ps vita - take or wait for a new one?

Hattori_ua

As of right now, the chances of a successor to the Vita coming out are less than slim. Even if one did come out, there's no guarantee that it'll be compatible with Vita carts, so if I were you, I'd just get a Vita as fast as possible. Production in Japan is going to be ending shortly and they're going to become very expensive very soon.

• Like 1

I'd definitely recommend getting a vita. There's a lot of great games for it, especially if you like Japanese games. 

Like some other people above had said, there is no indication that there will be another portable system anytime soon, so you might as well get a vita now if you're interested in it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jelloycat said:

I'd definitely recommend getting a vita. There's a lot of great games for it, especially if you like Japanese games. 

Like some other people above had said, there is no indication that there will be another portable system anytime soon, so you might as well get a vita now if you're interested in it. 

Well said...

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

As of right now, the chances of a successor to the Vita coming out are less than slim. Even if one did come out, there's no guarantee that it'll be compatible with Vita carts, so if I were you, I'd just get a Vita as fast as possible. Production in Japan is going to be ending shortly and they're going to become very expensive very soon.

Sad but true.

1 hour ago, alicexshy said:

Avoid the vita, that handheld console has been dead for years.Thinking about selling mine sometime soon. Better off getting a new 3DS even if you're not a fan of nintendo, it has much more potential than the vita ever had since launch. 

This thread wasn't asking about the Nintendo 3DS.

1 hour ago, alicexshy said:

Avoid the vita, that handheld console has been dead for years.Thinking about selling mine sometime soon. Better off getting a new 3DS even if you're not a fan of nintendo, it has much more potential than the vita ever had since launch. 

Cool story.

If it's been dead for years then why do you still have one? OP makes no mention about 3DS either so I guess you're in the wrong thread :dunno:

3 hours ago, cmdr_komo said:

ps vita
I think to take this console, and maybe a new version will be released soon? what thoughts?

A successor to PS Vita is extremely unlikely but never say never. I'd say it's worth buying if you can find one at a competitive price, plus there's a good range of games available for it. I still play mine daily :)

If you're on the fence about getting one then I would advise getting one sooner rather than later before the prices start to creep up with production of them ending his year. I've just ordered a back-up Vita myself.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of portable compatibility when it comes to PS5 though. Maybe in the form of an add-on accessory. Sony and Microsoft will have both noticed the success Nintendo have had with Switch.

5 hours ago, cmdr_komo said:

ps vita
I think to take this console, and maybe a new version will be released soon? what thoughts?

ps 5, as I understand, will be released in 2020

Just get the VITA now. You have so much catching up to do in terms of games. It should keep you busy for a year or two or more depending if you into different genres. Also so many games you can get cheap. What more could you ask for in terms of TROPHIES ON THE GO.

• Like 1

Switch is the future portable. I doubt Sony will dare challenge it and many 3rd party devs already jumped the ship. Get that if you want to look forward to new releases.

However, if you want trophies and the existing games, then the sooner the better. For the sake of online trophies and also I think the hardware (memory cards and the console itself) and some physical cartridges will only go up in price as time passes.

In any case, I find it's great to have a Vita (or Switch) for afk grinding or sitting at less populated mp-lobbies. Surely helps to feel like I'm not wasting my time completely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alicexshy said:

A system being "dead" doesn't nulenvoid it's library.  If I never had a SNES and asked if I should get one would you use the same logic?  SNES is dead, don't bother.  

The Vita is low enough in price now that picking one up, not for future games, but for it's past library is a perfectly valid reason.  Not to mention, it's the best way to play PS1 and PSP games from the Playstation store.

Also Op, I wouldn't count on a successor to the Vita.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, visighost said:

OP might have been referring to the rumours that the PS5 would come with a Switch-like 5G portable. Nothing has been confirmed yet though, so I'd go ahead and get a Vita if you have long commutes or like to play in bed or on the can!

I don't need a confirmation in order to tell you that the PS5 won't be portable and will be using Bluray discs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cmdr_komo said:

ps vita

ps 5, as I understand, will be released in 2020

If you're looking for a new handheld from Sony, you'll probably wait a long time. If you are hoping that the PS5 is like the Switch, that's a possibility, although I've found that no one seems to be able to do periphery and extras like Nintendo, so Sony might steer clear of even that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

If you're looking for a new handheld from Sony, you'll probably wait a long time. If you are hoping that the PS5 is like the Switch, that's a possibility, although I've found that no one seems to be able to do periphery and extras like Nintendo, so Sony might steer clear of even that.

Debatable. I can't think of any peripheral Nintendo have done that Sony hasn't done better. Even the Switch, which as underpowered as it is right now in comparison to this generations offerings, will look archaic by the time the PS5/Xbox Two come out.

Just now, DaikichiKawachi said:

Debatable. I can't think of any peripheral Nintendo have done that Sony hasn't done better. Even the Switch, which as underpowered as it is right now in comparison to this generations offerings, will look archaic by the time the PS5/Xbox Two come out.

Oh, I wasn't even talking about quality of periphery (I hate most all of it). But Nintendo seems to be able to sell it (in droves) unlike Sony or MS.