question about death note (major spoilers!)

yiazmat50112254

just thought of something,

the shinigami eye deal means you trade half your lifespan to get teh shinigami eyes, which allows you to see someone elses name and lifespan. but i was curious, what would happen if kira would have took the eyes? 

obviously it would half his lifespan, but in which way? as we know, in the end kira was killed by near (literally ryuk, but near is the reason) in other words, if he took the deal he would have known his name by just looking at him, making it unnessecary to use his plan and kill him anyway. in otehr words, if he knew his name he would still be alive. so taking the deal means his lifespan is cut in half, but the actual death would be negated because of it. so does that mean he would have actually lived longer by taking the deal? or would he have died in half that time anyway even though his death would have been negated? or would itbecome half the time the next time he would have died?

I think you've discovered a paradox. 

Unless the "halving of lifespan" refers to that person's lifespan by natural (i.e. not death note or shinigami related) causes...?

It doesn't really make sense either way, because it assumes that the person who took the deal's future is known. What if they took up smoking, or got massively obese, etc, after taking the deal? Would the halving-of-lifespan then apply to the new projected lifespan after these bad habits are taken up, or would the person who took the deal be able to wreck their body without fear that it would lead to an even earlier death?

The way i understood it is that any way a person dies, if by natural causes, an accident or even murder, it would be considered the 'predestined' way for that person to die on so the rest of their lifespan would take that into account.

The only exception being if a person dies through a death note, since it is not originally part of the human world nor supposed to be there, it would be an unforeseen death and as such happen before the lifespan ends.

It's been awhile since I watched the anime or read the manga, but I always imagined that the eyes give you the power to see others life span when current habits/circumstances being applied. You can make the exact argument for when Rem sacrifices herself for Misa (which is a whole can of worms of itself).

Not trying to try to make logic out of this anime, but if I remember correctly on one of the first episodes Ryuk told Light that he was the one that will write his name in his Death Note. So Ryuk theoretically could have decided that at any moment, not when Light was about to die at the end.

Also fun fact for the day: the numbers that were above characters heads were not just random numbers. They actually represented the person's remaining life span if you put the numbers through a complex math formula. Funny enough the creator of Death Note forgot how the formula worked, so they just became a bunch of random numbers.

Edited by Starrk_01