melodicmizery

this game sucks compared to jc3

67 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

The chaos is not useless. It has less impact simply because of the game's new progression system, which makes absolute sense. (The game would be unbalanced otherwise because of the main objective never being liberation through property destruction.) On the contrary, the action is better in JC4, especially with it having the strongest heat system in the series. Explosions are visual effects and nothing more, so it being toned down, which was clearly necessary for a better running and more innovative game via the multi-weather system, is a minor complaint at best not at all worth blowing out of proportion and calling JC4 a huge step back over. Most of what makes Just Cause what it is is still very much intact in JC4. Rico controls better and the core mechanics and physics are still at a high(er) level.

The funny thing about your repetition point is that JC4 would be more repetitive if it kept the same formula that JC2 and JC3 focused on. People already call JC3 JC2.5. Same remarks would be made for JC4 if the main thing was to yet again spend a double numerical amount of time liberating base after base after base with chaotic actions for the third time in a row.

Perhaps “useless” was an over exaggeration, I only meant that one of the criticisms I have seen of this game is that the chaos system doesn’t play as big a role in the game. And I can understand that, as the chaos system in JC4 was cool, but didn’t really seem to have much of a purpose beyond locking some rewards behind it (ie. extra pilots).

I also felt like lvl 14 being the max chaos level was quite excessive, as by the time I finished every trophy in the game (including all DLCs) I had only reached lvl 11. And if it wasn’t for that trick that farms 200k chaos/min, I can’t even imagine how much extra time I would have spent just roaming the map and blowing stuff up. It would have extended my time playing this game by another 2-3 days at least.

As for the repetition point, I feel like could have easily spiced up the game by introducing a little more variety to the types of missions and activities you can do. There’s really only a handful of different kinds of missions though, and you repeat them over and over again throughout the story. Everything else in the game too, from the stunts, to the DLCs, were basically structured exactly the same way.

If you hadn’t gathered it from my previous posts yet, I haven’t played JC 2 & 3 so I cannot compare. This was my first Just Cause game, and I was only trying to say that while I can understand that while much of the criticism this game has received is valid, I was surprised to find that it actually exceeded my expectations and was more fun than I thought it would be.

The requirements for the trophies dragged on a little too long (took me nearly 2 weeks to complete), but other than that I generally enjoyed my time with it. It’s a great game to just relax, put on some music on Spotify, and wingsuit around the map causing destruction and clearing stunts. 🙂

Posted (edited)

I also felt like lvl 14 being the max chaos level was quite excessive, as by the time I finished every trophy in the game (including all DLCs) I had only reached lvl 11. And if it wasn’t for that trick that farms 200k chaos/min, I can’t even imagine how much extra time I would have spent just roaming the map and blowing stuff up. It would have extended my time playing this game by another 2-3 days at least.

Trophies aren't part of the topic. But to add my two cent, JC4's platinum is tedious to get just like JC3's. I don't think I can say I enjoyed platinum hunting in JC4, but that doesn't affect the game's actual quality. And with how flexible trophy design can be, any decent sized game, of any quality, can easily become insanely repetitive for trophy hunters if designed so.

As for the repetition point, I feel like could have easily spiced up the game by introducing a little more variety to the types of missions and activities you can do. There’s really only a handful of different kinds of missions though, and you repeat them over and over again throughout the story. Everything else in the game too, from the stunts, to the DLCs, were basically structured exactly the same way.

In terms of other gameplay features, I am aware that the stunts are somewhat inferior in JC4 (even though there's no interrupting loading screen in-between and they're easier to transition into from free-roaming), which might have been a decision based on fan feedback from JC3. Tying trophies to doing them all is a terrible idea, one bad enough to likely prevent me from getting platinum again on another account, though. 

Missions is a complicated topic. There's an actual good amount of variety (there's a lot of different objectives and even the same types don't always function the same) when looked at as a whole system. To save a lot of text, if all the missions were able to be tackled at any point in the game and in any order, the variety would be more apparent (yet at the sametime the player would be overwhelmed from such a large list). Similar mechanics used throughout multiple missions types, like flipping a breaker or a background timer, also (likely) adds to the delusion that missions have little variety. From time to time missions are spiced up with things like unique level design and/or interrupting weather mechanics, such as that one base with multiple inclined ramps spaced between gaps, with the player having to move a guy using them before protecting him during his panel hacks, or the devastating weather storms appearing during your car stunts with Garland or ones taking place in them like the Sargento training mission with the immobile trainees trapped in the middle of a sandstorm and surrounded by snipers, respectively.

DLC. Haven't played that yet. I'll get around to it in the not too distant future. I figure since it'll likely be easy enough that I can hold off on it until a later point in time. I also expect it to be a fun distraction/break away from whatever demanding games I completed prior to it.

If you hadn’t gathered it from my previous posts yet, I haven’t played JC 2 & 3 so I cannot compare. This was my first Just Cause game, and I was only trying to say that while I can understand that while much of the criticism this game has received is valid, I was surprised to find that it actually exceeded my expectations and was more fun than I thought it would be.

I know. That's part of why I commented. 

The requirements for the trophies dragged on a little too long (took me nearly 2 weeks to complete), but other than that I generally enjoyed my time with it. It’s a great game to just relax, put on some music on Spotify, and wingsuit around the map causing destruction and clearing stunts. 1f642.png

Unfortunately, trophy collecting is always a chore with the the JC series in general. JC is a series for gameplay enthusiast, with active experimentation, who truly enjoy openworld sandbox-based games. It's made for a certain audience and it in fact good for what it sets out to be. JC2 was great for its time, but at this point it can't be considered a good or exceptional "physics-based sandbox game" like the series is advertised as when directly compared to its sequels. The gameplay has just been improved too much.

Edited by EcoShifter

On 1/27/2019 at 5:20 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

As others have said JC3 is one of the most boring maps I have ever seen. It was just so huge an empty that it added 0 to the game. JC2 is one my favourite PS3 games and JC3 was a huge let down to the point I never want to play another Just Cause game again.

Does this still apply with the season pass?

58 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

DLC. Haven't played that yet. I'll get around to it in the not too distant future. I figure since it'll likely be easy enough that I can hold off on it until a later point in time. I also expect it to be a fun distraction/break away from whatever demanding games I completed prior to it.

I can’t respond to everything you said, but you made some good points and you’ve encouraged me further to check out JC3 when I get a chance. I’ll be keeping an eye out for it in the future. 🙂

Also, the DLCs were pretty cool. The alien one wasn’t great in my opinion, they tried to ramp up the difficulty a little bit, but the way they did it was really obnoxious. The entire DLC consists of going into a bunch of bubbled infestation zones, and taking steps to destroy a big egg/hive thing in the middle. But you’re completely bombarded with aliens shooting bombs and hurling their exploding bodies at you, and the environments are so overrun with gnarled, twisted growths that it makes it fairly difficult to navigate without constantly getting accidentally stuck on objects or latching on to the wrong thing. Besides a couple new weapons, there’s not much to it.

The other two were pretty cool though. The Danger Rising DLC gives you a hoverboard which is extremely useful and fun to use, and introduces some hoverboard courses after finishing everything else. And the other DLC with the cars was my favourite, it introduces a bunch of combat-racing style vehicle courses and was a lot of fun to play. It’s quite different than anything in the main game so it was a nice change of pace. Hope you enjoy it too!

7 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Also, the DLCs were pretty cool. The alien one wasn’t great in my opinion, they tried to ramp up the difficulty a little bit, but the way they did it was really obnoxious. The entire DLC consists of going into a bunch of bubbled infestation zones, and taking steps to destroy a big egg/hive thing in the middle. But you’re completely bombarded with aliens shooting bombs and hurling their exploding bodies at you, and the environments are so overrun with gnarled, twisted growths that it makes it fairly difficult to navigate without constantly getting accidentally stuck on objects or latching on to the wrong thing. Besides a couple new weapons, there’s not much to it.

I basically cheated the Los Demonios DLC by using the Skystriker wingsuit. All i did was shooting stuff from a safe distance lmao.

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Does this still apply with the season pass?

Your question is based on his claim. But before answering that I would have to say the world, generally, isn't that bad. I've seen much worse designed worlds in other games, with little to no verticality, lack of various biomes, weather effects, wildlife, environmental interactivity, temples/caverns, etc. But in comparison to other entries in the JC series, JC3's world is among one of if not the weakest, though.

Each of the three packs brings at least one new location to the sky, sea, and ground. It technically adds to the world, visually and physically and you can visit them seamlessly, but it's not a new game or a map—it just adds more to the already existing world, so despite what it does it still won't be enough for a player not even interested in what the base world has to offer.

13 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I can’t respond to everything you said, but you made some good points and you’ve encouraged me further to check out JC3 when I get a chance. I’ll be keeping an eye out for it in the future. 1f642.png

The other two were pretty cool though. The Danger Rising DLC gives you a hoverboard which is extremely useful and fun to use, and introduces some hoverboard courses after finishing everything else. And the other DLC with the cars was my favourite, it introduces a bunch of combat-racing style vehicle courses and was a lot of fun to play. It’s quite different than anything in the main game so it was a nice change of pace. Hope you enjoy it too!

I wasn't trying to encourage you to check out JC3, though. I don't think I can even recommend it because of the serious framerate inconsistencies.

I've been informed of the other two DLCs, but I didn't know one of them had aliens. That'll be interesting. When I get them, I'll definitely provide some brief thoughts at least. The driving is competent and refined enough in JC4 to the point where I can call it fun, especially since the physics with cars aren't crazy when you collide into things like rocks or sliding/turn over from free stunts and accidents. (Very well balanced. So many times I expected the cars I drove to just keep moving forward when drove off high points/steep slopes or to dramatically turn over repeatedly from certain things, but it didn't happen). So I expect to have fun with the vehicle based DLC.

Edited by EcoShifter

On 1/5/2021 at 6:37 PM, EcoShifter said:

The funny thing about your repetition point is that JC4 would be more repetitive if it kept the same formula that JC2 and JC3 focused on. People already call JC3 JC2.5. Same remarks would be made for JC4 if the main thing was to yet again spend a double numerical amount of time liberating base after base after base with chaotic actions for the third time in a row.

uhhh so why make 3 borderland games if they are the same as the first. why has call of duty always been the same and sold billions. jc4 should of been more of jc2 and jc3. thats why its a jc title. people kind of want the same game repeated with new maps basically. 

2 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

uhhh so why make 3 borderland games if they are the same as the first. why has call of duty always been the same and sold billions. jc4 should of been more of jc2 and jc3. thats why its a jc title. people kind of want the same game repeated with new maps basically. 

You can't just bring up any game series that suits your point, it needs to be a valid comparison. For x reason, some formulas work well enough to be used over and over. Others either don't work well enough or are in need of major changes. With Pokemon's mainline game series, older fans (20s, 30s, etc) have gotten tired of the same similar formula since the first of what is now eight generations. The reason the series sells so well is primarily because of kids. Now Call of Duty is an especially poor comparison because a large part of its demographic are a special group of kids/teens who don't mind the repetition within the series as much as older players. Plus, there's statistical evidence proving a weird bias for the shooting genre; something about shooting and killing that just never gets old, especially since CoD particularly has among the most refined shooting mechanics in the FPS genre. The series has also actually mixed things up a few times to say the least, with abilities like wall running and exosuits and whatever else I've possibly missed. You've also ignored the appeal the series has because of very popular features likes zombies, especially with how much it's been innovating since its debut in WaW (better easter eggs, story, level design, etc).

Haven't played B3 yet, but the Borderland series is another weird example. Between the first game's limitations in how much greater the series could have been, the various quality game design systems (world, soundtrack, humor, RPG gameplay, coop gameplay, looting, content, characters, etc), and the fact that there hasn't been exactly a lot of installments, it's too soon for people to be burnt out from the series. The Pre-sequel installment may be a full standalone game, but it's not a full scale Borderlands game and was in-part made to buy time for B3 which was already in development. As stated before, Borderlands was basically groundbreaking when it first released but there was room for improvement; B2 took it to another level, but it's also only the first sequel at this point. The series in general just particularly does a lot right and has a lot going on, is ridiculously fun, clearly has a lot of effort put into it, and had its third major installment recently released under two years ago.

But the main point with JC is repetition, not precisely the way that JC has gone about executing its progression system since JC2. Even if it were the point, JC4's progression is a hybrid of JC2 and JC3; chaos and missions both progress the story. The freedom to tackle settlements/bases in desired order and the liberation system are still a core part of the gameplay, too (as well as the stunts, hijacking, etc, that the series has been known for).  So it is more of JC2 and JC3, just with less focus on destroying the red colored government property.

Edited by EcoShifter

@EcoShifter

Just Cause 2 didn’t age well. One thing I did like was being able to fast travel and then fly your way down, open the parachute, then sort of sneak your way to an enemy base. The collectibles were a chore. I’m glad the trophy only had you do 75 percent, because if I had to go 100 percent I would of lost my sanity. Which I hear is impossible to get anyway from what someone told me. 

Just Cause 3 had serious framerate problems and there were connection issues with Square Enix’s servers. I ended up playing the game offline after I dealt with the online trophies. You had the challenges just like in JC2, but were more difficult. Specifically the Wingsuit challenges, and you have to gain all the gears in those challenges for the platinum.  That’s a good reason why JC3 is an ultra rare. 

I only dabbled in JC4 for a bit. Story is every bit as nonsensical and mediocre as it’s always been, but chaos was changed with this entry. They changed things up from JC3. The framerate is a lot better and the game runs more smoothly, which is a huge plus. So far, the game is rather meh to me. 

Pokemon suffers from being formulaic, as you pointed out. But you have to consider the first generation fans are now well in their 30s and older, meaning most of them have probably moved on. They’re no longer kids sitting in a school bus playing Pokémon excessively like they did decades ago. It just got old for me. I loved the old Gameboy Color games, but as time moved on I grew tired of the same formula being used over and over. Loved that one Pikachu game on the N64, also played Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2.  

Call of Duty has zombies, but also has long time appeal through its multiplayer. The series has gone downhill for me since Black Ops 1. Modern Warfare 2 was the high point in the franchise. I’m still waiting to hear for a remake on World at War and Modern Warfare 3. If those two games are remade as well as Modern Warfare 1 & 2 were, they should be a lot of fun.

Edited by Spaz

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

@EcoShifter
Just Cause 2 didn’t age well. 

JC2 actually has a weird variety of things that have aged well and things that haven't. It's aged well in considerable areas, like physics (mostly), explosions (more important back then than today), graphics, diverse environments via multiple biomes and industrial locations, etc, especially on PC (a lot of games have generally aged better on it than consoles, which people often don't take into account), while the sequels have been doing a great job at refining past issues or limitations with things like the grappling hook's strength with heavier objects, A.I. behavior, checkpoints, driving and character controls, etc. While at this point I still would not agree with it being the best JC game, there is some merit to its still prominent popularity and praise today, similar to why Crysis and Far Cry 3 (not just because of Vaas) are still praised today, too.

I only dabbled in JC4 for a bit. Story is every bit as nonsensical and mediocre as it’s always been, but chaos was changed with this entry. They changed things up from JC3. The framerate is a lot better and the game runs more smoothly, which is a huge plus. So far, the game is rather meh to me.

Noone is calling the stories in JC games masterpieces or excellently written, but there are some quality aspects to the story and definitely improvements each release, and it's been getting less goofy and more grounded, as the developers have specifically spoken about in interviews. It's definitely not on par with the first two games.' Things like character interactions and line deliveries are often not just better but well done too. Chaos is changed every installment. JC3 had already revamped "Chaos" by making it an optional system that not only isn't tied to story progression anymore but also the means to unlock other items. JC4 continues JC3 change but makes chaos important again to the story progression in the form of squad reserves, whom do the liberating after sufficient chaos is caused.

I've seen your posts around regarding multiple openworld games. You've expressed not finding them engaging or particularly good, yet you keep playing them. Even as a persistent trophy hunter you should be aware you can't complete every series, so I don't see why you constantly put up with the series that have proven time and time again aren't to your personal liking. Sure, some series greatly revamp their formula, which is rare, but series like the aforementioned are already deeply defined by what they have been.

Pokemon suffers from being formulaic, as you pointed out. But you have to consider the first generation fans are now well in their 30s and older, meaning most of them have probably moved on. They’re no longer kids sitting in a school bus playing Pokémon excessively like they did decades ago. It just got old for me. I loved the old Gameboy Color games, but as time moved on I grew tired of the same formula being used over and over. 

I've already considered that. But something else to consider is that later generations of people, like in their 20s, are also part of the side criticizing the formula. But when you have such a large group of people defending and wanting more series like Uncharted, including those who not only played the four major games but Golden Abyss and Lost Legacy in addition, a strongly formulaic (and scripted) series in both story construction and gameplay, it's hard to take relevant formula based topics seriously.

I'd prefer stepping in dogshit every time I go outside rather than restarting this game

on top of the menus being bad and everything you said, the game is just way too big and long, everything feels like padding, maybe it's just me but it really makes it a chore to play, JC2 was pretty good though.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:48 AM, EcoShifter said:

JC2 actually has a weird variety of things that have aged well and things that haven't. It's aged well in considerable areas, like physics (mostly), explosions (more important back then than today), graphics, diverse environments via multiple biomes and industrial locations, etc, especially on PC (a lot of games have generally aged better on it than consoles, which people often don't take into account), while the sequels have been doing a great job at refining past issues or limitations with things like the grappling hook's strength with heavier objects, A.I. behavior, checkpoints, driving and character controls, etc. While at this point I still would not agree with it being the best JC game, there is some merit to its still prominent popularity and praise today, similar to why Crysis and Far Cry 3 (not just because of Vaas) are still praised today, too.

There’s a good reason for that. PC has the best mods. Consoles are severely limited due to hardware limitations. Sony themselves aren’t exactly giant fans of the modding communities. Also, a good majority of gamers in my age range play on Steam, which I can definitely say is more popular than the PlayStation 5. 

I definitely heard Just Cause 4 having better driving controls, which is a major plus since both JC2 and JC3 had horrid driving. 

No one is calling the stories in JC games masterpieces or excellently written, but there are some quality aspects to the story and definitely improvements each release, and it's been getting less goofy and more grounded, as the developers have specifically spoken about in interviews. It's definitely not on par with the first two games.' Things like character interactions and line deliveries are often not just better but well done too. Chaos is changed every installment. JC3 had already revamped "Chaos" by making it an optional system that not only isn't tied to story progression anymore but also the means to unlock other items. JC4 continues JC3 change but makes chaos important again to the story progression in the form of squad reserves, whom do the liberating after sufficient chaos is caused.

I would put Just Cause above Saints Row in terms of story. It definitely improved with JC3, perhaps because I was so attached to Ezio from Assassin’s Creed I was glad to hear the same voice actor would do Rico in Just Cause. Voice acting is definitely better, but the story structure is nothing special. Granted, Uncharted didn’t have a great story either, it was the charm of Nathan Drake and the Hollywood esque action sequences that kept people hooked. 

I can’t say how chaos works in Just Cause 4, but it sounds like it’s not as important as it was in Just Cause 2. But while in JC2 you were screwing around with destroying enemy bases and finding awful collectibles, in later installments there seems to be more of an actual purpose. I’ll be playing Just Cause 4 soon to finish up the series. 

I've seen your posts around regarding multiple openworld games. You've expressed not finding them engaging or particularly good, yet you keep playing them. Even as a persistent trophy hunter you should be aware you can't complete every series, so I don't see why you constantly put up with the series that have proven time and time again aren't to your personal liking. Sure, some series greatly revamp their formula, which is rare, but series like the aforementioned are already deeply defined by what they have been.

I’m a perfectionist when it comes to trophy hunting. Having just one or two games of a series isn’t good enough, I have to finish all the games in the series. Leaving a game undone or unkept just doesn’t satisfy me. 

I’ve played a lot of games I didn’t like. That’s not just AAA games, there are plenty of bad indie games I’ve played such as Orc Slayer and Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space that I would never do again. A trophy hunter to me is someone who not only enjoys trophies, but someone who has experienced both the bad and the good. 

You can’t complete every series, that is correct. I’m rather picky with what I play on my list, so I already pick which series I want to finish. That doesn’t always mean I will finish the series, but I put effort towards them. 

The open world games I have on my backlog are mostly ones that are part of a series, and again, I’m not really satisfied until the whole series is done. That’s just my standards. Having a high completion rate is another standard of mine. 

That doesn’t mean I dislike every single open world game. Yakuza is a series I wholeheartedly intend on starting, and Mafia: Definitive Edition looks appealing by the story and time period alone. 

I’ve already considered that. But something else to consider is that later generations of people, like in their 20s, are also part of the side criticizing the formula. But when you have such a large group of people defending and wanting more series like Uncharted, including those who not only played the four major games but Golden Abyss and Lost Legacy in addition, a strongly formulaic (and scripted) series in both story construction and gameplay, it's hard to take relevant formula based topics seriously.

In short, you’re simply stating the discussion has been beaten to death.

On 2021-01-06 at 3:24 PM, Lance_87 said:

I basically cheated the Los Demonios DLC by using the Skystriker wingsuit. All i did was shooting stuff from a safe distance lmao.

I didn’t even know the Skystriker Wingsuit existed until the day before I got the platinum! Needless to say I was pretty pissed off lol. 😡

I’d bet a ton of people who bought the expansion pass also missed out on this suit, because it’s too easy to overlook the Just Cause 4: Reloaded Content Pack in the store. I downloaded all the DLCs individually and still never noticed that this separate pack was available and included with the expansion pass. If I hadn’t stumbled across a thread where somebody mentioned the suit in passing, I never would have Googled it and realized I missed out.

It’s a damn shame too because once I tried it out, I’d say that wingsuit is arguably the most useful gadget in the entire game. Even better than the hoverboard. The wingsuit rocket pack makes traversing the environment 10x faster, especially when it comes to things like climbing really large buildings or getting to the top of a mountain quickly, and the rocket weapon is really OP and would have come in handy for many things. I think I read that it can be levelled up by using it during the wingsuit challenges too. So having it from the beginning of the game would be really useful.

21 hours ago, Spaz said:

There’s a good reason for that. PC has the best mods. Consoles are severely limited due to hardware limitations. Sony themselves aren’t exactly giant fans of the modding communities. Also, a good majority of gamers in my age range play on Steam, which I can definitely say is more popular than the PlayStation 5. 

I'm referring to the game without the mods.

I definitely heard Just Cause 4 having better driving controls, which is a major plus since both JC2 and JC3 had horrid driving. 

JC3 had also notably improved the driving from JC2. JC4 just improved it further, and it's the best it's ever been.

I can’t say how chaos works in Just Cause 4, but it sounds like it’s not as important as it was in Just Cause 2. But while in JC2 you were screwing around with destroying enemy bases and finding awful collectibles, in later installments there seems to be more of an actual purpose. I’ll be playing Just Cause 4 soon to finish up the series. 

It's still important to say the least, technically more important than in JC3, because of its link to story progression.

I’m a perfectionist when it comes to trophy hunting. Having just one or two games of a series isn’t good enough, I have to finish all the games in the series. Leaving a game undone or unkept just doesn’t satisfy me. 

I’ve played a lot of games I didn’t like. That’s not just AAA games, there are plenty of bad indie games I’ve played such as Orc Slayer and Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space that I would never do again. A trophy hunter to me is someone who not only enjoys trophies, but someone who has experienced both the bad and the good. 

You can’t complete every series, that is correct. I’m rather picky with what I play on my list, so I already pick which series I want to finish. That doesn’t always mean I will finish the series, but I put effort towards them. 

The open world games I have on my backlog are mostly ones that are part of a series, and again, I’m not really satisfied until the whole series is done. That’s just my standards. Having a high completion rate is another standard of mine. 

That doesn’t mean I dislike every single open world game. Yakuza is a series I wholeheartedly intend on starting, and Mafia: Definitive Edition looks appealing by the story and time period alone. 

Alright, but I typically still see more complaints or criticisms from you regarding openworld games, even ones you haven't played and/or have no interest in getting, like Ghost of Tshisuma and Days Gone iirc.

I would put Just Cause above Saints Row in terms of story. It definitely improved with JC3, perhaps because I was so attached to Ezio from Assassin’s Creed I was glad to hear the same voice actor would do Rico in Just Cause. Voice acting is definitely better, but the story structure is nothing special. Granted, Uncharted didn’t have a great story either, it was the charm of Nathan Drake and the Hollywood esque action sequences that kept people hooked. 

Yes it has, but again, the point isn't about being special. Story as in things like certain plot points and character moments, of which the older games didn't do as much as a good job on. I'm very familiar with Uncharted; I play and get the platinum in all of Naughty Dog's games, which always requires multiple playthroughs. What you said still doesn't rationalize why its overall repetitive design is not just (seemingly) rarely spoken about but basically overlooked. It's not like it has the compelling exploration of searching tombs anywhere near the extent of Tomb Raider or its skill-based climbing/platforming, or popular RPG mechanics that have been accepted in non-RPG games, or anything else similar to remedy the series' very repetitive, very scripted, very streamlined design overall (of course outside charming characters and a well enough told story. . . speaking gp-wise). Most of the good non-story related parts are sporadically spaced inbetween and/or few and far a part the uninteresting combat, climbing, and sometimes puzzle sections. Prioritizing story, especially in an action based genre, doesn't excuse the gameplay's quality and high repetitiveness. Point and click and interactive movie games, however, will normally be excused because their associated genres mainly exist for storytelling itself and are not suppose to focus on engaging gameplay or have good gameplay depth.

Edited by EcoShifter

7 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

JC3 had also notably improved the driving from JC2. JC4 just improved it further, and it's the best it's ever been.

You have to collect a good number of vehicles for the platinum trophy. Motorcycles had poor driving, and I wouldn't call the driving in Just Cause 3 stellar.

Alright, but I typically still see more complaints or criticisms from you regarding openworld games, even ones you haven't played and/or have no interest in getting, like Ghost of Tshisuma and Days Gone iirc.

The issue I have with them is they are formulaic. People nowadays don't want a game that is too linear, they want a graphical vista like Assassin's Creed Valhalla that takes 100+ hours to finish that is filled to the brim with boring side content.

And as far as Sony is concerned that's their main focus. God of War: Ragnarok will probably have a bigger open world than God of War 2018 did, even though that game was still fairly linear. I want games that are linear that aren't too short, but don't overstay their welcome. The Order 1886 was heavily panned for it's price tag ($60 at release) and for it's extremely short length. Half of the game was watching unskippable cutscenes.  But I'm not against a possible sequel. Too many games just take the formula that Assassin's Creed II started back in 2009 and throw in stuff based on what's popular and what's currently trending on the internet.

If Assassin's Creed Odyssey is boring to me I may skip Valhalla entirely. As much as I've invested into the series and as much as I appreciate it's long history, I don't like the direction Ubisoft has taken with the franchise. So I don't really need to fully complete every series I play.

Yes it has, but again, the point isn't about being special. Story as in things like certain plot points and character moments, of which the older games didn't do as much as a good job on. I'm very familiar with Uncharted; I play and get the platinum in all of Naughty Dog's games, which always requires multiple playthroughs. What you said still doesn't rationalize why its overall repetitive design is not just (seemingly) rarely spoken about but basically overlooked. It's not like it has the compelling exploration of searching tombs anywhere near the extent of Tomb Raider or its skill-based climbing/platforming, or popular RPG mechanics that have been accepted in non-RPG games, or anything else similar to remedy the series' very repetitive, very scripted, very streamlined design overall (of course outside charming characters and a well enough told story. . . speaking gp-wise). Most of the good non-story related parts are sporadically spaced inbetween and/or few and far a part the uninteresting combat, climbing, and sometimes puzzle sections. Prioritizing story, especially in an action based genre, doesn't excuse the gameplay's quality and high repetitiveness. Point and click and interactive movie games, however, will normally be excused because their associated genres mainly exist for storytelling itself and are not suppose to focus on engaging gameplay or have good gameplay depth.

Older games from pre 2000 didn't need a story, it was all about the gameplay. Which I prefer, I don't need a story to keep me satisfied with gaming. There is an entire generation who have seemingly purchased games for their stories. Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II, the list goes on. I come from an era where gameplay was simply trial and error, with next to no story. Legend of Zelda games, at least to me, didn't have all that great of a story, at least the earlier ones didn't. But that is hands down my favorite franchise that Nintendo has, and when compared with newer games, the older games in Zelda had rather simplistic plot lines.

Uncharted is basically Hollywood. Naughty Dog is based in Los Angeles, California, I can excuse The Last of Us for having a far superior story in contrast to the Uncharted games. A smart ass protagonist taking down a antagonist/villain intent on corrupting the world is basically on par with old 1980s/1990s Hollywood action movies. The story didn't matter really, it was all about the action sequences. Even a big Indiana Jones fan would probably tell me they weren't hooked to the movies because of the stories, because while they took place in an interesting time period, they were overly simplistic. People watched them because Harrison Ford played the role beautifully, the stunts and the action explosion scenes were the big draw. It's the same reason why people were hooked to old Jackie Chan movies, the stories didn't matter, they were all about him doing those dangerous stunts and performing some impressive feats. That's what Uncharted is to me. It doesn't do anything that we haven't seen before, it borrowed heavily from old 1980s/1990s action movies, and it worked. That's all it needed to be.

Point and click games like what TellTale made and interactive movie games like The Bunker, or David Cage games (Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human) specialize in storytelling. I'm not a big fan of them, but Heavy Rain was interesting enough to play through the entire game, so it wasn't all that bad.

Okay so I’ve finally gotten around to playing this and well.... I’m not that impressed. 

Just Cause 4 has the same sort of plot that Just Cause 3 did. You have a rather formulaic villain who has complete control over an island. This time around, he has weather under his power that gives the Black Hand an edge. 

Most of the time you are simply conquering territory. Early on you run into certain NPCs who introduce you to the various collectibles you have to get in this big island. Basically rinse n repeat. 

Reviews of this game weren’t very high and now I completely understand why. 

Normally I don’t harp on graphics as I’m not a graphic centric guy, but Just Cause 4 has some rather embarrassing graphics. The backgrounds look good as you’re parachuting and wingsuiting your way across the open world. The character models are poor, with hair glitches and bad textures, which look to be a step down from the ones in Just Cause 3. Rico at times looks bad because Avalanche Studios didn’t design him as well as they could of. 

Both Mad Max and Just Cause 3 had some rather pleasing visual details. But here in Just Cause 4 they basically just slapped this together. It still looks unpolished. 

An annoyance for me is there are always button commands on the right side of the screen. I already know the commands, I don’t need to be reminded of them every time I play.

Framerate is better as it’s been pointed out already. But this game in ways feels like a step backwards.