Good way to test controller?

JohnCenaSong-

So, I was playing The Grand Tour to try it out a little and I was having major issues winning anything, though I did get gold first try on a few, most I had silver/bronze or even the toilet award. I attributed it to my lack of driving skill, until I read not only people saying it's super easy but also no one mentioning the drag races in particular, I couldn't win a single one even though I had a perfect start and held the acceleration all the way, what else can I do? I thought, if it's not obvious, someone would have mentioned something somewhere about the drag races.

Well, it got me thinking you see, because whilst I'm not a great driver, I wasn't crashing and most the missions I had issues with were tracks with long straights where I fell behind, or reaching particular speeds and the previously mention drag races. I hear a lot of people get issues with their trigger buttons not registering completely and wondered if maybe my acceleration is limited by a not fully pressed R2.

Thing is, controllers are expensive man and I can't just buy one, especially if it's not actually the problem. The 'fix' I've seen can come with risks, again, not one I want to take, no matter how minor the risk is, if there's nothing actually wrong with it in the first place.

What's a good reliable way to test whether the triggers are responding fully, are there perhaps any good games that respond consistently to this issue I can use as a measure of whether I have the issue? I don't have a PC so any suggestions that involve PC software won't help, sadly.

For example, is there maybe a free game or demo, or game I already own, where, let's say as an example, I could map acceleration to R2 and brakes to something else, and by holding both at the same time I SHOULD remain still, so if my R2 is broken in some way I would end up moving backwards or something. Just an example, but anything that could work as an indicator would be helpful.

Okay, to answer myself and anyone else with similar questions and stuff. With some tinkering my controller is definitely the problem, but, for anyone who wants to test their controller like me interestingly enough The Grand Tour actually works wonders (I used it to test my fixes along the way too, looks like opening it up is the only solution now).

The first drag race, all you do is hold R2 and you win, but also the bar you get at the side should be able to be filled to the top, if it stops before the top then your R2 isn't performing, likewise if you lose the race. I managed to get it to fill (and win) by pressing R2 into the controller inhumanly hard, at the moment I'm trying to open the bloody thing and fix it so I don't need to drop nearly 50 quid on a new one, but, those screws can go die in a fire, they don't even budge.