CHOSEN CHAMPION?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take home the champion crown?

• Dragon-Archon
    • Fabiansc83
    • Jemmie
    • Kevvik
    • Kingofbattle8174
    • Ladynadiad
    • Leon Castle
    • Sealightbreeze
    • Warped Savior
    • xZoneHunter

Finished Crossing Souls while grinding away in The Caligula Effect.

100 + 66 (30+18+18) - 19.95 = 146.05 points

Caligula Effect goes slowly. Grinding the final battle for XP over and over is getting draining. Can't do it long before I have to work on something else. A bit of Sonic All-Stars breaks up the monotony a bit and solving class mysteries slowly gets the other stuff done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jemmie said:

100% #1 - Hatoful Boyfriend: 25.27 + 19 = 44.27

Current Score: 2,316.85

Here's another game that barely counts as an RPG for a small (but quick) point boost.

Right now, the scores seem to be in three groups. The lead pack (spots 1-4) can all still pull ahead somewhat easily with the work of utilizing point multipliers. The mid pack (spots 5-7) can still possibly win, but we're out of striking range for the time-being. And then the back of the pack (spots 8-10) hopefully have a wicked strategy or two in their back pockets to make things more interesting later.

I think you messed up on your math a bit because I double checked the spreadsheet's math and got the same value it did.  I'm thinking you subtracted from 50, which is the base for DLC, when it should be 75 for a 100% game.  Spreadsheet and I both got 69.27.

One other thing I've noticed about the lead pack is that all of us have a lot of completions.  Leon Castle has the least, but has a bunch of LP and beast mode bonuses to make up for the fewer completions.  I think that and actually finishing all our bonuses will be key to getting that top spot.  Which means I need to actually keep playing Omega Quintet, but I am going to add another Kemco plat to my pile since I already beat Alvastia Chronicles and am just working on the post game now.

Edited by ladynadiad

Just now, ladynadiad said:

I think you messed up on your math a bit because I double checked the spreadsheet's math and got the same value it did.  I'm thinking you subtracted from 50, which is the base for DLC, when it should be 75 for a 100% game.  Spreadsheet and I both got 69.27.

One other thing I've noticed about the lead pack is that all of us have a lot of completions.  Leon Castle has the least, but has a bunch of LP and beast mode bonuses to make up for the fewer completions.  I think that and actually finishing all our bonuses will be key to getting that top spot.

Yeah, I thought the base score was 50. I'm not complaining about more points though!

I've noticed that too. I don't have the time anymore to go at that pace, but hopefully the LP/series games I have lined up will help make up for that.

@ladynadiad second place? Really? Not so fast pal...look ??

On 13/8/2019 at 2:11 PM, fabiansc83 said:

Another one completed!

Shenmue I

Rarity: 37.02%

Took me a little more time than i expected...but i enjoyed this classic! Now, for the second part!

This game does not appear in the spreadsheet. I'll finish Shenmue 2 soon too.

4 minutes ago, fabiansc83 said:

@ladynadiad second place? Really? Not so fast pal...look ??

This game does not appear in the spreadsheet. I'll finish Shenmue 2 soon too.

My apologies, definitely missed that one!

In the future, if anyone doesn't see a game of theirs added within 24 hours feel free to mention me with a quote to it.  I check this forum daily so it's its not added after a day I definitely missed it.  So that leaves Fabian still with second place, but not by much.  Second to fourth place definitely is a heated battle right now since we're all so close with me getting those three completions in a row and catching up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fabiansc83 said:

Omega Quintet is your triple point game? that will be brutal...you don't have any mercy do you? 1f605.png

Yes it is and it also qualifies for LP bonus.  At the current rankings, it will be worth enough to put me in the lead with a few hundred to spare.  The only mercy I have is that I waited this long to get back to it.

Just finished The Caligula Effect. Wow, I think that is the worst grind I've done. Not the longest, about the same as Omega Quintet but I did about 50+ hours of grind to level up to 100 doing the end game cycle over and over. Got it down to about 13 min but that included loading, running to the location, skipping through the end story, 3 battles (about 2-3 min work total) with a scene to skip in the middle, skip through end scene and save clear file. Rinse and repeat a few hundred times.  I've heard that the Overdose version makes levelling a bit smoother with other fights you can do but this is really the only way to do it in this version. At least Omega Quintet and MeiQ were just battling over and over and over. This was painful. You can intersperse some of the class mysteries (that you need to have a high level for) but still a mind-numbing experience. Too bad, I really liked the story and the combat style though the fragmentary chats to make friends got tiresome quickly as well.  Anyway, points...

100 + 66 (24+2+40) - 2.55 = 163.45 points

Gotta finish up Gaming by the Numbers myself. This leaves me two more titles in the next couple of weeks to wrap up.

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 2

Here's my monthly update:

• Nights of Azure 2 Bride of the New Moon: (100 + (2*6 + 7*2 + 42*1) - 19.52) * (1 + 0.5) = 222.72 (beast mode multiplier)
  • Megadimension Neptunia VII: (100 + (4*6 + 13*2 + 17*1) - 12.48) * (1 + 2) = 463.56 (LP multiplier)
  • Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force: (100 + (5*6 + 16*2 + 8*1) - 12.09) * 1 = 157.91
  • Shining Resonance Refrain: (100 + (1*6 + 18*2 + 28*1) - 14.30) * 1 = 155.70
  • Touhou Scarlet Curiosity: (75 + (1*6 + 5*2 + 5*1) - 24.04) * 1 = 71.96

I also want to replace Ys Origin for Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet as a double point game.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Here's my monthly update:

• Nights of Azure 2 Bride of the New Moon: (100 + (2*6 + 7*2 + 42*1) - 19.52) * (1 + 0.5) = 222.72 (beast mode multiplier)
  • Megadimension Neptunia VII: (100 + (4*6 + 13*2 + 17*1) - 12.48) * (1 + 2) = 463.56 (LP multiplier)
  • Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force: (100 + (5*6 + 16*2 + 8*1) - 12.09) * 1 = 157.91
  • Shining Resonance Refrain: (100 + (1*6 + 18*2 + 28*1) - 14.30) * 1 = 155.70
  • Touhou Scarlet Curiosity: (75 + (1*6 + 5*2 + 5*1) - 24.04) * 1 = 71.96

I also want to replace Ys Origin for Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet as a double point game.

Well, I see you already updated the double point change so that is much appreciated!

How was Shining Resonance Refrain?  I have that in my backlog and it looks like you finished it up pretty quick.  Is it pretty straightforward as a plat and fun to play then?

3 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Well, I see you already updated the double point change so that is much appreciated!

How was Shining Resonance Refrain?  I have that in my backlog and it looks like you finished it up pretty quick.  Is it pretty straightforward as a plat and fun to play then?

Yeah, I thought I'd save you the trouble of changing the programming.

I had high expectations for this game, because it seemed like a fun JRPG with dragons and music in a fantasy setting where the protagonist goes on an epic quest to save the world. However, after completing it, I have very mixed feelings about the game. I can't help but wonder if my high expectations caused that.

The story starts of strong with the synopsis, but becomes a bit mediocre after chapter 4. Luckily, it picks up again near the end. The game has multiple character endings and I was relieved when finding out it's possible to work on all endings simultaneously as the game puts you back before the final boss fight when clearing it. This enables players to choose another character and get their ending (provided you have enough affection). Something I appreciate a lot is that the game has optional epilogues that show what happens when choosing a love interest. These take place after the game's ending. 

The best thing about the game is definitely the graphics, everything looks very nice. The locations are diverse as are party members and their personalities. Each party member plays different, which adds variety to the combat. The main character can transform into a dragon and I also like how musical instruments are incorporated into special weapons, which can be used for extra buffs or debuffs during battles. These buff/debuff songs are nice to listen to. The soundtrack in the game is ok, it fits the environment and situations, but I wish there was an epic boss battle theme. I did like the dessert theme, which reminded me a lot of the music from The Mummy (the movie with Brendan Fraser).  Another thing I appreciate is: the game hardly has any grinds, which is very rare in RPG games.

Now as for the things I didn't like. The game has two game modes: Original and Refrain. The difference between those is that in Refrain you have two more party members. I thought Refrain was some kind of enhanced story mode where the two party members (Excella and Jinas) would join at some point during the story. But that doesn't happen. They're both there from the start and you can interact with them and take them with you, but that's it. No explanation as to why/when they join. This is especially disappointing considering Excella is featured prominently on the cover of the Draconic Launch edition and on the image in the XMB menu, which makes her seem like the main heroine.
At the final boss fights there's some new information revealed that's meant as a plot twist. I don't mind that, but it's not done properly as the new information was never mentioned or even hinted at before. The final boss just casually mentions that there used to be a group that set things in motion, but the group has never been mentioned before nor is there any explanation that follows about the group, so I'm wondering why he bothered mentioning it now. It doesn't add anything to the story.
From chapter 3 on it became necessary to farm levels as enemies' levels are increased by 10 at the start of each chapter. Unfortunately, the amount of exp they yield hardly increases and even decreases when leveling up. Side quests don't yield exp either, which is a shame considering the game likes to recycle quests a lot. Almost all quests don't offer money either, which means most quest don't add anything and are pointless.

The game has no fast travel system even though there are resting camps. That means players have to go from the hub area to wherever the main quest tells them to go. There is an item to teleport back to the hub area, but you'll have to manually return to continue the story. The frame rates drop a lot when fighting lots of enemies or when enemies/allies use AoE attacks, which is very annoying as this happens a lot. The bestiary only fills when obtaining the information from enemies (very rare drop) or when using a RNG mechanism at the cost of gold that likes to give duplicates. The game needs more in-depth explanations about the bond mechanic. It only explains what the mechanic is, but doesn't go into detail about the colours of the traits and bonds and what those mean. Something that was missing are endings for secondary characters. I liked the scenes with Primula and Rapple and would've loved to see a conclusion.

All in all, the game had a lot of potential, but needed to be polished a lot more. It's a real shame it was released like this. There is enough room for a sequel, especially after seeing some of the character endings. If there's ever a sequel, I hope the developer improves the cons while keeping the pros.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, that's a huge wall of text and I wasn't planning on typing so much. On the bright side, I can use this for my checklist :lol:

Edited by Dragon-Archon

17 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

From chapter 3 on it became necessary to farm levels as enemies' levels are increased by 10 at the start of each chapter. Unfortunately, the amount of exp they yield hardly increases and even decreases when leveling up.

Did you find a way to defeat those 10 level higher bosses or a place to grind? That's the only thing that stop me from playing for the moment.

26 minutes ago, Leon Castle said:

Did you find a way to defeat those 10 level higher bosses or a place to grind? That's the only thing that stop me from playing for the moment.

Defeating them wasn't the issue, it's just the amount of exp obtained is atrociously low. I just went to the area with the strongest enemies and fought them over and over again. During special weather (rain, fog, sandstorm, snowing, etc.) new enemies appear and they stay there until the weather changes (meaning sleeping at the inn or rest camps). These new enemies are usually stronger and yield more exp. Some of those rare large enemies were 20-30 levels higher.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

Couple of fast ones done.  Got to try and stay ahead of a Dragon...

Steins;Gate (PS3)  100 + 67 (12+32+23) - 51.57 = 115.43 points

Asdivine Hearts  75 + 20 (10+10) - 12.46 = 82.54 points

Gotta keep working if he's dropping points like that on me. Still have one game left to finish for Gaming by the Numbers but I don't think it's going to be an RPG...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Couple of fast ones done.  Got to try and stay ahead of a Dragon...

Steins;Gate (PS3)  100 + 67 (12+32+23) - 51.57 = 115.43 points

Asdivine Hearts  75 + 20 (10+10) - 12.46 = 82.54 points

Gotta keep working if he's dropping points like that on me. Still have one game left to finish for Gaming by the Numbers but I don't think it's going to be an RPG...

Steins;Gate is such a masterpiece :highfive: .

5 minutes ago, Leon Castle said:

So VNs counts as a form of RPG? as far I know some Japanese RPGs does tell the story the same way as a VN does(Most Neptunia, Older Atelier and Nelke, SAO etc.).

I'd personally say no, since there's no gameplay. The games you mentioned only use that for cutscenes and the majority of the time spent is used fighting, going through dungeons, leveling up, and whatnot, but I doubt everyone will agree on that.

2 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I'd personally say no, since there's no gameplay. The games you mentioned only use that for cutscenes and the majority of the time spent is used fighting, going through dungeons, leveling up, and whatnot, but I doubt everyone will agree on that.

So how is Steins;Gate a RPG?