NightCry Vita release coming on Jan 31st 2019

tnaires

This title was announced some years ago, but at this time I thought a Vita release was not going to happen anymore.

And suddenly Playism says the Vita release is going to be available on January 31st, 2019. I don't know if it's a good game or not, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Official website: http://www.night-cry.com/

Trailer: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Update for people as the EU version was mentioned. It took like a whole year later but the EU version did come out. It is as broken and a mess as I heard the American Vita version was in case you thought they would actually make some improvements in all that time.

I didn't bother reading reviews and honestly expected it to run like the PC version so it shocked me quite badly when I saw just how badly it ran. What I can say is that it is at it's worst on the first chapter and if you get past that then it does feel more tolerable. Regardless the game freezes in place for a little bit every time it autosaves, when the Scissorwalker is chasing you the games camera and framerate just craps itself hard. Transitions from scenes to chases are not good either as often it puts you looking at the characters feet without the enemy yet loaded in so you then see him pop in. Animations are a mess and sometimes just skip. Load times are annoying in how everything gives you one, but some clicks where it loads a cutscene or in one case I remember a radio for you to turn the dial on... like a whole minute of loading, absurd. Graphics? As someone who saw the PC version I was simply amazed... only characters are actually done up, everything else like carpets, pictures, bottles, you name it looks a complete mess... like, it has been a long time but this is like PS1 level stuff, if that. 

I imagine the game looks like such a graphical mess because if they actually had all the textures load in it would have literally made the game unplayable. As it stands it runs like crap but does work and doesn't crash which is very impressive indeed on how they got something running so badly and yet not crashing. Oh, of note is I did say that the character models at least look right... but one of the characters in one of the endings does have their model go all wrong... in the best ending... they didn't even bother to fix something so glaring as you are looking at the character with them dead in the centre of the screen.

As for the game itself. It certainly has elements you can say "hey Clock Tower", heck it even has a stupid successor to the Samurai Armour in Jessica who if you don't find in the first chapter condemns you to randomly dying (they can call it an ending if they like, it is still cutting you off from the real ending) later. Why does not finding Jessica condemn you as such? No reason given. There is a phone call later from Jessica which would be post her being dead but... what she says is it seems for a dropped plot thread and... the character who receives the call is not the one that finds her body so said character has no way of knowing that Jessica is dead. Oh, and know I said successor? I said singular because Jessica is who fits best but there is another thing in the first chapter which condemns you later which is not finding the wedding ring. Oh and things not being done and randomly ending your game later is not the issue here. The final chapter has many of those, but here is the thing. They kill you soon after and going back to fix what you missed is quick, the flowchart even points it out to you. The chapter 1 ones kill you in chapter 3 meaning you have to redo the whole game again to get past their kill points. 

Spoilers you might wonder up above there? I guess, but chapter 1 and honestly... you want to be spoiled on the above. If you complete chapter 1 and don't have the wedding ring nor have found Jessica than go back because you're just wasting your time going forward without them.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Just finished/platinumed this mess of a game, and while it didn't ever hard crash on me (which is kinda impressive in and of itself), it did freeze on me on FOUR separate occasions, all during loading screens, which forced me to close the game and start it back up. Twice were during the transition of chapter 3 scene 5 to scene 6, so I assume there was something particularly problematic with that one.

I literally experienced my first game breaking (if you can call it that, it was fixable at least) bug in the first 10 minutes of the game. After I got my first item, I guess my item menu never popped up, and there I was confused about how I was supposed to use the item, watched a few seconds of a video walkthrough, and noticed they had some little menu icon in the top right corner that I didn't have. Cool. I restarted the game, which put me right back the start again, at least I can mostly skip the dialogue, and thankfully my menu appeared like it was supposed to this time. Great first impressions.

Had another weird one later on in chapter 3 where I just suddenly couldn't move after a loading screen. Left stick just wouldn't do anything, despite it working fine on my Vita's menu when I backed out to that to check. So I went back to the title screen and reloaded, same deal. It fixed itself after I completely reboot the game.

Then we have the horrendous slowdown, insanely long loading screens, crappy graphics and animations, "horrors" not triggering how they're supposed to (sometimes apparently triggering even though you never saw them), etc. etc. The game was just clearly not optimised well for the Vita at all, but even without all the technical issues, it just isn't a very good game. No idea what the patches fixed, because it was still a technical shitstorm in 2021.

I wish I could like this game, since I enjoy the Clock Tower series. The one saving grace I will say this game has, is that it's still better than Clock Tower "2" (The Struggle Within/Ghost Head) at least, that still remains one of the worst games I've ever played by a long shot. I did have some enjoyment playing Nightcry, enjoyment in the sense it's "so bad it's good", but not quite on the same scale as say, Deadly Premonition (which was actually enjoyable in the sense it had me invested in its story and characters, can't say the same for Nightcry). I can't say I ever felt legitimately scared or creeped out at all. I had one cutscene where Scissorwalker appears, and then your character and him just proceed to stare at each other for like 10-15 seconds (I don't think this is meant to happen), which just kills all suspense and feels like it's unintentionally trying to be some kind of bad black comedy. That's just one example of many as well, the long loading screens and 1-5 FPS definitely do their best of sapping out any "scary" this game may have potentially had.

Anyhow, I know I'm basically ranting to the void, but man was this game a huge disappointment, and I was already expecting it to be a disappointment. I don't know how it's possible to top that.

• Like 3