CHOSEN CHAMPION?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take home the champion crown?

• Dragon-Archon
    • Fabiansc83
    • Jemmie
    • Kevvik
    • Kingofbattle8174
    • Ladynadiad
    • Leon Castle
    • Sealightbreeze
    • Warped Savior
    • xZoneHunter

2 minutes ago, fabiansc83 said:

Is labeled under the rpg genre in this site. That's why.

Hatoful boyfriend is another example.

Yeah, VN doesn't have a category on here so a few VNs have been labeled as RPGs.  To be fair, Hatoful Boyfriend and its sequel do have a spot where you have a RPG like battle so at least that makes some sense to be labeled that way.

Papers, Please was another weird one that was listed as RPG even though its more a point and click adventure/VN.  There were a few others as well that have been used, so Steins;Gate isn't the only one of these and to be fair it should count as much as others labeled as RPG wrongly.

Now, I do think it is worth discussing because Steins;Gate has a ton of stacks of trophies and two other games in the series at minimum are marked as a RPG, we have discussed the possibility of limiting beast mode.  I'd propose that we should consider whether people can play multiple stacks of the same game to count as points and count for beast mode.  I was personally of the opinion that only one stack should count unless the second stack has a significantly different trophy set, like The Witch and the Hundred Knight and The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival Edition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Now, I do think it is worth discussing because Steins;Gate has a ton of stacks of trophies and two other games in the series at minimum are marked as a RPG, we have discussed the possibility of limiting beast mode.  I'd propose that we should consider whether people can play multiple stacks of the same game to count as points and count for beast mode.  I was personally of the opinion that only one stack should count unless the second stack has a significantly different trophy set, like The Witch and the Hundred Knight and The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival Edition.

I'd vote for multiple stacks not counting as points and also not counting for beast mode.

• Like 1

I agree, a game should only count once during the event regardless of stacks and stacks should not impact on beast mode.

I hadn't planned on opening a can of worms with this. I had just chosen it as a 5 in Gaming by the Numbers and noticed the RPG designation later on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fabiansc83 said:

Play multiple stacks of the same game?... people do that?..1f632.png

Yes they do.  Usually it's because they really like the game or the game has multiple versions that you get via cross buy or a new version comes out later that they want to play.  Some folks also import because they can't wait for localization and still buy the localization when it comes out.  A last group will purposely go after multiple stacks of easy games to pad their platinum count and completion percentage.  Steins;Gate is actually known as a good choice for this sort of thing because you can finish the game fast if you skip all the dialog, though you do have to buy each version.

Three games I played for this event were second stacks of a game I finished before.  Ys Origin, Ys Lacrimosa of Dana and Tokyo Xanadu eX+.  The latter two were the PS4 versions that have added content, the first was due to cross buy.  I also have already platted Trails of Cold Steel 3, but in Japanese and I'll be buying the localized version next month as well and that's my double point game, so I'll have at least 4.  Keep in mind that none of these auto-pop so I've played them through multiple times for the 50-100 hours they take each time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Three games I played for this event were second stacks of a game I finished before.  Ys Origin, Ys Lacrimosa of Dana and Tokyo Xanadu eX+.  The latter two were the PS4 versions that have added content, the first was due to cross buy.  I also have already platted Trails of Cold Steel 3, but in Japanese and I'll be buying the localized version next month as well and that's my double point game, so I'll have at least 4.  Keep in mind that none of these auto-pop so I've played them through multiple times for the 50-100 hours they take each time.

I did this with a few titles as well. I had bought Steins;Gate on Vita and played it a few years ago. Played it again this time on PS3 as I needed a 5 and had this free from PS+ in my backlog. Skipped some but went through parts I had really liked fully again. It really is a fantastic title.

I actually went through Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters 3 times. I bought it for Vita then got PS Now and went through the PS3 version again a while later. Then the expanded Special Gigs came out for PS4 with some extra content on PS Now, so I went through it all again.  Call me crazy, the game really worked for me.

My opinion regarding stacks is pretty much about the same as what was already stated

Anyways, a point update!

Ys Origins was at 31% before the event, plus it gets the LP bonus so...

Ys Origins: (100+6*5+2*6+1*3-3.06-5)*3= 410.82 points

Shenmue: (100+66-37.13-0)= 128.87 points

• Like 2

Okay, so since the majority have weighed in saying that stacks shouldn't count multiple times or towards beast mode, that's what we'll go with going forward.

However, I do feel we should allow the stack worth the most points to count to be fair.  I also think we should allow for exceptions with remakes/remasters that have changed the trophy list or gameplay to a large degree. That can be handled on a case by case basis since there are remakes/remasters that do that.

Edit: And since I'd rather not double post, going to add that I just finished Asdivine Menace.  Since it just came out yesterday it qualifies for new release bonus and being the third game in the Asdivine series I've finished during this event it also gets a 1.0 beast mode multiplier.  But the rarity was much higher than Asdivine Dios was since it's a very easy plat.  It still got me 238.95 points and put me back into 3rd place.

Edit the second: Since I'm still not going to double post and have another completion will just edit in that I also just finished up Bonds of the Skies for another 112.68 points.  No change to rankings with that one, but I'm now less than 100 points away from second place.

Edit the third: Wow, still no more posts here and I just finished up a third game.  Just finished up Sephirothic Stories for 119.52 points and that now puts me into 2nd place.  However, that is the last easy Kemco game I have left until new ones are released and there hasn't been a new trophy list posted for a JP release yet.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 3

I finished one more game...

Okage: Shadow King :platinum:

10.72% Rarity

...But, i really don't think i'll be making some points for this event for a while because my favourite shooter came out suddenly last week, i'm totally hooked by Plants Vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville so i probably will be losing my spot, but well...things happen.

Good luck for y'all and keep rockin' ?

Edited by fabiansc83
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Got another completion down.  Followed Fabian's lead and finished up Murdered: Soul Suspect, which was actually pretty enjoyable for a quick easy plat.  That added another 126.49 and put me back in 2nd place and I'm closing in on 1st place.

Still working on Omega Quintet and I'm hoping to have Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki finished within the next few days as well.  Gotta add on to that beast mode for the Trails series before I get my plat for the NA version of CS3 after all.

• Like 3

Glad to see people making progress. I finished up the main story on Atelier Rorona Plus but then diverted to Grand Kingdom to try to make enough progress to finish the plat once the online wars go down at the end of the month. Hopefully I'll have something to post soon and try to hold my lead a little longer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jemmie said:

Plat #7 - Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force: (87.89 + 70) *1.5 = 236.835

Current Score: 2,578.685

This was a fun one. I seem to have fallen behind quite a bit since my last update. Let's see if I'm able to fix that. :giggle:

I'm a bit confused here, as far as I'm aware, Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force is just a remaster of Fairy Fencer F, not a sequel.  I double checked on Google as well and Wikipedia says " Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force is an enhanced remaster of the original game for PlayStation 4, PC and Nintendo Switch"  I checked the trophy lists and as far as what is required, it's very similar, just slightly different flavor text and one extra trophy.

It definitely doesn't qualify for beast mode as far as I can tell, but I also think it would fall under the we're not counting multiple stacks of the same game that we just discussed and the majority agreed should be the case, unless the trophy list is very different, which these don't look to be other than flavor text.  I'll leave it up to the group and if two people chime in and say I'm wrong, these are different games, then I'll count it.  If not, then it will replace Fairy Fencer F because I do feel in the case of multiples that the one worth the most should count.

7 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I'm a bit confused here, as far as I'm aware, Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force is just a remaster of Fairy Fencer F, not a sequel.  I double checked on Google as well and Wikipedia says " Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force is an enhanced remaster of the original game for PlayStation 4, PC and Nintendo Switch"  I checked the trophy lists and as far as what is required, it's very similar, just slightly different flavor text and one extra trophy.

It definitely doesn't qualify for beast mode as far as I can tell, but I also think it would fall under the we're not counting multiple stacks of the same game that we just discussed and the majority agreed should be the case, unless the trophy list is very different, which these don't look to be other than flavor text.  I'll leave it up to the group and if two people chime in and say I'm wrong, these are different games, then I'll count it.  If not, then it will replace Fairy Fencer F because I do feel in the case of multiples that the one worth the most should count.

True that both Fairy Fencer F have almost the same trophy lists, but the difference is not just the extra trophy. In Fairy Fencer F PS3 you have to get the Normal Ending, Tiara's ending,Eryn's ending, 100 million G and play for 20 hours while on Advent Dark Force it's Goddess Route(PS3 story), Vile God Route, Evil Goddess Route, 5,000,000 Gold, play for 40 hours, Have Pippin(Alone) successfully use "Persuade" on all enemies in a 6-enemy party, Defeat Imperial Gold Dragon with only the male(Human) members of the party, Defeat Artemis with only the female(Human/Fairy) members of the party, Defeat Devilkin, Iris, and EX Harariel within Shukesoo's Tower only after destroying all of their parts and clear the game on Hard Mode. It's not a stack or a sequel.

23 minutes ago, Leon Castle said:

True that both Fairy Fencer F have almost the same trophy lists, but the difference is not just the extra trophy. In Fairy Fencer F PS3 you have to get the Normal Ending, Tiara's ending,Eryn's ending, 100 million G and play for 20 hours while on Advent Dark Force it's Goddess Route(PS3 story), Vile God Route, Evil Goddess Route, 5,000,000 Gold, play for 40 hours, Have Pippin(Alone) successfully use "Persuade" on all enemies in a 6-enemy party, Defeat Imperial Gold Dragon with only the male(Human) members of the party, Defeat Artemis with only the female(Human/Fairy) members of the party, Defeat Devilkin, Iris, and EX Harariel within Shukesoo's Tower only after destroying all of their parts and clear the game on Hard Mode. It's not a stack or a sequel.

Bear in mind, I'm not outright familiar with the game or what the trophy list entails doing, plus the flavor text in the descriptions makes it a lot harder to tell if these lists are significantly different enough.  Are you saying you think it is different enough to count as a unique game without beast mode (which would be 157.89 points instead) or should it not count as a unique game?

8 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Why shouldn't Advent Dark Force get the beast mode bonus? As far as I'm concerned, Fairy Fencer F and Advent Dark Force are two completely different games that are both part of the Fairy Fencer series. Also, as @Leon Castle mentioned, not only do the trophy lists of the two games differ quite a bit, but Advent Dark Force also has hours of additional story content.

For a comparison, think of the original HDN trilogy compared to their respective Re;Birth games. Their stories are similar, but they're classified as completely different games as part of the HDN series. Fairy Fencer F and Advent Dark Force work in a similar manner. They just happen to be the only two games of their respective series, which shouldn't matter since there shouldn't be a minimum to how many games a series can have.

3 hours ago, jemmie said:

Why shouldn't Advent Dark Force get the beast mode bonus? As far as I'm concerned, Fairy Fencer F and Advent Dark Force are two completely different games that are both part of the Fairy Fencer series. Also, as @Leon Castle mentioned, not only do the trophy lists of the two games differ quite a bit, but Advent Dark Force also has hours of additional story content.

For a comparison, think of the original HDN trilogy compared to their respective Re;Birth games. Their stories are similar, but they're classified as completely different games as part of the HDN series. Fairy Fencer F and Advent Dark Force work in a similar manner. They just happen to be the only two games of their respective series, which shouldn't matter since there shouldn't be a minimum to how many games a series can have.

Then explain to me how two different games have the following:

1. The same page in Wikipedia.

2. People saying you only need to play one of that they are the same game.  I can find plenty of spots where this is said:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/347830/discussions/0/1648791520836498507/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/347830/discussions/0/2552901289718159847/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/835983-fairy-fencer-f-advent-dark-force/74316639

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/835983-fairy-fencer-f-advent-dark-force/71683308

As far it's been stated, beast mode is only supposed to count for two different games in the same series, not for remasters or ports of the same game, which is what Advent Dark Force appears to be and in the last topic I linked someone even asks if it compares to HDN vs Re;Birth and it was said it more like Tales of Graces and Tales of Graces f.  Since I'm not familiar with the game besides the research I've done, I'll let the others weigh in and if two people agree on either or both counts, I'll add it.  I did ask Leon Castle for clarification because to be honest I can't say if that was saying more than it should at least count as a unique game.

@Kevvik, @Dragon-Archon, @Warpedsavior, @ShinigamiSensei- - care to give your thoughts on if Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force should A) count for points or be considered a stack and B ) count for a beast mode bonus or no, it's the same game?

2 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Then explain to me how two different games have the following:

1. The same page in Wikipedia.

2. People saying you only need to play one of that they are the same game.  I can find plenty of spots where this is said:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/347830/discussions/0/1648791520836498507/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/347830/discussions/0/2552901289718159847/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/835983-fairy-fencer-f-advent-dark-force/74316639

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/835983-fairy-fencer-f-advent-dark-force/71683308

As far it's been stated, beast mode is only supposed to count for two different games in the same series, not for remasters or ports of the same game, which is what Advent Dark Force appears to be and in the last topic I linked someone even asks if it compares to HDN vs Re;Birth and it was said it more like Tales of Graces and Tales of Graces f.  Since I'm not familiar with the game besides the research I've done, I'll let the others weigh in and if two people agree on either or both counts, I'll add it.  I did ask Leon Castle for clarification because to be honest I can't say if that was saying more than it should at least count as a unique game.

@Kevvik, @Dragon-Archon, @Warpedsavior, @ShinigamiSensei- - care to give your thoughts on if Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force should A) count for points or be considered a stack and B ) count for a beast mode bonus or no, it's the same game?

I'm not familiar enough with the Tales of games to comment on that, but I don't see the problem here. Sure, the gameplay hasn't changed (as is the case for the original HDN versus its respective Re;Birth), but it's different enough to be considered its own game. There's argument to be made that you can skip FFF and go straight to Advent Dark Force, but the same argument can be made for almost any remaster. There's a huge difference between a simple remaster that is just a visual upgrade on a new system with a few extra lines and one with additional story, new characters, and even an entirely different name. If there's new content and different trophy lists, they should count as different games. And since both Fairy Fencer F and Advent Dark Force are both Fairy Fencer F games, they should be included as part of the same series.

I can't speak to experience as I haven't gotten around to the Fairy Fencer games (still sitting in my backlog with a thousand other digital titles). Just from what little I've looked at, I think a case could be made either way so I'll abstain.

I will say I don't believe if all that's new is completing different accomplishments within essentially the same game then it shouldn't count for beast mode. I'll defer to someone who has actual experience with the game though.

8 minutes ago, jemmie said:

I'm not familiar enough with the Tales of games to comment on that, but I don't see the problem here. Sure, the gameplay hasn't changed (as is the case for the original HDN versus its respective Re;Birth), but it's different enough to be considered its own game. There's argument to be made that you can skip FFF and go straight to Advent Dark Force, but the same argument can be made for almost any remaster. There's a huge difference between a simple remaster that is just a visual upgrade on a new system with a few extra lines and one with additional story, new characters, and even an entirely different name. If there's new content and different trophy lists, they should count as different games. And since both Fairy Fencer F and Advent Dark Force are both Fairy Fencer F games, they should be included as part of the same series.

Tales of Graces f is a remaster of the original Tales of Graces for Wii (which was never released out of Japan either).  The original Wii version had a ton of bugs and issues with it.  Namco Bandai later released the game to PS3 with the issues resolved and additional story chapters.  And I think there were characters who were playable in Graces f that weren't in the original, but I haven't played the original to say for sure there.  As far as the series goes, Graces f replaced the original Graces.

On the plus side, I just completed the plat for Grand Kingdom. Really enjoyable game and I'm glad I noticed the closure notice for the online wars as that sped the process up considerably.  Anyway, points....

100 + 70 (12+30+28) - 1.26 = 168.74 points

Now to get back to Atelier Rorona and a few others...