless is not the game you want for this competition...9 trophies, it doesn't have a platinum and the grind to reach lv 40 is extreme.

Not a bad game, and i enjoyed the most of it, but holy s**t that last trophy was frustrating!.

Somehow, i managed to complete it within a month since the release so i can get the new game bonus... annnd, i'm on the leaderboard being the person #12 that have completed the game :pimp:

So: Dauntless: Base Game: (75+17-0.19)x1.5 (new game bonus)= 137.71

Total so far: 2.167,71 Points... (I'm a little confused with the scoring so i don't really know if i'm doing the right math)

Spoiler

Screenshot-20190618-142125.png

Screenshot-20190618-143004.png

About the discussion, i don't have any plan to abuse the beast mode bonus and the LP bonus, yeah, maybe i'll play Metro saga and Shenmue 1,2 and 3 during this year, but i love variety, so i'm not going to spent a whole year playing an entire massive saga just for this competition. Playing the same type of RPG over and over is not my style...yeah, i think that bonus is broken, but... it's not like you are going to win some prize or money if you win this thing and honestly, with such great competitors and rpg lovers, i'll be honored if i end up being within the top 3 ?.

Well, back to Tales Of Berseria! My beautiful waifu is waiting ? 

Resultado de imagen para velvet tales of berseria png

Edited by fabiansc83
  • Like 2

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is done now and holy crap was Calamity difficulty insane.  Most of the run was easy but then the final boss of the After Story ramped up in difficulty to an insane level that I honestly don't know how someone could do that in two runs and do either Calamity on the first run or Calamity + Infinity on the second.  I cheesed it and did Easy, Easy + Infinity and then Calamity to over level myself and the final boss of the After Story wiped me out numerous times until I pretty much just spammed Lunar Somas when I could and just kept on pounding it with X-Drives, Ex Skills and X-Strikes as I could and had a 700+ hit chain going by the end of it (which also says a lot for how long that battle was).  The Vita version plat was definitely a lot easier just for not having the After Story.  Some spoilers as I comment on the After Story, which may especially be of interest to anyone who only played the Vita version since this is one of the big differences between Vita and PS4 version.

Spoiler

Though I will say Calamity difficulty really made that boss feel as powerful as the game kept on driving home that it was.  For those only familiar with the Vita version, the After Story has you fight the real version of the Twilight Apostle, as in the mythological greed that caused the Toyko Twilight Disaster and killed some 30,000 people, including Askua's parents, Gorou's girlfriend, etc.  Merging with Shiori made it a total pansy, that's for sure.  The battle is a four part all out battle where you split the party into 4 teams.  Ryouta and Jun are playable for the After Story as well (Ryouta sucks, but Jun is totally badass and very fun to play as)

Anyway, points wise it is 100-9.09+12+12+45 for a total of 159.91 points.  That puts me to a total of 2040.27 points now.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Comeback Season continues!

Platinum #3 - Megadimension Neptunia VII - (87.38 + 58) * 5.5 = 799.59

Total Score - 1,540.66

It feels good to double my score. It'll probably be a while before I tackle my last double points game (considering I don't even own it yet), but I have a few other games to work on in the mean time.

• Like 2

With yesterday's Hero work to save 3D games plus VR games and stop a Superhuman Civil War and then save the world from a hive mind over.

1. Super Neptunia RPG 100 - 28.00 + 68 +140 + 0.50 = 280.50

2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 100 - 3.38 + 66 + 0.50 = 163.12

Super Neptunia RPG(EU Version) was out on June 28 which was 14 days ago.

• Like 3

The site counts Papers, Please as an RPG. I guess the decisions and multiple endings could make it RPG-lite.

75 + 19 - 11.97 = 82.03 points

Should be able to hit 3000 points soon with the next game I finish.  Moving along better than I thought I would be.

• Like 1

Just finished Asdivine Dios.  Since it's my second Asdivine game in this event it gets 0.5 for beast mode and also 0.5 for new release since it just came out in NA on July 2nd, so that's a total of 1.0 added to the multiplier.

(100-45.95+42+20+3)x2.0 for a total of 238.10 points.  That brings my total to 2278.37 points.  Not bad at all for a game that took me under 25 hours to plat.

Spoiler

Txr0xm6.png

E5zLbK7.png

It's also possible I may finish up Persona 5 this weekend since all I have left is getting the treasure demons I missed and beating that optional battle.  Since that's double points and has a LP bonus, I may end up breaking 3000 points when I do.

Edit: Ended up finishing Persona 5 before anyone else posted.  That one is double points and LP, so that adds 4 to the multiplier for (100-10.17+18+10+39)x5 and a total of 784.15 points and that brings my grand total to 3062.52 points.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 3

Finished Ys IV: Memories of Celceta. Might get Ys Origin and Ys I&II(Ys I&II don't have trophies, but I play it after/before Origin)

100 - 8.44 - 0 + 70 + 0.50 x 2 = 324.12

Then it comes to RPGs might do Shining Resonance Refrain(just need to find a good spot to grind before taking on any bosses which is always 10 levels higher) or God Eater Resurrection before Date a Live VN

• Like 2