CHOSEN CHAMPION?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take home the champion crown?

• Dragon-Archon
    • Fabiansc83
    • Jemmie
    • Kevvik
    • Kingofbattle8174
    • Ladynadiad
    • Leon Castle
    • Sealightbreeze
    • Warped Savior
    • xZoneHunter

18 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

How was Revenant Saga?  It's a game I've had sat in the backlog for a while, along with a couple of other Kemco games

Pretty typical Kemco fare actually.  Good solid fun, nothing seriously ground breakingly amazing.  They pretty much are very average, there's nothing incredibly good about them, but they also aren't bad.  Just a very solid average RPG with a decent enough story and characters.  If you go in expecting very little, you should enjoy it and it's about 25-30 hours for the plat.

Edit: So now that I finally was able to update with my shiny new Revenant Saga plat, here's my score for it.

100-23.60+12+20+36=144.40 points

Also, since this lacks any genre labeling on PSNP and it is a turn based RPG, here's a link to my TrueTrophies  page to serve as a reputable site that does list it as an RPG.  In general all games published by Kemco on PSN are going to be turn based RPGs.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 6:45 AM, ladynadiad said:

Pretty typical Kemco fare actually.  Good solid fun, nothing seriously ground breakingly amazing.  They pretty much are very average, there's nothing incredibly good about them, but they also aren't bad.  Just a very solid average RPG with a decent enough story and characters.  If you go in expecting very little, you should enjoy it and it's about 25-30 hours for the plat.

Edit: So now that I finally was able to update with my shiny new Revenant Saga plat, here's my score for it.

100-23.60+12+20+36=144.40 points

Also, since this lacks any genre labeling on PSNP and it is a turn based RPG, here's a link to my TrueTrophies  page to serve as a reputable site that does list it as an RPG.  In general all games published by Kemco on PSN are going to be turn based RPGs.

Ok I will update your stats. Congrats on the completion. 

@ladynadiad So i started grinding the 256 floor tower, but i've been wondering, do you remember if there was any way of knowing what tier your weapon is? I haven't really been paying that much attention while playing so i haven't really kept track of how many times my weapon upgraded. All the checklists seem to just list the name of the first tier of the weapon. And since you can't access the library while in a dungeon, i'm not sure if there is a way to check what tier your weapon is. It'd suck to keep playing with an already fully upgraded weapon.

7 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

@ladynadiad So i started grinding the 256 floor tower, but i've been wondering, do you remember if there was any way of knowing what tier your weapon is? I haven't really been paying that much attention while playing so i haven't really kept track of how many times my weapon upgraded. All the checklists seem to just list the name of the first tier of the weapon. And since you can't access the library while in a dungeon, i'm not sure if there is a way to check what tier your weapon is. It'd suck to keep playing with an already fully upgraded weapon.

I remember having either a spreadsheet or word doc with the full list and removed each item as it was found or upgraded to it.  Outside of something like a checklist, there isn't.  Each does have only five tiers, so you can also just keep track of the number of upgrades too, but it's easy to lose track.

And of note, once you've finished the 256 floor tower once, don't bother with the full climb for grinding.  Either start from the beginning and leave at the first boss (which I think was around 100 or so) or grind at the mysterious curry tower.  You need to finish the 256 floor one once to get all the monster entries, but after that you're better off doing about 100 floors per run for grinding since there is never a guarantee that Kuu will get crafting smarts to easily swap weapons mid-dungeon and the higher floors are very difficult once you are down to grinding for all the staves.

50 out of 60 something levels in the extra dungeon complete. That is not getting the S rank, just beating it took me hours. I can move on more torwards the end of the story once I get this done. I can see why there are so many UR trophies for this game. It is not hard, just endurance to complete each task. 

On on a few side notes. 1, is anyone looking into getting the new Compile Hearts game that comes out Tuesday? I am undecided. I also see that the creators or I am Setsuna have a new game coming out this Summer. Lastly, I was working on a game for another event and I noticed it somehow qualifies as a RPG. I am not sure how since it is a point and click type game. I am not even sure I want to count it. Since it is a seems like a cheap points grap and not how that type of game can be called an RPG. 

1 hour ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

50 out of 60 something levels in the extra dungeon complete. That is not getting the S rank, just beating it took me hours. I can move on more torwards the end of the story once I get this done. I can see why there are so many UR trophies for this game. It is not hard, just endurance to complete each task. 

On on a few side notes. 1, is anyone looking into getting the new Compile Hearts game that comes out Tuesday? I am undecided. I also see that the creators or I am Setsuna have a new game coming out this Summer. Lastly, I was working on a game for another event and I noticed it somehow qualifies as a RPG. I am not sure how since it is a point and click type game. I am not even sure I want to count it. Since it is a seems like a cheap points grap and not how that type of game can be called an RPG. 

Do you mean this game?  Definitely not since it says you can change the genres and I get a feeling the trophy set will end up requiring it for the plat.  Anything with elements of genres I hate like shooters is pretty much a big fat no.  Also, Compile Hearts games tend to be very grindy plats and full of stupid fanservice elements.  I honestly think most of their games aren't worth the time spent playing them.

15 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Do you mean this game?  Definitely not since it says you can change the genres and I get a feeling the trophy set will end up requiring it for the plat.  Anything with elements of genres I hate like shooters is pretty much a big fat no.  Also, Compile Hearts games tend to be very grindy plats and full of stupid fanservice elements.  I honestly think most of their games aren't worth the time spent playing them.

It appears to be more of a VN genre and the trophies seem to reflect that as well.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/death-end-re-quest/trophies/

Edited by kingofbattle8174

5 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

1, is anyone looking into getting the new Compile Hearts game that comes out Tuesday? I am undecided. 

I really like the look of Death end re;Quest and will probably end up getting it eventually.  The one thing I tend to keep in mind about CH games is that they are usually heavily discounted in sales - I remember picking up Omega Quintet and MeiQ for $3.99 in previous sales.  

The trophy list doesn't actually look to be too bad and I'm betting the overall game length is somewhat similar to Mary Skelter

11 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Lastly, I was working on a game for another event and I noticed it somehow qualifies as a RPG. I am not sure how since it is a point and click type game. I am not even sure I want to count it. Since it is a seems like a cheap points grap and not how that type of game can be called an RPG. 

It's been a while since I played The Little Acre (pretty sure this is the one you mean) but I remember it as a pretty straightforward point and click. I don't remember any actual RPG elements being in it other than the kid dressing like it lives in one.

On a side note, was there a decision on the double/triple multiplier applying to the DLC of the chosen game? Making reasonable progress on Skyrim and figured I'd ask again before finishing any of it.

10 hours ago, Kevvik said:

It's been a while since I played The Little Acre (pretty sure this is the one you mean) but I remember it as a pretty straightforward point and click. I don't remember any actual RPG elements being in it other than the kid dressing like it lives in one.

I agree with Kevvik on this, there are no RPG elements in the game excapt for the girl 'Role-Playing' as an adventurer.

14 hours ago, Kevvik said:

3 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I agree with Kevvik on this, there are no RPG elements in the game excapt for the girl 'Role-Playing' as an adventurer.

Yah I know it does not. If you look though through the rpg genre on this site there are some unusual titles that I don’t know how they fit. Life is Strange, both Hatoful Boyfriends, Papers Please, Lego The Hobbit. Yakuza Kiwami is also listed but I can excuse that title because it has a very indepth leveling and skill system close to what you would find in a traditional rpg. 

14 hours ago, Kevvik said:

On a side note, was there a decision on the double/triple multiplier applying to the DLC of the chosen game? Making reasonable progress on Skyrim and figured I'd ask again before finishing any of it.

Yah i think the only stipulation I had was that the base game had to be completed during the contest and not before. I know you are doing skyrim for one of your bonus games I dont have an issus with giving the bonus’s for the dlc’s. More power to you. I made a house at one point, right now I do not think I could do three. 

Talking of skyrim though, did you get the alternate house that lets you display all the claws and all the dragon masks? I love collecting those, especially the claw from the beginning. Stealing it right back after returning it.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Yah I know it does not. If you look though through the rpg genre on this site there are some unusual titles that I don’t know how they fit. Life is Strange, both Hatoful Boyfriends, Papers Please, Lego The Hobbit. Yakuza Kiwami is also listed but I can excuse that title because it has a very indepth leveling and skill system close to what you would find in a traditional rpg. 

I know Hatoful Boyfriend gets the RPG genre because there are points where you have RPG like battles where you have to choose attacks and you can lose and get a bad end, so it has a bit.  Life is Strange probably gets it because it pretty much has sidequests and there are some stats based on how much people like you that determine your chances of success in some things that is very RPG like.

Sometimes it also comes from the fact that a site lacks the actual genre that is the best fit.  I have noticed PSNP doesn't seem to have a visual novel genre listing, so VNs get all sorts of weird labels, most commonly adventure but some get labeled as RPG.  I think what it boils down to is the genre labeling on PSNP has plenty of issues and it's a real shame members can't submit information about games to correct the issues or to even get some games labeled that aren't labeled.  I honestly think any member who has a game on their profile should be permitted to submit missing information or report incorrect information, but no such option exists.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:06 AM, kingofbattle8174 said:

@Leon Castle

I see you completed a title the other day if you want to count it. I have a point total of 106.96 for you. Just confirm it for yourself if that is good and you are considering it an rpg. 

If Senran Kagura Remake really goes under RPG then yes that’s good for me. 

9 minutes ago, Leon Castle said:

If Senran Kagura Remake really goes under RPG then yes that’s good for me. 

I looked more into it, most places qualify it as a action game or hack and slash, I don't know why I assumed it was an RPG.

I am proud to say today though, that I finished the endless domain. I still have to figure out how to S rank the levels. Like if I can one hit kill a boss in one move, I only get a C rank. It is crazy. I had to return it to the library today, so I hope to recheck it out later or if I have to tomorrow.

also picked up Fallout 4 for really cheap.  I hope I do not become too engrossed, we will see.

On 19.2.2019 at 7:30 PM, kingofbattle8174 said:

I looked more into it, most places qualify it as a action game or hack and slash, I don't know why I assumed it was an RPG.

Got a little confused after you called it a RPG as the only Warriors-like game I know that goes under RPG is the Dragon Quest Heroes series. Anyway Started Tales of Vesperia after having watched the prequel Anime Movie also returned to Tales of the Abyss but that's on 3DS so that don't count.

So, that plan about leaving Blademaster unpopped is a no go. Turns out Ultima Weapon is already maxed out, so synthing that one automatically unlocks Blademaster :facepalm: . That's ok though, I have 3 back up plans: either reach lvl 98 and activate Zero EXP, don't use the Ultima Weapon's shotlock for One for the Books, or synthesis all but 1 item for Synthesist.

Kingdom Hearts III is ready to plat, I only have to use Ultima Weapon's shotlock to pop it :dance: . That should yield (100 + 64 - 20.50) * (2 + 0.5) * 2 = 717.50 points. I think? :hmm:... unless the double point multiplier is added to the other multipliers? If so, then it's (100 + 64 - 20.50) * (2 + 0.5 + 2) = 645.75 points.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

@Dragon-Archon

It is the second option so it would be 4.5 multiplier total. and ouch with that total you take a huge flying leap into first. With about a 400 point lead. Of course no one else has completed a double or triple point game yet. I have good progress on mine, at least a few more weeks for mine I believe. @Kevvik Seems to making good progress in Skyrim, and all those DLC's will be a big boost too.

40 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

@Dragon-Archon

It is the second option so it would be 4.5 multiplier total. and ouch with that total you take a huge flying leap into first. With about a 400 point lead. Of course no one else has completed a double or triple point game yet. I have good progress on mine, at least a few more weeks for mine I believe. @Kevvik Seems to making good progress in Skyrim, and all those DLC's will be a big boost too.

I would have had the Ys Origin plat last night if the stupid game hadn't crashed when I was about 1000 experience away from level 60.  Should get that tonight and I may have the Lacrimosa of Dana one this weekend.  They aren't my double point games, but being part of the same series plus a LP will make them worth some nice points. Plus I've also beaten Revenant Dogma and just need the remaining true endings and the post game stuff.  Persona 5 is next up once I finish these three.

Actually did have a couple of questions though.  Would a game count as a new release if it's a port to a different console?  Like the CS1 and CS2 PS4 editions coming out this year.  And also what about a game that could fit into an existing LP that isn't out yet?  I'm debating on importing Ys IX and may change one of my double points to be Ys IX instead.  If it counts for the LP, that would end up being double for the LP, double if I change it, plus another 1 for it being the third in the Ys series and another 0.5 if I finish within 30 days of release, but it's not out until later this year and Japanese games tend to have higher plat rarity in general.  Though at the same time, making CS3 my double is tempting with how many Trails games I could finish up.

1 hour ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

@Dragon-Archon

Awesome :D . I have a question about the Beast Mode bonus: if I plat KH DDD and KH3, does DDD receive a bonus due to it being the second KH game I'll complete during the contest or does the Beast Mode Bonus not apply at all because I've already platted other KH games before the contest started?

35 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I would have had the Ys Origin plat last night if the stupid game hadn't crashed when I was about 1000 experience away from level 60.  Should get that tonight and I may have the Lacrimosa of Dana one this weekend.  They aren't my double point games, but being part of the same series plus a LP will make them worth some nice points. Plus I've also beaten Revenant Dogma and just need the remaining true endings and the post game stuff.  Persona 5 is next up once I finish these three.

Actually did have a couple of questions though.  Would a game count as a new release if it's a port to a different console?  Like the CS1 and CS2 PS4 editions coming out this year.  And also what about a game that could fit into an existing LP that isn't out yet?  I'm debating on importing Ys IX and may change one of my double points to be Ys IX instead.  If it counts for the LP, that would end up being double for the LP, double if I change it, plus another 1 for it being the third in the Ys series and another 0.5 if I finish within 30 days of release, but it's not out until later this year and Japanese games tend to have higher plat rarity in general.  Though at the same time, making CS3 my double is tempting with how many Trails games I could finish up.

Good luck with getting it done, nothing is worse than losing tons of progress over glitches and such. Looks like you will have a good boost in points too shortly. As for the new games yes, If it is new to the console it counts. Half the games released now days are rereleases or remasters. Especially Kemco….    and who ever owns the LP and they add the game to a current one then it will count. So a new Ys game could count if it gets added to the LP.

22 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Awesome :D . I have a question about the Beast Mode bonus: if I plat KH DDD and KH3, does DDD receive a bonus due to it being the second KH game I'll complete during the contest or does the Beast Mode Bonus not apply at all because I've already platted other KH games before the contest started?

DDD would count for Beast mode.

2rd RPG finished

L73aeff.png

100 - 5 - 6.58 = 88.42 + 57 + 0.50 = 145.92

With the Vita's birthday over, I now have two Tales of plats and are working on my 3rd and also working to clear the story on Tales of the Abyss which is the only Tales of I have that is not on a Playstation well it used to be on PS2. also Tales of Vesperia and Tales of the Abyss use the same way the characters learn new skills which is while they fight and the MC on both Tales of have the same set of skills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leon Castle said:

2rd RPG finished

L73aeff.png

100 - 5 - 6.58 = 88.42 + 57 + 0.50 = 145.92

Maybe you're wrong, let's see:

100 base+57 trophies-6.58 platinum rarity-5 completion prior the event start= 145.42+ 72.71(because: 145.42x0.5 beast mode bonus= 72.71)=218.13 points it's that right? @kingofbattle8174

• Like 1